Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

penguinmambo posted:

Coming fresh of X2 and its job system (which mostly own, though there's some you sort of get then never use again) and not really having played the early ones, what other FFs use the job system or close approximation without feeling like there's a bunch of useless jobs?

I think X-2 does a pretty good job of making all the jobs useful to some degree. At least it doesn't have anything comparable to 5's Berserker or Tactics' Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

The Al/Chemist is still as broken as ever, though.

Not really. It's very useful and fun, it has advantages and disadvantages compared to other jobs.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Now to figure out what I want to do next. Maybe that "Extreme" FJF I was talking about.

Do something with X-2. Not enough people do challenge runs in that game.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It's just a shame that X-2 is pretty much physically impossible to 100% without a guide of some sort. (I'm looking at you, Chapter 4 commsphere watchathon.)

It really isn't impossible at all, you just have to be thorough in finding those percentage points.

Trasson posted:

Challenge runs in X-2 are actually really interesting because the game gives you a large number of Garment Grids/Accessories that provide a bevy of options but are usually wasted because why would you equip something to let you cast Fire/Cure/Protect when you could spherechange into the proper class instead? In a challenge run, weighing those options instead becomes incredibly important.

In fact, that's making me want to get back to my Songstress only run. I might do that when I'm done with my current Fiesta run (which I have again been distracted from by Xenoblade. I may have overdrawn on my leisure activities...)

Another good thing about challenge runs in X-2 is that New Game+ lets you bypass sidequests and grinding. Instead of doing monkey mating in Chapter 2 for that Soul of Thamasa or grinding for AP, just start your challenge run on a file that already has those things.

Another fun way to approach challenges in X-2 is to limit levels/garment grids/accessories/items but give full access to dresspheres. That will force you to take advantage of dressphere abilities and find uses for them you thought you never would, and it could require you to change DS during battle a lot (which was the intention with the battle system but normally the game is too easy to bother with doing that).

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 7, 2012

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
People are always going to find excuses to hate on X-2. It's like they don't like the game for some personal subjective reason, but then they have to justify the hate to others by making up poorly thought out, nonsensical faults. And a lot of the time the things that people complain about in X-2 are also present in every other FF game.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Just because you don't agree with people's "poorly though out, nonsensical faults" doesn't mean they aren't a problem. The game is positively bloated with tedious, pointless, and/or irritating sidequests. People praise the battle system, but it often feels like you never actually get in fights because you're always doing stupid bullshit instead. Everything is presented with a thick veneer of Sailor Moon magical girl power, including slow-motions costume changes and sparkle explosions when you select anything from the menu. Most of the game is supposed to be a campy ridiculous romp (which is SO over-the-top that it understandably immediately alienates at least half the people that attempt to play it), except where it's not and suddenly expects the player to take it seriously, resulting in serious mood whiplash. It has horrible pacing and boringly meanders for the first three or so chapters, including the horrible chapter that includes just watching boring commspheres occasionally interspersed with bland NPCs you don't give a poo poo about.

I have problems with the battle system too, but those are much more subjective concerns. Point is, X-2 is deeply, deeply flawed, and just because it's not widely accepted does not make it a magical shining diamond in the rough without problems.

What a lot of words to say very little. It's not a flaw that sidequests/NPCs/Sailor Moon are in the game, you just don't like that kind of stuff. Instead of saying the game is deeply flawed just accept that it's okay to simply not like those parts. And holy poo poo, complaining about the sparkles in the menu? What a stupidly insignificant thing to complain about.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Really, all X-2 has going for it is the battle system. Pretty much everything else is crap. People say how it addresses the important issues of how people handle suddenly being freed of the constant fear of death from Sin, with political strife and infighting. And then they resolve all these problems with... a J-Pop concert. Well, clearly they gave this a lot of thought and handled it maturely.

It's funny how, with minor game-specific changes, this paragraph could apply to every FF.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Fungah! posted:

The game's got flaws, though. That's not really an opinion, it's a statement of fact. The sidequests suck pretty hard by and large and are a big part of the gameplay and you basically need a guide open in front of you to get the good ending and even then it's extremely tedious. Not liking the aesthetic or whatever, that's an opinion, but discounting pretty significant gameplay issues with "that's just like, your opinion, man" is a little disingenuous.

A lazy statement like "the sidequests suck pretty hard" is gonna get a lazy response, dude.

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure very few of the posters here actually think Final Fantasy 'addresses important issues' in any way that does not make them want to roll their eyeballs out of their head.

Exactly, X-2 is no different from any other FF in that regard. That's my point.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

penguinmambo posted:

I'd have to say X-2's worst bits is its a very "Strategy Guide" type game mostly because of the 100% Completion gimmick hanging over the game (once I heard only the ending changes, I personally ignore worrying about that but I know others do care). There's a shitload of sidequests, some of which are *time-sensitive* or unintuitive so you're never sure what exactly "counts" for completion. I get the New Game + feature is supposed to address this, but at some point its pretty transparently "buy the associated strategy guide"/"everyone will look up a walkthrough"/"Just an ending is something you can youtube" deal.

Which ones are unintuitive?

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Just because you don't agree with people's "poorly though out, nonsensical faults" doesn't mean they aren't a problem. The game is positively bloated with tedious, pointless, and/or irritating sidequests. People praise the battle system, but it often feels like you never actually get in fights because you're always doing stupid bullshit instead. Everything is presented with a thick veneer of Sailor Moon magical girl power, including slow-motions costume changes and sparkle explosions when you select anything from the menu. Most of the game is supposed to be a campy ridiculous romp (which is SO over-the-top that it understandably immediately alienates at least half the people that attempt to play it), except where it's not and suddenly expects the player to take it seriously, resulting in serious mood whiplash. It has horrible pacing and boringly meanders for the first three or so chapters, including the horrible chapter that includes just watching boring commspheres occasionally interspersed with bland NPCs you don't give a poo poo about.

I have problems with the battle system too, but those are much more subjective concerns. Point is, X-2 is deeply, deeply flawed, and just because it's not widely accepted does not make it a magical shining diamond in the rough without problems.

Fungah! posted:

The game's got flaws, though. That's not really an opinion, it's a statement of fact. The sidequests suck pretty hard by and large and are a big part of the gameplay and you basically need a guide open in front of you to get the good ending and even then it's extremely tedious. Not liking the aesthetic or whatever, that's an opinion, but discounting pretty significant gameplay issues with "that's just like, your opinion, man" is a little disingenuous.

Yeah, posts like these only support my earlier point that people just aren't satisfied disliking a game, for some reason (ego?) it has to be legitimately terrible. Doesn't help when these posts are so vague with worthless words like "tedious" "pointless" and "irritating"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't see how "tedious" is a worthless word at all. It's subjective, but not worthless.

You're right, "tedious" is subjective. That's why it's nonsensical to call X-2's sidequests tedious as a "statement of fact" and worthless when you don't explain yourself any further.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
So can anyone explain to me what's so bad about X-2 reusing art assets from X? Was SE supposed to wait a few years so that the sequel could come out for the PS3 just so the graphics would look better? Is it cool to be a graphics whore these days?

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

They could, but probably not in any way your cracked little mind would ever accept.

Don't hold out on me, man! Try to explain. I'm all ears.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Silly Voodoo posted:

Why are you still trying to pick a fight? The thread hasn't talked about X-2 for pages.

Why do you think I'm trying to pick a fight? And why do I have to wait until "the thread," like it's some monolithic entity, decides to talk about X-2 to ask a question? People bring up new topics all the time since this is the FF megathread. Seriously, what the hell?

I would still like to hear people's viewpoints about this.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

*sigh, why do I even respond* Or it could be because Square charged full price for a game where 95% of the enemies and 95% of the locations (as well as countless sound effects, music, animations, obviously the graphics engine, etc.) were completely copied & pasted from X. X-2 probably required about 1/100th of the resources to make as one of their main-lines, but cost just as much. It suggests a game that was shoveled out quickly to make a quick buck, regardless of how you feel about the storyline or characters or battle system.

So it's not really about the re-used assets, but that you think the game is overpriced? Whether is was intended to just make a quick buck or not says nothing about the quality of the game.

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think anyone would really expect a complete graphics overhaul for a direct sequel, but they could've given you some more new locations that weren't completely square gray corridors that probably took a half hour to design. X told the story of a pilgrimage- you would logically follow the path from temple to temple, which explains the corridor-like structure of areas in X. In X-2, you start off with an airship and are exploring the ENTIRE WORLD for spheres; so why is it you can STILL only walk down the exact same paths in the same areas you went down in X?

This is a serious question: What would be the point of many major new locations? Would the new locations replace the old ones or would they just be added on? Is it solely that you just want to see new scenery? I don't know, to me the main function of locations is to hold the battles, items, sidequests, etc. The reused ones from X do the job just fine and still look good. The ability to jump around to see other parts was a pretty good idea, too, I think.

Schwartzcough posted:

The game isn't using the Tidus-beats-dog; Wakka-beats-bug rock-paper-scissors system of X, which I suspect was the reason X was lacking in enemy variety to begin with- it easily let people identify an enemy's "weakness." There was no reason more new enemy varieties couldn't be introduced in X-2.

Enemies look the same but they play differently than they do in X. More variety is always a good thing, though.

Fungah! posted:

Because every drat post you've made in the last few pages has been you aggressively defending an OK game by refusing to listen to anyone else's criticisms of it and now you're trying to swing the thread conversation back that way when no one else wants to talk about it.

Look at the arrogance in this post. Get over yourself, dude.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

Actually that's not entirely accurate even by the mod creator's own admission. The thing with that mod is for one is makes a boatload of changes to FFT base mechanics and on top of that the extreme difficultly essentially makes all strategies you learned playing vanilla FFT completely useless. The game requires you to master an entire new set of strategies that mainly revolve around "sandbagging" which is a term coined by the 1.3 community which refers to constantly reviving fallen party members in order to survive. The enemy AI will do this too so almost every battle is one of attrition.

It sucks and I hate it.

There is no strategy in vanilla FFT (grinding for hours at Mandalia Plains doesn't count as strategy)

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I've wanted an action-RPG based on the class-system from FFV with the ability to change classes on the fly and equip sub-abilities for some time, but that'd be almost like a dream project that'd be extremely unlikely to see today.

So like a cross between DMC4 and FFX-2? That would be amazing.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

victrix posted:

X-2 question

I've never played this before (I am dancing my heart out), does the game give you room to really use and abuse the mechanics against tough bosses/enemies/areas later in the game, or is it a waste of time to try and build up the girls?

I'm still at the very beginning, but the combat system looks really ace, it'd be a shame if I can't take it for a ride against some worthy targets later in the game.

Variable ATB and an instant switch in-battle job system? Oh my :swoon:

(Also I want to know ahead of time after the crushing disappointment of 13-2's ezmodo gameplay :eng99:)

The game is really easy, but on the flip side it's one of the best FF games for challenge runs. Don't listen to people who say to use only one or two DS - take full advantage of the in-battle switching if only for the fun of it. Do play around with Chaining attacks together, and maybe try some variant of a Low Level game if you really want to explore the battle mechanics.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Trasson posted:

Additionally, like someone above mentioned, there's a lot of room for challenge runs. One of my favorite times playing X-2 was beating the story with just three Gunners. The final bosses required me to use pretty much every tool available and still I got wiped a couple of times. If you can forgive the reused art assets, the not FFX music, and the (to be kind) odd plot, there's a really fun and excellent game hidden in X-2.

3 Gunners is probably my favorite Single Class challenge. Most of the time, though, I prefer to do challenges that emphasize the more unique aspects of X-2: in-battle job switching, chain attacks, tons of abilities, etc. A while ago I started a run with the goal of defeating each boss in a single chain attack, all while on levels 1/1/2. It was pretty awesome seeing 9999 as early as Guardian Beast :black101:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Barudak posted:

Death to the Massage Minigame.

That was the best minigame.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But it's not just the aesthetics, it's just the complete lack of substance every single scene has. None of the main characters act or speak like actual human beings--certainly not women. The game is almost blanketly misogynistic, and I'm not using that term lightly here. The whole point of the main cast being girls is so they can dance around in skimpy outfits--the entire purpose of the game's plot, story and direction is to showcase their sexuality in a myriad of exploitative ways, whilst at the same time taking the original story and retroactively cheapening every one of its major plot twists by expanding upon them pointlessly and clumsily. It's absolutely god-awful at almost every turn, and the only way you can possibly glean enjoyment out of it is if you are somehow capable of enjoying watching a bunch of air-headed twits babble at each other in moonspeak and nonsense.

Still better than X

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Fixed that for you. X-2 is frustrating. I agree that much of the story is mind-numbingly stupid (even for a FF game), and the female leads are there for exploitation rather than for presenting strong female leads, but I also agree is had a pretty fun battle system. What really makes it frustrating is that you don't actually spend all that much time battling! That game is like 15% cutscenes filled with irritating characters being obnoxious (I'm looking squarely at you, Brother), 10% battles, and 75% horrible horrible minigames. It's like they looked at FFX and said, "you know what we need to be absolutely certain we carry over to the sequel? The horrible minigames that everyone abhorred. Except we need to make them worse! Turn that blitzball game into a dull team manager sim! Now let's add a sidequest where you need to talk to everyone in the world and give them the correct answer out of a totally random 3 options!" Ugh.

Are you as excited for the remaster as I am? The coliseum looks to be tons of fun. I hear you can even win Mascot and a bunch of other rare stuff from fighting battles there, so you don't need to go through a lot of the minigames anymore.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

What are you guys talking about, FFX's story was terrible on every level. :psyduck: For all that I liked the gameplay I could never finish the game because it kept punishing with ti'S terrible story and characters.

Its gameplay isn't good either. The cutscenes in X are so cringe-worthy. I'd be embarrassed playing that game with other people in the room.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Meh, the only really cringe-worthy one I remember...we all remember, is the infamous laughing scene. Even with the justification that it's meant to be awkward ingame (the other characters don't know what the gently caress to think), it's still pretty cringe-worthy.

I liked the story to X, as far as JRPG plots go, I didn't think it was too bad. It's coherent, at the very least.

Tidus acting like an annoying child in the beginning of the game, the melodramatic scenes at Home, that FMV of Rikku undressing, any scene involving Tidus and Jecht, it's all pretty terrible.

edit: oh yeah the Biran and Yenke scenes. Those were just horrendous.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

*Didn't bother me.
*JRPG - I'd be complaining if there wasn't any melodrama :colbert:
*Yeah okay - I'll agree on that one - must've repressed that scene.
*You really think the...three, four(?) scenes they share together were that terrible?

Gratuitous crossfades and Tidus' terrible voice acting just made scenes so much worse, so even though the story was just as bad as other FF's, the presentation made it unbearable.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

How's the story "bad" as such? You've mentioned Tidus et al, but what's bad about the actual story? Just the presentation? The pacing, characters, the actual narrative itself? Just curious, that's all.

I mean, I can think of many things I didn't like about X, but to me it feels more...I dunno, better put together, more cohesive than something like XIII, and a lot tighter than XII.

Better than XII and XIII isn't saying much. Yuna gets kidnapped so many times because her guardians are useless. I didn't care about Wakka's stupid blitzball match. Tidus and Yuna's pairing felt too forced. Everyone was like, hey, they just met and they're two beautiful young people, of course they'll get together! Wakka's a racist rear end in a top hat. Lulu does nothing of importance. Seymour is the stupidest villain ever. Tidus going on about "sin's toxins" was the most awkward thing every single time he uses it as an excuse. Getting transported to the desert made no sense.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Cloche posted:

I'm not defending the game because I really don't care but it strikes me as silly when people use stuff like this or even lamer complaints (e- emo) as an effortless way to dismiss a character.

Oh noo a realistic flaw that gels with the setting and provides opportunities for personal growth, what a drag

I just didn't like him. He was cool in X-2 though.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think you're confusing the Tidus/Yuna pairing with Squall/Rinoa. People in FFX are more, 'well, if he makes her happy, ah well.' Especially since Spira is a world where people marry young because of Sin.

Tidus stops talking about Sin's toxin after what, Luca?

Really, it's fine if you don't like FFX's plot, but most of these aren't representative of the plot as a whole.

The relationship between Tidus and Yuna is pretty key to the plot, and it was dumb how people talk about them being together before they even leave Besaid.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

All this FF7 talk makes me want to replay it too. Who can recommend a fun and interesting challenge run for me to attempt?

Read the LP of it and play another game with actually good gameplay.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dude if you don't enjoy materia slotting and makin broken rear end set ups I'm not sure what RPG you're gonna enjoy.

You don't have the capability to make anything interesting beyond the most basic materia combinations until you're like a dozen hours into the game.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

You don't have all your options at the start and are in fact, fairly simple and limited for the beginning of the game????

Surely you jest, no jRPG does that! EVER!

The training wheels don't come off until near the end of the game, and most of the interesting materia is optional. It's boring enough for a first time playthrough, nevermind replays.

Dross posted:

There's a good reason for that, and it is the fact that shoving the entirety of an arcane and completely made up system down the players' throats at the get go will confuse them and make them quit (see: the reason why roguelikes have a much smaller fanbase than CRPGs). Concepts need to be spoonfed for maximal effectiveness because not everyone wants to play alongside a FAQ at all times.

It's really not that complicated. Maybe for children, though.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Dross posted:

The other reason is that giving things to you one at a time encourages you to try everything without feeling like you're wasting time or having to grind.

There's a happy middle ground between giving you everything at once, and making most of the interesting stuff optional and not available until closer to the end of the game.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Compared to a lot of jRPGs that came out around and before it it's actually kind of really complicated? Like, being able to slot abilities and weird loving passive poo poo that can completely change how your character interacts with poo poo in combat is pretty loving insane, even today. It's while the first blue/purple materia you get early on are the least bullshity/changey because they wanted you to slowly learn and understand the system.

Like yeah we get it now, after we've played the game and it's been out and people have been playing it for a loving Decade but when it first came out it was a pretty unique and complex system.

That's nice. Still not a good reason to play the game today.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Because it's fun? How's that for a reason.

You sure got me there.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Just cause Azure got banned doesn't mean this thread needs a new worst poster, man.

But yeah, FF7, still pretty fun game with a pretty okay story and some interesting narrative and mechanical bits. 3/10-IGN

Equipping this materia decreases my HP by 3%? My mind is blown, I need 5 more hours of game time before I can handle something new. This is insane, guys.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

That huge brain is also the brain that came up with the opus that Cloud was a closet homosexual because he was constantly being dominated by Tifa and Aeris, so yeah, guy's just really desperate for attention.

That wasn't me. Also, I wouldn't consider myself desperate for attention by giving my opinion on FF7 in the FF thread.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Dross posted:

Maybe RPGs aren't for you and you should stick to simple games with no avatar progression because apparently one of gaming's most basic and unique elements is a thing that you hate.

I don't know why you think I don't like progression. I just think some games do it better. FFT and FFX-2 come to mind, you get new abilities a lot faster and equipment makes a more noticeable impact, like Wring and Bloodlust in Chapter 2.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

1st AD posted:

The whole point is to master a job and then get all the passive abilities with a freelancer or mime, then give them whatever commands you want.

When the whole point doesn't become remotely feasible until you're at the final dungeon, or you've done hours of grinding, then you have a problem.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

FFX-2 did a better job with Kimahri's character than the original game.
...I repeat X-2 did a better job with Lulu than the original game did. FFX-2 is a really good game.

It's funny how true this is for most characters. I was surprised to find I actually liked Wakka in X-2. Even Tidus was bearable, probably because he was in the game for only a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I can't say I'm surprised that they don't let you skip cutscenes, given how they tried to punish you for using an included feature in X-2. "Fine, I'll let you skip the scene... but it doesn't count for completion percentage!" is so very very petty.

Why are you going for 100% story completion if you don't actually want to watch the story?