Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like kickstarter because it means we have something to say other than "I'll create the wiki". Thats all I can think of it being useful for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The basic idea is ok actually but you won't make money off it. As somebody mentioned earlier it has wikimedia foundation written all over it. If you change tack and sell it to kickstarter as a non-for profit thing you may get more backing but I guess you'll be wanting to make money out of it so...

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm glad Ian isn't a fake account. Would be a poor use of ten dolles imo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Werthog posted:

dammit i came in here to post some comedy gold and apparently a Thing happened

here it is anyway, whatever, idfc

This has been around for a while, looks like they want money to get some production going. It kind of owns actually

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ian McLean posted:

dude... 10 dollars for platnum member status to find your earlier post. I just want to say thanks everyone for all your input.

Should i just flash the investor proposals to the entire yospos world? Okay... here you go... please don't flame me too hard on this one. I am open to allowing someone edit a new version of the investor presentation if they think it needs improvements somewhere. I think statpedia is legit. It needs money, so going different avenues is definitely something worthwhile. All the current requirements of funding were listed by the team. I entered myself into the budget, and that is it. The development team decided the rest:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1lJQk9_cDo4v3IfAext3zMIqSKoMuuxyWkaph5bbEg_c/edit#slide=id.g4e9534a_0_31

As far as paid subscription goes, no way jose. This data is never going to get used if people have to pay to see it.

Universities do have various systems of uploading data into things. I remember hearing some sociology students speaking about a particular system they use. Data for particle accelerators is coming in all the time. I don't need to reinvent how all these systems currently being used gather the data. I just need to get the data if there is some way it can contribute to statpedia, or pull websites display mechanisms of the data for search so their beautiful stuff can be found.

There are standard database formats that most data is stored. The tricky part is interpreting it in ways that people can understand. This is where chart labs so wonderfully comes into play. Presenting the data in some useful mechanism is super important, but also being able to search for the data and see the actual numbers is nice. Take this for example: http://mcmstv.web.cern.ch/mcmstv/#evd If this data was in statpedia, one could maybe use that data to show a graph of how often different types of particles are created.

What if I am a humanoid robot, and I want all these stats to make decisions. Maybe statpedia can help these robots. All the publicly posted data on statpedia should transfer into some standard format that any standard system out there can read. Need like the ultimate sql repository. There are so many varying database structures. An sql command prompt can be initially used to establish connections to varying databases. From here, tables can be called, and individuals and organizations can opt to host their database on statpedia allowing access to varying data for the search.

Some people may just want to render results from the the search. Some may prefer to use SQL to generate the tables for statpedia chart labs.

People want to be able to pull data, and turn it into meaningful stuff. I need one of those little import/export .sql buttons. Then, make a little window for someone to access to type in sql commands, then convert that stuff over into a matlab, octave, R type thing, go to the statistical design factory, then out it pops into search display. :)

I am trying to get this team spirit of fusion going for all these statistics. This is synergy stuff. Like serious synergy.

Free sql repository uploading place on statpedia. As long as everyone's total sql files are stored to its own unique id everything should be chill. Obviously we are going to know when people's and organizations sql files are being used within statpedia, and so we can create a YouTube type profit sharing system for all those stats. :)

With the sql connection thing, perhaps the users could fast forward and rewind this: http://mcmstv.web.cern.ch/mcmstv/#evd

maybe change the angle around. if the entire sql database is right there within it i can do a search within statpedia for particle accelerator data, and pop, its in search. Maybe one could host it on their own website, and plug in the final result of something amazing, then link it to statpeida.

There are endless possibilities with statistics. Infinity does still exist I believe.

and then we optimize this thing: http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/mapreduce-tutorial.html eventually optimized it into this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover's_algorithm for most optimal database and search performance. Thinking in terms of endless possibilities, I suppose even that last search algorithm can be improved. That is if we can answer this question... http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=296126

Here is this guys answer: rrtucci

I'll give you an analogy that might help you. Suppose you know a series that converges to a constant pi whose value you don't know a priori. Think of the Grover oracle as a subroutine that gives you only partial information about the series each time you call the subroutine. Your goal is to find the limit of the series. Grover's algorithm helps you to calculate that limit by calling the oracle fewer times than you would have to, classically.

By the way, here is a Matlab program ( http://qbnets.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/my-secret-life-as-a-captain-of-the-grovers-algorithm/ ) that I wrote of a more general version of Grover's algorithm(GA). This new version is more general in two important ways:

(1)It does not require that <s|t> be of small, where |s> is the starting state and |t> is the target state. (The original GA only works if <s|t> ~1/sqrt(N) )
(2)It converges with absolute certainty to the target state (The original GA converges only with a finite probability.)

Back to the data being imported into statpedia... if there was a way to use other already established systems that connect to a public sql window, that would work. Maybe statpedia could be allowed to crawl the database of entire systems collecting all the data for system input and format restructuring.

Otherwise, I could see there having to be all these custom database platforms linking externally into statpedia.

Good Stuff. Thanks again guys for all your input. It really means a lot.

Also, I am open to help with the video as mentioned in the previous comment. I would love to make a nice video.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ian McLean posted:

Once again, I did not make this spreadsheet. I just added my name in at the top, and threw in the rightscale + amazon combo (open for suggestions on this). Currently using justhost for 40 bucks a year plus their all new cloud flare for 14 bucks a month! The project manager made this budget: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqDR76NleZQsdDJRNGxHakw2T1Y3OXltamFIRk1SV1E#gid=0

I trust him. He is a good trustworthy person. He said he still wants in house servers even if we are using cloud services.

17k a month for everyone, 4k a month for the office expenses. 23k for initial one time expenses. 30k for server reserve.

It would also be nice to have one individual developing android and and one on the iphone app full time. The project manager said to include another 53k for those two individuals full time.

Even if statpedia raises 20k it will be enough to keep funding the individuals currently working on the project. Hopefully we can expand a bit more than that, and put a little more power behind the statpedia team for a super system. :)

Again, 5

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

0xB16B00B5 posted:

lol @ almost 23,000 dollars for an office and office equipment.

why the gently caress do you think you need an office

Conference room for meetings, gently caress

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oval office AND PASTE posted:

Windows Update started throwing 0x8000FFFF a day ago, and now my machine is out of compliance with NAP, so my network access is limited. Luckily, I'd just sent the FY11 reports off to Mr. Henderson, so I was off the hook for the rest of the afternoon. I picked up the phone and called down the hall.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh no, not Ian. He wouldn't know what to do with me.

I hung up and waited five minutes, then put the call back into IT.

"IT, this is Ian."

Oh hell, why not.

"Hi Ian, this is Andrea in 219. My Windows Update is giving me errors, and now it says my connection is limited and I can't get anywhere. Can you come take a look?"

"Sure thing, I'll be there in a minute."

A few minutes later, Ian peeks his head around the corner. "Come on in, Ian".

Looks like he stopped by the Coke machine on the way in. "Hi, Andrea. So, you're having problems with your updates?"

I stand up and offer my chair to him. He places the Coke on the desk, sits down, and cracks his knuckles before popping the soda open. I watch as he minimizes my Internet Explorer window, which was open to a Google search for "tantric sex".

I walk over to shut the door, then bend over the desk, giving him a straight shot down my silky top. "How's things, Ian?"

His eyes turn and look straight down my shirt, then up to me. He gets a silly grin and stammers out, "Uh, oh, OK. Just fine". Then turns back to the computer.

Seconds pass.

"Ahh, its this dang KB928731. Microsoft Word 2007 update. This thing's been a real pain, but I should have you up in a jiff."

"Cool", I say, twirling my hair. I stand up and walk over to the window, resting my butt on the frame. Ian continues typing.

"Ian, don't you ever think about all these people in this big city? Going here and there.."

Ian's eyes stay on the screen, but his fingers are lifted, hovering over they keys, as if they are hanging breathless on my next words.

"Going to jobs they hate, returning home to families they're emotionally disconnected from."

Ian instinctively reaches in his pocket and pulls out his Bianca spray to freshen his breath.

A sinister tone takes over my voice. "Doing things they..shouldn't do?"

Silence.

"Put it in the hole, Ian."

That was a good thread

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The ironing is delicious

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just gonna pick a bunch of random modules that I think will make me 1) Look cool and 2) be like, smart I dunno afterwards brb

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
cjs: boy, I sure could have used those particle physics classes back in college. This pivot table and accompanying chart are a killer!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Click that classmates link for us and post some screenies tia

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:unsmith:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is Graham. He got sacked ("Uh huh no I jumped before it sank...Julian Assflange you witless fool") and is spending his unemployed days making elaborate trolls for us to enjoy.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Warning: Tsundere

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
huh! gamestick? more like gamedick! owned

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Still certain kirk is ian

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JawnV6 posted:

no really its great that you follow all thsi bullshit so closely in lieu of talent that you can find poo poo funny and link it

gently caress you sulk

Cold

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
still think its kirk or gentle autist

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what is suburban frustration?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

50hz posted:

living in your mother's basement and not having sex/touching the soft skin of another/feeling the warmth of a person's love.

ah yes, the ennui in his anthology is resonating much more with me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why did this gets sticked? Did I miss something?

• Locked thread