Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
XIII has a job system like when I did telemarketing for 2 weeks in high school for a job system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

what, rapid and exhausting context switching in service of a Thanatosian death cult?

Sorry world I wouldn't use the time machine to kill hitler, it'd be to go back and use that line to quit that job

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

This is not a contradiction, unless you think that you have to sit there waiting for the opening.

Besides, it's not like you have to have perfect timing to play well. I'm loving garbage at pulling off perfect guards, but fortunately most enemies don't require that for staggering. I think you're getting way too caught up on the timing thing. It's not as necessary as you think it is.

The game does have some funky overall timing. You need to be aggressive and burn a lot of ATB to get staggers, but you also have to stop and block at the right times to not eat a lot of damage. But stop and block and you may lose your stagger meter. Or block at the right time and you may get a lot of stagger. Or if you're fighting multiple enemies maybe just eat some damage cause it's annoying to build stagger on one while blocking another. For non-bosses, fights felt less fluid and more like a puzzle game - just using whatever would be very ineffective but match up vulns and stun triggers and press those buttons at the right time and then you blow through the fight using the exact same steps easily every time like playing guitar hero. But then each fight I kind of had to throw everything out and figure out the flow for the next one. Overall I had fun with the combat but the closer I looked at it the more different it seemed from other FFs, even the other XIII-s.

My couple quick tips are to set your 3 outfits up like RAV/COM/SEN - one stacking magic damage to build stagger, one for physical to deal damage after stagger, and one you don't really attack with that stacks HP/def for blocking. And for game time spam Chronostasis and don't worry about it too much. I popped Chrono a lot and used fights to replenish the EP, and did a bunch of sidequests just cuz and they added a lot more days. By the time I was ready to wrap it up I had to jump straight to a hotel to skip ahead 6 days to get to the end.

The SQ bonuses really do suck.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

Uematsu isn't going to be involved but I mean they could always license Linkin Park for the sound track, same thing right

Don't see why not, it worked for XIII-2, or was that the DmC soundtrack they used

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 10, 2018

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
And make sure you play 1 on NES hardware so you can experience having to hold down the power and reset buttons in the right way to save your game and hope it doesn't destroy your save every time you do it (am I remembering that right as being a thing?)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Konami noooooo

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Bunch of us playin through TZA huh? I just hit the part where you can double up on jobs - what do I look for in OP-edness if I'm skipping grinding and probably sidequests? Currently rockin a monk, red mage, and knight.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

EmmyOk posted:

Considering all the improvements they made it's insane to me that you can lose out on the best weapons for the Shikari by buying the wrong Quickening squares with no indication you're totally screwing yourself.

Also Vayne having multiple forms is expected for a final boss but it was so at odds with his whole presentation as a villain, his middle form looks like the muscle suit from Arrested Development.

Wait what, I haven't gotten that far yet into the job boards, before I screw myself what does that mean

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yo thanks for the heads up! Did not know that stuff, and that explains some of the tile placement that I didn't understand.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

lobster22221 posted:

Everyone knows the best final fantasy game is the spirits within. Its all cutscene so you can skip the entire thing.

:vince: We finally found the worst best FF

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Good news! The following games have triggered the price alert you set up on CheapShark:
FINAL FANTASY VII:
Steam - $5.99
Final Fantasy VIII:
Steam - $5.99

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
PC port of X-2 OK? In my Gamefly queue but it's $15 on Steam Sale so may as well just buy it.

If FFs are really the only JRPGs I've played since having to become an adult but I liked Star Ocean or whatever on PSX and the Gamecube Tales game, is one of the new Tales games on PC cool and good to get on sale? Mostly just care about purty graphics and fun combat.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet, picked up 7, 8, X-2, and Bersaria to add to Zodiac and Xenoblade 2 that I have out from gamefly. *Loads up Overwatch again*

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Made it to Draklor Lab..almost..through..12. Switched to what I hope is braindead comp of knight/white, foe/white, and black/time. Kinda got hosed not realizing other party members get LP but not (or reduced) XP, so after grinding they're at lvl 34 and like 22/22. Crossing my fingers that'll still slide. Think I'm gonna get through it barely touching the gambit system cuz it sounds straight annoying to have to spend LP, gold, and time figuring out how to really set it all up to be both effective and efficient. Really just want to crank through so I can check out X-2 maybe crank through that and get on to 8 and 7 which are what I really wanna play! (I know if I had just started on those I'd prolly get through them and never get around to the rest instead of working my way backwards like I have been.)

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Onmi posted:

In Vanilla? No. In Zodiac Age, no idea.

They get LP but if they do get XP it's heavily scaled, I swapped a couple party members in 3/4 or so through Zodiac and they were 10 levels behind. It worked out OK though since LP and gear seem to matter a lot more than levels and you can catch them up some pretty quick by having gambits set OK and just 4x speed run around an area slaying mobs that don't give you a tough time near a tent save crystal.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not asking about non-active party members (who do not get XP), I'm asking about guests (Larsa, Vossler, etc).

Basically I'm doing lategame cleanup with a guest (because fourth party member) but they keep getting their rear end whipped because their HP is so low so I'm worried that they won't level with me while I'm doing everything.

Ohhh, right. Dunno much about the game systems but I'm pretty positive I just saw a guest get levels with me last night.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Sa-weet, hit the credits in XII, another one down! Didn't capture me enough to want to do sidequests but that was a good Final Fantasy that I dug. I mighta liked it even more had I played it back in the day, but playing it right after/alongside the 13s, 15, and Octopath it felt clunky in the transition from not being firmly "classic" style and not having the QoL and streamlining parts of the more modern stuff. The Ivalice style is great and I'd love to see more in not-an-MMO with the art level allowed by newer tech instead of the PS2-era look. How bout an FFXV flashback DLC yo.

I'm not sure if I can celebrate or not, in the end can I count it that in FF form I killed god, again, or was that just like some dude with a helping hand of a rebel god-ish cast out? ..Who I guess also wanted to kill god..and it seemed like after Ashe decided not to do what the spooky ghost gods said it didn't really matter if Vayne or Vaan won, both sides had already decided humans would guide their own fate? Still mattering for the people if the empire won or not of course.

The reverse catch-up checklist now at 15, 13-2, 13-3, 12, and have 10-2 on deck.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Going through the creature capture tutorial in X-2..can I just skip all this and not be gimping myself? Really don't care about Pokemoning.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in FFX-2, about halfway through I think in the temple after the series of missions where you steal uniforms, and I just found out to get the bonuses on garmet grids like +5 DEF you have to change classes through those grid spots. Huh. I'm being really boring and just rolling with black mage/white mage/warrior and barely ever switching. Kind of wondering if I'm not ~playing it right~, the mechanic is there but I'd kind of rather just nuke someone with -aga spells over taking turns to cycle through to classes then taking turns not nuking with -aga spells to get stat bonuses.

Also just wanna say it's weird going backwards through FFs and seeing the mechanic refinement and how they play out differently. Playing 12 then X-2 back to back makes me admire how in 13 they combined the two and smoothed it out with X-2's mid battle job switching (but giving you free turns as another reason to do it) and 12's AI doing stuff for you but knowing what to do without having to unlock, buy, and set gambits. Kind of regretting not getting 13 in the last sale since I haven't played it for years and it sounds cool to do it again with a fresh view. But on deck is finishing X-2, 8, 7, 6, Xenoblade 2, Octopath, and Bersaria so I'm sure it'll be on sale again by 2021.

Fake edit oh nice I already own 13 just flagged it as hidden in Steam where I bet I finished it and said what was that poo poo lol.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
My few lessons learned for Lightning Returns were:
Dedicate a schema to guarding, one to magic damage, and one to physical damage
You have plenty of time - spam chronostasis and doing sidequests and whatever will earn you extra days
Sidequest rewards seem to suck pretty bad but I really dug the game so it was more stuff to do so whatever
At the end it'll be like, hey do you wanna fight the final boss or go do a bunch of sidequesting for some gear that'll be cool, and what it really means is go fight the boss now and it'll be really hard or go fight like 10 regular battles and we'll give you some obscenely strong gear that'll make it more of a regular fight.

It's a groovy game glhf

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
All I really remember about playing through probably half of FFV on that PSX Chronicles or whatever release was when I got a Berserker, then got a sickle that randomly casted death. Buuut instead of the usual FF "1 in 20 attacks will add poison that ticks for 1% damage every other turn" kind of effects it just flat killed everything all the time and it was awesome.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Heyooo, finally hit the X-2 credits :dance: (well, ending playing right now). I slowed down a lot towards the end, got thwomped by one of the last boss phases and didn't load the game back up for a bit, did some grinding, got around to loading it back up tonight probably weeks later and finished it out. Did the grinding cause again on this one I did almost no sidequesting, missed getting Dark Knight which I guess is good and missed Paine's limit break whatever you call it, and had garbage accessories. All in all found it a pretty groovy game.

RIP ending graphics bugged out lol

Sorry 9, recently made a third attempt to get through it and just couldn't bring myself to keep trying to care after making it to the part where the dude kidnaps your crew and you go to some desert. Next on deck, third attempt (since it came out) to play through 8.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
FFX-2 seemed to have pretty low HP bosses - without sidequesting or grinding or anything to power up I was surprised how quick a lot of the fights went. I'm not entirely sure if I thought it was a good thing or not overall, but was kinda nice sometimes for sure.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It's great to not sell monster parts and items and stuff that can be used for crafting and instead do hunts if you need cash. Draw 99 of each element, load all 99 of all 3 into one spell craft, then play around with adding in the items you have with the goal of getting the spell to lvl 99 with as few items as possible along with seeing what ega/era/multicast/etc. stuff it adds on. You'll nuke stuff.

For pop-in, try raising the TRAM setting if you can, and maybe model LOD, and try running off an SSD if you can and aren't already.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
RIP, I was really lookin forward to getting a new CPU next year and cranking the settings with all the XV DLC :smith:. Another here that really dug the game and wanted more stuff to come out for it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

Nope. You're gonna play as a sentient pile of laundry and you're gonna like it.

:lol:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Ree-oo

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

I booted up FFXV today to play the new FFXIV collab quest and discovered they had done a Terra Battle collab as well. And I have to say the TB quest was the superior one. 'Sarah' from TB was pretty likable and came with a bunch of unique attacks and animations including a pair attack where she and Noctis knock each other down :lol: The boss was more entertaining as well. Biggest downside is that it made me think of how the Last Story or Drakengard might look with a FFXV budget, since they share the TB character designer.

Anyway now Noctis is permanently sporting cat ears and a tail with a cute white tip. I'm gonna miss this silly game when the final DLC has been released.

How's the collab quest stuff work, like is it a separate menu item or what? I was gonna hold off till the Areanaaenea DLC and the new AMD chips to come out but I'm kind of getting an itch to play this and those collabs might be my excuse.

Noctis is p groovy in Tekken 7 yo

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Rinoa repesents coming of age and Squall represents the inevitability of death. Ultimecia is meant to represent you, the player. All other characters represent the dangers of ignorance, except for Angelo who obviously is meant to show the struggles of the working class, and Doom Train which is the negative impacts of industrialization.

Having recently (slowly) started 8, I'm glad of this post so I can be aware of the deep story metaphors to watch for going in.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Thread is good yo! Good games need to stop coming out, the posts about 8 are making me feel bad about starting it and switching over to other stuff (for like the 4th time in my life). I'm hype about the living laundry basket DLC bout to come out for 15 though

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Tonfa posted:

I wish the game just blasted any new players with a giant message that says SWITCH TO OFFROAD REGALIA ASAP because that's how you actually have fun with the open world, I feel sorry for those who played at launch

Keep feelin sorry cause as of Royal Edition they put it behind a quest line for Cindy that takes till..

e: looks like end of the game, Ch 15 to be able to complete it https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/87nn7s/question_about_the_regalia_and_ch_15_spoiler/

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 19, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeh I never used the truck after I got it anyway, fastest I was able to get around in a 100% playthrough was use the regular car to fast travel (or auto drive and look at my phone) to the closest spot to my destination, hop out and chocobo to go do whatever, then menu fast travel back to the car and use it to fast travel on to the next spot. At least once playing on PC from an SSD where load times are all pretty snappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

DevCore posted:

I just came in here to vent to people who might understand, but I just spent 2.5 hours fighting and beating FFXV's Adamantoise, did a Return to Car and my game froze on the loading screen.
Restarting it set me back before I started the bounty.

I'd like to die now.

:rip::rip::rip:

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah i just did that monday actually. spent probably like 20 minutes doing warp stabs and then did the instakill spell and it worked first time also it looked super weird and cool

yesterday i did bismarck so now debating if i should try the omega weapon fight or finally actually beat the game. think i've gotten all the other question marks on the map

Have ya done Pitioss?