Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
I feel like an irresponsible pet owner posting this a bit, but when we first got our second dog, we decided to take her to the dog park like we did our other dog. I knew this dog because she was a frequent boarder at the clinic I work for. She never seemed to care about the other dogs, never barked or showed any signs of aggression at all. I adopted her when the owners felt they couldn't really give her the time/attention she needed. She was always one of my favorite boarders. Brought her home, and her and my dog got along fine. She was good with the cats too. We deciding on an outing to the park. There was only one other dog in the area and as soon as we let her off the leash she went after that dog. I totally didn't see it coming. It was a German Shepherd that was bigger than her, and no one was hurt, but I was mortified. MORTIFIED. But we keep her on leash now and never go to dog parks. We've worked on her reactivity a bit, but she still reacts to some dogs, and I know I can't ever trust her off leash. I at least feel like that redeems me a bit. We have since discovered that she is a bit food aggressive so we have to feed and give treats separate. I think she's better about this now, but I prefer to be safe. I don't really understand someone whose dog attacks another dog and still allows them to be off leash around dogs that way. I guess I'd assume that most people would have my mortified reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

My ultimate unrealistic dream dog? A Belgian Sheepdog. :swoon:

But if I want to be realistic, I hope to one day just get a plain ol' German Shepherd. Maybe even a Border Collie or Aussie mix of some sort, like my foster puppy from last Summer. I don't see myself ever going the breeder route, just 'cause I'm not looking for anything super special and there are already so many GSDs in rescue, so I'd be perfectly happy with that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fraction posted:

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

Boxers, Rottie mixes, and a medium spaniel or two are all on my list. The spaniels will likely come first.

I'm going to limit myself to only two dogs at a time, but we'll see how well that works out.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I thought it was otherkin who did the majority of dog-loving?

That was my understanding too. Sure the furries that dress up are strange as hell but at least they have a grasp of the split between imagination/fantasy and real life. I place them in the same category as people who dress up for a Star Trek convention or something. Otherkin though...

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 24, 2012

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.
Three or four personal dogs sounds like a good number. Since I plan to rescue/foster Pit Bulls, there will always be more dogs in the house and I can't really go overboard with permanent residents. :shobon:

Fraction posted:

APBT's and MAYBE a molosser like a Rottweiler or Argentine Dogo or something. It'd be nice to have a protection dog, since (good) Pits are useless for that.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 24, 2012

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The more I think about it the more I'm mad at this girl. She:
1) Had a breed of dog known for DA instincts so she shouldn't have been at a park in the first place
2) Took forever to get her dog off mine
3) Didn't ask if my dog was ok
4) Didn't take her dog out of the park after it attacked mine
5) When I told her she shouldn't have her dog there, she shrugged it off like it had never happened before so it wouldn't happen again

Basically she did everything wrong. I mean even if she didn't know that no one should bring pitbulls to dog parks because of their DA instincts, she STILL should have been more concerned once it happened. There's naivety and then there's dumbassery.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
re: furry chat

Yeah I'm pretty sure most furries aren't actually interested in loving animals, they just want to frolic around and pretend to be one. Kinda like some people have a rape fetish but don't actually want to be raped... maybe? That was probably a terrible comparison. I have no idea, and I know even less about otherkin. It's usually more your backwoods redneck freaks you gotta watch out for, I think. Still would not adopt dog to the fursuit lady.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Azrael Alexander posted:

Three or four personal dog sounds like a good number. Since I plan to rescue/foster Pit Bulls, there will always be more dogs in the house and I can't really go overboard with permanent residents. :shobon:

APBT's and MAYBE a molosser like a Rottweiler or Argentine Dogo or something. It'd be nice to have a protection dog, since (good) Pits are useless for that.

I watched a thing on netflix, the science of dogs or something. Apparently Argentine Dogo make better pitbulls then pitbulls. Want one of them. :tipshat:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I tried to watch Science of Dogs the other day but it was on some pay per view channel. :mad: To those who have seen it, is it any good? I thought I'd heard some people here enjoyed it.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I want all the cardigan corgis, obviously.

Our landlords have a ginger merle (no idea of the correct terminology there) border collie and he's the sweetest and a great size to just lean against your legs and stare at you lovingly and now I want a bigger dog too. They work him all day at their plant nursery business and he's pretty calm now at 3 but they say he was a terror of a puppy, so I'm not sure if I REALLY want a BC but in my PI-dog-herd dreams I do.

I also want a Vallhund and an Icelandic sheepdog, because VIKINGS :black101: and maybe a Tibetan Mastiff.

But really if I get another dog it will likely be some kind of shelter herding mix or another cardigan.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Skizzles posted:

I tried to watch Science of Dogs the other day but it was on some pay per view channel. :mad: To those who have seen it, is it any good? I thought I'd heard some people here enjoyed it.

It's pretty interesting, I watched it last night. It's on netflix if you have it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

wtftastic posted:

They're all the same, creepy dog molesting gently caress ups.

I don't know, there's a girl I went to elementary school with and still occasionally talk to who turned out to be a furry, and while she loves her animals and feels a "spiritual bond" with them, I'm fairly certain she's not loving them. She and her boyfriend are relatively normal in every regard except their desire to dress up like giant anthropomorphic wolves or foxes or whatever. And they're adamantly anti-"yiff" as well.

So, I wouldn't necessarily advocate for adopting to this person, but it's not a given that she wants the dog as a potential sex partner or whatever. Furries totally skeeve me, but I think it's going a bit far to paint them all as dog-diddlers.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Doggy dream team? #1 would definitely be a working Clumber spaniel. The rest, in no particular order: papillon, Rottweiler, Weimaraner, borzoi (okay borzois are just on the list because they look so cool).

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

I plan on having 2 dogs in the future but not while Major is alive. He is definitely an only dog. Post-Major, it will either be a permanent dog and a rotating foster or two permanent dogs. Futuredog will probably be either a Field spaniel or a working line Springer or English Cocker spaniel. I live near a lot of great hunting areas and would love to go out with my friend and her pointers. I also want to dabble in some sports like rally and having a sporty little dog that's willing to try stuff would be awesome.

Having a sheep farm I feel obligated to have a herding dog so at some point I'll probably end up with a Aussie or maybe a BC but I really want a break from nutty herders and my sheep are so chill I don't need help moving them very often at all. A cardi is probably in the far distant future too because I grew up with corgis and love the breed but I'm not sure if many could handle working my sheep on my pasture setup. The grass gets super tall and my parent's pem can barely get through it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I don't think she'd really have sex with the dog. She has mutt right now who is purportedly her entire life. I'm just worried that the fur suit thing is an indication of her current emotional issues. I have had some red flags, including the statement 'A new dog may be what she needs to come out of this' that make me concerned that this girl isn't in the right head space to deal with a puppy.

Of course now there's talk of potentially keeping him. This may change over the course of the next few weeks when his prim breed traits bubble to the surface :suicide:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

re: furry

My roommate is one, and I wouldn't trust her with a dog. Not because she'd rape it, but because she can barely take care of herself. Furries are notoriously irresponsible pet owners, often getting animals because they "look cool" and then doing the whole "BUT I HAVE TO EXERCISE IT??" routine. Which she did with the last dog we had (Australian Shepherd mix). We had to find it a home because we were moving to a small apartment, but she flipped the hell out and demanded to keep it and threw a huge hissy fit even though she wasn't taking care of it at all. :psyduck:
Also, apparently despite a ton of furries being vehemently anti-zoophilia, they'll still put uh, "proper canine anatomy" on their characters, or upside balls on 'roo characters, stuff like that. That fandom contradicts itself a ton.

Anyways, re: ideal pack size and breeds
If I could have any dog breed, it would be a Newfoundland, and I would have two. :3: My doctor has two Newfoundlands named Casserole and Hashbrown, and they are awesome.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

Of course now there's talk of potentially keeping him. This may change over the course of the next few weeks when his prim breed traits bubble to the surface :suicide:

Doooo iiiitttt!!!! His "bad" traits won't come out until WELL after you decide you can't give him up. :haw:

Breed plans? I have my husky, and my GSD will be next. :3: Then after that, probably rescue mutts, always including a husky or husky mix, and CsVs down the line. I want to be able to get involved with tracking, trailing, and SAR with them and establish a breeding program. :3:

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Bear Rape posted:

If I could have any dog breed, it would be a Newfoundland, and I would have two. :3: My doctor has two Newfoundlands named Casserole and Hashbrown, and they are awesome.

omg most amazing names ever. what are their nicknames though? cass and hash? omg. :3:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Ideal breed and pack size - a greyhound, a miniature poodle and a sphinx named Jaybird. I've liked the greyhounds that I've met and my favorite cousin is a 14 year old miniature poodle.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

How many dogs? I have 2 GSDs now and its good, but I think adding a toy would be ok, they don't really count due to being so low-maintenance.

Future breeds? I'll start with what I think of as "real" dogs:
Akita!!!
Chesapeake Bay Retriever or Labrador Retriever - black or chocolate preferred
Rough and Smooth collies
Malinois
Cane Corso (in a working, guarding capacity)
Vallhund!
English Mastiff
GSDs 4 lyfe
Rottweiler
Doberman (what can I say, I like smart black & tan German dogs)
Leonberger or Tibetan Mastiff, I want a giant dog that looks like a bear that will keep me safe :3:
Great Dane
Standard Poodle
Greyhound or Saluki
Pit bull

And just for fun, some little dogs:
Pomeranian
Papillion
Shetland Sheepdog

We've discussed buying some land for a small-scale organic, free-range homestead-style farm. We haven't decided on what type of large livestock, so possibly sheep, cattle, or bison. Sheep would get a LGD, I don't care what type as long as it will keep sheep safe from coyotes and wolves. On our homestead we would also have various old rescue dogs that no one else wants.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

You know, I *WANT* a wolfhoud, but i'd never get one. I just wouldn't have the energy! As it is, I take Feldman out for a 4-5 minute potty walk every 1-2 hours when I'm home. Rest of the time he's tethered to the bed, and he usually just lays there.

And that's just with a boston terrier! A working breed dog would be nuts.

So I'll just have to fill my house with boston terriers. :colbert:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

I take Feldman out for a 4-5 minute potty walk every 1-2 hours when I'm home.

what

Does Feldman get to run around (on-leash I guess) or go hiking or do dog things? I know he eats anything around and it might make it hard to let him be a dog, but I think any dog needs more than 5 minutes of walking every 2 hours.

Edit: maybe I don't understand flatfaced Bostons, but I am seriously mindfucked that a dog only needs a 5 minute walk.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

TVs Ian posted:

Heh, enjoy your new puppy. He is very cute and will fit in well :3:

Bash Ironfist posted:

You know, I *WANT* a wolfhoud, but i'd never get one. I just wouldn't have the energy! As it is, I take Feldman out for a 4-5 minute potty walk every 1-2 hours when I'm home. Rest of the time he's tethered to the bed, and he usually just lays there.

And that's just with a boston terrier! A working breed dog would be nuts.

So I'll just have to fill my house with boston terriers. :colbert:

Never get a JRT! :v: We've been having to do a little less due to the sudden heatwave today, but even with that I've had Lola out for twenty minutes with her football, a nearly 2 hour bike, and half an hour of fetch in the evening. That's just about what it takes to keep her sane.

Your dog is a farting ornament and that's that. :colbert:

E: ^^^ Even my old lady dog gets more exercise than that, usually! Feldman must be crazily low maintenance.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

edit: ^^^ Now that we've changed his food, and he's not on any crazy medication, his farting has gotten MUCH better. :colbert:

adventure in the sandbox posted:

what

Does Feldman get to run around (on-leash I guess) or go hiking or do dog things? I know he eats anything around and it might make it hard to let him be a dog, but I think any dog needs more than 5 minutes of walking every 2 hours.

Well he has a nylabone and a rubber ball and a puppy kong. Also a Bad Cuz, so he has stuff to play with here, which he does.

The dogs in this neighborhood have giardia, and either the owners don't know, or don't give a poo poo. We did take him to the beach a couple of weeks ago.

Besides he's a Boston Terrier. They're bred to just be couch dogs.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I want all of the Shibas. :colbert:

Okay, not really. There are quite a few of them that would make me tear my hear out and punt to the curb, but I do want at least one well bred one, like from Katai or Hi-Jynx or Roscka. I also need an Akita and hubs agrees, so that might be our next dog after we get a house. :3: He wants a Pom and probably another Eskie at some point, but he honestly doesn't care as much as I do and loves Shibas and Akitas too, so... vOv

Dream dog besides all of the Shibas and Akitas? I want a Kai Ken, and one that I could take hunting. :swoon: I should probably learn how to hunt...

We both agree two dogs is a pretty good dynamic, but we wouldn't be adverse to three permanents and a rotating fourth foster slot.

In short, I'm pretty sure we're just going to have primitive breeds, since we can't stand needy breeds.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Plus_Infinity posted:

I also want a Vallhund because VIKINGS :black101:

Yes!!!!

I really don't think we'll ever have more than 2 dogs & honestly I'm content with just Cambria while we're doing this whole baby thing. I know that she's good with kids & doesn't require tons of exercise to be happy.

Dream Dogs (besides having a herd of scottish terriers):
-Swedish Vallhund
-Cairn Terrier
-Wirehaired Dachshund
-Skye Terrier
-Scottish Deerhound

Why yes, I do like my dogs long & low to the ground. :colbert:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

Besides he's a Boston Terrier. They're bred to just be couch dogs.

So I actually just don't understand Bostons :) When the weather is mild or cool, my dogs like a half-hour of hard running every 2-3 hours. Its getting hot now, so they get too hot to get tired which means they need more frequent, shorter sessions of fetch. We've taken them on 5 hour hikes, no big deal they are still running up the trail ahead at the end of the day.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So I actually just don't understand Bostons :) When the weather is mild or cool, my dogs like a half-hour of hard running every 2-3 hours. Its getting hot now, so they get too hot to get tired which means they need more frequent, shorter sessions of fetch. We've taken them on 5 hour hikes, no big deal they are still running up the trail ahead at the end of the day.

Well BT's were bred to be 'companion dogs' i.e. lazy potato dogs. So Feldman is fine with those short walks and like 30 minutes of playing/training a day. Well that and chewing on my hand until I smack him for biting too hard.

edit: I'm pretty sure Feldman's heart would explode in his chest if we tried to take him on a 5 hour hike.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well BT's were bred to be 'companion dogs' i.e. lazy potato dogs.

And I've never had a toy/companion breed. Akita x 2, BC/Lab/mutt thing, GSD x 2.

Here's Delta on a one hour winter hike:

And Sigma being way too cute:

They both lay like that, with their nose alongside their paw :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well BT's were bred to be 'companion dogs' i.e. lazy potato dogs.

I saw a lady with a Pomeranian on the canal today. They were ambling along at a nice little speed and must have been going for at least 40 minutes, in the midday heat. Not all companions are lazy!

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

And I've never had a toy/companion breed. Akita x 2, BC/Lab/mutt thing, GSD x 2.

Here's Delta on a one hour winter hike:

And Sigma being way too cute:

They both lay like that, with their nose alongside their paw :3:

Your dogs are frikkin' beautiful :3:

Fraction posted:

I saw a lady with a Pomeranian on the canal today. They were ambling along at a nice little speed and must have been going for at least 40 minutes, in the midday heat. Not all companions are lazy!

To be fair, Bostons are brachy breeds, and even on a cool day 40 mins of exercise would be too much for them at once. Poms are small, but not really a "couch dog" in the sense that Bostons are.

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 25, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I own my own two dream breeds, Pomeranian and Rough Collie. What :smug:

fine the collie belongs to my girlfriend whatever gently caress you

Other than that?
Another Pom
Another Collie
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Chihuahua mutt

ETA: also my pom is smaller than your useless flat faced farting machine, Bash, and he still gets walked 20-30minutes and goes for 1-4 hour outdoor hikes and excursions once a week, you are doing it wrong hth

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 25, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Now let's talk about breeds we would never in a million years own

For me, one dealbreaker is the long, double coat that you see with Spitz and such. Another is extreme brachycephaly. Also I have no interest in most of the A/KC terrier breeds. American Cocker Spaniels creep me out a little, as do Affenpinschers

Now you :colbert:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Azrael Alexander posted:

To be fair, Bostons are brachy breeds, and even on a cool day 40 mins of exercise would be too much for them at once. Poms are small, but not really a "couch dog" in the sense that Bostons are.

Oh yeah that's true. I was mostly thinking of bostons as companions and poms as companions, one super lazy and one not. I forgot about the flat faces :downs:

Edit for above:

I highly doubt I'd ever own any primitive breed. I love the look of a lot of them but I'm pretty sure I'd strangle one within a week.

I really dislike the box-headed terriers. There's a whole bunch of them and they're gross. I'd never own anything like a pug, frenchie, Boston, etc. I need dogs with faces.

No more scent hound/mixes either urgh

Fraction fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 25, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

notsoape posted:

For me, one dealbreaker is the long, double coat that you see with Spitz and such. Another is extreme brachycephaly. Also I have no interest in most of the A/KC terrier breeds. American Cocker Spaniels creep me out a little, as do Affenpinschers

Now you :colbert:

I will never own a beagle or a foxhound because BAROUU BARROOU BARROOUUUUU? :downs:

They're cute but oh god.

No boxers or brachy breeds either.

E: I probably wouldn't own a lot of terriers, but I'm a sucker for cairns. I doubt it'd be a good match though.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 25, 2012

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Azrael Alexander posted:

Your dogs are frikkin' beautiful :3:

Thank you! :)

notsoape posted:

I agree about the A/KC terriers. I mean I would in a million years have one, but meh.

I am not interested in scenthounds. I like for other people to have them so I can visit, but I don't need a hound. Or a spaniel. The long ears + silky coat + burrs = bad idea anywhere I would go hunting.

Edit: also boxers, naaah. I'd rather have a dobie!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

dogs I'd never own? JRTs, because they're too hyper. Also teacup ANYTHING, and probably no terriers. Terriers are temperamental as poo poo and most the times I've been bitten at work have been by terriers.

No chihuahua's either, the trembling little monsters. :colbert:

Edit: My aunt has a JRT/Chihuahua mix. It's as terrible as you'd think.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

notsoape posted:

Primitive breeds, terriers, scent hounds, most giant breeds, brachycephalic dogs and most dogs under 20 lbs until I'm old and want a toddle around the house dog. Really it's easier to list dogs I do want. There's a lot of dogs I find fascinating and gorgeous but I don't want to own one.

Edit:
In non-dog breeds I really want shetland sheep, tunis sheep and nubian goats but I doubt I'll get any. I would never ever want navajo-churro sheep, one of the table-y meat breeds, or one of the trophy bred hair sheep breeds.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 25, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

notsoape posted:

French bulldog, boxer, standard poodle (do not want to groom that at all), puli/komondor (same reason), dogs that require a definite job because time/physical fitness/mental stimulation, I would not be able to do so :saddowns:

e: Also yes, those two Newfies go by Cass and Hash :3:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I said earlier maybe 2 or 3 dogs, possibly one of which would be a middle aged corgi, but I always like my grandparents' rough coated collies and I miss my shipperke. Maybe Bailey, a rough coated collie, and a schipperke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

notsoape posted:

Until I got Bridget I didn't want a dog at all, so...I wouldn't own anything but Poms.

• Locked thread