Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Some pictures from yesterday's biking trip with Lola. I only tried to drown her once (not shown: drenched, sad dog).

We go biking along the canal that links Leeds and Liverpool. It's pretty cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

TVs Ian posted:

This is revenge for me being one of the first to predict you were keeping Ires, isn't it? :colbert:

And I am reposting this picture from the closed thread because it is my current favorite.

Nori is such an adorable little stoner puppy. He is the cutest, most chill looking lil dude :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

notsoape posted:

:3: What equipment do you use in terms of harnesses/bike attachments etc?

She just goes on a thick, padded harness and is off lead. She's still scared of being really close to the bike, but she keeps near naturally and the harness means I can pick her up if need be! On the way to and from the canal she sits in my bag like a good dog.

Levitate posted:

How come your dog always looks stoned

Duh, she always is stoned.

How come you aren't posting pictures of your dog huh :colbert:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

It's just about exactly what I've been wanting in my next pup, but at the wrong time. I'm getting married soon, my fiance isn't interested in adding another dog, and I'm too busy to concentrate on raising a pup correctly. But oh my god, I want one so badly.

get a puppy

Out of curiousity, will your fiance ever be interested in a third dog? Especially another crazy high maintenance dog?

Levitate posted:

ok

Looking a little derpy

Okay yes I love your dog. When can I have her.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

Yeah, that's the tough part. He's not interested, but I have a feeling that he may change his mind once we're a bit more settled and I convince him that the lion's share of the care will fall to me. Maybe. We'll have to see.

That sucks, I hope you manage to convince him. You totally need a pack of crazy, intense herding dogs (and Mega).

You're killing me here.

I've also realised I don't actually know much about your awesome dog. Tell me about her :allears:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Levitate posted:

Well, she apparently just decided to chase some geese in a marsh and ford a river

No I mean like why is she 'on vacation' or whatever? Do you co-own her?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Levitate posted:

Oh, my wife is visiting family on Cape Cod this week and took Greta with her. More playtime up there rather than sit at home all day waiting for me to get back from work

That's cool! Take and post more pictures of her when she gets back, tia

notsoape posted:

Out of interest, what size 'pack' are the PI dog people eventually aiming for? I'm keeping one spot open for another small lurcher in the next few years- hopefully a Mouse daughter, if she does well in the field - but three dogs (two being my very own, Dan is really a family dog) will be my limit for the foreseeable future.

I think I could comfortably own three dogs, either in my current situation or if I was living on my own. They'd probably be pretty small dogs though. Any more than that would just be too much for now (until I own a farm, one day).

On that note, what breeds are people interested in owning at some point in their lives?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Chessies, flatcoats, danes (so many danes), wolfhounds, mastiffs, brittanys, springers, CKCs, papillons, poms, deerhounds, saints, newfies, giant schnauzers, irish setters, RRs. I don't really know about corgis. They're a 'sort of' want. Kinda like goldens. Corgis I really don't wanna deal with the back problems and goldens I don't wanna deal with the cancer.

I might be open to pharaoh hounds, greyhounds, beezers, salukis, afghans or standard poodles but those would be far, far down the road. Kinda like mastiffs will be. :smith:

E: I have no idea how I forgot salukis.

That's a lot of dogs! What if you had to pick like, your top five?

notsoape posted:

I would like to always have a lurcher, though I'm only interested in bedlington, collie and whippet blends (with the occasional grey or deerhound thrown in for good measure). After Dan passes on I will probably acquire some kind of bratty rescue toy atrocity to replace him. Lifetime goals are, at some stage, own and train 1)a sheepdog, 2)a gundog and 3) afghan or saluki. Lurchers will be my focus for now, though.

I'd really love to get my hands on a whippet/something lurcher someday. I keep seeing lurchers everywhere in rescues and on for sale pages. I really like whippets. Maybe a whippet/collie. :allears:

My list of things I want is pretty much: border collie, lurcher, patterdale terrier, pyrenean shepherd and jack russell. All of the JRTs will be mine. There's more breeds that I certainly wouldn't turn down but those are my top five.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

TVs Ian posted:

Of course now there's talk of potentially keeping him. This may change over the course of the next few weeks when his prim breed traits bubble to the surface :suicide:

Heh, enjoy your new puppy. He is very cute and will fit in well :3:

Bash Ironfist posted:

You know, I *WANT* a wolfhoud, but i'd never get one. I just wouldn't have the energy! As it is, I take Feldman out for a 4-5 minute potty walk every 1-2 hours when I'm home. Rest of the time he's tethered to the bed, and he usually just lays there.

And that's just with a boston terrier! A working breed dog would be nuts.

So I'll just have to fill my house with boston terriers. :colbert:

Never get a JRT! :v: We've been having to do a little less due to the sudden heatwave today, but even with that I've had Lola out for twenty minutes with her football, a nearly 2 hour bike, and half an hour of fetch in the evening. That's just about what it takes to keep her sane.

Your dog is a farting ornament and that's that. :colbert:

E: ^^^ Even my old lady dog gets more exercise than that, usually! Feldman must be crazily low maintenance.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bash Ironfist posted:

Well BT's were bred to be 'companion dogs' i.e. lazy potato dogs.

I saw a lady with a Pomeranian on the canal today. They were ambling along at a nice little speed and must have been going for at least 40 minutes, in the midday heat. Not all companions are lazy!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Azrael Alexander posted:

To be fair, Bostons are brachy breeds, and even on a cool day 40 mins of exercise would be too much for them at once. Poms are small, but not really a "couch dog" in the sense that Bostons are.

Oh yeah that's true. I was mostly thinking of bostons as companions and poms as companions, one super lazy and one not. I forgot about the flat faces :downs:

Edit for above:

I highly doubt I'd ever own any primitive breed. I love the look of a lot of them but I'm pretty sure I'd strangle one within a week.

I really dislike the box-headed terriers. There's a whole bunch of them and they're gross. I'd never own anything like a pug, frenchie, Boston, etc. I need dogs with faces.

No more scent hound/mixes either urgh

Fraction fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 25, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

GoreJess posted:

What's with all the hate for terriers!?!? They're compact, strong little dogs with amazing personalities & the drive to attack rodents. Plus, the best terriers have scruffy old man beards & eyebrows.

QFT, scruffy terriers for life.

Not all of them are strong and driven though. Show terriers :negative:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Kiri koli posted:

So tomorrow I start attending a three day reactive dog clinic with Brenda Aloff. Should be interesting. Psyche is one of six working dogs, though we're only bringing her Monday since that's an "advanced trainer" day and we figured she wouldn't be able to handle all three days. Though since we made that decision, she's been improving steadily and she seems very unstressed considering I've been traveling for the last month and her whole routine has gone to hell.

Will report on the clinic if anyone is interested.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing about it!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/dog-claims-world-record-largest-eyes-185400244.html

Isn't that like, bad, that the dog's eye popped out of his head? Like, that's not just a boston terrier thing, right? That's some terrible breeding showing?

I'm pretty sure even boston-breeding :byodame: show ladies :byodame: would condemn a dog who's eye literally popped out. Jesus christ.

Also, I am not a squeamish person but the crap chat is making my stomach twist. Urgh, I could not have a giant dog. If a dog's craps are bigger than mine then something is not right.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Foxy posted:

Other deities/pantheons are underrepresented, underrated and too awesome. I love Scylla and Chary!

I am a total Greek Gods geek. Lola was so very nearly Lyssa, and if I get a female Patterdale in a couple years I'll probably call her Eris. I think it'd be fitting :v:

Seconding the love for Scylla and Chary (and Kiri's Psyche too).

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Foxy posted:

Greek pantheons are also way overrepresented because they're also very present in media, like the Norse. People also mix up Greek and Roman pantheons and give no fucks about it.

Example: Hercules = Roman name, Herakles = Actual Greek name

Yes I studied classical mythology in my undergrad once I burned out on animal behavior, what of it :colbert:

Oh I know :v: I've got a mytho-boner, I've spent a lot of time researching the pantheon. Eris is as popular/mainstream as I'd get - if I ever get into breeding smooth faced pyr sheps (when I own a farm omg) I'll be going with rustic god and nymph names. If I have future terriers I'll probably name them after khthonic gods :allears:

As much as I'd like to, I couldn't own a Zeus/Hermes/etc named pet. Too common.

Slightly different but I'd really loving love a terrier named Puck, except for the possible fallout from hollering PUUUUCKKKKK across a field.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Brillig posted:

I would never name an animal Eris because when you say it out loud without spelling it, most people will think you named it Aeris. :(

I have no idea who Aeris is sooooo

Captain Foxy posted:

FUUUUUUUCCKKK is always appropriate to yell at a terrier.

Not when there is a primary school literally on your street! I doubt parents/children would appreciate it, no matter how appropriate it'd be.

Puck/gently caress: best terrier name.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Liquid_Table posted:

This can only lead to disappointment.

I'm still sorely disappointed that me and Wheatley haven't yet reached The Part Where He Kills You Me :v:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Urggggggggggh

I was just trimming Lola's rear end hair and I slipped. I cut a massive chunk of hair off of her thigh and base of her tail/lower back. I tried to neaten it up on the leg and now she looks completely and totally stupid.

:negative:

My dog has a stupid patchy leg and half patchy other leg and a bare little tail now urgh :qq:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Requesting pictures of Lola's new haircut :haw: (come to think of it, the puppy could use a trim, too.)

Dog rear end: not okay

The pictures don't quite do it justice, either. :saddowns: A groomer I ain't.

:qq: what did you do to meeee :qq:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

RazorBunny posted:

Fraction, I read your post too quickly and thought you had taken a chunk out of your dog's LEG, not just the hair, and I was briefly really concerned! She looks very silly, but at least there wasn't blood... :ohdear:

Ha, thankfully no there's no blood! I'd have freaked out so bad if that had happened. Thanks for the concern though! :)

I swear that Dan looks darker in every photo. Do all brindle Cairns do this, or is it just a possible outcome as they get older? Your dogs look as cute as ever though :3:

notsoape posted:

:toot: Bulrush has had 7 pups! :neckbeard:

Where is my picture thread I want a puppy picture thread :colbert:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bash Ironfist posted:

So uh. Been playing tug with the dog lately, and we both enjoy it. At least I thought we did. He's been growling when we do it now. I'll give the toy a tug, and then he'll tug it, and growl.

Sometimes I wonder how it is that you have a dog and now work around dogs and don't know basic stuff :v:

It's super fun to rile your dog up by growling and shaking the toy around yourself. Dogs are easily amused.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

DenialTwist posted:

Pretty much this, I tell my dog what terrible German Shepherd she is all the time, especially now that Wildhaus has a Maverick in the newest litter, it makes her sad. :3:

If you had a dog that is shaped like Lola, your favourite passtime would be telling her just how stupid she looks/what a terrible JRT she is. I've even had someone once try to argue that my dog wasn't a JRT at all! :haw:

For all the Alsatian-owning goons, why do we not have a GSD thread? :mad:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Probably because there aren't any breed-specific threads except the corgi thread. :smith:

There's a bully thread, a primitive thread, and general small dog + big dog thread though. Where's the general herder/spaniel/whatever threads? :qq:

VV I forgot there used to be a herder thread!

Fraction fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 30, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:colbert: You said GSD, not general threads.

I liked reading the herding thread. The big dog thread is the best thread ever.

:colbert: Shut up. If it were up to me and I had all the dogs I'd have a thread for every single breed ever.

Yappy rat thread best thread!

a life less posted:

I gotta say though, my non-sport dog is comparatively neglected. She doesn't get the training time my other dog gets, or the long off-leash runs, or the fun weekends out. She's just so low key though, she seems happy just to lounge, and this morning when I took her out for a jog with the rest of us she was not a happy camper. She doesn't have the energy to keep up.

This is the same between my dogs, even though I don't do sports with either (currently, at least). Lola gets anywhere between an hour and a half and three hours of exercise a day, now that university has finished for summer, and Jess gets like half an hour of on-leash exercise. Because she is dumb and old and can't be trusted off lead. I still get accused of ~favouritism~ though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yes, that's a twin mattress. The whole drat thing cost less than any decent dane-sized bed I could find on the market. I put some links up over in the big dog thread as far as the waterproof layer and the zip cover go, because I had a pain finding ones that would work and I figure I'd save someone else the trouble if there's someone else in need of a nice, soft bed for a big dumb dog.

:psyduck:

The thought of having dogs so big that the best sized bed for them is a goddamn mattress is just mind boggling to me. Won't your house just look really odd with a mattress just parked in the room though?

TVs Ian posted:

His ears are trying so hard to stand up....

Also, I know 'sit' now.

I want this puppy. He is seriously adorable.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

For anyone in the UK, zooplus is having a 60% off everything sale because of the jubilee weekend. If you've been eyeing anything up on there, now is the time to get it! There is a whole section for the Jubilee Weekend Specials here.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 1, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

You guys like pictures of bat-eared mice, right? :haw:

I can finally tell the little shits apart. It's only taken nearly a year. I guess that's what happens when you get mice bred to show standard :v:

Flower (scowly, thin tail)

Tosca (wiggly/bumpy tail)

Mozart (faaaat tail)

Kinkajou (kinked tail)

Anddddd Wheatley!

I also learned that putting the mice close to my lamp makes for awesome photos (the Wheatley ones), buuut it upsets them. I got pee everywhere :saddowns:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Levitate posted:

Went hiking yesterday with Greta. Mostly along a river that was swollen from the huge storm we had on Friday, but she had a good time and only fell in once (she was trying to look at something in the water and didn't realize the grasses near the edge weren't actually solid ground. We pulled her back out easily)

Not sure she was expecting 10 miles of hiking but had no problem with it

She sat like that for awhile to make sure I could get a picture, apparently

One of a bunch of streams that enter the river. She was waiting for a stick to be thrown

http://imgur.com/a/PIdq2

Greta :h:

I dunno if it's the pictures but... she's an Aussie, right? She just reminds me so much of my friend's border collie, except not red merle. I guess she's just not as fluffy as most other Aussies I've seen; and she has a tail, too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

curlingiron posted:

"I didn't know the owners weren't supposed to sell him to me [at two weeks old]!" ...well, that would be why you learn about puppies before you buy one.

Holy poo poo how can you not even know the most basic thing ever about Getting a Puppy. Even getting it at a crappy six weeks would be preferable. Girl sounds like a genuine dog-idiot.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

notsoape posted:

Speaking of lurchers...

13 months :3:

Look at that awesome face. She looks like she has a less retarded version of Lola's squirrel-tail, too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

With that face and colouring, he looks like a skinnier version of Moses.

Yesterday I saw a dog that was the spitting image of Lola's mother, down to the short hair, weird body shape, and dark patch only on top of her head. Except the dog I saw also had a strangely fluffy, Lola-like squirrel tail. I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't Lola's mum. I guess oddball JRTs are even more common around here than I thought? :psyduck:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

wtftastic posted:

This was posted in Lovedump, but I can't get over the way the dog looks. Is it a cattahoula leopard dog? How did it get such distincting breaks in its coat pattern?

It is a purebred Awesome Dog. I would snatch that up in a heartbeat :allears:

One of the reasons I love smooth-faced Pyrenean Shepherds so much is that a lot seem to have very distinct/awesome patterns, like this lovely looking dog:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 8, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'm interested.

You should make a spergy rabbit-genetics thread! I find genetic stuff quite interesting to think about/work out.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I really like Mouse's overall look. She's a very pretty looking dog.

By the way, I've wondered before if Lola has some sighthound in there somewhere, based on the crazy, sighthound-y dip between her ribs and back legs (loin?). Her dad is a farm terrier so it's possible he isn't full Jack. But I've seen some other weird looking JRTs around that aren't related to Lola AFAIK, so I'm not sure if they just run strange in my area or not.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Karen London did a guest post on The Other End of the Leash blog, about how dogs and people both get the "runner's high", whilst animals such as ferrets don't. It's an interesting read, for if you jog with your dog or not.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Today on our biking session, we got back as the school across the road was doing, idk, some trip somewhere. We were stuck in the road outside of my house waiting for the pavement to clear as 40-50 kids walked loudly past. Lola was a little nervous but ate biscuits and didn't bark. Good dog :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Lola was cold yesterday so she decided to crawl inside my hoodie.

She still looks dumb a lot of the time too but at least her leg isn't so stupid-looking anymore after her accidental trim :v:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

cryingscarf posted:

Abby has some crazy fascination with candy. She has always been good about not begging, but if you have a lollipop? She will be knocking you over trying to get to it.

Lola is pretty good about not snatching things off the floor except for chewing gum. If I get the bus I have to keep her attention with constant tricks and rewards for them or I have to pick her up. If not, she will be lunging for the nearest spot of old gross gum.

I just saw the guy who lives near me and has a hyper as poo poo, untrained staffie. Once again it tried to pounce on Lola and once again I had my usual exchange with the guy. I don't know how to explain to him that I don't care if HE doesn't care if my dog bites his - because I don't want her practicing that behaviour. It's very frustrating.

At least it gets Lola used to being grabbed and fed handfuls of treats for dog in the face I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

Also, Cohen earned her ADC - that's her starter agility title. I'm very proud!

Yay Cohen :3:

To whom it may concern: this dog will be mine.

• Locked thread