Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Final Fantasy Tactics begins with a focus on the "Tactics" part of the title, but honestly your guys get so overpowered near the end of the game that if you're not actively trying to handicap yourself the game is really easy. I'm not sure how tactical Tactics Ogre is since I never beat that game, but I remember in FFT that you get so many good guest characters for no reason, they're not even hidden, that even if you're a complete newb at the FFT Job System the game is still a cakewalk, and even if you don't use them if you have a slight understanding about how the Job System works you can make such super powered dudes that are just warping all over the place stabbing guys twice in the back for mega-damage.

I still love FFT, all of it, even the stuff at the end I really liked, with the evil devils and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, I'd say that's pretty definitive, then. At least for the moment.

Do we have a release date/platform information? Hell, do we have anywhere to watch the trailer? I missed it and I've been really wanting to see some Versus for a while.

I don't know man, but holy poo poo it looked awesome. The frame-rate was sort of bad in spots, but that just tells me that it's all gameplay, and it might get ironed out before release. It's sort of dumb that the thing that got me most excited at E3 after all these years is Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Winks posted:

I think you're probably safe when it comes to FFXV being released over a year down the road, especially because XIII-3 comes out Q1 2014.

You're absurdly safe when it comes to KH3. It was an "Now in development" teaser.

Yeah. FFXV isn't coming out until fall of next year at the earliest, and that's absurdly optimistic, almost nonsense. But it does make me wonder, how far was Versus before it got canned for this next-gen version?

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
To be that honest, it didn't look TOO complicated. It looks like the main gameplay hook will be that Noctis can instantly warp to wherever his sword is, and he can throw his sword and stick it into surfaces. Aside from that there does indeed seem to be quite a number of set-piece moments in there a-la Uncharted.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

dude789 posted:

That giant Leviathan just going around the city wrecking poo poo looks really cool.

Hell's yeah. It's so cool that this is an action RPG, and there are all these Final Fantasy creatures. Like, Noctis was fighting an Iron Giant at one point. It's really cool to see these dudes in all their PS4 glory.

Eggie posted:

I'm just glad Toriyama's not directing this one. :allears:

Yes, oh god yes. Finally, a Final Fantasy without that dude's grubby paws all over it. Also, a Final Fantasy in god know's how long without any baggage from FF13. That's got me more excited than almost anything. We can finally, after the release of Lightning Returns, put 13 behind us once and for all. And mind you I'm not one of those people that really hated 13.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If it's been in development hell for seven years, there's a good chance it's accumulated a ton of half-baked ideas. On the other hand, maybe all the time was wasted on upgrading assets and they've polished the gameplay to a mirror sheen.

I can't tell what it actually plays like just from the trailer and that's a bit worrisome. But it's got old men saying ominous things about crystals, and that's enough to make it feel familiar.

Well, I was looking at the trailer...the most evident gameplay system is the one where you can warp to wherever your sword is. Which is what the top option on the "action bar" at the bottom is for, obviously. But it's not a KH style action bar, it doesn't look like, because it doesn't seem like any action is being selected there, it seems like it's a one button press thing. It's most obvious when he's warping.

Another thing, is that you seem to constantly have multiple swords active that can be switched between. One even seems to be a lance of some sort. Dunno what part this plays in the gameplay. I'm thinking of a situation where you can have multiple swords "active", or out in the battlefield, and you can warp between each of them. It's all speculation.

There's also a point in the trailer where Noctis uses a spell on a Bahamut, but it isn't like KH where attack and magic seem to be different selections on an action bar, but that you can change attack to magic, to use magic. I'm thinking that there are three selections on that bar at all times, Warp, which seems like a core part of the gameplay, the middle one which seems to be an attack of some sort, and whatever linkform is. The middle one, the attack, seems like it can be toggled between multiple things, such as magic, and I'm thinking may even be how you get access to items. I could see a situation where L1/R1 switch between attack/magic/item, each used by the same button.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Yeah, and also there's a part where Noctis is fighting a soldier near a car and bashes his head into the window.

Also I love that there are numbers coming off the guys when you hit them, it really makes it feel more like a Final Fantasy IMO.

Also the part where it's the same scene as in the trailer where Leviathan is attacking the city, but Noctis is in the water is really cool.

PTizzle posted:

I've missed it a bit too - I just hope it's less embarrassing than the story we got dished up in XIII/XIII-2. I don't mind silliness, just no saccharine pop songs over the top is all I ask.

Pop songs are just part of Final Fantasy now, it seems. Even FF12 had one. As far as saccharine goes, though, nothing about this game up to this point makes me think "saccharine" at all, although it may also be bad in...other ways. No way to tell just yet.

quote:

I didn't think the trailer looked incredible though. It looked solid - I'm still not sold on Square pulling off the gameplay to the extent it looks like they're going for. I was kinda ambivalent, but am going to try to be positive in terms of looking out for future media etc. It just felt more like a spin-off than a main series title, I guess? (Which makes sense considering it's basically Versus XIII).

I never saw versus as a spin-off. The way it seems like it worked back when the Fabula Nova Chrystalis project was first unveiled was that Tetsuya Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts team was basically just told "Make Final Fantasy 13 the way you would make Final Fantasy 13". Because of this, it really wasn't developed in the way a "spin off" would be, like FF13-2 or FF10-2, where tons of assets and stuff are re-used and the ambitions are quite smaller than they were previously. I think this is ultimately why they changed it to 15.

As far as the gameplay goes, I loved KH1 and KH2, and if this is the third game by those dudes I'm sure I'll like it. The stuff with Noctis warping everywhere and just going wild on dudes seems a lot like what they were going for in KH2, where Sora would sometimes just go loving crazy sometimes.

quote:

And I know I'll still buy it at some point, so I guess it's just whether it's at full price or bargain bin. If Square doesn't gently caress it up I'll love them.

Yes! This is pretty much Square-Enix in Japan's last chance to make something truly special before just about everyone writes them off. I mean, FF13-2 was good, I think, but it wasn't really that special.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 11, 2013

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Been playing Lightning Returns for a couple of hours now and I have to say that the battle system of this game is easily the best in the 13 series. Even some little baddies are difficult if you haven't figured out their weaknesses. The chocobo eater was tough for me because I couldn't figure out how to stagger him but I beat him anyway. Beat a guy that looked like a Behemoth but wasn't a Behemoth, and that was probably the best fight in the game so far to me.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Lightning Returns: Commit genocide for phat loot.

Everything I've heard about this game just makes it sound more and more utterly bonkers.

Yeah it's not really a Final Fantasy game or even a typical RPG. But I think that's why I'm liking it more than 13-2 so far. It definitely seems like a middle of the road game all things considered and if nonsense plot drives you crazy I'm not sure the gameplay holds up well enough to get you through it, but what makes this game probably the most interesting to me in the whole 13 series is that it seems like everything in the game is tailored in service of a few core gameplay concepts and not what people necessarily like or want from an RPG or a Final Fantasy game.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I'm at Day 2, past midnight. I'm trying to play the game without stressing about the clock. I couldn't find all the numbers for the code in Day 1, so I said screw it and went to the other town, Yusnaan.

Maybe not the best comparison, but I'm treating LR as if its a Fallout New Vegas. Basically, I just want to wing it and do whatever I want. I expect my first playthrough to be a failure, but I went into this game intending to take my time and play it multiple times.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I've never 100%-ed any FF before so I'm not gonna start now. I actually find the openness refreshing. They tell you almost nothing and don't really guide you at all after the first day aside from telling you that main quest lines exist and to do them.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God imagine if they when back to the 'cutesy' style they had in FF9 but with a modern engine. SE I know you've got it in you, come on!

Yes. I think that "realistic" FF should maybe be put on a shelf for at least one game after XV, literally "a fantasy based on reality", is released. I mean that's probably the most real aside from like fighting cactuars in New York City or something, right?

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

If The Third Birthday is any indication, I don't think a setting based on a real location is the core SE staff's forte.

The real world setting seems to be the least of Third Birthday's problems. Never played it myself though...but to be honest if I still had a PSP when it was released I probably would have.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Motomu Toriyama.

There's a reason he's so hated.

I suppose so. If the story in the 3rd birthday was actually good then it might've made up for the lackluster gameplay, so you could throw that at his feet. It's just strange when you consider that the game was direct by Hajime Tabata, who was previously responsible for what was probably the only good thing about the "compilation of FF7", Crisis Core and then after the 3rd birthday went on to direct Type-0 which was quite well received. Maybe it is just that Motomu Toriyama stink.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Excels posted:

So which Final Fantasy is your personal favorite, goons?

The early parts of XIII were very interesting and the world they were setting up had huge potential but they wasted it. If that hadn't happened it could've ended up being my favorite, but now it's probably somewhere in the middle.

My absolute favorites are 9, 5, and 10. I was just addicted to 5 for a while. I'm playing Bravely Default at the moment, but it dosen't have the nice simplicity that 5 had. 9's trio of Zidane/Vivi/Steiner is probably the best in FF, and it has my favorite aesthetic. Not necessarily character designs, I like Nomura's designs better to be honest, but the overall aesthetic is the best. Even simple things like the menus and sound effects are the best in the series. 10 has the best story in any FF game. It's very dedicated to telling a story and it does it very well, and it's also quite a unique story, at least as far as FF stories go.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Releasing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on the PSP was a pretty stupid idea considering how much of a success the series is internationally, when the only people who still used a PSP outside of Japan in 2010 had custom firmware, emulators, and pirated games.

The problem with Square Enix is that they make games exclusive for no reason, which leads to series like Kingdom Hearts being splintered across Sony and Nintendo systems. They could have released Type-0 on the 3DS and Vita, both of which could support online co-op and wouldn't have to split it across two discs.

I don't think that it's necessarily no reason. If you look at their games the ones that make sense as multiplatform usually are and the ones that aren't, aren't. Type-0 was made in the wake of the post-Monster Hunter PSP explosion in Japan where the DS had died down and the PSP was consistently the best selling console week after week. I imagine they started development on the PSP version that arose out of the ashes of the failed mobile Agito XIII before the PSP really started being abandoned in the west.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Nope. I never liked IX, either, and VIII is one of my favorites to this day. Then again, I also really, really dislike VI, so I'm apparently just weird when it comes to FF anyway.

I don't really "hate" any Final Fantasy. The one I like the least is probably XIII-2. VIII was weirdly enough my first FF game even though I was definitely old enough to have played the SNES ones I didn't really think I'd enjoy RPGs at that time. I think my first FF experience in general was probably the VIII demo and I liked it a lot so I rented VIII and kept on renting it 'till I beat it.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If FFXV is gonna resemble a Kingdom Hearts game, why not one of the five that have come out since KHII, most of which had far superior battle systems??

I am counting Re:Chain as a separate title, ok

Because it's not a KH title, it's an action RPG being directed by Tetsuya Nomura and has a lot of the original KH team involved so it's gonna be similar but I think they're gonna go for their own thing, especially now since KH3 is being developed for the same consoles.

FFXV is by far my most anticipated game. Out of all the big guns at S-E who seem to still be allowed to direct a game I probably trust Nomura more than anybody else. Especially since XV seems like his dream project. I think that we'll probably see more this E3 and I'm super excited.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Um, may I ask why you would hate XII more than XIII? The only area, the ONLY area, I would place XIII above XII is in the main party. XIIi treated its main cast better than XII's by and large. Everything else...I just can't see it.

XII feels about as much like a FF game as XIII does, which isn't much really, but XIII definitely feels more like an evolution of where the X/X-2 team left off than XII does and if you were patiently waiting after X for the "next big FF game" I could see how you would be more disappointed in XII than XIII.

I also like XIII's battle system more than XII's, and I felt like the story of XIII is more interesting in the beginning but then it really just shits the bed and not like XII where the story more or less just disappears for large stretches of the game but it just gets really bad.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Everything about that trailer was incredible, but most of all the music. I cannot believe how incredible the track in that trailer was. IMO it was even better than Somnus, which itself was pretty amazing. Wowzers. If that game even lives up to half of it's promise it's gonna be so good.

Also, Tetsuya Nomura is no longer directing the game, and Hajime Tabata took his place. In my opinion a move like that was a long time coming. The last game Nomura was involved in as heavily as FFXV that actually came out was like, what, KH2? And even that game took a long rear end time to come out.

I can't believe that a 2015 Japanese release for FFXV might actually happen...

Ometeotl posted:

The game won't look like that in the end. Square is as bad as Ubisoft when it comes to FF trailers.

It depends on how far off the game is. If we're getting a demo around march of next year, then what they're showing now can't be incredibly different from what we're gonna get in the final product. I mean, it's not like FFXIII's first trailer which was shown like years and years before anything even remotely playable. I could see, like, the character models being lower-poly and maybe even the lighting being a little less incredible. If I remember correctly S-E had some serious FFXIII bullshots that had these incredibly high-poly models in them that everyone was drooling over.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It seems Square's finally learned to give in to the silliness of its franchise and is giving us goofy road trip adventures for FF15. I'm all for it, though I wonder if it'll be more of a sandbox game or linear.

The last we've heard it was gonna be open like Xenoblade but that was years ago. However going by that trailer unless there's some serious invisible wall-age those are a few huge open areas.

But I mean it's definitely gonna be a linear story like past FF games though. I figure if it's open it'll be open more or less like FF games pre-X were, where you could only really advance the story at one place but you could wander around and do random poo poo if you wanted.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I love that they're literally just driving around in a car and not hoverbikes or a mechanical chocobo or something

Yeah, the whole concept of the game since the beginning has always been "Hey guys it's just like real life...but FINAL FANTASY".

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey, if Nomura leaving XV gets KH3 out faster (it won't), it's all good.

How fast KH3 comes out has almost nothing to do with Nomura, I don't think. The whole way they phrased it in that press release seems to me like they're just trying to be diplomatic about the whole thing. It's obvious that they removed him from the game because a guy who has been working on the same game for almost a decade ain't in no condition to see it to it's completion. They brought in Tabata to bring a fresh set of eyes to the director's seat and it seems like ever since he was brought aboard things have actually been getting done.

The only thing that'll determine how fast KH3 is released is how quick the guys who made Birth by Sleep can get used to making a cutting-edge game for curren-gen consoles.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I don't think any single man is going to be able to fight against the massive structural problems plaguing SE's development practices.

This is true, but I like to tell myself that the miracle that is FFXIV's resurrection was a portent that S-E had become more serious about getting good games out there in a timely fashion and it's internal development is becoming more streamlined and efficient.

Onmi posted:

I take Nomura's dropping to co-director as more "Focus on KH3 so we can actually get that game out." seeing as development for XV started in 2011 and 4 years isn't THAT long of a dev cycle for a game like this. Now that being said, I'm also a giant optimist so that's just me.

Nah. KH3 was gonna come out with or without this renewed focus or whatever on KH3 that Nomura is doing now. I mean since Nomura's been working on Versus/XV we've seen the release of two KH games for DS, one being a spin off and one being a remake, and two full-fledged KH games, one a prequel that's just as important as any other and one a straight up sequel to KH2. I actually trust whatever guys were making KH3 till now more than I trust Nomura, to be honest. Before Versus he was heavily involved in KH2 and that game was so long in development that they straight up had to cut features out of it to release it on time, and they didn't get added back in until the Final Mix version, which made the original KH2 release super bare-bones.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Sunning posted:

Naoki Yoshida was one of the few directors to steer around these problems by being very open about FFXIV's failings and actively working with players to make it right. FFXIV bombed spectacularly so he worked tirelessly to win back the trust of consumers rather than retreat into some ivory tower. He identified the failings of FFXIV 1.0, such as the focus on visuals and the lack of key role in development, and avoided the falling into the same trap his peers and predecessors have. With FFXV, we had the same evasiveness that defined the troubled development of FFXII and FFXIII.

We all know that the only reason they were so open and honest about FFXIV was because everybody saw how hosed up it was personally, so they had no plausible deniability. The only way they could've possibly got people to buy A Realm Reborn was to tell them that it was going to be a massive improvement from the clusterfuck that was vanilla XIV.

Nobody is going to tell us that Versus was going through development hell because they don't have a reason to. We all know the reason Nomura was shifted off of directing XV, but they aren't going to say so because they don't have to "win back" people's trust when it comes to XV. Sure, there are guys like us on message boards who have been eating up any scrap of news pertaining to this goddamn game but most people have probably sort of forgotten that Versus was even a thing a long time ago. Around 2012 they probably thought that by shaking up the development team, bringing Tabata on as director, and "re-branding" the game as Final Fantasy XV they can sort of get all of the benefits of an A Realm Reborn-style redo without the negative publicity.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Translated details from the video can be found in this article:

I'm not sure if I like this direction the combat's being taken in. There's no point complaining since I'll get a chance to try it for myself in a few months, and having auto-attack might not be any worse than constantly hammering the X button like in Kingdom Hearts. The timing of the block button was also incredibly generous, as long as you pressed it before the enemy hits you, instead of at the same time.

What I do like is the emphasis on your party members, especially if being near them grants you access to new moves, or protection if you're at critical health. The allies in the Kingdom Hearts series were so useless that you didn't even miss them in Birth by Sleep, so this looks like a step in the right direction.

The most recent footage is now running on the Luminous engine, and they plan to show more at the Jump Festa in December.

I personally think that all of the belly-aching over the newest news is a little premature. But I understand why it's happening. The people excited for the new Final Fantasy (mostly) came to terms with it being a fast-paced Kingdom Hearts style action game, but now that seems to have changed a bit.

I'm not too worried. It's definitely different than before, that's for sure, but frankly the promise of a deep, complicated Ninja Gaiden-esque battle system wasn't what got me excited for FFXV in the first place. The most important thing for me is that the fighting is smooth, enjoyable, and sufficiently varied. The last part seems a given, because it looks like you're able to do "team-up" moves with your buddies and that those moves vary wildly depending on the context i.e. Noctis' proximity to the enemies, his proximity to his buddy, what type of enemy it is, what the enemy is doing, even how much health Noctis has remaining as shown in the new trailer where he does a "team-up" move with two of his buddies when one of the huge enemies is about to deal what I assume would've been the killing blow.

If anything this makes me more excited because it finally seems like they know exactly what they want the game to be and play like and they can finally loving talk about it instead of being all like "well yeah I know you saw some poo poo in that trailer but we can't tell you exactly what's happening because poo poo can change." Now they're more like "Well this is how it's gonna be because we got a goddamn demo coming out in like half a year."

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_C_8F1usDo

This music in the trailer was soooooo good. The soundtrack for XV definitely has to use live instrumentation, right? As in, here's an orchestra playing the music? I forget, did XIII actually do that or not? I know for a fact that most of the music in it's sequels wasn't because most of the music in those games was too weird but Shimomura definitely has a more classical sound.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

I'm curious if the automation is optional.

It probably isn't going to be, at least I don't think so. I think that people forget that that although the earlier version of XV's battle system was a lot closer to KH in that it had a command menu with different selections for attack, magic, etc. the fights were still awfully "cinematic", for a lack of a better term. You still did team up attacks with your buddies, and how the "attack" command reacted still depended heavily on the context. The whole "sword warp" system is also exactly the same and looks to be as crazy as it ever was.

I personally think that the biggest change is the removal of a KH style command menu. Instead, stuff like attack and magic are mapped to individual buttons it seems. Besides that the combat doesn't look completely changed. Sure in the E3 footage it had Noctis warping around and being loving crazy anime dude but it could be the case that he still will become crazy anime dude that warps around and combos a guy in the air but not until later in the game. It looks like the combat toolset they were using in the presentation was similar to what they were using in the new trailer, which seems to take place in the area that will be available in the demo and the demo is said to take place near the beginning of the game.

Also Nomura's vision for the game isn't completely changed at all by Tabata's coming on as director. The whole "a bunch of bros go on a road trip" style of the story seems to be almost unchanged from all those years ago when Nomura talked about driving a car in an interview and everyone was all like "wtf?"

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

Good points. BTW, the attacks with party members are still very much an KH-ism.

Yeah, they remind me of the limit attacks from KH2 except instead of being more "game-ey" and based on a meter that fills they just happen as naturally as they would if two guys were actually fighting together.

I could be completely wrong though, and Tabata could've turned the smooth KH2-like combat of Versus into a stiff feeling Crisis Core-alike and ruined everything but I'm trying to be positive! Good thing people will be able to make up their own minds next year.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I'm more intrigued by what the RPG systems of the game are going to be like. A crystarium/sphere grid type system? Will we be buying and equipping gear bought from shops? How do we determine who learns what magic?

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Raruna posted:

After having watched the gameplay demo, I really hope they'll only have the "hold dodge to dodge forever" poo poo be an easy mode feature or something.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Why would they feature an "easy mode" option so front and center?

It seems, though, from what people have gathered from the presentation, that there were points where the other characters in the party were "dodging" but still getting hurt. And I really, really doubt that they would make the dodge button make you invincible. If that was the case how could you ever get injured in the game?

I also wouldn't get my hopes up when it comes to seeing the HUD from two E3's ago. I think that HUD is long gone. There might be more HUD that they aren't showing us right now, but with attack/magic/dodge being on face buttons there isn't a need for a KH-style command menu anymore.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

The main problem I'm finding right now is the lack of mp number counter. If they're willing to take away the KH command menu, I'm sure they're willing to get rid of mp in order to streamline the product.

The thing is that taking away the command menu is a different type of streamlining than taking away MP is. Taking away the command menu is more of an ease of play concession, while taking away MP is nothing of the sort. It stands to reason though that there is indeed a way to know what type of magic you're going to cast and changing your magic, so there has to be some level of HUD that they aren't showcasing at this moment.

Himuro posted:

I never found KH's story to be terribly awful until KHII. Am I alone in that? I found KH1 to be a cute, charming story. I have insane nostalgia for that game. Does BBS expound upon the level design in Kh1? I found it disappointing how in II the worlds were now just linear slash em ups. I enjoyed the treasure chest and ability teasing that made up 1, even if the platforming wasn't ideal. An improvement on that would be my ideal KH game.

I think that KH compares pretty well to Metal Gear Solid, in that the first game in the series has a simple yet effective story, the second game in the series has a story that goes completely batshit and then the third game in the series is a prequel that doesn't have the baggage of the second game, so the story is a lot more simple and easy to follow.

I think that BbS has more platforming than KH2, but the levels themselves are smaller. To be frank I still find KH2 to be the best KH game, but BbS is still really good.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because it's a Final Fantasy game? What non-MMO Final Fantasy has every pretended to be challenging in any way? FF2 and FF3's challenges largely came from them being designed and programmed like poo poo, but at least FF2 you could abuse more easily to your advantage with spells like :frog:

That's not what I mean. What I mean is, if auto-dodge was an optional thing that was a sort of "easy mode", they wouldn't show it on a stream like this, they would show whatever the normal was. I wasn't making a judgement about how hard the game is going to be, I honestly doubt it's going to be very hard at all if past FF games are anything to go by. Even the hardest ones eventually end up with ways to make your guys super-gods.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

To be fair, the only actually bad KH game is 358/2 Days. Even Re:coded is fun as hell to play

It's a shame that Days plays so badly because I actually really like the story in it, strange as that sounds. It's really the only KH game that's character focused instead of plot focused.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Xion is the only one straight up wiped from the story.

Well not really. They just had to have everyone forget her because if not then how would they explain nobody in KH2 giving two shits about her? Which is...problematic too, in it's own special way.

Gologle posted:

You see, ice cream is symbolism, ya know? Got it memorized, hyuk?

I don't think it was actually symbolism as much as Roxas basically doing nothing else with his friends except work and eat ice cream. I mean think about it.

Anyways this isn't the Kingdom Hearts topic so I'm going to shut up about it now.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

g0lbez posted:

Curtain Call is the only good Final Fantasy game released in the last eight years

I actually liked 13 and Lightning Returns somehow hit the exact right sweet spot for me so that I forgave all of the terrible stuff in it and was thoroughly absorbed.

Funny enough, I didn't like 13-2 nearly as much even though a lot of people point it out as a high point of the 13 trilogy.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Sunning posted:

[It sounds like Tabata is the Naoki Yoshida of this game. It's not so much the idea of a savior (he'll have to deliver a quality game first) but the scenario of a relative rookie coming in to to take charge of a troubled project formerly headed by a veteran. That doesn't sound too good for Nomura considering he's the Tanaka in this scenario. Nevertheless, it's good that young blood is moving up in the company and in a big way.

Yeah, that's what I've thought all along. The whole bullshit about Nomura being put on projects that "only he can do" was all just PR speak but it's weird to hear that just a couple of days ago and then read this where Tabata is remarkably more candid than S-E usually is. It was obvious that after working on the game for over half a decade whatever vision Tetsuya Nomura had for the game that was Final Fantasy Versus XIII was either unworkable, or, because of mismanagement, unachievable. It's starting to sound more like Tabata came in, took a couple of broad ideas that Nomura had in mind when making his game (the road-trip feel, the wide open areas, the broad storyline) and it was basically decided that instead of making Versus, a FF spin-off action RPG, he would make the next big Final Fantasy in the main numbered series. It definitely seems like the game is a lot more RPG than it is action now, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.

There are other interviews that Tabata has done with some Japanese outlets and more stuff is revealed there, such as

- Your party members can get tired from fighting so you have to "set up camp" to rest up and if you don't they won't be as good in battle.

- One in-game day is about 30 minutes long, and monsters that like the dark and hide in caves/dungeons will come out at night time but if you set up camp they won't attack you.

The biggest stuff though is about the combat. The combat seems to be a lot less action-focused now. You cannot manually control any other characters except Noctis, and the combat focuses on two major buttons, one for offense and one for defense. The way it sounds is, that there is a system much like the Gambit system in FF12 where you can set up what your buddies will do in battle. You can also open up a menu to change your battle strategies in the middle of battle. It all seems to me like it's starting to more and more resemble a traditional role-playing game.

Also, Tabata says the game is around 60% complete and I'll take him at his word for it. He says that the beginning parts are a lot farther along so I wouldn't be surprised if the beginning of the game is just about complete now, which is why the Demo (which is basically the beginning of the game) is coming so soon. But I still wouldn't say that a late '15 early '16 Japanese release is out of the cards, since a huge chunk of those 2 years that Tabata had to get to 60% was basically him trying to put out the fire of the smoldering wreck that was Versus.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I think that people are getting upset over this info because they really liked the idea of an action-focused Final Fantasy game, but it all sounds fine to me. Another aspect that a lot of people are getting upset about but that I don't seem to see the huge problem with is how Noctis's weapon switching works now. In lieu of the game becoming a lot more RPG and less action the different weapons you equip on Noctis are all better at certain things than others, and Noctis will use certain weapons in certain situations. Tabata said to think of it like a "deck" of weapons where the most appropriate one is drawn depending on the situation.

Well folks, I guess the Versus dream is all but dead now unless you're like me and was actually interested in Versus for something other than the gameplay. This doesn't seem like Versus anymore, it seems like Final Fantasy. This new combat system seems like a more dynamic, action packed version of 12's than a KH game.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Krad posted:

I find it extremely hard to believe that they literally scrapped everything they had for Versus, supposing they actually did some work at all. One way or another, it'll be at least two more years until XV comes out... at best.

Why do you say this, though? Do you have even the faintest clue how far along they were with Versus in 2008? 2010? 2012? I'm pretty sure that you don't go on what is now 8 years of game development and not release a game unless you literally scrap almost everything you've done multiple times. And what do you think they could've retained from Versus? The battle system is different, the graphics are completely different and miles ahead of anything the PS3 could've done. I'm having a hard time wondering what they could've possibly kept. They probably even had to throw out loads of CG cutscenes because the characters look so different now. The only thing I could see them keeping is whatever music they had done. That's it. This is a new game called Final Fantasy XV.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Square keeps wanting to make a game that looks and plays like DMC or some similar over-the-top action game, but don't know how. so they instead make a simulation of an action game. how wonderfully pointless.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. Are you talking about the new FFXV battle system? From what's seen in the newer trailers it doesn't look anything like DMC. The fighting looks closer to something like FFXII in scope, with guys just fighting with swords and sometimes magic. And KH2's battle system for what it's worth was basically that of a character action game a la DMC, you could do poo poo in KH2 that was probably crazier looking than what you could do in DMC.

That loving Sned posted:

Resident Evil has also had women equal or outnumber male characters in all but one of the main entries, Resident Evil 4. Even then they had bonus content where you played as Ada.

I still wouldn't rule out playable women in FFXV, since it's not like anyone knew there was a fifth playable character in FFV before it came out. They might have the open world exploration only be accessible with the four main characters since they could script dialogue more easily that way, while having more characters available during important plot segments. Cor is supposed to be a sort of guardian for Noctis, and Stella is the kind of mage that's missing from the party, not to mention the other woman we know nothing about yet.

It's true but I honestly think that the guys we see here are going to be THE guys. It's the first Final Fantasy I can remember where all your party members are basically your best friends. They're obviously trying to do something different with this one. I think that if another guy does join your party it won't be for a while.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your point is well meant but it still ignores how development works. DNF might not have used decade-old assets but that doesn't make the time and money spent on the numerous discarded assets any less real and the idea of "well the clock resets to the version that came out" is willfully ignorance of the development process that lead to said version eventually making it out. Sure, Tabata can say the current FF15 'started' 2 years ago but it's just a thin attempt at trying to brush an entire console generation's lifespan of development time and failure under the rug or magically make those years of failure not disappoint fans as much as it did.

So yes, if you buy FF15 you are buying a game that has been in development since 2006 and part of that development process included replacing high-ranking staff and scrapping a lot of work. You've bought other games that have scrapped code and assets you just don't realize it because it didn't take a decade (or more) to get the game out.

Are you disappointed that the game is taking so long to make?

If so, then that's fine. You can absolutely use these 8 long years to say "The game is taking forever to come out and I'm mad about that", but you cannot say "Well the game's been in development for 8 years, so it should be out like, next month". You absolutely cannot use the 6 years prior to Tabata coming on as director to judge the length of this game, Final Fantasy XV's, development. Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been for all intents and purposes cancelled, and out of it's ashes rose Final Fantasy XV, a game that is similar but at the same time very different.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mega64 posted:

A similar thing happened with Duke Nukem Forever, didn't it? Remained in development limbo for years until another studio picked up and released it to a hugely negative response.

That's partly why I'm still not optimistic about FF15 being good.

A long, troubled development is no guarantee that a game will be good or that a game will be bad. Game design is about making choices and then implementing those choices. So far, I've liked everything I've heard about the game, although certain things like returning to a slower paced, less action-focused style is a little bit disappointing it's nothing major. The only question for me is how they go about implementing those choices, which will be answered in time when the demo becomes available.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, it doesn't really sound like it will literally play with one button, but that attacks will string together by holding a button. I'm guessing it will have at least a physical attack button, a "special" attack button, the teleporty button, and a dodge button. In Lightning Returns you could hold an attack button down and it would automatically string the hits together, or you could manually press the button for each hit and get timing bonuses. I wouldn't be shocked to see something similar.

Now granted, I was pretty psyched about being able to scroll through weapons on the fly and stuff, but guess we'll just have to wait and see.

What it seems like to me, is that there will be a button for attacking that you will hold down to attack, but Noctis just does whatever looks cool or is best as an attack. For instance, if you were to hold down the attack button and an enemy was relatively far away from you, you couldn't make Noctis pull out a short sword to attack with, he would just automatically do a lunging attack with a long spear or whatever. This also makes it so that the combination attacks are very varied and happen smoothly. The difficulty in the fights won't be from twitch gameplay like a Kingdom Hearts game, but instead using your head and preparing your team beforehand, a lot like FF12 was. Tabata said in an interview where he said that he was trying to make the game more realistic (the game is "a fantasy based on reality" after all) so you'd have to use tactics that would make sense in the real world. The example he gave was fighting a Behemoth, where just fighting it head on would be useless because it's a goddamn Behemoth so you'd have to bait it into a lunging attack and then get it off balance and hit it from the side.

I went back and watched the trailer from 2011 for Versus and while it does look pretty good this new system they have in place is a lot different then just about anything I can think of in a game. It can either work really well and be awesome or just fall flat on it's face and be the most boring mundane poo poo. They're really taking a risk here I think. Most people are talking about this like they were afraid to put action combat into the game so they fell back into this retreat with the combat they have now but for me it's the opposite really. It's a big gamble. I just hope it doesn't end up being a bad one.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

I don't understand how this is possible because I'm loving terrible at JRPGs and not only did I beat 13 but I loving steamrolled the final boss.

FFXIII is easy once you get the hang of it but I can understand a lot of people just not getting the hang of it. It's a really unique battle system and also you have to have weirdly good reflexes for what is essentially still a turn based JRPG. It's basically ATB on steroids, it's so fast compared to past FF games. I had a lot more trouble with FFXIII then I did with basically any traditional ATB style FF game.

edit: FFXII has awesome music guys what are you saying? How is this not awesome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7J_8IB5i6k

Maybe it was because I loved Tactics so much and I was hungering for more soundtracks like that game's.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 23, 2014