Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I played a lot of FFXIII and while I wouldn't say I hated it (I thought the paradigm system was really interesting and forced you to look at battles a different way), I hated pretty much the entire main cast except the Power Lesbians and thought all of their interactions were utterly unlike any way humans would interact. It was like Yoshiyuki Tomino wrote a Final Fantasy game. Of particular note was the scene earlyish on where Lightning flips a poo poo and shakes Hope by the shoulders screaming WE'RE JUST PETS HOPE

Also the fact that I did not give a single poo poo about Cocoon or Pulse because there were no named NPCs aside from highly evil people, Serah, Sazh's son, and Hope's parents. The villains kind of came out of nowhere, the whole overarching plot was a mess (and only got worse in XIII-2??)...FF is not known for amazing plots (X aside, maybe) but XIII's was really, remarkably weird and hard to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I really disliked Lightning in vanilla XIII because her characterization was all over the place, but I kind of came to love her come LR. She is just...so done with all of this bullshit. Every line of her voice acting just drips disdain for all of the poo poo she has to do. It's kind of amazing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

her battle lines are great

*while fighting a big dog* DO YOU THINK YOU CAN BE FORGIVEN????

yeah gently caress you dog you're gonna burn in hell
The battle costume lines are great, because you can tell half of them are there to make Toriyama furiously jack off ("seductive" lines) and yet the delivery is just scathing

"do you like my ears and tail :geno:"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

In a pinch, FF:Dimensions. But like, only if you've already exhausted the superior options.
FF Dimensions had some weirdly good music sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDutlw_r-CEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaW9wJwO1_0

Nothing else about that game was particularly good, don't play it

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

It makes sense that FFV and FFVI have comparatively bad scores on steam, the ports they brought there look ugly as poo poo.

Seriously, look at this:

They brought the mobile ports over for some reason, compared to the DS ports for 3 and 4. Bizarre choice.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I just started up FFXII after years and years not playing it (IZJS this time), and it's kind of interesting how much FFXIV took from it, stylistically. Everything from the movement/camera style to the targeting lines to the light blue dotted lines indicating area transitions.

Dear god, is it ever tough to go back to, though. You can tell the PS2 had huge issues rendering everything, because your choices are basically "zoomed the gently caress in facing forward" or "top down," camera-wise. It's so easy to get lost just because of that, and it makes it kind of frustrating to try again.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

I want a Saints Row-style sing-a-long of Titan's theme from FFXIV.
I'm an armadillo
I'm an armadillo
I'm an armadillo
Titan!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I would like nothing more than for FFXV to be FFX-2 with bro roadtrip Americana

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Distant Worlds last year here was also excellent :allears: It had both You're Not Alone and Roses of May, and the encore was a Sephiroth singalong.

bells frogs tonberries
in a bear, magic cheese
sephiroth

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

I keep hoping it's up through Junon, but watch it not even make it out of Midgar. I honestly wouldn't be surprised.
FFIV TAY was, what, three dungeons per episode or so? Four max? Midgar was a good chunk of disc 1...I could see it maybe ending with the events at the top of the Shinra building, with episode 2 starting with the descent and motorcycle chase?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You know, a Final Fantasy themed tower defense would be neat
Be careful what you wish for

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

So it's going to be dumb EU FF7 backported into actual FF7. :sigh:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I guess I just held a vain hope that they would return to the weird, offbeat tone of FF7 rather than the embarrassing poo poo from Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core. :smith:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I played through FF7 more than once and when I read Elentor's LP I was surprised by several parts I didn't remember at all. I suspect the same is true of most people who played it at age 13 or younger.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Oh wow, I completely forgot about the cellphone game where you play as Turks. I wonder if they'll try to work that in at all?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Augus posted:

The best-kept secret of Final Fantasy is that most of the main games are actually good and teenagers on YouTube are just whiny douchebags.

Except the remake of 3. Don't play the remake of 3.
2 is also bad. I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool SaGa lover: Final Fantasy 2 is not a good game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So as I prepare to replay FFVI in a little while and hopefully finish it this time, I gotta ask you guys something.
Now I made it to when Setzer joins the party, which felt like it took a decent while. I thought I understood the battle system. I thought it was a Class game, like IV or IX. Sabin is clearly a Monk, Cyan is a Samurai, etc.. Hell, we were just talking the other page about Strago being a Blue Mage.

But I guess I missed something or forgot something because I hear the game is like VII, or rather VII is a lot like VI, in that everyone can do anything. I don't remember this at all. Maybe this is why I actually had some trouble with the game even though I hear it's absurdly easy.

What was I missing?
Espers, my dude.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

fuckin scrubs don't know to use selene
Not an emptyquote

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Fam I ain't outta Hawaii quite yet so there's a really good chance you'll beat my 150KB/s :shepicide:
The one thing I miss the least about Hawaii. How is it that every option for internet there is such intense poo poo

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Just need to wait on mods for it, I guess :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

also the game is 2x as big as it needs to be because it has the entire game in a 32bit folder and a 64 bit folder
Oh, that's...that's not good.

So they upscaled important character models, didn't bother with unimportant ones, and slapped a filter over the environments?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I liked Tetra Master better. :shobon: It was sort of random, but I preferred it to Triple Triad, which is basically just Advanced Tic-Tac-Toe and gets incredibly boring after a couple games.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I like FFX-2's silly tone. It has some real, significant flaws (OH LULU YOU'RE SO PREGNANT when she has the exact same goddamn model was amazing) but I liked seeing Yuna get to have fun and not be on an extended march to her martyrdom. :shobon:

Also the massage scene cracks me up every loving time. They knew exactly what they were doing there.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Gologle, I'm not sure how to break this to you, but you wrote an over-4000-word book report-cum-summary of a GameInformer article on FFXV.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How can so cheery and bright a game have so much horrifying poo poo in it?
Bravely Default and Bravely Second are by nooooo means cheery or bright. They are dark as gently caress, they just aren't outwardly grimdark so they don't signal it as much.

Like...pretty much everything in the Florem arc of the first game was abjectly horrifying.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I think it's just a stylistic choice, because you get a lot of sunlight filtering through in the church and near Aeris's house.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Just as long they throw in Live A Live as well.
Why do you taunt me with things I will never have :negative:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

So how long is that GMG discount code valid?
I don't think I've ever seen GMG without a sitewide discount code available tbh

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

It's a really good, fun game if you don't try to 100% it. (Don't try to 100% it. (The true ending isn't even worth it and is, in fact, bad.))

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

i like the structure and the anime babe antics but the combat felt like a real step backwards from ffx
Seriously? I liked the combat best out of...possibly every mainline FF game. It was definitely proto-FFXIII but it's slow enough that you actually choose your commands, which removes my biggest complaint about XIII's combat. It feels like a modern version of the ATB system with added Sailor Moon.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

If you don't use the Japanese voice track for Bravely Second I don't know what to say

Oh, wait, I know

Good gravy!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cid nan Garlond is actually top tier for not only being a real force in the plot but also a hot dad :colbert:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Thats the Cid from FFXIV right? Did he continue to kick rear end in the expansion? I never got past the level 50 instance/raid grind to see the expansion stuff. :(
He did! He got a new outfit, made you a mini airship, and helped take down a giant flying whale.

:swoon:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah there have been modern or modern-ish FFs since VII, and VI was steampunk/magitechpunk which was definitely not traditional high fantasy. I personally really like the idea of a dumb road trip in an RPG, especially with the Americana feel they seem to be going for with the old-fashioned diners and gas stations and such.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

From what I remember of BBS, it was pretty solid gameplay-wise. I just didn't get far into it because the plot and writing made me feel like I was having a stroke.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

Does anyone have a link to a gameplay showcase that actually goes over gameplay for FFXIV? I was thinking about taking the plunge.
I'm sure someone in the FFXIV thread in the MMO HMO could find some for you. It's very similar to WoW in basic concept though, it's a tab targeting MMO with a heavy focus on boss gimmicks/mechanics and a slower pace than WoW in exchange for more stuff to do between global cooldowns.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

invalidated by Lancet
People actually use Kimahri without the expert grid? :psyduck:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Alexander O. Smith is hotly-debated (he was behind a lot of the Faux-Elizabethan Speeke in some newer Square titles) but I personally like his work a whole lot :shobon: FFTA2 and FFXII in particular really benefit from his exaggerated, theatrical style.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I also have a nice thing to say about Star Ocean 3: it wasn't Star Oceans 4 or 5 :v:

I have a weird nostalgic affection for SO2 but I'm also totally willing to say that no game in the series has ever really been good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

FFT can definitely be rough at times (the Riovanes Castle battles come to mind), but calling it a "poo poo heap" and "unfair and unfun" seems to be a little uncharitable, considering I somehow managed to beat it without terribly much difficulty when I was eight :raise:

e: Some game overs are to be expected, since it's by no means an easy game when you first play it, but if you can adapt your strategy to what's needed then just experimenting a little should get you into a strategy that works, not even touching the crazy overpowered poo poo like Calculator and Mime.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 11, 2016