Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

That was DQ8, and some of the puns in that were pretty incredible.

8 is the only DQ I've played. I loved it, puns and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

^^^^^Glad to know I'm not the only one baffled by Quistis abandoning her duties. That's pretty much word for word my thoughts when I played that mission the last time I played.

One time I tried defending FF8. I gave up after I started convincing myself it was more terrible than I thought.

If your name isn't Squall or Rinoa, you don't matter to the plot. Rinoa is apparently contractually obligated to need rescue at least once a disc, Squall does everything. Everyone else pretty much fails at whatever they do without Squall, who then fixes their mistake or deals with the fallout.

Still, Selphie likes explosions and ends the game with a cowboy boyfriend and a hotrod red Dragon Spaceship, which objectively makes her the best character. :)

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 18, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like the characters of 8 - as starting points. The only one that got any character development was Squall, and it happened in the time it took you to swap between disc 2 and disc 3.

The other characters needed to have some importance, and not in the hokey "we grew up in an orphanage together but forgot." way. I swear, that scene in Trabia Garden is my least favorite scene in the series, period, just for what it reveals about the plot.

As far as Quistis goes, shockingly she's actually portrayed pretty consistently. She's demoted for not having leadership skills, and that seems like bullshit because she just shot a giant mechanical spider dead with a gatling gun and if that doesn't scream leadership potential I don't know what does. Then you give her a leadership position, and she blows it big time. She didn't even have the presence of mind to tell the others to stay in position. They weren't mean to Rinoa! Why do they have to follow you to apologize? Sadly, FF8 seems filled with moments like that.

For the record, FF8 used to be my favorite Final Fantasy, back when I played it as a kid. When I went back to it as an adult, I understood it better and it lost a lot of charm. I still enjoyed it, will probably play it again, but I can't deny it's a train wreck.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

The other characters not having any development or really mattering is actually a deliberate choice by the creators. They thought that having other characters get things like subplots, sidequests or even their own theme songs (because you'll notice none of the other PCs have themes in 8) would 'distract' the player from Squall and Rinoa and their amazing love story. That's why every male character except Squall is some combination of stupid, comic relief, or obstacle for Squall to demonstrate his worth by beating.
The obviously incomplete characters distract me more than any subplot ever could. If you're really trying to focus on Squall x Rinoa, why make other characters in the first place? I'd have prefered it if the other four were NPC's (sorry Selphie). Or if it had dozens of temporary characters coming and going. I could get behind that. Four characters you have for the entire game who never grow as people? The wrong way to do it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What. I don't even

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty sure that Square is painfully aware of the problem and the sales to cost is going to spur them to get something different going quickly.
They messed up at least 4 games in a row (13, 13-2,14 and 13-3) so I wouldn't call it quickly. But I hear they fixed 14, so I'm cautiously optimistic of the future. Not that I plan on buying future FF's until I see it in action. We'll see.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1st AD posted:

Isn't there a way to guarantee that your team hits Sword Dance all the time? iirc there are several weapons and armor that will facilitate this, and Sword Dance is pretty good when you actually do it.
There are 3 items that improve the chance to 50%, but I don't think they stack. Could be wrong though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh, god her frowny face haha! :allears:

While on those lines, I really love what he did for Garland.

It's pretty much an original design for Garland - the art Amano did is only of the Cloudsea Djinn.

Which is also pretty cool, I must add

But what I really like about it, is not only does it compliment the Warrior of Light's design, but it incorporates things from Garland's orignal sprite (the cape, horns), the Cloudsea Djinn (the earrings), and echoes/foreshadows his transformation into Chaos (the faces on the knees, the additional horns on the helmet, etc).

The concept art looks so much better than the models...:(
... I know I shouldn't expect better, but that's just sad. Her hat looks like it's made of plastic.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I... Might buy that Ff8. It always irked me that I couldn't get those summons that are only in the pocket thing.

And it's only 12 dollars.*

* This is how terrible decisions are made.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not very familiar with Steam; does it support actual controllers?

I am not playing FF8 on a keyboard.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Sadly no. I'm a member of the forum where most all of FFVII's lovely mods come from and there is a forum for FFVIII mods too and it's pretty much nothing but a few difficulty patches or a translation tweak or a driver to display the game in higher resolution.

It's a tragedy too because, as much as I love FFVII, it doesn't need all the work that's been lavished on it. FFVIII does. It could really benefit from an overhaul of gameplay like people did with FFVII and maybe some other things too.
You never know. The steam release might inspire more modders to take a look at FF8.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It really is a terrible place, when you think about it. All the characters are child soldiers.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I, too, would like to see my serious melodramas about the nature of life, death and sacrifice be followed up by Charlie's Angels meets Josie and the Pussycats with magic.
I know right?

X2 was fun as hell. It's story wasn't the greatest, but then the same can be said for a lot of FF's. They all seem to fall apart near the end.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It did bring us the best line.

Yuna posted:

I don't like your plan. It sucks.

You have no idea how many times I've wanted to say that in video games.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked the Dark Elf and Icewind Dale Trilogies....

I would describe X-2 as lighthearted and poppy. Whereas X's tone was possibly the dreariest and most consistently dark in the series, X-2, being our first real sequel, offers a fresh perspective on the ever after bit. So you saved the world - then what? Spira is throwing off a pall of a millennium of tyranny and fear of Godzilla. The results are generally cheerful but of course there's the whole civll war between the Youth League and New Yevon. Then there's Shuyin.

I would at least completely disagree with Paine being lazily written. Next to Yuna, her subplot is the best thing in the game. The whole Crimson Squad stuff is criminally optional but if you watch all the spheres and visit the Den of Woe, you will witness one of a few genuinely atmospheric and intense moments in the game.
Paine is great because she's basically Squall, minus the bad parts.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

What the hell did he do to Lightning? Is that supposed to be sexy? I don't remember her having proportions like that.

... I won't be buying this game. Malibu Lightning is already going to haunt my nightmares.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The farther in the game you get, the better the equipment you get. Forget JRPG's, this applies to almost every game ever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

That huge brain is also the brain that came up with the opus that Cloud was a closet homosexual because he was constantly being dominated by Tifa and Aeris, so yeah, guy's just really desperate for attention.
wait what

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I remember that game. My brother got it for Christmas, and I got Infinite Undiscovery.

I think I got the better deal.

Edit: No, autocorrect, not In discovery.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah it was pretty bad, objectively. I still enjoyed it though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you saying Star Wars has a better story than FFVII?

I don't like Star Wars. Well, the movies anyway. I'd probably take any FF game over them in terms of story and characters.
Why choose? If you play Final Fantasy XII you can have both! :pseudo:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Learning abilities from FF9 is the best part of the gameplay though? It's really cool to go to a town and see what new pieces of equipment you can pick up since it means more abilities, and doing sidequests feels legit rewarding since you can get good skills like AP UP and MP Attack really early, at least IMO. I don't really have a problem with the FF5/7/8 style of characters essentially being skins for your job/matera/junction setups, but it's really more of an apples and oranges thing as opposed to one game doing it flat out better than the other like FF5's job system compared to FF3. I guess the whole Trance activating automatically is stupid, but frankly, it seems silly to consider it even a minor complaint since it would be completely gamebreaking if it had manual input.

On another note, am I the only one who thinks FF5's ability system is pretty bad? I don't mean jobs, the job system itself is pretty fantastic even among current JRPGs for being able to make so many party combinations at any time, and have nearly all of them, within reason, be viable. The actual ability system kinda...sucks though. Compared to something like Final Fantasy Tactics, where you can equip a secondary command, a support ability, a counter skill and a movement skill, Final Fantasy 5 feels lacking in that regard. Hell, most non-mages don't have a skillset to equip, just a command you probably never touch in the actual job itself. It never feels like you're customizing and building up a unit like in Tactics, because you're just giving a Black Mage !White or a melee job like Samurai Two-Handed. Which is still cool in its own way, it just feels like it could work better if you could replace the Attack command with stuff like !Mug or !Aim, and had a slot dedicated to the Equip X skills.
Keep in mind that FF5 came out years before Tactics and was itself a vast improvement over FF3. It'd be strange if they didn't learn something.

The system works perfectly fine, and I for one like it. Even though you can't change the jobs much, you can use Bare/Freelancer and Mime to get a similar effect.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Every job system game has that "get key abilities, stay in job with good stats" trait to it, though? :confused:
Except Final Fantasy 5! Instead, you get key abilities and stats, finish in Bare/Freelancer or Mime. :eng101:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yes, I know the phone games that aren't the mainstream titles exist, thank you.

EDIT: In other news the scenario writer of FFX has talked about the possibilities of an FFX-3.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/final-fantasy-x-scenario-writer-possibility-final-fantasy-x-3/

So yeah, I dunno what they could do with a theoretical FFX-3, but if they could invent something with FFX-2, I'm sure they can do something new.
I'd be OK with this. As long as it's done well, and not like pretty much all of the XIII games.

... My confidence isn't high on that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well the current rumors of X-3 are something.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/12/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-voice-drama-spoilers-leak-out-suggest-sequel-is-inevitable/

Potential spoiler for voice drama added in the remaster:On one hand Tidus and Yuna breaking up is kind of funny, on the other hand that and Sin returning completely invalidates the previous games in my opinion.
How have they ALREADY ruined it? I don't care what they do with Yuna/Tidus but don't bring back Sin. I don't care if you make the enemy a giant flying whale name Fin, just don't invalidate the game you're trying to capitalize on.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1st AD posted:

All you suckers will buy that poo poo anyways so I'm pretty sure SE is just catering to their fanbase.
I wouldn't. I enjoyed Advent Children for what it was (dumb action flick) but I've never played any of the EU games. I also cut line after FF XIII. So if X-3 is poo poo, I won't buy it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:smith:
I wish this surprised me. It's already reading like a bad fanfiction. Yuna and Tidus break up just in time to hook up with the OC's.

RIP Yuna's character development.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I won't go so far as say I like it, but I think Quistis' stupid decision to apologize is consistent with her character.

She got fired for poor leadership skills and then proved it by being a lovely leader.

The entire scene is still terrible though. Made me want to hit my head against the wall. Why did she need to bring Zell and Selphie to apologize? Leave them there to do your job! Or better, act like you aren't a moron and do your job yourself.

I don't think they're is any major stupidity (except that apparently the Garden's final exam is to loving reenact D-Day, for reals). Could be wrong though, it might be dumber than I remember.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Barudak posted:

Irvine is a ponytail wearing cowboy, ergo he is not a cowboy. QED.

Vanille is in the same realm of poo poo but she has the benefit of not having been trained from birth to do one thing, have everyone tell you they are amazing at one thing, and then reveal they are actually incapable of actually doing that one thing. And you know, being an awful human being that can't stop hitting on women to cover up his flagrant insecurities.
My memory is telling me that the reason he couldn't shoot wasn't incompetence, but because she's basically his mom. Also: teenager.

My memory may be lying to me though. I knew I shouldn't have gotten into junctioning, but all the cool kids were doing it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Delsaber posted:

I'd like to go back and ask my younger self the same question. I guess something always felt off to me about FFVI's translation, even if it wasn't nearly as messy as VII. Something in the tone perhaps?

I probably also glossed over a lot of VII's issues, especially the early hours where those problems are most noticeable, trying to keep up with my friends who were also all playing it for the first time. It probably wasn't until my second run that I really started to notice all the weird flaws.

I wonder when it was that Square finally started taking more care with their localization work? FFIX maybe? Though not as bad as VII, I remember the first translation for Tactics being pretty drat rough in that area as well. "Blame yourself or God" still gets a laugh in parts of my circle.
FFVIII had a mess of a story but I don't think it had any major translation issues. It makes sense they would pay more attention to it after the huge success of FFVII.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sunning posted:

It's probably in the works. After KH 1.5's success, HD remakes are a low hanging fruit. FFXII is already kind of a proto-HD game with its emphasis on texturing over complex geometry. It looks excellent on emulators.
I bet they won't give us Zodiac Job System, though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Armor-Piercing posted:

Based on what? We're getting international version content for X and X-2.
general pessimism, really.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sympathetic villains and total monsters both have a place in narrative. What matters most is how well it's written. Some people might have preferences one way or the other, but overall they both can work.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

alcharagia posted:

The third Aladdin movie is the only good Disney DTV sequel. :colbert:
D2: The Mighty Ducks and Rescuers Down Under. Checkmate :colbert:

But yeah, Aladdin and the King of Thieves owned bones too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gigglefeimer posted:

Why are you going for 100% story completion if you don't actually want to watch the story?
Some people get twitchy if they don't 100% something.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

Wait, like... everything that has ever died? Holy poo poo that's ridiculous. I don't even know how to describe that.
Terrible. They're probably trying to bring Seymour back too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like how the performer class has the guy dressed like Elvis.

Also, I glanced over the swordmaster class and his sword stat was B. :iiam:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Because the Swordmaster uses Katanas, far superior to petty Gaijin swords. :smug:
Ooooh, took a closer look. Didn't see Katanas the first time. :ms:

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 15, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

E: Also, they way I'd fix FFVIII is to just limit the number of spells you can equip to each stat to your current level. That way, levelling up would allow you to also get more powerful relative to enemies, so the exact same enemies from the starting area aren't just as difficult at the end of the game as they are at the start. You could also have a separate stock of magic, so you can keep casting spells without reducing your stats, and the game would warn you when you're about to run out of disposable spells and start going into your junctioned ones.
Oooh, I like that. Seems like a simple change, too. I wonder if it could be done in a mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Balthier is approximately 50% slower to fire a gun or a bow than any other character.

There's like a 90% chance you don't care. But if you're in the 10% of people who minmax everything, like me, don't do what your natural instincts would do and give the leading man the gun... because he's the worst, by far, with his long awful animation, and you will regret it.
Fran is similarly slow with a bow. I like giving her guns.