Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is anyone coming to Destination Nurburgring 7 or Spa next week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kaakao posted:

At the DN7 right now.

What you in? Where you staying? Come to the V10 e46 tomorrow and ask for ash. Ill probably be throwing up from Alan the fastest lad outside of a Racecar.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kaakao posted:

I was driving the black 996 turbo, only got few laps on Wednesday thanks to some issues, work and the snow. First time driving the ring while it is snowing, didn't slow down too much :)

Too bad the weather was/is poo poo, last Easter it was +20C , now below freezing.

Ah cool man! British car?
Yeah it was a real shame but that's how it goes! You getting to the next one too?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kaakao posted:

Finnish plates, the car is in Germany now but we will most likely be back in Finland by June so DN8 will most likely be passed.

That's a shame man. We had a lot of fun in spite of the weather anyway.

Are you in this anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1uC5ujex4

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

That completely awful harness mounting is terrifying, and about as wrong as you can get. What kind of cage builder is so inept that they don't put in a harness bar?

What are you on about? Where do you think those harnesses are going?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone recommend me a new helmet?
I'd like something open face that looks really nice.
Those Ruby things are amazing but probably a bit pricey.

:love:

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 11, 2014

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Phone posted:

Man, 2 kids getting duped by a fyad nerd.

Me?!
I want a decent open face coz last time I wore a full face I got too hot around the nurburgring and vomited all over the place.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

How about a great trackday video of what we all imagine GT-R drivers are like:

http://vimeo.com/109257775

Considering it's in like boring mode, that thing is ballistic fast :stare:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He crashed into a mp412c as well lol. What a chode.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

So i've booked up for one final day this year at Brands Hatch indy in early December. Its either going to be wet, cold, or a combination of the two. Will be meeting with a friend whos bringing his stripped out mr2 that hes running in the sprint series, cant wait!

On the 5th? I might come along and do it on RSRs and die ftw.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Looking forward to trying out these R888Rs and 595 rsrrs next year lads.
I think my boss is gonna let me lap the ring in his xbow as well. :getin:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Did you manage to do anything this year? I went back to brands hatch last monday, on a supposedly dry day. Somehow the track retains water, but all the surrounding roads were bone dry. :shepface:

Its not fun driving on a damp track with heatcycled summer tyres at about 2°c , it did dry out eventually and got a decent amount of laps in. Ended up going with a friend who is running in the toyota sprint series in an na sw20, he was able to put the power down so much easier than I could. I ended up just running on actuator boost and even then I was spinning up the wheels coming out of clark curve.

The conditions also helped me with figuring out snap oversteer :haw:

Heres a picture, I cant be arsed to buy any this time because the car looks abseloutely filthy.
http://www.msvtphotography.com/v/photos/25087trx/14389510402

Thats my last day till the weather gets nice again and I realy need to sort out what to do for new tyres. In the uk we arent endowed with the same selection of r-comps that the US has.

I'll be going to the autosport international show in January to try on helmets because i'm fed up of using rental ones.

I just did a few blyton days ftl. I have a ring trip booked for september but I'm seriously considering DN in july too. I'm currently spending over $9000 to make my car be more better so prob won't do much early this year. Let me know what you go to though

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Nice blyton is pretty close to you isnt it? I dunno what i'm doing yet this year but I realy need to go to the ring, is it a trackday in september or just a touristwhatsit? My cars pretty much just been sitting around since december anyway and yeah i've been buying up over 9000 parts also. :newlol:

I'll be doing Brands (because i'm lazy and its 40 minutes away) but I realy fancy Donnington and also Snetterton. Also depends on what days people are doing at the mr2 club.

I was gonna go to the autosport show to look at helmets this weekend but i've pulled my groin (dont ask what his name was thanks) and also have a fever!

Hows the m3 holding up? You got any kewl pics?

It's fine. I'm not enjoying winter driving on these RSRs tbh so just pootling about.
Blyton isn't far really no. I want to do DN in July but nobody seems up for it because £1200. September is tourist driving cause my mate wants to go there for his stag. I'll probably do about 10 laps then drink 9000 beers ftw.

What parts did you buy? I hope it was getting those friggin kewl wheels refurbed!!!!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Federal 595 RS-R

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You're not gonna hit any speed limits lol.
No helmet is fine.
Slow cars fine and fun coz not as much peril.
I got to lap the ring a few times with my job.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A guy at work has just given me this.
Anyone used one before?

Heading out to the ring in the morning and it'd be awesome if I can figure it out I think :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can you nerds not just wear contacts?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you're in the uk I can't speak highly enough of ricco.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What dashes are y'all using!!!
I don't wanna buy one that doesn't have awesome warnings and stuff and isn't visible in the sun etc etc. Minefield!
I have a FIA spec cage for the lsm3 on the way and I'm thinking I may as well just go the whole hog at this point tbh.

Anyone built their own splitter? That's my winter project to balance out the rear I've bought :mrgw:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Has anyone here moved from tracking motorcycles to cars and not regret it in some ways? I've ridden about 40 trackdays in the last few years but never been to the track in a car. Giving it up seems difficult and I don't really know how a car really compares.

You can go around corners faster and it's insanely fun 😈

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah.

One of my pals has just put a inconel exhaust on his 991 GT3 and is figuring out how to attach silencers. Must be absolutely heart breaking drilling into a $10k exhaust haha.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

If you find your PS reservoir boiling over, just get a flush and use a higher temp fluid. Mine only ever starting boiling when I did autocross as opposed to proper track days, but I've done a few since with the higher temp RedLine stuff and it hasn't happened since.

Also yes, keep your gas tank at least half full if you can. Fuel starvation is bad.

Just don't do autocross imo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I need some sparco pro2000 covers. Are they really like £200?! I'll just buy new seats if so haha

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My tyre thoughts are direzza 03Gs and Nanking AR1s.
My mates in the uk m3 series run either and love them and all the schirmer boys swear by direzzas.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I like my pro 2000s but everyone at track days seems to have spgs. I guess because more expensive = better

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah. They're light, strong and A E S T H E T I C
I love them.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’d rather slide around an industrial estate in the middle of the night than do auto cross I think.
I spoke to a few yanks when I was at the ring who were making it sound as if it was equivalent to running an lmp1 car in lm24 of something and it pissed me off so much I’ve decided it’s fhe CrossFit of cars.

I’m off to the ring in just over a week and I am absolutely hype.

I also think I may have found the biggest bargain in fia seats and will tell you guys about them when I fit them this weekend.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Absolutely without a doubt 100% one of the sketchiest moments of my life. Entered the top of the fox hole relatively quickly. Spotted a written off cayman in the gravel far too late. Hit the fluid and grass/mud and completely lost the backend. Held it on the lock stops and managed to miss the barrier after jumping the kerb and driving over the wheel the cayman lost. Got out of the way enough to stop and jump the barrier. 2 guys left in ambulances and 4 out of 5 of the cars left on flatbeds. Assuming I’ll find some damage when I get it on a ramp but feeling crazy thankful at the moment. Just insane. Genuinely can’t believe it. The 2 cars behind me ended up in the barriers and must have missed me by a couple of inches. gently caress.

Watch the slo mo carefully. The second cayman literally flips over the top of the first.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luvAklORVe4&feature=youtu.be

E:

Some aftermath too: https://youtu.be/ZGQgd6I9Az0

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 14, 2017

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Slicked semis are good as hell if there’s no water. Just drive til you see canvas. It’s a track :buddy:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nige rules and is helping me with mine :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Strip it and then buy another one and daily it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I meant to post these a while back. I don’t understand how it’s possible but these are just sparco evos for half the price. Even the hardware is still sparco as is the fia approval. Oreca build half the Le Mans grid and are legit as hell so I assume it must be some kind of sponsorship thing?

https://www.oreca-store.eu/turn-one-trophy-s-race-seat-fia-approved.html

Very good and much more rigid than the pro2000s I used to have.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s a load of forum style overkill for track days is what it is

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Heading out to the ring for a full opl track day on Saturday.
Don’t suppose any of you lot are out? I realise most are American.

Getting some tips from big Nige:

https://youtu.be/h_hLD6WR0q0

And letting him and VLN maniac Moran have a go in the LSM3. Should give some good places to start to improve the car as well as my own driving. Can’t wait.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Never heard of OPL? Got a link are they a uk tdo?

You gonna do any days over here? I'll def be up for some as soon as my engines run in. I might start out easy with bedford again because it's been more than a year since I've been out on track now, but you've gotta give donnington a go.

Opl is just open pitlane m9. It’s a circuit days day.

Yeah man I’ll come along if you book anything. Ideally want some Friday days so I don’t lose too many hours at work. Either track is fine with me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This looks understeery. More throttle plz