Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I was gonna say something else but then I remembered the one that's actually the most :krad:.

Busting out of the Shin-Ra building into the crazy motorcycle chase. Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Rinoa doesn't inherit Edea's powers. You don't get to use her again until after the Adel battle, she's inherited Adel's powers.

Schwartzcough posted:

Because of course putting someone in a coma is the best way to get them into space. It makes perfect FFVIII sense!

And does Ultimecia have perfect GPS for everyone in the past she's interested in? How did she find Edea? How would she know where Odine is? If she can do that, why didn't she just possess Ellone directly? I hate this game.

Odine was actually in Esthar. She just put her in a coma to get her out of the way. Then she went to space because that's where Adel was!

Alternatively, she read a history book and knew what she had to do.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I mean if we're doing it we're doing it and it goes.

Tier 1: 6, 7, 9.

6 and 7 are my favourite from the perspective of the art-design as a cohesive whole, while I think 9 does it really well most of the time, and amazingly some of the time (e.g. Alexander).

I think 6's design is a work of art, just based on the way they pushed the SNES to its limits. I think Kefka is probably the best final-boss-battle the series has done so far and I'm glad I played through it. The characters are solid but for the most part didn't stand out as much as, say, CT from the same era. Fights were easy, the world was cool but the villain was lacking much other his evil-ness. Has some of the best music in the series, but it also has some tedious elements to it. It had some really cool optional stuff in the world of ruin, but the nature of the second half of the game made everything a bit awkward.

7 has my favourite world and city design from start to finish. I love Midgar, and I love what happens to it throughout the game. I really dig the characters and how messed up they were, all of them. I also felt like they were better utilised than most of 6's were, especially the optional characters. Translation is iffy but really not that bad aside from some jarringly wrong ones. Battles are easy, or Ruby and Emerald WEAPON. This game has my favourite music from the series, and I think that's because it makes the best use of the music it has. The Sephiroth battle has so much attention given to it within the game code that I wish it was a harder fight, but the final battle in Cloud's mind is a way better version of the same setpiece from 10 (i.e., can't lose, a cleansing of sorts). Pity about the character sprites too. I like how over-expressive they are, but drat are they ugly. Still has my favourite intro mission to date.

9 works great most of the time, and has some of the best set pieces in the series - the You Are Not Alone one is always better than I remember it to be - and has a good core of strong characters. Unfortunately it also has Amarant and Quina. It is a great send off to the old days of FF and has the best chocobo music. That said, the alt-planet stuff never really sat fully right. I preferred it when it was about the people on that planet and their struggles within it. I know its an FF tradition that you have to save at least the world but still.

Tier "Hey Pretty Good!": 4,5,10

Not going to talk as much about them. 4 is really impressive for its time and holds up decently well, but it can't compare with what 6 did on the same system or what 7 brought to the table on a new one. 5 has, without a doubt, my favourite combat system in the franchise. The amount of tactical variations which were viable is really impressive. 10 is a close second, and I like that your party is always with you and that you can swap them at will. Balance is wonky as hell, but the main drag down is how often the characters are just unenjoyable, especially Tidus compared to Yuna.

Tier "You tried something new and it kind of worked!": 1, 8, 12

They worked to varying degrees for different people. Really like disk 1 of 8 enough for me to keep going even as the plot goes off the rail. Best minigame to date, but drat, after Esthar everything goes mental. Also incredibly easy to break by accident. 12 I've only seen a playthrough of, but it seems good but has had some hacking done to it to make the main character be the main character. It's still worth playing, it's on my list for the ps4. 1 holds up alright, but it's a product of its time.

Tier "I kind of wish you hadn't tried that.": 13, 2

I didn't finish 13. Combat was fine, but I didn't care about the characters of stories. Reached where it becomes "non-linear", still didn't care, quit. 2 is a crazy game with so many bugs it makes it difficult to even judge it. Fun that they tried hard to make a story with betrayals and deaths but severely hampered by the combat system and other limits (guards don't attack you unless you talk to them, then they butcher you).

Tier "I haven't played or watched a let's play of that": 3

I'll get around to it someday.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

Quite a few people got into FF7 after other FF games were released and it still has the highest name recognition/popularity value among all age groups any time it is checked. It's hard to say how much of that is sheer name recognition value due to Cloud's constant cameo-ing but FF7 continues to do well with all age groups every time it is re-released or is polled.

7 is a really good game but that doesn't mean anyone has to like it. Sin City is a pretty good movie but I get bored pretty early.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mega64 posted:

Difficulty curve is probably the biggest one, in that FF4 actually has one. I think 4 very slightly executes its story better, but it's very close. I think overall 4 juggles its various characters' story arcs better than 6, namely due to its linear story and set party giving characters time to develop without having said development be optional and isolated like in the WoR for 6. I'd say 4 is the best in the series when it comes to incorporating gameplay into the story (battle cutscenes, starting levels for the characters, Cecil being useless at Mt. Ordeals due to his reliance on the dark blade, I could go on), though I think 6 would be second here.

Don't get me wrong, though, I still love 6 and I do think 6 has better gameplay overall due to its sheer flexibility and variety of options, even if it's probably the easiest game in the series. I also like Kefka more than Golbez and appreciate the darker subject matter 6 tackled. I think it ends up that I appreciate the execution of 4 more than I appreciate the variety and content of 6.

And again, I do love all the games besides 13 and maybe 1 and 8, and even the latter two I'd play again. Hell, after I LPed it I ended up legit liking 2 despite its deep flaws.

I'd say 7 incorporates story and gameplay best of the series. Almost ever awesome thing the party does is done by the player via a minigame and, more importantly, the fact that you're in control all the time makes the Kalm flashback that much more believable and the reveal later on that much more shocking. If control were occasionally taken away from you it wouldn't work as well. It also makes Yuffie stealing your materia really annoying - although if you have enough she can't actually steal it all, which is neat!

I wouldn't mind more set pieces like the goblin cave, though. That's right. I said it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

mandatory lesbian posted:

i see you've never interacted with real life conservatives before

In reality this is how most people deal with global warming though. It sucks but i gotta drive my car to work and meat is tasty so I'll still eat that. It sucks but I gotta live now, let someone else deal with it is a pretty accurate portrayal of most people.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

some guy on the bus posted:

That's surprising. I don't even like FF9 much and I thought the first two hours were the best most charming part of the game and one of the greatest RPG intros.

Move to FFX.

Wrong - move to 7. There's no way she can dislike the intro to that.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mordiceius posted:

We're going to wait until the remake to play 7. That game is a goddamn eyesore for anyone coming to it fresh.

We just got out of the evil forest. She's more interested after the petrification scene and what not. I think she was just shocked by the tonal shift between 8 and 9. She got past the initial shot by just thinking of 9 as a storybook game.

She saw the opening to 10 and was super excited to play that one because that game really does have a helluva opening cinematic. However, she wanted to try 9 first so we continue to improve in graphics than going to 10 and then 9.

The character sprites are a pain but the art direction for that game is goddamn great. My girlfriend loved it, and she started with 8 years before she got around to 7.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Say what you want but FF7 backgrounds are amazing and still easily hold up today.

That was my phone background for a while.

I think I'll go buy it for PS4.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Those are the combat models, though. The combat models look fine. It's the world map models that have the Popeye elbows; no amount of upscaling will give these poor people elbows.

Yeah, impossible! Unless you use mods to use the higher definition models. Are mods cheating?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I maintain that the backgrounds and overall art design have aged really well - the sprites, not so much.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't disagree with that for any of the games.

I will say I think FF7 and 9 have overall stronger art design than FF8 but that is just a matter of preference I think, and in FF7's case heavily skewed by Midgar's loving awesome art design rather than being universal.

The town designs for every part of 7 were pretty :krad: but that is true of a lot of the towns in 7-9. But the music in 7 complemented the design better than most of the towns in 8 or 9. In a lot of ways, the sound and art design seemed most unified in that game. That might just be personal taste, though.

Cosmo canyon and it's theme will always be great, though. It makes me sad that almost all the remastered versions don't have the electric guitar bit. It's an important part of the theme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T3srk8Dkuo

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Phantasium posted:

Most of them get to scream, too!

But can they hear the cries of the planet?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Cleretic posted:

Thanks for that, I had to look that up and am extremely happy I did.

When I was playing FFVII for the first time earlier this year, I at some point early on got the idea that it reads perfectly and hilariously as a really bad tabletop campaign where almost every player is in some way terrible. My take on Cait Sith was 'the DM's little brother who's taking the fact he has a captive audience and having too much fun with it', and credit to that guy, that interpretation holds 100% if you're replacing him with Iscar Matthias.

Death of the Author is a powerful tool my friend you shouldn't abuse it so.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hey did anyone figure out what Elentor was referring to about the image?

Elentor posted:

Alright guys, it is time. We had a good run. See you next time!

By the way, I added an Easter Egg to the final image in the Epilogue. Can you find it? :v:

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 12, 2016

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Kanfy posted:

IIRC there was a dragon thing hiding under the bridge, although it seems like he switched it on top of it sometime after. It's not in the wallpaper versions.

That nerd.

Thanks, it's great.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mega64 posted:

Someone should make one that replaces the FF13 character models with the FF7 crew, blocky ugly lego bodies and all.

So long as Lightning is cross dressed Cloud, that's fine.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

7 has one of the more sensible cast age-wise. Most people are 20+, other than Yuffie who's a teenage goon and Red kind of, for his species. Then you've got Barret and Cid who have lived through some bad juju and seen their dreams die.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Wendell posted:

Speaking of ages, when I played Mystic Quest as a child I thought Tristam was an old grey haired woman. I still like that idea more, this old lady who is a better adventurer than you and keeps stealing all the coolest treasure.

This is good and now what I believe.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Calaveron posted:

Squall's probably the most normal guy since his dad's a human and his mom's a human and the only reason his sister is a witch is because a previous witch decided to have her inherit her powers and would otherwise be a regular human too

EDIT: Looking at some of the new FFXIV stuff, that lady in red is totally Yda and totally a Dancer right?

Actually Ellone isn't a witch in the same way the others are witches and her powers appear to be completely independent of normal witches in that world. Where she got her powers is unclear. His girlfriend inherited the witch powers eventually.
:goonsay:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely think Amarant should have been a much longer-term villain. He should have been chasing you since nearly the start as a mercenary or something.

If he were a character like Magus from CT that would be a lot more exciting.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Eh-lone, because she sends you through time and you can only go through time if you have emotional connections, i.e. aren't alone

No you are not alone is from ff9, you are confused.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Celeste is a real French name

I always figured Celes > Celestial and Terra > Earth, and Celeste literally means Celestial so not sure why they didn't use that

I had assumed this as well until I realized Terra's original name was Tina.

TBH I'm much angrier about her hair actually being blonde.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still dispute Square-Enix saying Sephiroth is in control of Jenova, given that the events in Nibelheim make way more sense if Jenova was controlling him. He only flips out and goes crazy once he came in close proximity to Jenova and he had her cells in him, influencing him and possibly even to reunite with the main Jenova body. Hence the "mother" talk. Then he spends the next few years in the Northern Crater with the crazy mind control alien's head for company.

I'm saying it is possible to read Sephiroth as blameless in FFVII, before spinoffs and the Compilation retconned it to be much more boring.

I think it's more interesting that this goon from Gaia was a bad enough dude to mentally overwhelm a space monster and take control of their Cronenberged form towards his own ends - becoming a God rather than just eating more planets, just based on the original game.

The extended universe did make him worse though, :agreed:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The problem with this reading is that Sephiroth never had megalomaniacal inclinations during the time we see of him before he encountered Jenova. Even though he was Shinra's best SOLDIER he didn't seem to be in it for glory or fame.

Even taking spinoffs into account, he's a super chill dude who genuinely cares for Genesis, Angeal and eventually Zack in Crisis Core. At least pre-Nibelheim.

Eh, he always felt different and above ordinary people. I do agree Jenova had influence, during Nibilheim especially, but I do think Sephiroth eventually came out on top. That's why the final boss fight involves the Sephiroth with no legs - the "real" one.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

FFVII is a story where the hero (Zack) and heroine (Aeris) died and it's up to the sidekick, who is a crazy guy deluding himself and others about his past and a ragtag bunch of misfits with plenty of metal health issues themselves to save the world.

VII really is great.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

The thing with Sephiroth is that he is Shinra taken to their most extreme. He plans to crack open the planet and eat all the mako at once whereas Shinra merely wants to devour it slowly. He's the end result of their experiments, one of their most elite soldiers, and in general is just Shinra's excesses kicked up to 11. Even when the Weapons break free they start going after Shinra more than anyone else.

It is basically the only way a 'redemption' for Shinra makes sense in that they get to see the end result of their game plan and realized they hosed up, but wtihin the confines of the game the planet just kills most of them instead.

To be fair to the game, that's because the only real problem most non-Reeve Shinra employees saw with Sephiroth's upcoming apotheosis was that it was his and not theirs. Rufus couldn't care less about the planet or people who'd be harmed by it, other than himself.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Omen was good and I'm back to being real excited about this game.

Gologle posted:

lmao did you seriously use Cronenberg as a verb you loser

Yeah imagine watching a popular nerd show and being on SA at the same time, I wonder what that venn diagram would look like.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

bloodychill posted:

I think this is an extremely lovely way to look at it because it implies that a rag tag bunch of people with mental problems can't be the heroes. Which they are.

Zack is not the "real hero." He's a hero who died. Cloud fakes it til he makes only he doesn't know he's faking it and making it means having a mental breakdown and incorporating all aspects of himself.

When people say this they really mean traditional. Zack is the gung-ho, Snow, "Heroes never die!" type and Aeris is the last descendant of an ancient mystical species. That's the tradition, but 7 avoids it by killing the two of them off. That's not to say the others aren't real heroes, just not traditional.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I wish Seraphie was the sidekick.

Reynn is just generally great.

This is a good game and I'm glad I got it!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

What the gently caress was that introduction to Shelke?

I know there's a thread for WoFF now but everyone must know.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Varance posted:

Shelke's Countertek doesn't work unless target is actually using the thing that needs to be countered. In the case of Lann and Reynn's limiters, Shelke had to attack them to get them to fully engage the limiters preventing them from using their keeper abilities, at which point she could destroy the limiters while they were active.

That's a good explanation for that but the way they were describing her as the bestestestestestestestestest was cringeworthy. Was someone working on the game also on DoC or something? Is she a well loved character??

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Getting the Iron Giant was a tedious grind but was oddly more satisfying to succeed at than I expected. The game is pretty fair about these murky mirages, I was able to take him down with effective curing and stack command usage.

I guess I'll take it to the WoFF thread.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

bloodychill posted:

There's definite truth to this. I just watched this a couple days ago where the guy doing the video makes the point even though Dark Souls is a great series of games, Bloodborne is the best first entry because it teaches you how to play the series the "right way" (read: the most fun way) while the other games do not.

That said, no matter how much developers work at teaching their players how to play the game, even explicitly just saying "do this, stop doing that," there are some people who just won't get it. "Oh you died on that boss and there was nothing you could do? What about all those unused megalixers in your god damned inventory?"

Assume that I don't want to watch something for an hour and a half right now (though it's something to favourite for work), what's his general point? Something about the werewolf at the start and Gasgoigne?

Oh and since I'm first post on a new page, uh, yeah, I got a couple of hours into XIII and quit like a quitter. I watched a let's play of XIII-2 that made it seem like a pretty fun game with some pretty bad writing.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Artix posted:

The short version is that Demons and Dark Souls start by A) Killing you (so you learn that you're going to die a lot) and B) the first thing you get in Dark Souls is a shield. Not a weapon, not a catalyst, a shield. The game is basically telling you to play it very safe and slowly, which is the absolutely worst and least fun way to play them. Bloodborne gets around this by not giving you a shield at all, and makes you play it in such a way that your only options for survival are learning to dodge and parry, which makes all the Souls games much more interesting to play.

Hm I mean Bloodborne also starts by killing you (unless you're very patient with the werewolf). To be honest I think the bigger difference in teaching is the first (more or less) boss being basically you for 2/3rds of the fight, which shows you all the cool things you can do and effective ways to play - and then turning into Manus from the DLC for the last 3rd except you can still parry him. The first boss in DS teaches you about dying and you really should dodge him a bunch but him being a giant monster straight off the bat and not really using the mechanics of the game makes him a much worse teacher. Maybe if he just didn't give a crap about your shield you'd have to learn more about dodging.

That said, I was a big fan of my shield in my SL1 play, even when I wasn't parrying.

Anyway, to get back to the topic of game design - yes, I can see how this argument works. One thing BB doesn't do is put an actual time limit on you, outside of running out of healing items. I guess the fact that XIII has basically resourceless healing (is that right?) means that they needed a different restriction for the guidance to be meaningful.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mordiceius posted:

Except Amarant. gently caress Amarant.

Rat-girl isn't particularly great, tbh. I can't even remember her na- oh it's Freya, Freya isn't that great. She's fine while she has a plot but drat does that just disappear.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I played the second Golden Sun game first and it's pretty solid. I remember going back to the first one and finding it to be significantly worse in basically every way. I wouldn't call it bad outside of some pacing issues that I remember mostly being at the start, but it's pretty steeped in the clichés of the genre and doesn't go to any great efforts to hide that.

Basically anyone who wants to play Golden Sun shouldn't, and should play Golden Sun: The Lost Age instead.

FF3 punishing you for switching classes is basically the worst thing. God I love 5.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

I always felt bad for the Avalanche members. They get pretty unceremoniously murdered by the Turks and barely anyone remembers it and the Turks end up as wacky semi-antagonists while Biggs, Wedge and Jesse rot in the remains of the entire town Reno murdered. Sephiroth/Jenova kills ONE Aerith and nobody ever forgets it.

Advent Children is full of bullshit decisions.

Also I'm gonna say it: I preferred it when Tseng died, even if it was an incorrect translation.

Rufus, too, even though that was nothing to do with translations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bodie grows up, man, Bodies grows old. He reached the point of Cuddie; "Whatever's in you that lets you flow how you flow, it ain't in me no more", but he had no way out of the game. Young Bodie saw killing Wallace as part of what he had to do to get ahead, later Bodie had grown to hate what that world was.

Now you made me sad.

NikkolasKing posted:

They were always kinda...lacking in the evil department shall we say. These are the guys you can find talking about what girls they like and then there's Elena who is pure comic relief.

Plus you can even choose not to fight them at the end. Bringing it back to Avalanche, I think that works well for Barret's character development. He learned over the course of the game that his righteous fury for Shinra was something far more selfish and wrong. Choosing not to fight the Turks can be seen as an expression of his growth, as well as the Turks' themselves being semi-decent people.

Only if you do the Wutai quest!

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think there's much point in speculating why they gave Sector 7 the works.

That's nobody's business but the Turks.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

zedprime posted:

I would like to have a beer with Vegeta and the Turks. I would not like to have a beer with anybody from The Wire or Breaking Bad.

This is a pretty bad opinion to have there my man. Not drinking with McNulty or Lester or Stringer? Son, that's just wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Drinking with Stringer, I don't know if I'd be able to shake the concern that it'd be my final drink.

McNulty, same concern for a very different reason!

Those are the risks you gotta take to have a real good time.