Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Your cats name is Trophy.

That being said, dogs named Loki disappoint me by not shapeshifting or attempting to rape their half-sisters.

My dogs are named Loki and Thor. They were named before all the moves started coming out and I don't care how overused they are :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I named my dog after a badass character from Battlestar Galactica :colbert:

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

My dog is named Loki and was also named before the trend (4.5 years ago!). I majored in archaeology and Scandinavian studies, though, so I think that means I'm okay.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Pff, I named my dog after mold. :smug:

.......wait.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
There's literally always been a trend to name animals Loki. I remember three from my childhood alone; it's not a recent thing, just exacerbated by the movies.

I think it's overused and I kind of grimace when I hear overused names because there are so many more awesome names out there, but it's okay by me, name your dogs whatever you want.

Personally, I would've picked Tyr and Baldr. Or Huldr and Jotunn. Loki's a tool and Thor is super boring.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Someday I will have a tiny chihuahua male and I will name him Moose

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Indy was named after Indiana Jones because she insisted on exploring the whole apartment the moment she came home. But everyone seems to think I named her after the Indy 500? Regardless, I prefer to name pets after you've gotten to know their personality instead of planning ahead of time.

But, I name my computers/peripherals using names from Roman and Greek mythology. So far I've had laptops Minerva and Iris, an iPod named Calliope and external harddrives Eris (gave me nothing but trouble) and Harmonia (actually worked properly). :blush:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My dog was improperly named after The Fifth Element :v:
e: Korben Dallas or however it was spelled.

I didn't realize the spelling was wrong until like a year later.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Our cat was named after a Disney princess. To be fair, I was in second grade and my sister was in first grade and we had just seen Aladdin.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I give my pets random names. The girls so far have been French in nature, because I'm a terribly pretentious frog and relish calling a cat Genevieve.

All my electronics are named after characters from the Alien movies.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

I named Keeper after Emily Bronte's famous beloved Mastiff, who mourned her death by refusing to leave her bedroom door.

It has imbued little to no nobility or weight of character on him because he is a dog.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Feldman is named after Marty Feldman. Because they have similar eyes. :downs:

Although no one seems to know who Marty Feldman is.

:v: Whats your dogs name?

:c00lbert: He's Feldman.

:v: Feldman?

:c00lbert: You know, like Marty Feldman.

:butt: Who?

:emo: You know, he played Igor in Young Frankenstein

:butt: Never heard of that.

:suicide: oh.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

Feldman is named after Marty Feldman. Because they have similar eyes. :downs:

Although no one seems to know who Marty Feldman is.

:v: Whats your dogs name?

:c00lbert: He's Feldman.

:v: Feldman?

:c00lbert: You know, like Marty Feldman.

:butt: Who?

:emo: You know, he played Igor in Young Frankenstein

:butt: Never heard of that.

:suicide: oh.
Love that movie (and the broadway show). You need to train him to bark when he hears Frau Blucher.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

AcetylCoA! posted:

Frau Blucher.

NEEEEIIIIIIGHHHH

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I name electronics male names that I like but wouldn't name my kids. I've had Harold, Earl, Lionel, Anakin ( ok fine that was from star wars and I just wanted to call him "lil' Ani") and Jethro.

Sarabi is the name of Simba's mom from the Lion King. She was orange and pregnant when I got her. Plus there's one line where Jeremy Irons yells it in this great voice and she walks up all pissy and I like doing that because it works as well as you'd think it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXdlJlzn0dk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The first five seconds of that.

The dog is Leroy Brown. Yes, after the song. Yes, I know.

Liquid_Table
Jun 9, 2010

El Gar posted:

Why do you give your dogs such larger-than-life names from ancient mythological gods of old? Is it because they're so boring in real life that you have to compensate through their names?

This can only lead to disappointment. I had a cat I named "Enzo" (after Enzo Ferrari) who later came to be known as "Disappointment Kitty". The cat had major separation and social anxiety issues. He would randomly spaz out and not be seen for days or he would meow at the doors to bedrooms for hours on end, even when no one was home.

Weird rear end cat.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Liquid_Table posted:

This can only lead to disappointment.

I'm still sorely disappointed that me and Wheatley haven't yet reached The Part Where He Kills You Me :v:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

My chickens are have goon-inspired names, or food. My chickens are lame :(

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

RazorBunny posted:

Wait, Husker's named after Adama? :aaa:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Chido posted:

My chickens are have goon-inspired names, or food. My chickens are lame :(

Nothing is lame about naming a rooster Roostroyer. Nothing.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
My cats both came to us with pretty silly names which, of course, they answer to. So I have cats named Rexy and Tom.

Tom is kind of amusing with it right now because he's still a little uncertain of me so when I call his name he gets this 'oh poo poo what did I do' look, poor thing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My family is pretty awful about naming animals. My sister named her dog Samwise Gamgee "because he has fuzzy feet!". My father named his dogs Betty Boop (and yells "BOOP BOOP A DOOP!!" at her when she's running around), another Buckwheat ("Because he's brown!"), and an earlier fox-red labrador Cedar Chip ("Because she's red!").

Continuing in the tradition I have a strong desire to name a dog Spojt and tell everyone the j is silent, and the aforementioned Tummycuddles as a planned cat name.

All my electronics are named after the names in MST3k movies; my wifi is Blast_Hardcheese.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My parents' neighbors have a big lanky BYB yellow lab named Bilbo. I asked them if they liked Lord of the Rings and they had no clue what I was talking about :psyduck:

Major came with his name and I was too uncreative to change it once I started using it.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

My dad's dog was named Zeus, originally, when he was owned by a French girlfriend of my uncle's, but she yelled after him so much that when she left him with Dad, he renamed him Zoot, which means 'drat it' in French.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

My dad's female Finnish spitz is named Paallikka from Päällikkö, which means boss in Finnish. It's obviously not 100% correct and we all just call her Likka but my god if it doesn't fit.

They also have Pixie a pomeranian who is probably the most sullen and unpixie like creature, Waldo (or shovelhead, you guess why he's called that) a male Finnish spitz, and Maisie a Tibetan Terrier.

My dog is just Bailey and considering he's a doofy shelter mutt I think it suits him just fine. It also allows me to come up with other goof ball nicknames like Balington. Mr. B, and whatever else comes to mind.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

RazorBunny posted:

Yeah you did!
I picked the name Panzer after reading about a style of play in Wow *ashamed*
The boys picked Azula because fire=orange and on the show Avatar they have a firebender named Azula.

There's every possibility I will have a future cat or dog named Katniss.

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 28, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Shifty Pony posted:

My family is pretty awful about naming animals. My sister named her dog Samwise Gamgee "because he has fuzzy feet!". My father named his dogs Betty Boop (and yells "BOOP BOOP A DOOP!!" at her when she's running around), another Buckwheat ("Because he's brown!"), and an earlier fox-red labrador Cedar Chip ("Because she's red!").

Continuing in the tradition I have a strong desire to name a dog Spojt and tell everyone the j is silent, and the aforementioned Tummycuddles as a planned cat name.

All my electronics are named after the names in MST3k movies; my wifi is Blast_Hardcheese.

I dunno, man. Betty Boop is kind of an awesome name for a dog.

My embarrassing pet name confession: I had a spell of naming all my hermit crabs after music people. It started with Shirley (Manson) and Dexter (Holland) and then I had...um, lemme think. Natalie (Merchant) and Bruce (Springsteen). (It was college. I was bored. And anyway, Bruce was a pretty awesome hermit crab.)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow was obviously the least creative thing I've ever named a pet (well, okay, except for Ms. Kitty). I confused him for the shadow of a tree one night and so it stuck. My sister wanted to name him Aries. Whatever, Shadow's convenient and simple I guess.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My parents' neighbors have a big lanky BYB yellow lab named Bilbo. I asked them if they liked Lord of the Rings and they had no clue what I was talking about :psyduck:

That's okay, my BiL wants to literally name everything Blibo. Their computer, his phone, one of the turtles, and possibly a future dog. He jokingly tried to name one of their kids Bilbo, too, but luckily for my sister they had all girls. :j:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What, Arwen wasn't an option? :v:

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
Ugh sometimes when you speak of evil, you summon it. I just found my first ant infestation in a few years. They apparently came right out of the tiny crack between the wall and the floor in the bathroom and went for a bit of cat food that a cat dropped on the floor next to the bowls. I caught it early, there were only a couple dozen of them. Hopefully the horrible wrath I laid down on them will encourage them to look elsewhere.

I am so mad. :argh:

Especially since this is a second floor apartment. :argh: ANTS. :argh:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
We named the dogs after all kinds of random crap but growing up, my wife ran an impromptu hamster rescue as a teen. And for the next 7 years all hamsters were named after X-Men. Because why not. She also named her betta fish after musical duos like Jagger and Richards/Bono and The Edge.

Nori is well.....the girl who asked us to take him in had started calling him Chuck Norris. And we all agree that is an awful name but she begged us to keep it in some form. Nori was the most tolerable version we could figure.

And speaking of, we keep obsessively taking video of him and Tonka but I feel like I'm spamming the thread too much because omg PUPPY so I'm afraid to post the latest :ohdear:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I dunno, man. Betty Boop is kind of an awesome name for a dog.

It lacks yell-ability, a critical consideration for a gun dog. We just call her Betsy now.

She can pull off the large sad eyes like a champ though.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

TVs Ian posted:

I feel like I'm spamming the thread too much because omg PUPPY so I'm afraid to post the latest :ohdear:

Nope, its not spam when we all love puppy pictures :3:

My dogs are Delta and Sigma, because they are littermates and needed matching names, and something that sounds cool because they are GSDs and 2 syllables. I like the name Juno for a large dog, but with the movie... and I couldn't find a good matching male name.

Lots of guys seems a bit confused when the female dog is Delta, but it seems feminine to me :???: I don't care about Delta Force, its a Greek letter.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
edit: ^^^ It's also funnier because Delta is manlier than Sigma. :iamafag:

TVs Ian posted:

And speaking of, we keep obsessively taking video of him and Tonka but I feel like I'm spamming the thread too much because omg PUPPY so I'm afraid to post the latest :ohdear:

Hey, we'll tell you when we've had enough, until then, keep 'em comin'. :colbert:

Oh, and more on names, my snake is named Apep and my fish is named Bruce Campbell.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I've got a Professor Catface Meowmers and a General Beauregard von Spookypants. When I rescued a stray a couple months ago he ended up being Catpants McBitemeister.

I am either awesome or terrible at naming pets.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Alrighty then.

Here is gratuitous battle footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDkTSQVwzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgh6-KAWGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohQYDCHPtOo

He is such a bastard :3:

Anyone able to venture a guess on adult size yet? He's almost 9 weeks old.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey and I met a nice Italian Mastiff today at the dog park. He looked like a great dane sharpei mix, and when his owner said he was a mastiff I was surprised. I figured they were all giant wrinkly messes. I said he had a "nice moderate face" and she stared at me and then said it was the Neos who have giant wrinkly faces. I felt kinda dumb.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Bailey and I met a nice Italian Mastiff today at the dog park. He looked like a great dane sharpei mix, and when his owner said he was a mastiff I was surprised. I figured they were all giant wrinkly messes. I said he had a "nice moderate face" and she stared at me and then said it was the Neos who have giant wrinkly faces. I felt kinda dumb.

Neos ARE Italian Mastiffs, the name is just interchangeable according to locale, like German Shepherd/Alsatian Shepherd. I don't know what that owner was thinking, but maybe it's a new designer breed trying to use the old name?

ETA: Cane Corso are also called Italian Mastiffs.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

Neos ARE Italian Mastiffs, the name is just interchangeable according to locale, like German Shepherd/Alsatian Shepherd. I don't know what that owner was thinking, but maybe it's a new designer breed trying to use the old name?

The dog had a docked (or naturally bobbed) tail, but the ears hadn't been cropped. He was a little wrinkly, so maybe it was a BYB Neo mastiff or the breeder she got it from didn't call it a neo because it wasn't disgustingly wrinkly? I can't imagine it being a pet store puppy because who the hell would be crazy enough to have a mastiff in a pet store puppy kennel?

I don't know, I thought that they were the same thing too.

(Either way it was a pretty sweet dog; he and Bailey kinda chased each other around for like 10 minutes, then ignored each other and sniffed around. The dog, Talos, hid behind my leg at one point in time and peered around it to get a good look at Bailey. That dog wasn't fooling anyone though. He was much bigger than that.)

EDIT: Looking at Corso pics, that's pretty likely. I'm surprised they let her have that dog here considering they won't let people have rotties, dobermans or pits here.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 29, 2012

• Locked thread