Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Does anybody know if there are any plans to release a 1070 with 11gb of RAM? I have a 770, but I got the 4gb model instead of the standard 2gb. I am playing the new Tomb Raider game on High settings and I attribute its ability to run new games on decent settings to having 4gb instead of 2gb RAM. I am planning on upgrading sometime in the next 6 months and instead of splurging on a 1080ti or whatever I would like to get a 1070 with extra RAM.

Maybe it isn't worth it, or maybe the price difference isn't enough to matter. I haven't really researched, I just know that 3 generations later I am still running new games on decent settings because I made that decision.

Also, I have no actual data/research to base this on but I suspect the PC versions of games like Tomb Raider tend to be a little less resource intensive because they are most likely designed for consoles primarily with a PC port as opposed to games that are PC only or PC first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Stickman posted:

Don't worry about it until you need it - I'd just recommend upgrading your card more often if it becomes an issue. Longevity of (personal) use is a bit overrated, because people forget that their card's used value is depreciating as time goes by. If you consider someone buying in at the ~$400 level (release price, not founder's edition), then going by current 1070/970/770 prices you'd probably only be saving ~$40 every two generations by skipping a generation (rather than selling your card and upgrading each generation), or $100 every 3 generations by skipping two. That's about $15-25 dollars a year saved, but in exchange your leaving large performance gains on the table and going past your warranty (and zeroing the value of a card would totally wipe out any savings).

E: If a card is still sufficient for your purposes, of course don't feel like you need to upgrade - just keep the used value in mind when pricing upgrade costs.

Good points, but I actually give my old card to a friend who can't afford any thing new whenever I upgrade. Been passing down my gaming PC parts to him for like 15 years.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

As someone who regularly collects another type of thing that is limited to small numbers of collector's editions never to be made again and has a big issue with scalpers I am seeing some misconceptions.

The scalpers are so far ahead with the different methods they can use to get stock that there really isn't a way to stop them. They know how to get around one gpu per address and/or per card without a problem. They have all kinds of bots and software that will always be faster than you are and can get around most forms of captcha. nVidia could certainly take steps that would make it harder for them and slow them down allowing a bigger percentage of stock to go to normal folks, but they can never entirely eliminate it. They will always put up all of whatever they got immediately, none of the big ones are holding anything back or waiting to see what happens. They want to sell as fast as possible because the risk is big that Nvidia could announce another huge shipment or any number of other things that could drive the value down and leave them hosed. If there are a low number of listings then that means the stock was never that high to begin with.

Most of these people are scalping anything with limited quantity they can resell for more (sneakers, concert tickets, misc. collectibles, the hottest toy for xmas, etc). It's a cash flow thing and they don't want it tied up longer than it has to be. Ebay has no problem with someone listing an item they don't have yet as long as they state that. If you buy one and the scalper gets their order cancelled they will in turn cancel yours. It's hosed up but Ebay does not give a poo poo as long as they get their cut.

This was always going to happen. Ultimately, it is big profit for little effort so people are always going to go for it. It isn't a problem limited to nVidia, and nobody has come up with a good solution yet.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

5436 posted:

You can tie it to a phone number and cc making that much harder

Nope, that's easy. There are CCs that let you generate a one time use number for an online transaction and they just generate as many unique #s as they need. The professional scalpers have these in addition to just having a lot of different cards. From nVidia's end there is nothing that distinguishes them as being from the same person as far as the card goes. You can easily generate unique phone numbers through things like google voice.

The thing you have to realize is this has been an escalating war between companies and professional scalpers for a decade. Everything people are proposing in this thread has already been done, worked a couple of times, and then a workaround was figured out by the professional scalpers. The BounceAlert group that a few people have mentioned is an exclusive group that charges money to get access to the latest and greatest tools and workarounds. There are many other groups like it, all led by people who do nothing but figure out how to beat pre-order systems and then sell that on to a small group of people that pay them big money.

It's kind of fascinating when you aren't the one getting hosed by it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pivo posted:

TIL I can make money by reverse-engineering crappy e-commerce platforms?

I suppose that's more fun than building them. It does sound like most of the hard stuff is figured out though. There's even captcha solving as a service these days.

Not just make money, you can make an extremely good living if you have enough capital to throw around and you know what you are doing. There are plenty of these professional scalpers making six figures and more. The guys selling the workaround and tools to the scalpers are doing even better, the old sell equipment to the gold miners instead of be a gold miner.

NoDamage posted:

How do they get around requiring unique billing addresses? (And possibly only allowing shipping to the billing address on the card?)

Not sure, I am certainly not an expert in this, just see it all the time in the collectibles I am into and have friends who are into sneakers. I am sure there is a way. I mean at the very least I could easily get 5 friends to let me use their cards/address and still make almost $10k after reselling all five. The people who are buying 30-40 of these at once are not as numerous as the people getting 3-10. If you are successful at it long enough your capital increases and you can afford to buy more.

Sometimes scalpers get theirs. When the 9th edition of Warhammer came out recently a TON of available stock went to scalpers and immediately went on eBay at 2x-3x markup. A day later Games Workshop announced a print on demand order window of 2 weeks essentially making inventory unlimited (you just wouldn't get them as soon as the first physical stock) and scalpers took a giant hit. Some of them had bought 50 boxes and suddenly they couldn't sell them for even what they paid for them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I mean you also have to remember most of these scalpers are not moustache twirling rich assholes that look like Mr. Monopoly. Most of the people that do this grew up lower or at least middle class and didn't graduate from college, but they are smart and saw an opportunity and took it. In the vast arena of morally grey areas to earn money these guys sleep just fine at night. Many of them got started with sneakers. I hate having to compete with them and the effects they have on different industries, but I really can't be that mad at them for doing it. It's certainly the kind of thing that had it been prevalent 15-20 years ago SA would have had a megathread with some of the best pros in the business and a lot of goons would have done it. Hell, if my life had gone a slightly different direction and I didn't have a good career I would be doing it, I mean I sold weed all the way through college (in addition to waiting tables) because I couldn't afford it otherwise so I can't come down on them too hard.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NoDamage posted:

The USPS lets you normalize addresses which should get around this problem.
Hmm, okay. Ultimately the destination address seems like it would be the bottleneck there. You can generate phone numbers, you can generate credit cards, but at the end of the day you have to actually send the product somewhere.

It seems like a lottery based system limited to one entry per street address would be a good start. The lottery means you don't have to beat a bot at filling out forms, and the street address means you can't put in a million entries for a single person.

As others said, a slight different or mispelling in the street address means you can get quite a lot of variations and still have them get to one address. nVidia wouldn't be able to restrict it without manually doing a lot of comparing and they certainly don't have the manpower/money to spend on the effort it would take. If I live at 123 Milton St I can do 123 Milton, 123 Milton Street, 123 Milton St, 123 Miltons, 123 Miltons Street, 123 Miltons St etc. Unless there really is a Milton and Miltons streets in the same zipcode mispelling it by adding an S on the end will still get the package to your door. if I'm nVidia I could do some kind of search for similar spellings but somebody still has to take the time to do the search and make the comparisons between results manually. If you live in an apartment complex you could just leave your apt # off and it will go to the main office, how does nVidia know that 5 people in an 800 unit complex didn't order one legit? And there is always just paying friends and family a $100 each to receive a package that contains nothing illegal.

If you can figure out a way to stop it without costing the sellers a bunch of effort and/or money, and the scalpers legit can't get around it, you yourself could make a living selling this to places like nVidia and Ticketmaster.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's fairly trivial to implement one of those systems that "matches" addresses to some database. It normalizes them so those variations don't work. I've encountered it often enough. There are plenty of places that handle ticket sales and other popular event sales via a lottery with address/ID verification and scalping isn't nearly as rampant. It is rampant in the US because largely companies don't give a poo poo because they get paid and scarcity serves to drive hype. Their war with the scalpers is only a half-assed effort on their part.

Oh absolutely. nVidia isn't making less money because of it. They may be making more because it increases the overall hype and desirability. They also know that the people that got screwed are still going to buy one when it comes back in stock. Very few people are going to just say gently caress it and not buy an nVidia card over it. There just isn't much of an incentive to do anything more than the half-assed effort. As you said though, the point I was originally trying to make was even if they do try they can't stamp it out completely. The places that do get serious about it only make it so it is less rampant, nobody has come close to succeeding in entirely stopping it. The extra steps cost you time and money, why go through them if at the end of the day you'll still be sold out and a bunch of customers still didn't get it and see scalpers with listings on ebay? If there were half as many listings as there actually are right now would the narrative be that much different?

Let's do some math on the scalpers part to see how big of an incentive they have to beat the system. Let's say I manage to buy 30 cards for an investment of $20,970. I can resell those at a 2x-4x markup judging by what people have been posting from the secondary market so I stand to make profit somewhere between $21k - $63k. I'm not risking that entire $21k to do so either. If nVidia does the legwork and manages to catch and cancel 25 of my orders I get refunds on the ones I didn't get and the overall margin percentages are still the same on those 5 cards at 2x-4x the price. The only risk is that something happens that increases stock in the immediate time period after the initial release (like my Warhammer 9th edition example a few posts back) and prevents me from selling the cards at a profit. That is extremely unlikely to happen with an nVidia card because they can only make them so fast. Even if something did happen I am not out my entire investment, I could still reasonably sell those cards for 80% of the price to recoup most of my money.

So this scalper has risked $4.1k to make $21k - $63k. They've spent time and effort sure, but start to finish it isn't all that much relative to the rewards. Can you really blame them? You aren't depriving poor people of food, these are gamers who can afford a $700 GPU that they'll still end up getting before too long.

I'm not defending them, it's a real lovely practice, but I can't garner the levels of outrage I see many people expressing today.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Durzel posted:

“they'll still end up getting before too long.”

You could be talking months though here, if the real price ever goes down at all.

Since supply is always going to be lower than demand there’s no reason not to think that these cards won’t continue to be hoovered up every time they appear in stock, and as said earlier since Nvidia offloads it’s whole e-commerce system to Digital River, using the same API calls to place orders that a bad actor can use, then it really is going to continue to be almost impossible to buy a card by the old fashioned way of clicking buttons.

At that sort of profit margin, or even a third of it, there’s no way that there aren’t going to be more and more bots being set up to capitalise on it.

You’re broadly right though. You can’t get too mad about the scalpers because they’re simply exploiting a weak system and zero desire up and down the system to stamp it out.

Supply will not always be higher than demand at the scalper's price level. We also know from past experience it takes a while for a new GPU production to be ramped up, but it does ramp up. The scalper's have a window they can make money in and they know it. There is not an infinite supply of people willing to pay 2x-4x the MSRP especially as production ramps up and more and more people that have been waiting get it legit.At a certain point the opportunity cost of using their capital for this as scalping prices have fallen to say 1.25x is too big when they could deploy it for the next limited edition sneaker or whatever and get those 2x-4x margins. Sneakers are different because they may only ever make 500 of them so the price usually always rises and never drops.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mA posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's already a 501c4 lobbying group for scalpers and cooking groups a.k.a. "Procurement industry"

I mean if they let people scalp masks during a loving pandemic they ain't gonna get off their asses to pass a law for GPUs and sneakers.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

I mean they objectively didn’t let people scalp masks and sanitizer? A bunch of people got shut the gently caress down for it.

Lol yeah they may have busted a few and paraded them around in front of the press, but the vast majority got away with it. The practice my wife works at was regularly dealing with scalpers in order to get supply for months and there were more stories in the media about it than ones about people being busted. I personally know 2 different people who made over 6 figures doing it.

https://www.wired.com/story/linkedin-coronavirus-medical-equipment-ppe-shortage/amp

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 18, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

axeil posted:

thinking about this more, the great irony in all this is it shows the market largely works. these were priced too low and so as you would suspect, someone came in to try and capture the consumer surplus (the red bit in the graph below)

if anything this might lead to nvidia re-thinking their pricing as they would rather capture it than have 3rd parties get it. (caveat: they may have priced at this point because they're worried about AMD or they have other pricing factors at play we're not aware of like needing the fab equipment for other products that make a higher margin)

They absolutely priced it at this point because of AMD. The same thing happened 15 years ago (or however long it was) when AMD legitimately started competing on nVidia's level the first time. Intel did it to AMD too in the same situation They have the money and the resources to win a price war with AMD among their many other advantages. I doubt nVIdia just completely misread demand and mispriced the market. Somebody did an analysis and decided it was better business to make less in order to bleed AMD dry.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

axeil posted:

then again there might be a huge backlash if 2 weeks from now they cut the price from $1200 to $800. intentionally pissing off your earlier adopters is usually a poor long-term strategy.

I hear the people who paid $1200 for a 2080 Ti that the 3080 blows out of the water aren't too happy. nVidia knows they'll still get their money.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Seen elsewhere but lol:

This is me. I'm upgrading from a 770. I got the 4gb version instead of the 2gb and got so much more useful life out of it. It's only been in the past couple months I encountered a game that just wouldn't load and most games I can play on medium at 1920x1080 just fine. It's why I wish they had a 3080 or 3070 with more RAM.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Scarecow posted:

If youe upgrading from a gen or 2 ago please make sure you are making the right choice, if your buying a 3080 while still rocking a old 1080p monitor thats not like 240hz or still havw a 4 core cpu you would have a much better over all qol experience by getting a 1440p high refresh rate ips monitor, a 3070 or 3060 and a newer CPU then just buying a 3080

Oh for sure. I am getting an entirely new system from the ground up and new monitors. This one has lasted longer by several years than any system I have built in the past though. The extra 2gb of RAM was the best purchase I have made in 20 years of building systems.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

ColTim posted:

A slightly better link (with all the 14 cards listed here) is https://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/...dd.x=53&add.y=9. It includes three more EVGA models and one MSI one.

So is the idea here you keep going back and forth trying to add all of them to your cart until one of them opens up and hopefully you have a card sitting in your cart when you click continue?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Romes128 posted:

When the zotac card was available it was separate from the others and I was able to add it to my cart.

So I guess just click the link until one shows as available.

The Zotac and MSI just popped up as being available on Amazon at $1500 and $1850.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Are people expecting more Best Buy stock? Their page for 3080s keeps going down like it's getting overloaded.

edit: actually the higher level video graphics card landing page is only coming up occasionally and giving an error the rest of the time

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

mA posted:

Unless you know how to write your own script to buy it from Best Buy, you maybe have a 5% chance of nabbing one from their webstore before cook groups or consumers with programming know-how immediately exhaust restocks.

Apparently it might be related to the new xbox preorders because that is this morning and people are complaining about BB not having released them yet or something.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Stapling a bunch of RAM to a GPU the doesn’t need it and then selling it at a higher cost does seem like an easy way to print money.

So I am upgrading from a 770. Most 770s were 2gb but I spent like a $100 extra or something for the 4gb version. It was one of the best computer purchasing decisions I ever made. Had I gone with the 2gb I would have been forced to upgrade 2-3 years ago if I wanted to keep playing newer games at a decent FPS and settings. This summer was the first time I ran into games that wouldn't run at all and/or games that I had to set everything to low.

If you want as much longevity out of this generation as you can, get the extra VRAM. It may not be needed now, but at least in my experience with the 770, it will give you a couple of years extra of usefulness out of it.

I'm not an expert about any of this poo poo so somebody may tell me why that isn't true this time around or whatever, but it does seem to me that VRAM requirements go up faster than the clock speed of the cards.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

spunkshui posted:

I was planning on keeping this GPU for like 6-7 years than that might make sense but I’m not.

Four years of improvement took us from a 1080 to a 3080. I don’t care how much VRAM the 1080 has, 3080 is much better.

Same. I am in a different place in my life now and can afford to upgrade every 2 years or so. When I bought the 770 I knew my next upgrade was a very long ways off and it ended up being an excellent decision.

But there is a reason to get the model with more memory, which is what I was originally replying to. Not for everybody but for some.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got one. Card is charged but no confirmation email yet. A TON of people on the discord are also saying they got one so either they dropped a ton of stock or they are about to start reversing orders. I would guess with cards being charged it's for real.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

^There are supposedly two emails, it is in the 2nd one.

I got the first email and my card was charged and the charge is in authorized not pending status, but still no second email. I hope to god they don't cancel on me now.

So many people successfully placed an order and this situation has gone on for so long if they start cancelling orders that had already charged cards there will be mobs with pitchforks at their offices by morning.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Wiltsghost posted:

Honestly think I'm just going to do the EVGA step up. I really don't have time to constantly f5 sites and I'll at least get to play Cyberpunk on a 2070S. Probably won't arrive until 2021 but oh well. I just want to be on a list and forget about it at this point.

No F5 needed. I just had the discord that has been linked in here open. Not even on voice or general chat. Just had alerts set for the tracking channel on there. When I heard the ping I clicked over to discord clicked the link and added to cart. You'll need to be at your computer when it happens because they won't stay up long but even if you are only on the computer sometimes you will probably get one sooner than step up would go out. Judging by the amount of people that just got an FE off nvidia the stock is going to start moving fast.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I've never looked into water-cooling. How would that work on an FE? Does the case on the card come off so you can mount it? How big of a deal is it to get working? I think WC is overkill for a 3080 at this point but I'm curious.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Euphoriaphone posted:

For people more technical, is it likely the 10 GB VRAM will limit the 3080s in the next few years? The 3080 benches great against current gen games, but once games start to take advantage of the PS5/XSX architecture, will 10 GB VRAM bottleneck the launch 3080s?

Based on my experience owning a 770 with 4gb instead of 2gb, that I am just now upgrading to a 3080, it will not make much difference for a few years, but if you are trying to get the maximum possible life out of it then it will certainly give you a couple years more useful life out of it as vram requirements seem to creep up faster than other specs.

I'm not an expert by any means but having that extra ram meant I could go until now before being forced to upgrade instead of 2-3 years ago. If you want maximum life out of it you could get a regular EVGA 3080 now and don't register for step up until the last day and hope the higher vram version is an option by then.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Has anybody who got one of the FEs on Wednesday night had their order get past "processing"? I got the two emails and my card was charged that night, but my order still shows processing. Admittedly, I went with the regular 5-6 day shipping because I was trying to click through as fast as possible, but I would have expected it to ship by now, much less get past "processing" status.

Ugh all my new computer components will be here by Thursday and I'm gonna have this monster system and have to stick my 770 in it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

All I know is I tried to order a CPU from them on Friday night and couldn't because they had checkout disabled for Shabbat

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

redreader posted:

What's the deal with the 30 series and power connectors? Do the cards come with some kind of adapter for the 12-pin or do you need to get something from your PSU manufacturer? I got the corsair off their site. When I first tried the site seemed broken, the actual 'buy' button at the end of the entire order process was broken. It worked a couple of minutes ago, though so I got a corsair 850.

As others has said it comes with an adapter, but Corsair is about to release its own 12 pin connector that will be less ugly and takes up less space than the adapter. If you search their site they have an article about it where you can sign up to be notified when it releases. I also got the 850w Corsair and I will be grabbing their cable when it releases.

Sagebrush posted:

Soo I looked it up and it turns out that

The 12 pin connector has six 12v circuits, each rated for a theoretical maximum of 9A

The 8 pin connector has three 12v circuits, each rated for a theoretical maximum of 8A, plus two sense pins

Contact resistance on both connectors is specified as 10mΩ

Both connectors' theoretical maximum power capacity (648W for the 12-pin, 576W for dual 8-pin) is far above the peak power draw of any available card

So it remains unclear why they made the 12-pin connector.

It may not be needed now but eventually it will be. Nvidia probably figures if they do it now it gives time for PSU suppliers to incorporate it in their next gen. Just a guess.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Warmachine posted:

9/23 gang check your fedex reference numbers

Sorry what is the fedex reference number? The tracking number? I've only got a processing order and payment successful email. Did others get a 3rd email with a tracking number or is that number coming from somewhere else?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

BabelFish posted:

9/24 order of a 3090 here with next business day shipping, FedEx label was created this morning so there's apparently some movement going on Minnesota.

Go here https://www.fedex.com/en-us/tracking.html and chose 'track by reference' then take your nvidia store order number and put a '-' on the end. Put your country and zip code in, then for shipping day chose today (or try last Friday if it does not show up with today's date)

Oh wow. It says delivery by end of today but there is no history beyond Shipment information sent to fedex.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

BabelFish posted:

Very little usually, does it say "The delivery date may be updated when FedEx receives the package." or "Shipping label has been created. The status will be updated when shipment begins to travel." under your estimate? They just do those estimates assuming businesses create the label on the same day they're planning to hand the package to FedEx.

Rubellavator posted:

Mine had said 9/27 from when I ordered on 9/23. Getting the shipping label created is merely the first step.

Mine says status will be updated when shipment begins to travel. drat, I got really excited for a second there. My new components will be here Wednesday and I was really hoping I wasn't going to have to stick my 770 in the new system while I wait, but I did standard shipping because I was trying to order before it went back out of stock. Oh well, I guess that means I will have time to get everything put together and install windows to my liking while I wait for the 3080 to arrive.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

IT HAS ARRIVED. God this 3080 is so heavy. What is the best GPU sag support to get? No way I am going without, it feels heavy enough it would just snap the connection as soon as I stand up my case.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hemish posted:

I keep seeing people mentioning deliveries on the weekend? Is that a thing in the US? Also deliveries past 5pm is unheard of for me... I'm in Canada and I never heard of any transport companies doing poo poo on the weekend. Even tracking completely stop during the weekend and won't budge from whatever sorting center it landed in transit before the weekend let alone actual deliveries.

As for my GPU story, my monitor is still on order (well backorder) since September 22nd so I'm not in a rush to get the RTX 3080 but I'm still amazed at how low the stock is. I think Amazon Canada didn't receive a single EVGA RTX 30XX since launch... With all the newegg horror stories I'm waiting until I can buy an EVGA the normal way on Amazon, I'm in no rush until I get my monitor because RTX 3080 at 1200p 60hz is kind of a waste anyway.

It used to not be a thing. Amazon came and now it is very much a thing. It's kind of insane what Amazon has done to shipping logistics in America. When I was living in Dallas I could get most things delivered in under 2 hours. It was great when we had a baby. Run out of diapers? Instead of loading up, going to the store, unloading, shopping, loading up, and unloading at home, I could get diapers delivered in about the same amount of time. Lifesaver.

With the pandemic, my wife and I almost never go to the store now. We get groceries delivered from instacart and 95% of everything else off of Amazon. Almost all of it next day, sometimes same day. Because of this fedex and ups have had to step up their game and now everybody delivers on Saturday and sunday. I get deliveries as late as 9pm if I am one of the last ones on the route.

It's insanely convenient but Jesus Christ the amount of cardboard we generate, not to mention all the carbon from all the delivery vehicles, is insane. At first I thought the whole thing about deliveries in death stranding causing societal issues and delivery cults to pop up was way over the top but then I thought about it and Kojima may just be a prophet.

The drones will be coming soon and it's going to be even crazier.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Speaking of fans, what are the best 140mm case fans that are also quiet?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DrDork posted:

So, a lot of people totally forgot about EVGA Elite Membership (including me).

Well guess what else I forgot about? If you're an Elite member, you can make yourself an Associate by clicking a few buttons, and you get a discount code to give out. Everyone who can, should, if for no other reason than to swap codes with friends/goons.

It gives 5% off GPUs, and 5-10% off other things they sell, too. The "Associate" gets a few EVGA Bucks as a kickback, too, which ain't bad.

Not sure we need to start a code chain here, but for any of you I-signed-up-for-notifications-back-in-Sep goons who want the discount: Associate Code: 2T1AHU3MA8KZ7VY

Like you will have time to put in a discount code before it goes out of stock

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

I’m so glad I was lucky enough to snag Corsair’s 12 pin -> 2x8 cable during the 10 minutes they were available. My FE cabling finally looks miles ahead of the stock adapter.

Where did you get this? Was it available off Corsair's site or a 3rd party?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bus hustler posted:

VR is super fun but I just dont have the effort to set up like... room VR for a good HL alyx experience. But VR is super fun, I got a cheaper headset at the start of covid. I enjoy watching VR cat videos, tetris effect is super fun when stoned, etc.

MSFS is honestly exactly the game that should go in VR and is very mainstream VR. You will be laughing while I'm crashing into groverhaus in VR. VR VR VR.

HalloKitty posted:

Eh, Half-Life Alyx on my vive with a good amount of space is actually a pretty good experience, as are a handful of the other titles available, although I do admit that some of them are a few years old now, from when there was a burst of VR activity.
But yeah, people generally don't have the space and cash to make VR a good experience.

This is outdated thinking since the Quest 2 release. It's wireless with no tracking equipment required. It adapts just as well to having a few feet of space as having an entire room. It's completely standalone or you can get even better performance by linking it to your PC, which you can do wirelessly with the virtual desktop app. The visual quality is great and better than other much more expensive headsets. All that for just $300.

The only downside is the facebook account thing which is understandably a turnoff for some, but it's getting close to being jailbroken and that will no longer matter then either.

If you've been on the fence on VR or think it's a gimmick the quest 2 addresses all your concerns I promise. There are quite a lot of good games and the quest 2 sales have been way higher than previously so there will be a lot more investment coming. Come on over to the Quest 2 thread.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Some Goon posted:

You don't need the space for the sensors, you need the space for the space. Seated / standing / small areas are cool, but having a full room for a playfield is another level.

Yeah absolutely more space is better but the way the quest deals with smaller spaces or even no space with the way you can dynamically set the boundary size is great. I only have access to a room space sometimes and the rest of the time have about 2 ft in any direction and it still is a ton of fun. And all without having to move sensors around or deal with any wires.

It's the first iteration of VR that I feel like has actually delivered on the promise of VR and for only $300. Oculus has done an amazing thing here and I think a lot of people still have the impression of VR being this overly complicated gimmick. Quest 2 changed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

MeruFM posted:

The biggest issue with oculus is its close association with facebook that many people would not touch with a 10 foot pole. Doubly so nerds who are into VR.

Yeah it really is a big black mark. The quest 2 is close to being jailbroken though so once that happens you won't need a Facebook account.