Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Mischitary posted:

The fact that the Farplane was super nebulous and weird in FFX actually added to it's mystique.

As for Final Fantasy XIII, I might be crazy but for me during the entire beginning portion of the game, probably up until the Barthandelus fight, I was super hooked on the game. Everything made sense to me, the characters although maybe annoying to some didn't really bother me that much and they all pretty much had their motivation. The concept that having an uncaring, unloving, almost omnipotent god like figure take notice of you being the worst thing that could possibly happen was very interesting to me. Hell it even seemed like they were developing some villains, Yaag and Jihl were doing bad things and I was getting excited as the prospect of them getting further characterization and that I would get boss battles with them in the future.

It wasn't until people say the game actually "gets good" that it started to fall apart for me. Those omnipotent god-like beings are now either just cackling villains or weird huge animal/monsters that can be killed by dudes, and you have to wander around pulse after fleeing Cocoon to...go back to Cocoon and destroy Cocoon to save Cocoon? What are you talking about? Did anybody know that Fang/Vanille were going to become the crystal pillar beforehand or did they just get extremely lucky that Cocoon didn't crash to the earth and kill everyone? It just got so bad.

Jihl Nabart
The biggest dissapointment of FFXIII. She looks like some business woman hassling Sazh, preparing to be penultimate boss, and then everyone comes together on the airship and she dies via Barthandelus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

They tried to make that awful loving novel canon, didn't they? :negative:

i don't think so but it will always be canon to me

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

They tried to make that awful loving novel canon, didn't they? :negative:
Someone post that funny thing someone made about the bit where Tidus kicked a bomb.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Nihilarian posted:

Someone post that funny thing someone made about the bit where Tidus kicked a bomb.

Someone also did a Chainsaw Lollipop photoshop as well, but I couldn't find it. I also tried reading the excerpt as Maechen

I want it to be canon, it's too stupid for words. :getin:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 8, 2014

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Trying to play FFXHD is nearly impossible after becoming accustomed to Persona 4 Golden's fast forward feature. X has so much slow, awkwardly spoken dialog that you can't skip. :suicide:

It makes me seriously consider playing the original X in an emulator so that I can frameskip.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

snow is interesting for the like 30 minutes he's in the game. that bit where he fights gilgamesh? loving awesome

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Nomura is on a roll. First Batman, now Hatsune Miku:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201410/09063177.html

Anyone want to photoshop the FFXV crew in front of it?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Postal Parcel posted:

Jihl Nabart
The biggest dissapointment of FFXIII. She looks like some business woman hassling Sazh, preparing to be penultimate boss, and then everyone comes together on the airship and she dies via Barthandelus.

Jihl's death was easily one of the best things in FF13

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

Jesus, that is unnerving as poo poo.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sunning posted:

That is monstrous.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sunning posted:

what have they done to my miku!?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Slap bang in the middle of the Uncanny Valley, alright. :stonk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Someone also did a Chainsaw Lollipop photoshop as well, but I couldn't find it. I also tried reading the excerpt as Maechen

I want it to be canon, it's too stupid for words. :getin:

It's like FFX done by the team that writes the Hildibrand questline in FF15.

Sunning posted:

Because if there's one thing Japan's VR Anime Idol Waifu needs, is to look even more human. :stonk:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sunning posted:

Yikes

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
I've never played a Final Fantasy before, which one is the best? Where should I start?

Koke
Sep 22, 2014

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

I've never played a Final Fantasy before, which one is the best? Where should I start?

start with six or eight, imo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Depends if you want to go up or down in terms of quality.

X is a pretty good launching point all things considered.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

What sort of setting do you like? D&D style Castles and dragons? Or more futuristic stuff? They run the whole gamut.
Each game is pretty different from one another; 10's not a bad place to start, or 9 (massive personal bias for this one).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 9, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sunning posted:

Have fun with Miku!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
How can you hate MECHA-ZACK?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What am I supposed to be seeing in this Miku picture that is so scary? No idea who she is but it just looks like a standard FF character to me.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

X is the best but if you start with that one, all the others might be disappointing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

The answer to both those questions is Lost Odyssey.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ragequit posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing in this Miku picture that is so scary? No idea who she is but it just looks like a standard FF character to me.

You're in luck, just tune into the David Letterman show tonight to find out

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Final Fantasy VII. It's where I started the series, over ten years ago. It holds up in my opinion.

Also a remake of Final Fantasy IV is now on Steam. I bought it. I need to play it still but I love FFIV so ifyou want a great game with upgraded graphics and battle system and voice-acting, check it out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

XIII's up for Pre-load on Steam. That is one big fuckin' download. Hope this is a decent port.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
In FFX-2, what all carries over through a New Game Plus and what doesn't? I missed a few things here and there, most notably the Trainer dressphere. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to do all the chapter 5 sidequests and postgame stuff before or after NG+.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

maou shoujo posted:

In FFX-2, what all carries over through a New Game Plus and what doesn't? I missed a few things here and there, most notably the Trainer dressphere. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to do all the chapter 5 sidequests and postgame stuff before or after NG+.

Percentage, dressspheres, garment grids, time, accessories? (I think)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

X is the best but if you start with that one, all the others might be disappointing.
I started with X and feel exactly the same way as this guy. Especially when I bought the DS remake of FF III.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

mateo360 posted:

Percentage, dressspheres, garment grids, time, accessories? (I think)

What about experience levels, abilities learned, beastiary completion, and fiend tale completion? Those are the main things I'm concerned with since they take a ton of grinding to max out.

edit: Fiend Arena tournament and team unlocks too, since those also take a lot of time.

maou shoujo fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 9, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
That Hatsune Miku poo poo is weird like...why would they want Tetsuya Nomura to do Hatsune Miku? People call Nomura's art anime bull-poo poo all the time but if you look at the kinds of art Japanese nerds who love Miku are into it sure as hell don't look like something Nomura would do.

I mean this is probably the biggest Kawaii-cute anime girl stereotype Nomura has ever done:

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

X is the most modern one that a lot of people like and is easily available. Of all of the ones you can get on a PS3 though, I like 7, 8, and 9 all more than 10 but not by a large margin, but they're all more archaic. Mostly just in the presentation though.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The answer to both those questions is Lost Odyssey.

That game isn't even a Final Fantasy game. Also 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are all better than Lost Odyssey. I'm not as huge a fan of 4 as some people but even 4 might be better. As someone who could stomach FF9's battle system being slow LO's is so unbearably tedious to me. Also, none of the RPG gimmicks in the game are as cool as something like Materia or Espers or even Junctioning.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

maou shoujo posted:

What about experience levels, abilities learned, beastiary completion, and fiend tale completion? Those are the main things I'm concerned with since they take a ton of grinding to max out.

edit: Fiend Arena tournament and team unlocks too, since those also take a lot of time.

you start at level 1, abilities are kept, all beastiary and fiend tale. (I looked up a gamefaqs guide and the FF wiki for the fiend tale and beastiary stuff)

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

If you grew up playing PS1 games, start with FFVII. If anything else, start with FFX.

EDIT: The PS1 series haven't aged terribly well so it'd be rough to recommend them as a first FF game if you won't be able to tolerate their lo-fi visuals. FFIX holds up decently but is best saved until after you've played/beat a couple of FF games. It's a FF game for FF fans, I think.

LoudLoudNoise fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 9, 2014

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

mateo360 posted:

you start at level 1, abilities are kept, all beastiary and fiend tale. (I looked up a gamefaqs guide and the FF wiki for the fiend tale and beastiary stuff)

Ah, I should I have thought to check the wiki. I see they have a pretty comprehensive list. The most bothersome ones I see are thunder plains tower calibration, Bikanel island digging results, and fiend arena team unlocks. I think I'll do most of the sidequests available first, and catch creatures from any new areas they unlock (like the jumbo creatures from the cactuar sidequest's cave). Then I'll do a NG+ when all that's left is Via Infinito, before starting on VI itself. Thanks for the replies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

project diva

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Why is FFXIII 60 gigs on steam?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Himuro posted:

Apparently it was 40 gigs on PSN, so hopefully mostly because they were up-resing assets or poo poo.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

CG cutscenes?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sunning posted:

Granted I know virtually nothing about this virtual anime girl, but Nomura's version seems to look pretty much like she's normally depicted (that is to say, completely bog-standard Anime schoolgirl), but in 3D. This in no way compares to his "batman" monstrosity.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

There is no best. Can't you read? Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the worst game in the series.
That said, if you don't mind 16-bit sprite-based games, I'd say a SNES Final Fantasy is a good place to start (I'd say VI or V). They tend to be shorter and less up their own rears than later games in the series, and give a good feel for "classic" Final Fantasy. Earlier games have too many quality of life problems and bugs to really enjoy as a first outing, and later games got a lot more experimental in setting and game systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Himuro posted:

It's a console game so size soars (Fuckin Uncharted 3 is stupidly big for such a small, linear game) and also weebs got what weebs wanted so the japanese audio and video (Mouth flaps to match so different render) for the cutscenes are included so that ups the size as well.