Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

nilumtil posted:

I'm trying to run FF13+GeDoSaTo. It's crashing to desktop every 15-20 minutes, causing me to have to replay a lot of segments. Especially considering the length of cinematics.

None of my googling has returned much on this. The github has some *vaguely* similar problems reported, but I was more hoping for an actual solution.

Anyone have a fix, or is it "wait for gedosato to update or play what looks like a late PS2 game" as I am fearing? drat you Durante, after I saw the difference I can't go back to aliased 720p and weak shadows.

Doing some thread catch-up..

If ya haven't figured this out yet, one thing causing me crashes on an AMD card was using both GeDoSaTo for shinies and Rivatuner to limit fps to 30. Leaving framerate alone and not running Rivatuner cleared things up. Setting the rendering res in GeDoSaTo too high caused some crashes too; I settled on 1400p.

'Course now I have crashes in 13-2 without running anything extra and light googling not mentioning anything helpful, booo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
How's the Android port of FF6? Worth it over doing the SNES version and being able to save anytime? I made it to the end a couple of times but for some reason never got around to actually beating the game. Sitting around the in-laws' is giving me the hankering and I might finish it this time if it's in my pocket.

Anyone running into crashes in 13-2 on PC? No external tools running and I'm having to constantly make paranoia saves. Bumming me out cause on top of that, I'm THAT guy that just started it and is already having a harder time playing it cause I wish it was like 13 and would just shove me down a hallway with flashy graphics and set battles. Ugh, makes me realize I officially hit my "old gamer" stage of saying to myself I ain't got time for all that explorin' and sidequests!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Agreed posted:

Yeah, I do wish these were better optimized. It's not just the occasional sub-30fps that bothers me, it's that I can look and see that it isn't using my processor's cores efficiently at all, and my GPU is still at like 640MHz or 800MHz (second or third lowest power state) and hanging out at like 38ºC. Seems like it's an engine-level optimization problem, since it would obviously run much better if it actually used ANY of your system's hardware efficiently. But it doesn't :mad:

Yo, best I've found for 13 is to use GeDoSaTo to crank the internal res enough to stress the card enough to hang out between 30-60 so vsync keeps it at a consistent 30 (and look a whole lot better from downsampling). There really is no way to get a consistent 60fps; guy who makes that tool thinks there's some frame pacing in the game that causes it. If you're Nvidia, tools to cap the framerate should work; I'm AMD and got crashes when trying to framelimit.

I got nada for 13-2. I get some crashes without GeDoSaTo so not even gonna try any external stuff.

The 13 environments look amazing at high res!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sunning posted:

Here's a complete guide to getting Wakka's overdrives and powering up his celestial weapon, including a method for people who don't like Blitzball: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoX5ki0iViE (Starts at 7:28)

Not by Ulillillia, guide not complete did not watch.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Varance posted:

Alright, I went full 'sperg on this one. FF games are best categorized into four buckets:

--------------------------------------

Prime: These are your numbered games, which have their own story and characters but rarely involve the events and characters from other FF games. Some games may be sequels/prequels or rely on the mythos of another (Ivalice Alliance/Nova Crystallis games), but can be played standalone within their title range without outside knowledge. You'll need to play these games to fully understand universe games, which reference prime games on a regular basis. Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV are generally downplayed in the extended universe because of the whole online thing, so those are safe to skip in terms of understanding the universe (though most will argue you're doing yourself a disservice to skip Final Fantasy XIV... at least play the free trial to get a sense of characters and plot). If you hate MMORPGs, reading a wiki article on Shantotto and Y'shtola is good enough for those two.

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy IV: Interlude, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
Final Fantasy V (plus Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals)
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII, Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, Last Order: Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VII REMAKE (plus Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children)
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2+Last Mission
Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XI: Rise of The Zilart, Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia, Final Fantasy XI:Treasures of Aht Urgan, Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess, Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin, Final Fantasy Grandmasters (plus all the episodes)
Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Ivalice Alliance)
Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Nova Crystallis)
Final Fantasy XIV, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (Ivalice Alliance)
Final Fantasy XV, A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire (plus the episodes, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV and Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV)
Final Fantasy Tactics (Ivalice Alliance)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Ivalice Alliance)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (Ivalice Alliance)
Final Fantasy Type-0, Agito Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy Type-0 Online/Awakening, Final Fantasy Type-Next (Nova Crystallis)

Universe: These have their own story and characters, but rely heavily on characters and plotlines from other FF games for their gameplay content. Kingdom Hearts games would fit into this area, though they tend to be heavier on the Disney mythos.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy, Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT, Dissidia: Final Fantasy Opera Omnia
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Mobius Final Fantasy
World of Final Fantasy

Thematic: These games are Final Fantasy in spirit, often focusing on minor characters or series icons... but are generally ignored by both prime and universe games. Many have their own running mythos, or will re-use the mythos from one of the prime games (Ivalice in particular). Newer games have started referencing the thematic games to add more nostalgia/variety, so the line between prime, universe and thematic is becoming blurred over time. For example, FF14 references Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, Mobius Final Fantasy (very loosely) references Bahamut Lagoon and World of Final Fantasy references Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time.

Bahamut Lagoon
Blood of Bahamut
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, Bravely Second: End Layer, Bravely Archive: D's Report, Bravely Default: Faerie's Effect
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, Chocobo's Dungeon II, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon: the Labyrinth of Forgotten Time/Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, Chocobo and the Magical Picture Book/Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Crystal Defenders, Crystal Defenders: Vanguard Storm (Ivalice Alliance)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Final Fantasy Explorers, Final Fantasy Explorers-Force
Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy Legends/Dimensions, Final Fantasy Legends/Dimensions II (called Dimensions in NA to avoid confusion with the SaGa games released under the Final Fantasy Legend branding)
Final Fantasy USA/Mystic Quest
Vagrant Story (Ivalice Alliance)

Branded: These games are either games from other series given the Final Fantasy name/branding to sell better, unrelated games that have some kind of time-in with a prime game to help them sell better, or minigames from prime and universe titles split off as independent games. They usually deviate far from typical series gameplay. Quality on these titles is all over the board, though some are worth playing if you just have to play them all.

Final Fantasy Adventure (renamed Seiken Densetsu, remade as Sword of Mana and again as Adventures of Mana)
Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Legend II, Final Fantasy Legend III (the first three SaGa series games)

Chocobo Land: A Game of Dice
Chocobo Racing
Ehrgeiz
Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade
Final Fantasy: All the Bravest
Final Fantasy VII: G-Bike
Final Fantasy VII: Snowboarding
Final Fantasy Tactics S (Ivalice Alliance)
Justice Monsters Five
King's Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon
Pictlogica Final Fantasy
Theatrythm: Final Fantasy, Theatrythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call, Theatrythm: Final Fantasy All-Star Carnival
World of Final Fantasy: Meli-Melo

FF14 is borderline prime and universe, since it DOES rely heavily on content from other games, but ultimately belongs in prime. Each piece of another FF is thematically modified to fit into the world of Hydaelyn. You don't actually need to have played any of the prime games to understand what's going on in 14, but you'll appreciate the references a lot more once you've gone through the other prime games.

And yes, Final Fantasy Type-Next is actually a thing in development, and has a lot to do with why Record Keeper and Brave Exvius keep getting regular Type-0 crossovers. That, and Final Fantasy Awakening (Type-0 Online), which is apparently big in China.

Let the arguments begin.

Hey nerd, this is real groovy and now I got a buncha stuff I have to at least see what it is on youtube.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh wait, do cross strikes only initiate when the strategy prompt is active? That's kinda disappointing, I figured it was a limit break-y part of my normal repertoire that I just wasn't bothering to try and trigger during normal fights.

Don't know for sure but seems it's triggered by a baddie being knocked over in a 'Vulnerable' state, causing breaks may help set it up.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Alxprit posted:

It's A Final Fantasy For Fans And First-Timers, you do the math.

:five:

It's a good one to jump in on especially on PC, heads up may still be +20% off at greenmangaming. Watch the first 15 minutes of Kingsglaive on youtube or rent and watch the whole thing if you really wanna be caught up on what's happening, they kind of left the opening act of the game in that movie and didn't cover it alll that great. You can totes skip it though too and be fine.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Hell yeah. Legend of Mana is my favorite game and it's complete poo poo gameplay-wise.

Also I started playing this FF15 game finally and it might be the rare good Final Fantasy...!?

(jk they're all good except for the ones I don't like)

A good Final Fantasy lol, always gettin my :10bux: worth on comedy forum SA.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeh summons are a little horked, after they're over save, quit to title, and reload soon as ya can. :/

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm using the offense and time accessories because (at least early on) it's been really easy to get A+ on those like every time. And I grabbed Regroup ASAP on this group's recommendation and it is very cool and good.

I have the skill that gives me AP for long car rides, but not the second level of it yet. I also grabbed the camping one but I'm less certain that one's going to end up really paying off. I'll grab the chocobo one as soon as I'm actually able to ride chocobos. I also beelined for second accessory slots since the PC version started me with so many nice ones, and I'm working towards unlocking the ability to switch to the bros.

Yah you're doing awesome then on everything. The first AP for Choco rides and car rides are great to get ASAP, the rest of the exploration tree is pretty ignore-able though imo. Going to stress it again to kind of make a call of either doing sidequests or just focusing on the story and saving sidequests as post-game - there's not a "right" answer but levels matter a lot and sidequesting will quickly boost you past the curve and make the story quests really easy. Doing a few hunts is great to have spending cash, though.

Patch is out on Steam to fix the post-summon framerate drop, woo.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

:getin:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Megaphone on Gladio and a choker on Noct pretty much negates the HP drain on royal arms, and Swords of the Wanderer is supposed to be a lot better than it's attack rating suggests.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
lol a good read http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/worlds-biggest-final-fantasy-fan-almost-completed-some-of-the-games/

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tae posted:

That's not remotely true at all, where are you quoting this from

Yeah I think you meant to say Playstation game not just PS4.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Coming off a XV bender I installed XIII-2 which I gave up on some years ago I think from the framerate problems and crashing on PC, but I'm back to give it another shot. Um, I have no idea what is going on or what I'm supposed to be doing. My cloud save loaded up at 9 hours or something in and I have nooo clue where I'm supposed to go or what my goal is. Help? Purty please?

This is what my screen looks like:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

If you can't beat the giant flan in Sunleth, go to Archylte and beat the boss there. Also visit the Coliseum - if you don't get a cutscene when you first arrive, it means you've already been there and gotten what you need.

No cutscene at the Coliseum, I think I beat the giant flan already? I remember fighting one, and here's what my map looks like at Sunleth:

When I loaded in it popped me out of the gate with the !, and I think the flan was in the big open area I'm looking at that's empty. Off to check Archylte. Thanks! e: Oh I already wandered around Achylte a bit and I found a giant cactuar that totally effs me up (dunno if underleveled for it or I just be terrible at combat while I shake the rust) and a gate that doesn't unlock until I figure out something to do. Huh.

ee: OK I'm gamefaqs-ing it based on what ya said and I think I have to gently caress around with a weather machine and stuff and my save is somewhere in the middle of this quest. Groovy. I'm still re-figuring out how the hell to read the crux menu and stuff to see what to do but have a jump off point at least. 'Preciate it!

eee: ohhh I just had to walk up to that gate with the ! and press it to use the item I already had. Well there's an exciting like near hour start to trying XIII-2 out again before hitting the bed lol.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 9, 2018

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For master summon you can just beat the Diamond Weapon and the dude in Kalm will give you 3 master materia, including summon, screw grinding it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

How tough are the weapons/how leveled should I be to take them on? Seems like something I should do after grinding out the final limits anyway.

Swatting my brain cobwebs, what I remember from playing it like 40 years ago is Diamond isn't bad - tough but do-able or at least worth giving it a shot whenever and see how it goes, grind up the final limits and getting a black chocobo and all first since you're doing that anyway. Wanna say I remember KotR + whatever materia lets you double cast it + mimic on someone else for quad casting it being able to dunk on Diamond pretty hard, maybe with the cast-Phoenix-on-death setup for his big attack. Mighty Guard takes a lot of his damage out, too. (Fakeedit wait I think it's Emerald not Diamond weapon I mean.)

Never did beat Ruby, no idea what's needed there besides the usual strat is to go in with only Cloud alive in the party.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Another hour or so wandering around in XIII-2 poking at different places, doing a couple sidequests, and after maybe having done some previous stuff in "wrong" order I hit the triggers to unlock Academia. Progress! Hopefully it picks up some for me cause I'm having a hard time not just bouncing back off this between not diggin the 2 main characters (boring girlfriend plus the guy from Kingdom Hearts's unknown brother), the 2 char+monster party system, the music, the walkspeed, framerate wonkiness, uhhh yeah. At least after setting up DSR the graphics don't look like upscaled 720p butt.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
OK after getting back on track and in the groove of XIII-2 I'm digging it again, including the music now that some other tracks have been playing. Probably won't do much of any sidequest stuff but I'm happily cruisin' through the story. Now to hope I get some dings soon from adding 7, 8, and Lightning Returns to my cheapshark watch list for when I finish this one up.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
OK is somethin bugging out or am I just out of the loop on something - first on stage 1 now on stage 3 of the final boss fight in XIII-2 and I keep not being able to heal?? I don't see any red status effects, I cast cure on a person and watch the green numbers pop up over their head but their HP stays the same. It's makin' the fights pretty tough.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaKretin posted:

XIII-2 has a mechanic called bleed where your maximum HP slowly decreases throughout a fight as you take damage, and the final boss deals a lot of bleed damage. You need to use Bleed Potions or - I think Elixirs? I forgot what else exactly - to raise that back up to the cap and be able to heal again.

Thanks! Totes didn't see that was a thing.

NikkolasKing posted:

teh_Broseph, you made it from Sunleth to the end already? You must have done practically no sidequests, which is the majority of the game.

I guess that's kind of a good thing though since now the final boss is a challenge.

Jeeeezz you're right on that one. Pounded through to the final boss, banged away at it for a while, eventually wiped to one of the bigass attacks. Gonna call it a night and give it another shot tomorrow. Yeah I skipped sidequests; the handful that popped up I tried out were crazy boring fetch quests. Just came off running around sidequesting for eons to pretty much 100% XV which I really dug, so leaning towards just wrapping up the story and callin' it good on this one.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Woo I actually completed another FF game, last boss down and 13-2 checked off the list! Using wound potions, better usage of COM/COM/RAV (cuz I didn't have any COM monsters) to tank the big shots and MED/MED/MED to quickly esuna the status effects got me through it. My DPS was bad so the whole regenerating side pieces part suucked, ended up taking half an hour for just the final fight with a 0 star rating but hey, victory! On to Lightning Returns.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
XV ended up being one of my favorite FFs yo. I ran through the story on PS4 and sent it back to Gamefly when only like one DLC was out, and found it neat but clunky to get around with the crazy long load time. Scooped it on PC, watched Kingsglaive to have an idea of what was happening, and I guess the gorgeous graphics and much quicker load times to make travelling around no prob along with the usual FF thing of sometimes just has to be right time and place to play one made all the difference - ended up being the only one besides 7 that I nearly 100%-ed and had a great time doing it. The repeated complaints are there for sure, but the art, music, and core gameplay hooked me. For how jacked up a dev cycle it went through I'm pretty amazed at the package they put together, and that they're still working on it instead of stuff like Battlefront 2 that just gets dumped after a rough launch.
*Disclaimer I like bad games e.g. the only FF games I've held interest in enough to beat are the Worst Ones: 7 (to near 100%), 10, 13-1, 13-2, and 15

Glad I punched through the end of 13-2 and went straight to 13-3, it's really cool. Feeling kind of poo poo at the combat system but I think I'm coming around, and I'm kind of digging how it's a weird step-child of different game types mashed together with a Final Fantasy sheen on top.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

12 and 10-2 both aren't on this list so you don't have stereotypical internet opinions on the Worst Ones

(I like both of them but I hate 7 but nobody hates 10)

12 (PS4 Zodiac) is on the Gamefly list, haven't checked it out yet :black101:

What's up with 10-2 anyway? I forgot it even existed and never played it. I beat 10 but wasn't that big into it and didn't do anything but the main quest. Looks like there's a PS4 HD re-release I could rent.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 13, 2018

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

“if youre only here for fighting and job systems, youre gonna have rad time”

Groovy, sounds like 10-2 will at least be enough up my alley to try and run through the main quest. Guess I'll continue going through a handful of FFs I haven't played in reverse! 15-> 13.2 -> 13.3 -> 12 ->10.2. -> See if I have the motivation to on the 3rd or 4th try make it past the first disc of 8 -> Mayyybe play through 7 after not touching it since kid years. If I survive all that I should top it off with actually seeing the credits to 6 cuz I'm such a faker I never did in my handful of attempts, one that I think I even put down at the entrance of the final dungeon.

Yo person who just beat 7, did I catch ya saying you played it before back in the day? How'd it hold up? End up beating Ruby or Emerald or getting those other trophies you were goin' after?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

I think sometimes atelier games have aether (and phlogiston and all that goodness)

OP should check out VII, Aether shows up for a minute but she dies.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Someone said earlier that RAV/RAV/COM was the guaranteed slow way to kill stuff in 13 though the game makes it sound like that's the gud setup. So what is the gud setup for killing stuff quickly? I haven't played it for a while but in hour 43 once I got all the jobs I think my general plan was BUFF/DEBUFF/DEBUFF for a turn, RAV/RAV/COM to stagger, then COM/COM/RAV for damage.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Cool stuff to hear that I wish I knew playin the game. I can't remember if I heard about the free ATB on switching thing towards the end of XIII or if I didn't start doing it till like, halfway through XIII-2. Also definitely didn't figure the role boosts did much to stack until doing COM/COM/COM for big attacks real late in the game. They should've like, put a tutorial section in the game yo.

I'm glad I spent a minute on youtube after dipping my feet into XIII-3 with the tips to set up outfits like the other games in the series of having one stacking HP and defense for COM, one for magic, one for physical attacks. If I didn't I def would've just done 3 hybrid-ey sets for a long time and I imagine not had it work out great.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys I did it! IV is done and gone. Zeromus is no more. It was a harrowing battle but all the work I did getting bahamut and getting through the final dungeon put me way above the level I needed. I'm starting V tomorrow and will hopefully have it done before the end of May.

Congrats on knockin' another out, keep it rollin! :hfive:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

“We’re gonna kick this monster’s butt!”
*massive jelly monster appears*
“Which part is the butt?”
“Oh it’s ALL butt!”

Lawl :butt:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
FF goons I need more heelllppp pleeasee

Last I asked, I was getting stuck on the 13-2 final boss cuz I didn't know about the pain mechanic. I was woefully underlevelled from doing almost no sidequesting the whole game, but trucked on through and beat it after a few tries.

Now I'm at the final boss of 13-3, and after a couple of attempts only made it about 1/4 into his third phase and I guess there's a fourth?? I'm thrown off cause this time I did a boatload of sidequests and have felt pretty confident about my build and gear and stats and all. Not grind everything out get final endgame side stuff good, but plenty comfy. Buuutt then I get to the last area and severely struggled trying to fight an Arcangeli and just ran away, and at the last boss on the second try I couldn't burn down phase 1 without doom running out and popping a phoenix down. For how much sidequesting I did, compared to other FFs I thought I'd be able to dunk on stuff pretty handily, so one question is what's up with the curve that I'm not understanding - did I not do as much side stuff as I thought I did, or is my gear setup all jacked, or I'm just A Bad?

And the less rhetorical/ponderous question, what do ya think I should do? I have a save with 6 days left and the 5 main quests done and a save at the end. Enough sidequest stuff is done to get 13 days but talking to Hope and all I didn't see anything about the extra day dungeon thing. Maybe I didn't SQ enough or maybe I'm dumb and didn't count right or see it or something. Below are some pics of the setup I had at the last boss. Sounds like I need sub in more Aurora to spam, and I never got poison to land so I can swap that out, and sounds like I should use Soldier of Peace instead of Velvet Bouncer. I didn't go through the trials to get the Ultima Weapon sort of cause how much trouble I had trying to fight one Arcangeli in a hallway I figured screw it the trials would probably be harder than the boss.
I skipped the last 6 days I had left cause I was kind of ready to just cruise through to the end and cash out and call it done, was getting bored of running around and have XII showing up in the mail any day now.
Do I go back and quest some more to see what I can get from the extra dungeon? Do I just run through the trials for the Ultima weapon? Should I just tweak the setup for more Aerora spam and Git Gudder at the fight? I'm bummed cause after burning through 13-2 and cranking through the end, I've really dug 13-3 and played it a lot more and was all psyched up to go slam dunk god but then he just booted me right outta his house.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yesssss, anotha god slayed!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
So I ended up putzing around last night, almost youtubed the ending, closed it down. Skipped other garbage and just went back to my save at the end, ran through the trials and yeah they were laughably easy and short and the Ultima blade in this one is crazy :confused:. With my damage like quintupled it made for an anticlimactic fight of deprotect -> poke with sword, block sometimes, and on the last phase spam overclock some then deprotect -> swordpoke a few more times. Ending was pretty groovy with DEFEATING GOD WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP and

corn in the bible posted:

everyone please thank Lightning for creating france

13-3 down, and hopefully 12 shows up tomorrow. If I keep this up I'll finally get around to beating 6!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

I've been watching some retrospectives on Final Fantasy. It's made me feel a little nostalgic but I don't feel like playing the games again. I'm wondering if there are any good new games out in that style that would be worth checking out, other than Final Fantasy 15 which I've already played.

I was playing FFXV, Zelda BOTW (Switch), and Horizon ZD (PS4) all kind of at the same time (which got weird for remembering buttons and what I could do where) and they were all good games that had a lot of similarities gameplay-wise, would recommend checking those out if ya haven't and can. More on the RPG/FF elements side going back to FFXIII 1-3 are cool - don't know how the 13 Steam port is, 13-2 port is janky but OK after some fiddling, and 13-3 was good out of the box for me.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
PS Warning if you play those other games, if you push the button to pick up an item or talk to someone you probably won't jump which might be feel weird for a while.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

I actually played FFXV and FFXIII 1-3. I liked FFXV a lot. I LOVED that they realized that an adventuring party is just a road trip and literally made them just a bunch of dudes driving the country side. Sure there is like, some quest about Kings, but there is also like 1000s of stuff other than that. It was all really fun.

As for FXIII, the original was the weakest for me, but I actually liked the sequels for being weird and different. I'm also sucker for time travel story. My issue with FFXIII has to do with how everything (not just the maps) were forced on you: "use this party right now", "you have one line on the crystarium and that's it and it's locked off till you progress," etc,

I wish I had a PS4 and Switch, but I unfortunately do not: I did wish to play those games though.

Oh, wait, I get it now and I see why you're doing this: I worded it wrong. I went way too vague so of course you'd just point out how I was basically asking for a loving genre.

I meant to say "I was looking for games like the PS1 era of Final Fantasy specifically in the aesthetic styles of FF 7 and 8. That kind of anime cyperpunk, but more of FF7 or FF6's gameplay."

Oh well, regardless, thank you!

Nah it was just a dumb joke :) ala

Good luck tho and holler back if ya find anything, I've been on the same hunt periodically over the years and haven't come up with much that really scratched the itch especially on PC. Coming hot off getting super into XV I just started going backwards through the FF main series games I haven't finished and playing totally unrelated genres.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Zodiac Age opening fmv is a kickinrad start, this is gonna be The Worst FF isn't it. When it started with a wedding I wondered as a joke who was gonna die and then lol.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to take a glance at whether or not I should sell all my loot in XII ZA and holy poo poo it looks like there's some big complicated bizarre (hhaaaahh!) system. Um, is there a simple plan I can do for that for being middle ground just playing? I don't wanna totally screw myself out of gear, but I don't wanna sperg out on printed lists for minmaxing or anything at least until a second playthrough like next year or something. Can I just sell everything classified as loot willy nilly and buy stuff as it pops up in the bazaar, or is there a crafting system etc. that comes up to save for? I'm still real early, just did the thing to charge a sunstone, and have a few element-named stones that sound like keepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Awesome, thank ya. After all the recent time in the XIII series and XV, it's cool to throw one in that has a job system again. Game off to a good start.