Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Well you see :30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux: and then it won't happen again for a week or so, if you're lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

haveblue posted:

"drat Guy" is pro wrestler Ron Simmons.

And a loving awesome drat guy he is too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwXl6r5Eu58

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why did Lowtax name this website Something Awful? Is there any meaning to the name other than the most obvious?

From Lowtax's AMA Running an Internet website and forum!:

Silva posted:

Where did the name "Something Awful" come from? Is there any history as to how you named your website?

formr CAT STEVENS posted:

i think it was from back when lowtax was working at planet quake and they would play this game with dinosaurs and the t-rex made this horrible screeching noise and somebody said that game sure is "something awful". something like that.

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, it was Pharcyde who played some dinosaur game in the office with Radium and I.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the SA grenade logo is placeholder art that never got changed according to ancient lore.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ishamael posted:

Yeah I still don't know what I am supposed to be seeing there. I know it's a duck or something, but I can't see it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The SAclopedia entry for :eng101: has links to the waffleimages but they're also broken

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1777

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

prefect posted:

YOSPOS has a thing about boats? :confused:

'YOSPOS' stands for "Yachts or Schooners, Port or Starboard?" :ssh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Smythe posted:

I would just like to chime in here with a small note pertaining to the boat smiley: im the IK of YOSPOS and ive never seen it, nor heard of it. The Bitcoin thread is a vile island, infested with a virulent strain of leprosy.

Posters quite often stumble over terrible news for the first time while browsing through random PYF threads (most often celebrity deaths) so you have my commiserations

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's the SomethingAwful secret. Each and every one of us is the worst poster on the forums.

We're all just cogs in a giant shitposting machine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BBJoey posted:

there was also a terrorist attack on 9/11. this is also part of the joke.

Oh yeah, I forgot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Me too.

Edit: I forgot that I already forgot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So what's a Greenwater?

A bleached Whitewater

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also, what's this cute smilie of? :todd:

Jon "@fart" Hendren will explain all:
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/todd-goliath-goldman/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lamprey Cannon posted:

So did the goonboot designs ever actually go into production? I can't seem to track down the end of the story.

Goons had all the top 10 spots at one point but half of them were disqualified for using copyrighted material without permission. In the end goon Detroit_Dogg's design 'Snowboot' came third in the people's choice vote:

... but because the first two winning designs were DQed for copyright violation it was eventually deemed the People's Choice winner and according to the thread it was definitely manufactured and sold

And after some googling I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BNIB-SUPER-...=p2056016.l4276

Edit: I updated the SAclopedia listing

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Mar 3, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

The Parable of the Sheepherder's Fence Post

Three teenage boys named Aeser, User, and Osser were walking out in the fields. User was excited to hang out with the two older boys, though he was nervous because he knew the two were notorious for causing trouble. His heart started to beat a little faster when they turned to trespass into a farmer's land. As they passed through a field of spelt, Aeser noticed that the farmer had left his tractor out. He whispered to Osser, and as they arrived at the vehicle, the two jumped into the cart currently hitched to it.

"The key is in the ignition!" Aeser told User, "Now give us a ride!"

Though he was filled with guilt, he gave in to the pressure and started the tractor up. Their act did not go unnoticed for long, for soon the farmer was yelling and chasing after the trio as they fled through the fields. In the commotion and panic, User did not look where he was going and crashed the tractor right into a fence post of a sheepherder’s pen, breaking it in half and ending their little caper.

At the next meeting of the village council, the fate of the three was decided. The farmer was not particularly upset about the joy ride and asked for no retribution, so the sheepherder's fence post became the crux of the matter. Aeser and Osser already had prior records of trouble-making, so they were required to work for the sheepherder in order to pay for this damaged fence post.

Though he was driving the tractor and caused the damage, the third boy had no history of misbehavior. The village council decided to go easy on him and

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

It was a genuine probation as well:

quote:

PROBATION 01/26/12 03:02pm Melaneus BETTER NATE THAN LEVER. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours. Eggplant Wizard Eggplant Wizard

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 07:09 on May 20, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hackbunny posted:

lol did he actually report his own post to give it a punchline?

Yeah he later made a post thanking the mod

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Android Bicyclist posted:

Speaking of mods, I noticed some of them have different signifier symbols in the upper left.

When did this come about, and what do the other mods have?

I have a pill because I'm a party guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Android Bicyclist posted:

I thought you have that because you're one of those red pill MRA's.

Or a member of The Capsules biker gang.

I'm most definitely not either of those things

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cocobut

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
She's not even a he. In some places that'd make her doubly not a person.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Choco1980 posted:

Because PATRIOTISM!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AdorableStar posted:

Is loosechanj the one who posted comments on dating sides or something I dont remember

It was the goon 'hot or not' site, whatever that was called. A google image search for loosechanj.jpg brings up this as the first result:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was that one kid that was super disappointed they weren't going to the broccoli farm. Why wasn't he a meme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7yMZGA2lzg

In the end he did get to visit a broccoli farm and was STOKED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswdDZgcwHA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I mean, it's not like anyone's getting confused; the two connotations are... pretty discernible extremes :v:

There's probably some crossover, Nazi-chic is pretty fashionable in some parts of Asia.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bhodi posted:

I want to say it started in PYF?

Yep, back in the era when we had a "No posts without an image" rule for the PYF Funny Photo thread because people kept bitching so much about all the derails.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pierzak posted:

Explain?

It means "general indistinct muttering from a crowd"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rhubarb_rhubarb

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I stopped posting for a while and recently started reading the forums again, and somewhere in between oldpainless became a meme. Sorry, I mean "more like oldmemeless"

how/when/why

More like Son of Wonderbeast

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks! I've always wondered why the soccer threads are immune to the rules against racism, but I will probably never understand.

Soccer is a purely ironic 'sport', as is the fandom.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Is that a reference to this Goonmade video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1VIvldVJc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LordSaturn posted:

One of the people who bought the smiley said his wife had complained to him that he was wasting money on that "stupid internet club" again, leading to the gang tag.

.... and how might one go about getting one such gang tag?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Subjunctive posted:

Why does the system need downtime? A few seconds is a lot of computer time!

Because Radium, most likely

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cock hero flux posted:

at some point some kind of little protomarsupial tried to go eat some delicious fruit and was bullied and, filled with the greatest possible case of sour grapes, decided it was going to instead only eat the poison-filled leaves of a tree that explodes sometimes

millions of years later their distant offspring now comfortably fills the ecological niche of being total fuckheads

Also they love fighting in the middle of traffic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTKW8NKAt4

.... which really annoys Sharon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUIcROdc3VI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the Chinese cover version of the Cranberries song from the video in case anyone was every curious about listening to the rest of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QnVVZZyzaI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh you haven't lived until you've had Excel spreadsheet dreams :gonk:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just when I thought that those ASMR videos couldn't get any weirder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pentaro posted:

I'm sure it didn't originate there, but that chef was part of the clipart library in MS Office in the late 90's/early 2000's. Maybe he's still there!

Chefs have been assuring people by leering manically and making the okay gesture for decades

It took them a while to perfect it, back before that gesture became the standard "Eyyyy, atsa perfecto!" gesture they were throwing up all sorts of random gang signs over food:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowy posted:

loving racists

Do not meddle in the affairs of clichéd pizza box chefs, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

D. Ebdrup posted:

And I guarentee you that's only the absolute top of the iceberg, it goes deep.

Radium is Mark Zuckerberg's dad.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Feb 24, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syscall girl posted:

there is a ridiculous history of stealing goon made images and putting watermarks on them

** Veteran of the Ebaums World wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vavrek posted:

The Something Awful Propaganda thread is amazing, but I'm not widely steeped in Goon Lore, so some of the references go past me.

What's the story being referenced here?

This ancient photoshop: