Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The diablo gold avatar: nobody really knows, just that for about 2-3 pages everyone was bombed with it. The going theory is that one of the people who made a killing selling d3 gold (more than one person has broken $1000) is responsible, but nobody has fessed up.

Smelly posted:

The Diablo 3 one is because of the Real Money Auction House. Where you can trade in game items for a maximum of $250 per item. You can then have that go to paypal or go towards a credit on your battle.net account.

The avatars predate the RMAH :eng101: Sales were done via craigslist/d2jsp etc

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

What is a :doink:? Also, who is that guy on the "Don't Go There" icon that appears when a thread is closed?

That's the sound Law and Order makes between scenes... supposedly, that's not what I hear v:v:v I remember there was a commercial where the actors talked about it briefly and one said that. I think it was Munch.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Farbtoner posted:

They finally categorized most of the smilies :w00t:

Is it just me or did a lot of them gain mouseover text too?

E: On the smilies page

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Jul 4, 2012

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Glitterbomber posted:

Riot is a company that makes the video game League of Legends, which has a big Games community. That thing is one of the generic minions from the game, I assume it's for when Riot makes a dumb change/thing the thread doesn't like.

I don't follow LoL anymore but I know for drat sure that emote came along for a good reason. Read some of the character lore sometime, it is embarrassingly bad/amateur (like Annie as a good example) or the original design of Lux before the community revolted.

E: How many belts is too many belts for one person to wear? Go on, pick a number, then check out Brand to see how well you did. :riot:

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Jul 21, 2012

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chard posted:

I saw someone post this (and nothing but) in another thread but it wasn't explained and google gives me nothing:

------>8---------------------

What does it mean...?

Those are scissors, to cut off everything below that line.
E: Burr, that'll teach me to check if the thread is longer than the current page :doh:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kalos posted:

Yeah, the Dwarf Fortress mood and behavior AI is both incredibly complex and incredibly stupid at the same time. One of the older jokes about the game is that a dwarf is a creature that balances out to happy because on one hand, he just watched his wife get eaten by elephants, but on the other hand he just ate in a really nice dining room. Also, many a fort has fallen due to a Dwarf opening the front gates to go loot a pair of shoes off a dead soldier, or when one dwarf's tantrum breaks some other dwarf's stuff who then throws a tantrum...

I always liked "Hey, that guy's on fire... oh, he's dead. Sweet, free shirt OH I'M ON FIRE I don't need these pants (that are also on fire) so I'll store them in the stocks AHHHH FIRE"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Whenever anyone mentions a katana in any capacity, the very next poster will talk about "what you don't know about your thousand-times-folded hanzo steel is..." Since the lines are always the same (or follow the same basic structure), I figure there has to be an origin story. Anyone happen to have a lead on this?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also, :goleft: came from the ol' Microwave forum games wherein he would illustrate a scene and say "What do I do now?" and generally people would say "Go left" even if there was something interesting to do here, so he would do so and reply with a :I

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I found it worth reading but not worth following. The writing is stilted to rely on a smooth flow, and it all but tries its damnedest to make sure that individual pages have no arc or weight to them, only sequences and chapters have weight. Every new page I waited for was a letdown, but full chapters were satisfying. I've probably built up a good backlog by now, hmm.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
He's getting a hen, obviously

:henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Who were Kyoon and Arzy?

Also, what's this cute smilie of? :todd:

Shmorky had his art stolen/recolored/etc by some jerk named Todd, that was one of the arts