Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I disagree in that, FF13's difficulty curve wasn't exactly that super-smooth. It had a overly long "tutorial" segment, where it was basically impossible for the player to fail, or for the player to deviate off track. This eventually led to the segments where you finally had access to all the Paradigm roles, but even then SAB/SYN/SEN roles were really never needed for any of the content/bosses until many hours later when you reach Gran Pulse. The critical story encounters for the game were really "under-tuned" compared to the abilities an average player had access to when he encounters them. Like ImpAtom says as well, once you reach the end-game, it simply becomes a grind fest for trophies, since the actual content had been easily beaten.

FF13-2 had a much more smooth difficulty curve in comparison, especially with the introduction of monster types containing paradigm roles you may have not unlocked yet on Noel and Serah. Not to mention the 6 paradigm roles were given to the player MUCH earlier as well. It was just a tighter paced, and IMHO, more enjoyable game play experience compared to FF13.
People ignoring Sab, Syn, and Sen roles in the duo parts of the game led to the ridiculous catch 22 that you can win the game by spamming X, yet it requires complaining about fights taking 20 minutes in the Sazh/Vanille sections and spending the same amount of time hoping to luck out in the Snow/Hope sections. The game is ridiculously tight about difficulty, and the post game content death spam was a shortcut bootstrap to get some experience and ultimate weapons made for people having trouble pulling off the elephants.

13-2 had a pretty similar tuning, except its incredibly likely that someone will either get lost or go chasing side content, overleveling and throwing it out the window. It really shows how hacky the balancing was in 13 since the only way it managed to keep each chapter a challenge is arbitrarily limiting your crystarium growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pablo Gigante posted:

You can play the PSX version as a PSOne Classic on PSP but it has pretty bad load times and a lovely translation. The GBA version is considered the best since it has updated graphics, a new translation and a post-game dungeon/jobs.
Maybe it makes me an unapologetic nerd but I can't hate the translation that spawned spoony bard.

Did they ever fix the PSX emulation resulting in scrambled menu screens when saving?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fungah! posted:

Spoony bard was in the SNES version of FFIV, dude. All FFV gave us was princess Salsa
Galuff calls Buttz a spoony bard when he is being a dick about going on a grand adventure.

Or is all my life a lie because a quick google gives the FF4.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah I don't get that either. I think the leads were the worst thing about FFX's party. Tidus in particular offends me because his role in the story is rather unnecessary.

These are pretty big spoilers here so if you have not played FFX, don't read them.

Tidus is supposed to represent an "outside view" to the native Spirans. It is his influence that helps Yuna gain the confidence to, in the end, reject Yevon and the Final Summoning.

...only this doesn't loving work. Even if you put aside the fact Auron could have told her at any time that the religion and Final Summoning were a sham, all he would have had to was tell Yuna to ask Yunalesca if this would work. As we saw in the game she was very upfront about there being absolutely no way to stop Sin permanently and that the Final Summoning was in fact the method by which Sin would perpetually return.

As such we see only contrived bullshit necessitates Tidus being there. This is really the single greatest flaw I see with the story in the game.
I don't know, Auron was just a tired old alcoholic living out his glory days by doing a repeat with his best bud's daughter. Every other summoner went into the final summoning knowing Sin is coming back, but it took the peppy outsider to come along and suggest that when a problem comes around, you must whip it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

Well it was supposed to be a gamble. Remember what Braska said to Auron?

I think Wakka's and Lulu's reactions to what Yunalesca said are evidence enough that the Pilgrimage is supposed to stop Sin eventually. They all had hope it would someday be over and that someday the Final Summoning would really work. Yet Yunalesca dashed their hopes by explaining the Final Summoning is exactly how Sin is reborn each time.

I think Yuna would have refused simply because of that knowledge. If Yuna accepted it would mean that she was personally responsible for Sin's return.
That doesn't really discount that they all knew going into it. Its perfectly natural wishful thinking to go to the final summoning, all of that in mind, and convince yourself "this time will be different, because this time it is my best friend who will be the aeon that fights off the essence of Sin." A direct assault on Sin would never even be on anyone's radar since the governing body leads purposeful suicide attacks once a generation to dissuade research into machina and keep the uppity depressed peasants in line.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Azure_Horizon posted:

This argument seems weird to me because this happens in FFXIII all the time.
FF13 was pretty tightly tuned with seemingly a lot of thought into what stats you were expected to have by the end of the chapter since there were the chapter boss hoops to jump through to advance the crystarium.

Where you could start turning 13 inside out is accessory crafting to start stacking extra stats early on with the crappy materials you find that are otherwise going to go unused anyway. Another way is if you had a deft enough hand to do manual input because a lot of the autoattack ai was inefficient, especially in regards to tricks around AOE and buffs/debuffs.

I ended up turned off from FF13-2 in spite of loving 13 for the combat because I felt either overleveled or underleveled at any given moment.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Winks posted:

I skipped tons of enemies as I ran endlessly through hallways and never felt like I faced a difficult fight until I reached Gran Pulse.
That isn't really enough info to judge tuning, because of the game breaking possible I mentioned above, the fact that you can generally max the crystarium with a fair amount of battles skipped, and feeling like facing a difficult fight is a subjective thing because every fight is going to feel easy if you just constantly run X/X/Med but it won't really be an acceptable strategy to anyone who values their time.

I had to reach a bit to consistently get 5 stars when I played through before knowing about the accessory crafting stuff but maybe I am just a Bad Gamer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

jivjov posted:

I see this as part of the problem. A game shouldn't take hours of playing to get good. This is the same thing that keeps dragging down FFXIII for me; if the game isn't good from sometime in the first hour or so (barring any necessary tutorial time) then its going to lose a huge segment of audience early in. I shouldn't have to hit level 30 before things start being good and interesting.
If it makes you feel better, 13 doesn't really change from the point you get paradigms so if you aren't feeling it after giving that a chance, most likely you just don't like the game period and can safely stop playing.

I'm not sure what weird compulsion about full parties and slightly wider paths leads to the hyperbole that Pulse is like a whole new better game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Once everyone gets their first couple roles you have everything you need to start enjoying the battles, if you are going to. Everything else is a lot of noise or situational stuff. I guess some people just like big lists of options?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not after 100+ cutscenes of:

"MY MOM IS DEAD :qq: I HATE YOU SNOW! I WANT TO KILL YOU BUT I DON'T!" :qq:
"I'm a Hero!" *fistpump* "I'm a Hero!" *fistpump* "I'm a Hero!" *fistpump*
"Croikey!" *anime gesture* "Putta shrimp onna barbie! Crocs!"
"I'm also Australian"
"...I loving hate you all." *punch*
"'M black, y'all. Ain't that right?" "Kweh!"

And that's just the playable characters.

I'm not so sure any of this is any worse than the rest of the games on a point by point basis but I think the sum of it ends up worse because there just isn't really a plot ever.

Also guy playing 13 please pay attention to the thread title when reading any comments in this thread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ragequit posted:

Breaking from the FFV Fiesta chat - there was an update in the whole http://www.finalfantastyviipc.com domain registered to Square Enix in the past day. This was caught briefly by several people (and Google cache) before the site locked down requiring login credentials:

I know its not ready for public release but I really got a kick out of Cid's bio. Job: Pilot. Weapon: Pilot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

Well I guess that's the thing: as much as I hate FF13, it's absolutely true that it has an easy appeal in the sense that a five-year-old can enjoy it the exact same as a fifty-year-old can enjoy it because it has these pretty visuals with way too much bloom. I swear, that poo poo is like the '10s version of the lens flare.

As a storytelling setting? Hahaha. Anything that requires you to read more than, say, five to ten NPC boxes of flavor to engage you or for you to sufficiently enjoy it or tell you everything meaningful you need to know about a place is an absolute failure. It's supposed to be a fusion of visual and descriptive elements, not LOOK AT MY LEVEL DESIGN and a college essay about what this place is supposed to be.

Midgar's a great example of it. Visually, you already know it's a shithole and how squalid the conditions its residents live in are. The attitude of the NPCs and the dialogue in the story bits just reinforces everything you already know.

Compare to FF13: "OH MY GOD GUYS PULSE IS A HELL ON EARTH"
*sweeping breathtaking this-it-totally-not-the-Calm-Lands, guys*
"HELL
ON
EARTH"
*fifty encyclopedia entries*
xXx~*~fabula nova crystallis~*~xXx
The entire point was a lifetime of propaganda influenced the Cocoon cast into thinking Pulse was a shitstorm. Manifesting in a variety of ways: Hope being incredibly naieve and believing every bit of it, Lightning and Snow gritting their teeth and preparing for the worst so that they may look as heroes when it comes down to the wire, Sazh being open minded after witnessing the inhumanity of Cocoon fal'cie claiming his son as a l'cie for no reason other than he was close, and Vanille and Fang being incredibly uncomfortable whenever anyone referenced Pulse as a shithole.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Raxivace posted:

"Abstraction" is a really good word to use. They got pretty creative with those PSX limitations...reminds me a lot of how silent films worked.

The quality of the remake really depends on how faithful of adaptation of FF7 Square will be going for. If they're just going for literally the same story told in a very similar way, I really doubt the remake will be worth more than a curiosity. But if they risk the ire of the fans and try something radical, then we could potentially get something unique and cool even if it ends up being totally different from the original game.
If its any less than a line by line recreation of the original scenario specs it will be a squandered opportunity. I want a blacksploitation transplant with a gun arm yelling at Cloud that the planet is dying. I want to have a squat off with a cross dressing gym trainer. I want Hojo having no idea what science actually entails and thinking "cat + girl = breeding program and you better bet I'm going to watch!" And then chilling on the beach with all the chicks. I want to go to a hippie cooperative why my cat buddy grew up where a weird grandpa on a flying orb invites me into his planetarium to lay down the science on how the planet is going to die. I want the cheesecake catfight between Tifa and that Shinra lady on a giant cannon.

If they haven't lost the original scenario specs, they are all pure gold and should be followed to the letter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Raxivace posted:

The presentation of those will be way different though because they aren't made with a 90's mentality on 90's hardware. Games and game-making are very different now.
If FF7 Remake doesn't subtly and indirectly get R Kelly or the Spice Girls or the Backstreet boys stuck in my head, it has failed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clarste posted:

The problem is less the memory-eating magic itself and more that they didn't really do anything interesting with it. "Hey, we all knew each other as kids, isn't that crazy?" It's not really part of a plot in a meaningful way, it's just a thing that happens. And the fact that everyone has the same backstory also ends up making them less unique.
Their camaraderie, fostered since childhood, is what allowed them to survive time compression. Their success overall is contrasted with all the missed connections or grander scheme meddling in personal lives like Laguna and Julia, Laguna and his bros, or Cid and Edea. Its not stunning writing but as a Final Fantasy it was never going to be.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schwartzcough posted:

That's... probably a mistake. For one, the stats of all the Aeons are tied directly to her stats, and Aeons are some of the most powerful tools you'll get until super post-game. Also, she makes a much better mage than Lulu, once you teach her some black magic.
Its probably inefficient for bootstrapping a real post-game attempt but its fairly easy to end up with a crazy Yuna monster double casting Ultima with only a little more engagement with the systems than you'd otherwise need to finish the game.

The first time I beat the game I got the easiest ultimate weapons but never really understood some of the low investment sphere tricks like black magic spheres and the various move to difference things spheres, and subsequently had a rough time with the final boss. I made it through the HD remaster recently and gave Yuna double cast Ultima and accidentally beat the final boss a couple turns in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sassassin posted:

If you consider your time valueless, it might just be worth $8.
Isn't that the foregone conclusion for all of us posting in the Final Fantasy thread?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

incredible bear posted:

I'm pretty sure this is such a universal opinion that it needn't be said. Right? If this isn't everyone's main concern about the remake, I'd be surprised. The trailer at least seems promising.
I'd be fairly confident except they turned the organ synths in the Seymour boss music into a beepier boopier synths in 10HD so I can only imagine the de-rockifying travesties that could be committed against the 70s prog rock album that is the FF7 sound track.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno I enjoyed Twilight Princess way more than Final Fantasy 13.

and I 100%ed Twilight Princess.

the only thing that annoyed me about Twilight Princess was that there wa sno way to keep track of what Poes you collected, the marble maze minigame, and that you couldn't speed up the day/night cycle.

Final Fantasy 13, my list of complaints is much longer.
Leveling up required too many points to max out
it really is just one big hallway
the trophies were all awful and required way too much grinding
the regular enemy fights felt like a slog towards the end of the game due to massive amounts of HP
poo poo don't make a lick a of sense towards the end and you wind up in a big magic space computer where you fight the Gangster Communist Computer God
There was really only one pathway for everything other than granpulse so you couldn't avoid poo poo that you didn't need to fight.
Your list is like 50/50 legitimate complaints and the reasons why FF13 is strangely one of my favorites.

Like the linearity is interesting in an honest sort of Call of Duty way when my game ADD subconsciously loathes anything that isn't a hallway. And the Baroque Space Pope becoming the main focus and villain and hiding in the computer plane is a special sort of Final Fantasy nonsense that I can dig. And in the critical path there isn't such a thing as an HP sponge unless the so called tutorials flew totally over your head, which is admittedly a problem with the game pacing since its a pretty common sentiment.

FF13 is beautiful garbage, like its forebear FF7 and FF7 remake better be beautiful garbage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'll give a mulligan for computer land fights going off the rails with weird difficulty requirements but I remember the city assault fights mostly being a final reminder that the correct response to stagger is at least 1 atb bar of 3x ravager paradigm before commando comes out. Its very possible I am lost in nostalgia because I haven't played the end game since it came out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

corn in the bible posted:

If you like FF then you're lost in nistalgia
FTFY

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In order, 10, 7, 13. Based on side content completed 13 should rank higher as the only one I've completed the optional bosses, but I get tired of having to explain its a badly designed game but a great Final Fantasy.

8 is an honorable mention because you can turn off random encounters and buff your stats by playing triple triad instead of leveling, and it has a very accurate depiction of why you don't put 17 year olds in charge of things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

Huh, this is like, the polar opposite reaction people usually have to XIII.
Its emotionally immature people tearing down the conspiracy to end the world by killing godlike figures, to a fantastic soundtrack.

Meanwhile the first 2/3 of the game are hand holding to teach you the battle system that apparently didn't actually work as tutorializing because there were an awful lot of people who seemed to be quiting in that final 1/3 because of boss difficulty. Like I love the battle system but it takes getting clued in to a few key concepts that the devs hoped you got from osmosis from the encounters and early bosses instead of it being explicit anywhere.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

Right, they used smart encounter design to teach you how to play, instead of endless text boxes and button prompts, like a good game.
It could have been as simple as Clippy the moogle popping up in the margins saying contextual things like "You haven't changed paradigms lately. Did you know you get free ATB charges sometimes when changing paradigms?" or "You don't have anyone seriously injured. Why do you have a medic out?" or "You haven't used a syn or a sab in a while. Did you know status effects are actually useful in this game?"

I'm all for a game teaching you by doing, but the encounter design is still such you can get away with some super dire strategies and learn nothing in the learning chapters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

I think the rating system does a good job of indicating "hey the strategy your using technically works, but if you mix things up a bit more often you could beat this encounter in about 1/4 the time"
Or does it indicate you don't understand how the weapon upgrade system works? In hindsight we know that paradigm switching execution will do everything to battle effectiveness compared to some incremental upgrades until you get to the final hunts but you don't really have any context for that in game.

For what its worth I personally loved the combat tuning, which should be apparent by finishing all the hunts, and I am in the final chapter in 13-2 and kind of sad the combat tuning felt kind of washed out through most of that game compared to 13.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Now that I called FF13-2 combat disappointingly easy earlier today, I am in Academia 500AF and getting my rear end kicked by every other encounter roll. Did I miss something fundamental between the 700AF stuff and here? Because even my grinding options are limited to destroying stuff absentmindedly in previous maps for slightly less experience and monster materials I don't seem to especially need, or hoping the encounter roll in Academia is not one of the ones that just destroys me in exchange for slightly better exp and up to date monster materials.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sassassin says everything in the most inflammatory way possible but is it really that controversial to call Dragon Quest frustratingly old fashioned? It was reverentially old school before reverentially old school even became an indie genre.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My gut instinct was Anachronox but then I remembered its neither japanese nor finished so the correct answer is

That loving Sned posted:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Perfectly reasonable being 'weaponised chunks of the literal lifeblood of the planet' which doesn't even work anyway.

Shinra's actions got them in that whole situation, it sure as hell wasn't going to get them out of it

Also AVALANCHE did nothing wrong
Those mako reactor workers had families!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even after Wutai fell in line they still need to subjugate the poors like Avalanche and Corel.

e. apparently they aren't for protecting headquarters because you will maybe get a random encounter for one if you're lucky since so few of the floors are actually patrolled by anyone?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's crossed wires because of dumb poo poo like FF12&T and Dissidia and Gilgamesh but I optimistically believe that FFX-2 interview was leaning hard into a dumb fan fiction joke like when Kojima was baiting nerds that MGS and Snatcher shared a timeline.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF13 was sufficient for what it was and I really want to know what the hell was wrong with the original script that it got rewritten into such a straight forward "this is the character growth part and now this is the part we make ham fisted points about destiny" structure.

Aurain posted:

My favourite thing about XIII's story is the end of the first Pulse part where Barthandelus (I think it's this dude) is all "hello CLAIRE farron" and everyone essentially no sells her real name being revealed and moves on.
I remember that being a big spoiler deal in the FF13 thread for some reason.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Minrad posted:

But then you're conceding that Gilgamesh dies alone and thinking of Bartz in The After Years
Dying alone and thinking of butz is a fate we can all relate to in the Final Fantasy Megathread.

Xavier434 posted:

I still really appreciate the CGI cut scenes in FF games, but if something expensive needs to be cut in order to refine the quality of other features or to simply ensure the survival of the main line series then I would be ok if those were on the chopping block.
It stopped being justifiable when the CGI in Chapters 1 and 12 of FF13 were non sequiturs because their production schedule required committing to a cutscene before the story was actually finalized.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've got a special nostalgia boner for PS1 RPGs that had the hybrid CGI and 3d interactive scenes where the 3d stuff went extra aliased and the background CGI was streamed at the quality of Real Player.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its been forever since I considered 12 in a serious way but I thought the min max approach to quickenings was you could get an mp recharge from the roullette on top of an actual quickening attack or ten.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

The first "ending" or the real ending?
How long until I can marry Lightning?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

I had forgotten what an amazing song Saber's Edge is. I just heard it for the Long Gui fight in XIII-2 and it really gets you pumped. Makes you feel all heroic and poo poo for slaughtering this poor animal who's never done anything to anyone.

I hear Long Gui's are harder in XIII but:
1. XIII had way more abusive stats from what I've seen, with ridiculously high HP/Strength/etc, especially compared to Noel's and Serah's base max.
2. XIII was not a game you played for fun. I guess some people were like "hooray, I'm free!" when they got to Pulse but I was just confused. After being conditioned for 30+ hours to just follow the hallway and the plot, being able to roam was not welcome. Combined with the ending of the game, I just had absolutely no desire whatsoever to do side stuff like fighting superbosses.
FF13 is the only game I've taken to the end of optional content and I can't explain why because everything in this post is extremely accurate.

As further proof of how they managed to wreck tutorializing and general feels, its best to look at Pulse as a hallway despite the open field. The tuning kind of assumes you follow the hunts to the next story beat. Of course the game's open and will let you just trudge on and get wrecked by a giant dragon snake.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In Training posted:

Congrats, you just described literally every single FF game.
The World of Ruin and Ultimecia's Castle both integrated a Megaman-like style of openness where you can choose to do anything you'd like first with some clear best orders discernible in hindsight but otherwise letting you explore the areas at your leisure.
:goonsay:

But to put it in other words my beef with Pulse is that a lot of people made a line for the story beat ignoring the hunts. Then they get blocked by the boss and are like what the hell am I supposed to do, grind in this tower for 3 hours? And he answer is no, you should go back and do the hunts but oh guess what you didn't do the hunts so the fast travel isn't working to let you go back and do the hunts so maybe yeah you should just grind in the tower for 3 hours.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Levantine posted:

I don't remember much about Ultimecia's castle except it seemed kind of short.
If you go at it with a guide and an abbreviated GF menu command shopping list you can be in and out in very short order. If you go about it au naturale it can take a while.

Golden Goat posted:

What was the issue with Ultimecia's castle?
Its probably the oldest school thing to show up in a 3d Final Fantasy, you will have a very bad time if you don't take notes or bring a guide. Also they take all your toys away which is maybe the worst thing you can do in a game ever.

Real answer: its full of combat and not triple triad.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

God - I mean, Lightning - help me but playing XIII-2 has rekindled a lot of my interest or love for XII.As such I'm curious about something I had long since forgotten about.

Is the party's Focus to destroy Cocoon, as Barthandelus says? When this had been brought up in the past, people have pointed out the Pulse fal'Cie are the ones who made the party l'Cie so Barthandelus should have no clue what their Focus is and he's just manipulating them. But if I'm recalling correctly, the party turns to crystal after killing Orphan. That means they destroyed Cocoon and crystalization means they fulfilled their Focus.
I don't think its a stretch to figure the fal'cie apocalypse plan is as old as the last Pulse-Cocoon war so it'd be only natural a Pulse fal'cie would be making l'cie to blow up Cocoon. And if they didn't that's what he wants you to think anyway, so covering all the bases.

More fantastically, maybe fal'cie all operate on some similar crystal wavelength and can read a l'cie's focus.

Either way yeah, their focus did end up being to kill Orphan. It all harps on some weird theme about how being a slave to destiny means you will eventually not be a slave to destiny because divine intervention?