Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Okay yeah, I'll do this. Do I want to play hard or regular though? Any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
All right, I'll go ahead and do a hard mode run. Should be fun when I get white mage, white mage, white mage, white mage.

Huh, whats with all the #berserkerrisk tweets at gilgabot?

Lilli fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 2, 2012

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Saigyouji posted:

Registered for this year's Four Job Fiesta with hard mode and berserker risk, since I finished it last year. Team was Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, and Dragoon, which was some fun synergy. Almagest is still a pain, though.

Feel sorry for anyone who manages to get three berserkers, though.

I'm still debating whether I want to put myself at Berserker Risk. I'm not sure if I'm good enough to win with three berserkers and a wind crystal job.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
2012-06-05 16:12:47 Hidden_Wings I #pledge $.50 per win, and an additional $.50 per berserker in a victory shot. (Total cap $150)

Okay, I guess I'll put myself at Berserker Risk for that.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

swamp waste posted:

you don't say?

I liked 12 pretty well, but man I just don't want to grind poo poo out like that ever, especially in a single player story driven game. It's unavoidable in games now though. Even the Souls games which are otherwise super tight have grinding for upgrades.

Roguelikes are kinda the anti-Final Fantasy, but they share some basic building blocks. I've been playing Brogue and the way it integrates trad RPG upgrading mechanics with exploration and progress into the game is so expert. I know it's probably not equivalent but it just seems loving clumsy that a multimillion dollar franchise with a team of hundreds and 25 years of history can't resolve fundamental problems that a 2MB shareware game knocks out of the park

To be fair, Broque is almost entirely gear based in terms of whether you win or not. Which means there's a huge factor of luck as to how well you end up doing due to the randomization of the loot. There are certainly some skill aspects, but not nearly to the degree of most roguelikes.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I just beat VI yesterday after having not played it since I was approximately eight years old. I didn't really remember/pay attention to much of the story line or any the various character development scenes as a kid. That game was loving depressing.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 7, 2012

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

VaultAggie posted:

I always let Cid die, simply because it results in a much better scene. Sorry Cid. :(

I didn't see that scene as a kid (somehow I managed to save him on accident), I just remembered having to feed him a bunch of fish. This play through I accidentally killed him when I fed him a rotten fish. That scene was heartbreaking.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I finished off most of the story line stuff, but I quit right before the levelcap was raised from 75. The story was actually really well done, and I enjoyed those parts, but I played as a summoner. Probably some of the most painful times I've spent leveling.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I'm getting more and more excited about FJF as it draws closer. Just five more days now! I convinced two, maybe three of my friends to register too. Can't wait to play it. :)

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Play VI, it's still one of my favorites in the series, but I might suggest playing V since the four job fiesta is coming up so soon.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Well everyone knows FF VI is the best one. :smug:

edit: :smug:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Barudak posted:

Maybe if you play Awful Fantasy. Vanilla VI is kinda boring and frankly pretty glitchy.

Now let me tell you about Final Fantasy Legends III, the one where the plot is that all of existence is a gameshow and the final boss is the producer of your TV series which he is trying to cancel.

It's funny, that was actually the second game I played with Final Fantasy in the title. I had FF4 on the SNES as a kid and I enjoyed it enough that I ended up buying that because I thought it was another final fantasy game.

p.crestmont posted:

Not everyone, it's an elite club for only those with the finest taste.

Which makes it all the sweeter.

:smug:

Oh but of course. :smug:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Someone willing to sign me up for the fiesta (hard mode)? I'd setup a twitter account for it but :effort: as I wouldn't make any other use of it.

For what it's worth you also have to use your twitter to get your jobs at each crystal. So even if someone makes one for you, you then have to ask them to tweet all the crystals for you.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Dragonatrix posted:

I think his run is supposed to start at midnight on the 15th (Japan Standard Time, for... some reason I'm not sure of) which was about 8 hours ago. Whether it actually did or not, I can't tell since I can't find any indication of it at least.

Its starts at like some godawful early hour EST tomorrow.

edit: "WE ARE CLOSING IN ON THE START TIME! ABOUT 14 HOURS TO RK'S RUN (http://letsplaying.com/FF5FF/rkrun.php) $807 IN DONATIONS RIGHT NOW!" was posted 3 hours ago on the gilgabot twitter. So somewhere between 6-7 am tomorrow, maybe 8?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Fungah! posted:

Yeah, that's where I was this time last year. I'd beaten V umpteen times before, but it was always with the same overpowered jobs and abilities. The Fiesta gave me a reason to play the game fresh, and even though I wasn't terribly happy with my team I had a lot of fun.

I'm personally looking forward to my team of thief/berserker/berserker/berserker

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
RK's run is now live at http://www.letsplaying.com/lets-playing/FF5FF/rkrun.php or http://ja.twitch.tv/revenantkioku#r=-rid-&s=em

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Allan Assiduity posted:

I don't believe so, but if someone with more knowledge about IRC wants to claim #ffvfjf (or just #ffv) for the duration, that could be radical :)

As of now, RK is having some technical difficulties, right after some gameplay difficulties: getting the Main Gauche from the Fire Crystal castle (took a wrong turn).

I didn't claim the channel, but I'm sitting in #ffv on synirc if people want to hang out there during the fiesta.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Bellmaker posted:

Sup Monk/Berserk buddy :(

High five, me too.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
In my non #berserkerrisk run I ended up with Black Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Chemist. Geomancer isn't great, but I certainly have no room to complain.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Oh god, my #berserkerrisk run ended up being Monk/Berserker/Thief/Dancer. :suicide:

The friend I'm running it with got Monk/Monk/Berserker/Blue Mage. I'm somehow almost jealous of that team.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Bellmaker posted:

Chemist off the Earth crystal :hellyeah:

Monk/Berserker/Bard/Chemist should be plenty of fun, I've never really used Chemist before.

Chemist makes monk bearable in the late game. A few Samson's Mights really causes their damage to skyrocket.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Progress update:

Welp, I'm at Exdeath. I was level ~35 or so when I got there, but his auto attacks did enough damage that they'd kill my thief and dancer in one hit. My berserker and monk had enough HP to survive the auto attacks, but they'd die to holy. I'm now spending hours just grinding levels so I can survive his first forms attacks. Second form is going to be ugly. Thief/Monk/Berserker/Dancer isn't a particularly fun combination. I feel like I have no real combat abilities, just auto attack. If it weren't for dancer I probably would have just given up on the run.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Yay, it only took another 13 levels, but Exdeath is now dead!

I abused the odin trick and killed the three front parts before using the magic lamp to finish the job. Saved me a lot of grief. That and having my monk sword dance a few times for ~15000 on parts was nice.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

TurnipFritter posted:

I signed up for the Fiesta and got Thief. Do I have to tweet #wind when I get to the Wind Crystal or...?

Nope, it just gives it to you at the start if you register after the fiesta begins. Proceed straight to #water crystal tweeting.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Kyrosiris posted:

Confusion from the Dancer's Tempting Tango.

You can also use the dancing knife to do this.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

ShadeofDante posted:

Well I hit the final wall.

My team of Blue/Berserk/Beast/Dragoon went relatively smoothly through the Void, skipped Necromorph because gently caress that, and then got my face stomped in hard by Neo Exdeath. His first form wasn't even a challenge, just able to keep everyone healed with White Wind while my Berserker/Dragoon do good damage.

But Ahgrest or whatever that move Neo Exdeath does... there's no real way to prepare for that outside of grinding isn't there? I'm sitting at L37 on everyone and felt that would've been fine for completing the challenge. :sigh:

Do you have mighty guard? It should keep your party up through almagest, and then you can use your blue mage to basically just spam white wind. The bottom part of ex death is the one that casts it, so kill him first and save your magic lamp zetsuken to kill the back part (or doom, I think blue mage doom works on it.)

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Harlock posted:

Is Berserker really that bad? I just got it to go with my Black Mage.

It's mostly bad because they can't be controlled (no item use, no special abilities), and the turn system interacts with them wonkily so they take slower turns than normal. That and they provide no real useful abilities to the rest of your party.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

a boxing teahorse posted:

Being able to Dual-Cast Raise, have Berserk/Confuse and break Rods are all really useful for the entire game. You could do waaaay worse with the Water Crystal.

Way worse as in berserker? Not much else from the water crystal thats worse.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

glod posted:

I started a google doc here, everyone should contribute with the stuff they found useful so far so that more people can finish this thing. I've added a little about the four jobs I used and some general tips but it'd be nice if others contributed!

edit: it's actually editable now.

Going to post this to the new page since it exploded into a useful document and anyone having trouble should take a look through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FF3, 5, and Tactics use the job system. I've found useless jobs in each game.

FFXI and XIV :v: