Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think the worst example if that is in Oceans 11, Brad Pitt goes from eating a glass or shrimp cocktail to a plate, then back, within a few seconds.

Watch the big battle scene in Braveheart for some wacky continuity. When the Scotsmen are charging across the field, William Wallace is holding his claymore. Then a mattock. Then the claymore again. Then the mattock again and finally the claymore again.

Memento has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krazyface posted:

I just noticed another one in Children of Men: Early in the film, Theo visits his cousin in this huge museum storing hundreds of great works of art, collected together because no-one knows what else to do. He sees Michelangelo's David, which has lost a foot, presumably in the chaos of whatever's going on outside of Britain. His cousin specifically points this out. Later in the movie, Theo kills this one crooked cop, Syd, by hitting him in the head with a cinderblock or something. Moments later he steps on something--he's barefoot--and swears.

It's a bit of a long shot, but the movie's full of biblical allusions and that sort of thing.

It's a car battery. Anyone who has ever lifted one knows how devastating that would have been.

Nothing subtle about it; just a little detail from my favourite movie.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

All on Black posted:

Shirley Holmes?

To contribute: I just watched 30 Rock all the way through again and noticed something that they slipped past the standards department. In the Season 2 episode "Ludachristmas", Liz's family comes to visit for Christmas. Her dad, Dick Lemon, remarks, "it wouldn't be a lemon party without old Dick!". You may remember lemonparty.org, which was famous for featuring some...well, old dick.

I dunno if this is really "slipped past the standards department" as much as it is "normal people don't know internet stuff".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry to derail Predator chat, but I recently re-watched Pulp Fiction and wanted to share something. I'm not going to spoiler it because that movie is 20 years old, and you're all goons so you've seen it.

Towards the end of the movie, Jules and Vince are attempting to deal with Marvin's body (in the trunk, minus the head, in the garage) at Jimmy's place. Jules is loving steamed at Vince, and this comes out on the phone when he's talking to his boss. Jules says "I don't wanna hear about no motherfuckin' ifs. All I wanna hear from your rear end is, You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in there, chill them niggers out and wait for the cavalry which should be coming directly."

Marcellus Wallace then pauses for just a second. You can almost hear his thoughts at this point in time. "Motherfucker doesn't talk to me like that, ever, I'm the boss here. poo poo must be loving serious if he's going to take that tone with me. Also, there's no way I can lose that briefcase, or worse, let the police get their hands on it. Better send the best guy I've got."

Then he send The Wolf and Jules' tone changes instantly. He knows he's going to be taken care of and that everything's going to turn out ok. And then it does, unless of course your name is Marvin and a dude named Vince forgets the second rule of gun handling.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cleretic posted:

Easy Rider: In that famous smoking scene, all of the actors are actually high. Special commendations to Jack Nicholson, who actually somehow managed to deliver all his lines perfectly despite this handicap.

Can't remember if I've posted this before about Easy Rider, but after watching that movie with my mother who was very much a hippy in the "down with authority fight the power" sense, she asked me if I remembered what they set out to find at the start of the movie.

They set out to find the real America. And in the very last scene, they found it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

Was this confirmed somewhere? Or is this just the argument that's happened since it came out only now behind spoiler tags giving the impression it's 100% fact?

It's like the briefcase from Pulp Fiction. Whatever is in it, is what works best for your interpretation of the film. Go nuts, fellow goons!

edit: new page, looks like you did!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
In regards to Django Unchianed, I wondered about the fact that there's an American who is a complete Francophile and a German pretending to be one and whether that was a commentary on the relations that those populations had, throughout the 20th (Germans) and 21st (Americans) centuries.

Probably just me reading too much into it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I was watching A Million Ways to Die in the West and when the guy is speaking in Indian, he clearly says "Mila Kunis" when the subtitles say "fine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7yb9v0s0jo

Not sure how subtle it is but I bet quite a few people missed it.

Seth McFarlane loves doing this. I'm pretty sure that when Jabbe the Hutt's subtitles said "Push them in!" in the Return of the Jedi they did on Family Guy, he actually said Mila Kunis.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ignite Memories posted:

Well just make the companion a handsome british fellow. Or a british fellow who looks like a loving caveman, they don't seem to care.

Yeah the current tumblr heartthrob Benedict Cumberbatch has a face like a sectoid alien from XCOM.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, that's the part where he's describing what exactly he wants for his ma's new caravan.

Well, she is terribly partial to the periwinkle blue.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kruller posted:

There is an episode of Chuck where Yvonne Strahovski uses her real Australian accent. I thought it was the worst fake Australian accent I'd ever heard, not knowing she was from there. Turns out, I just didn't know how Australians sounded.

There hasn't been a single American movie or TV show get it right, so it's entirely understandable that you haven't heard proper Australian accents.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cleretic posted:

In non-accent news, Auspol just directed me to one from Silence of the Lambs, recently put together by someone on Reddit. Someone like Lecter would likely be on monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI), which is used to treat various mental health disorders, including what Lecter himself exhibits.

The three things you can't have on MAOI are chianti, liver and beans.

Hah, awesome.

Directly from the Wikipedia page on MAOIs. There's no way that passage wasn't written specifically with Dr. Lecter in mind.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What the gently caress is up with the perspective there.

Most comic book artists are bad at drawing, this isn't an exception.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There are plenty of things in the new Avengers movie that definitely belong in the other thread, but here's one I quite enjoyed that belongs here. Spoilers because it's pretty new.

Vision is talking to Thor and Captain America and says to them, "I realise I haven't done anything to convince you to trust me", then he picks up Mjolnir and hands it to Thor, literally the one thing he could have done that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he's trustworthy

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chard posted:

I think you kind of have to interpret "subtle" in the context of Superheroes as a genre. Anything short of stating what you mean clearly, in different short words, thrice, qualifies under that banner.

I agree, and the example I mentioned above was quite subtle for the genre, specifically with camera movement and the other characters reacting to it well. Not a subtle movie for the most part, but fairly enjoyable fluff.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ThatPazuzu posted:

Yeah, I don't want to be a killjoy but that's definitely not a subtle scene. Like, ignoring how prominent it was, at the end of the movie Tony and Steve just discuss it with Thor.

The point is that that character didn't have to do that. He could have been forced to prove himself, or he could have gone into battle alongside a group of people who don't trust him which would have lessened their effectiveness, but being who he was, he knew he didn't have time for that poo poo, and knew he could short-circuit the entire process by doing the thing he did. I get that people will have a different definition of subtle, but I also recall in this thread people saying that the chainmail that the bad guy from Commando wore looking like it was knitted was subtle movie making. Like, that's not even movie making, or maybe it is and it's just really lovely movie making because you spent all your money on bicep polish.

Having said that I don't want anyone to think I'm disparaging Commando because that movie's rad as gently caress.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
One of the things I've gotten better at as I get older is turning poo poo off. My wife and I have been enjoying The Blacklist because we like James Spader's performance in it, so we decided to check out some of his older stuff.

Secretary got about 25 minutes of our life before we turned it off. What a shitpile that movie is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a reason Boddicker looks the way he does.

Nahh, surely not...

*googles*

Holy poo poo. That is some excellent movie making right there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

You joke but I literally got yelled at once for talking about how the Spartans died at Thermopylae.

My wife told me off once for spoiling the end of the movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guy Mann posted:

If somebody spoiled the ending to The Jinx or Dear Zachary or Cleanflix would you be totally cool with that because, hey, they really happened?

You're totally right, television and movies based on little-known events from the 1980s to 2000s are totally comparable to notable worldwide news and historical events from hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

Dipshit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:perfect:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Isn't the top level literally like 50-50 left and right-handed? That's what my fencer friend told me anyway.

There was a point in time not long ago when half of the UFC champions were left handed, so that makes sense.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it's just "cybernetic arm so what". Shows how much different the idea of "normal" in post apocalypse New South Wales is from what we expect today.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah I remember watching Robocop in my early 20s for the first time and really enjoying it. So then we queued up Robocop 2 and enjoyed it but with a few "huh? Where did that bit go?" kind of moments.

Then we watched Robocop 3, in which Robocop is able to fly basically like superman and there are ninja robocops that fight each other and are perfectly matched. It was dreadful.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

marshmallow creep posted:

I was 12 when I saw Robocop 3 and even I, a guileless child, could tell it was bad.

Out of curiosity I checked what the internet thinks.

A perfectly linear trend.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BioEnchanted posted:

An old one - I think my favourite character in Mary Poppins, in retrospect, may be Mrs Banks, because her suffragette movements are understated, and treated kind of like a joke certainly, but her effectiveness is shown. She knows how to play a situation. During Step In Time, for everyone else the Chimney Sweep Chorus just happens to them - the maid and Mr Banks both accidentally seed a verse without realising it then get stuck in the dance trying to escape - Mrs Banks sees this and intentionally seeds the next verse. You can see a devious little grin as she recognises the situation and makes brief use of it by setting the phrase for the next verse: VOTES FOR WOMEN!

Votes for Women step in time...

She also leads the dance for that verse as well if i remember correctly.

She's actually kind of badass. I kind of want to see one of her suffragette meetings to see how effective she really is at rallying her girls. :3:

I have two young daughters and as such have watched Mary Poppins about 20 times in the past year and I've never noticed this. Nice one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WampaLord posted:

Also the ending twist where it turns out if she's happy she can reverse the power is really jarring to me. You mean she wasn't happy before? She seemed pretty happy when singing Let it Go.

She couldn't reverse the power because she never tried before. Did you miss where she's spent her entire life trying not to use her powers in case she fucks everything up again?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WampaLord posted:

In the Let it Go song, what is she doing, doofus?

Letting go of her worries so she can use her powers.

She still has never used them to reverse anything she's done. She doesn't think she can, because she's never had the chance to use them. These things take time.

Also, namecalling helps you win arguments on the internet, I heard.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My favourite are the runes carved in the Hagia Sophia. Are they an ancient lost language? Spiritual script from the saints? Nahh, just some Viking writing the 9th century equivalent of "Kilroy was here".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That accident actually made some poor bastard work up the odds (and come up with the term) of "fecal decapitation".

They loved their weird poop stories in the Apollo program.

The bags they pooped in had to be sealed, so obviously they were concerned that there was going to be some gas build-up in the bags, and treated the inside of them with an antibacterial gel. So when you pooped, you had to seal the bag and then knead the poop around inside the bag to make sure the gel got all the way through it. Captain James A. Lovell Jr. didn't like doing that.

So he delegated that task to his underlings.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CzarChasm posted:

Groundhog Die, surely.

:perfect:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EmmyOk posted:

I kind of want to make this my first thread title change tbh

http://i.imgur.com/u5Js289.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also, apparently a whole bunch of dude bro finance guys have been going to the play on Broadway and leaving half way through when they realise that scene isn't in it.

I'm sure the producers enjoy their money.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pook Good Mook posted:

Glengary is up there with Scarface (the new one) and Wolf of Wall St. as the most inappropriately enjoyed movie ever made.

I liked that in War Dogs. Efraim is exactly the right kind of douchelord to watch Scarface and go "man, Tony Montana is awesome, I want to be just like him".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
How much difference is there between the new movie and the old series? Not that I think people should be spoiling It for those that haven't seen it, just curious for people that have seen both.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

??????

Way to miss the point of the book, director.

Yeah there's going to be a second movie, that was always the plan.

Thanks for the replies re: differences, I had figured it would only be the first part with the kids but wasn't sure beyond that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fruit Soup Riot posted:

This little detail is so good I have a feeling George Lucas had nothing to do with it, and probably actively fought against it.

Well, those robots don't exist in any physical form, so it was probably a bored animator waiting for the next round of notes on General Fourarms' movements and deciding to make their own entertainment in the mean time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a good bit like that towards the end of the comic Preacher

Jesse Custer is just a regular human being but has spent his entire life fighting, and was taught how to fight by his uncle Jody, enormous redneck sadist. So in the fight between him and Cassidy, a vampire with superhuman strength, Jesse gets the better of his much-stronger opponent because Cassidy always just took his strength for granted and never learned how to fight. Jesse's advantage doesn't last long, but it's a good take on how a lot of superhuman and hero fighters never actually learn any technique and just get past on brute strength

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought it was really neat that the scenes in the new Bladerunner that are dust-blasted reddish hellscapes are based on the 2009 Australian dust storm.

Australia:

Blade Runner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gromit posted:

I'm far from being an expert in religious dietary law, but surely it is just something she would need to atone in some small way about later, or use as an experience to strengthen her ties to God? It's not like eating non-kosher sends her straight to hell or requires a blood sacrifice.

quote:

The principle of Pikuach Nefesh, the preservation of human life, takes precedence over just about every other Jewish law (the exceptions are worshipping idols, murdering and forbidden sexual relations). A Jew is not only allowed to break another Jewish law to save a life — he or she is required to do so.

Same as not keeping Halal if you're Islamic. You can eat it if it means survival, you just have to make atonement afterwards.