Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
anyone (besides me) doing the scda nhms event on sept 30th? its my first track event, done only autox thus far. I'll be there in my 05 sti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

295 per day? I get two days with COM for 400!

well I got it for 265 due to subie discount, and I also get 3 classes that day. only downside to com is that com days are the same day as autox at nhms, and I'm not in the position to do events out of state

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Ill probably drop in to see how the events go. Im not sure if I'm going to register as of yet

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
my first track day is two days away, am I forgetting anything?

I'm on 100 mile old direzza z2s, just checked my alignment, zero toe with 1deg neg camber up front, pads look like they are 80% worst case, I'm doing a full brake fluid flush tonight and have extra for the day.

oil is only 2k old and I have plenty extra on hand, I'm bringing basic tools, a jack, gloves, pyrometer, food water etc.

anything else I should bring?

the event is an scda event at nhms, if your there and see a white 05 sti, its probably me

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Bring loads of water. I probably go through about 16 oz between each session, and that adds up after 6 sessions.

Thanks for the warning, I brought a gallon which i drank most of from my 2nd session on

quote:

A torque wrench for your lugs, which you should re-torque before every session.

Almost forgot that one. I did check them, however i did it before each session as they reccomended not trying to torque down the aluminum wheels when they were hot

quote:

A helmet and the attitude that you're there to learn.

You're pretty well covered on mechanical bits and if you should need something you didn't bring most groups are very friendly and willing to lend tools/assistance to get you back on the track.

Hindsight I was over prepared, and seemed to have brought as much stuff as some people with dedicated track cars. However I was able to actually lend things out which was a nice way to start convo's with people who know much more than me.

quote:

Bringing a pyrometer is pretty crazy for your first track day. Just go and have fun and learn, hope you don't have to gently caress with your own car and ride along with instructors with cool cars.

I brought the pyrometer so i can get use to seeing what is how hot and get in the habbit of checking my tires. I didnt make any adjustments based on temp changes, i just bled down the tires

All in all a great day, thank you track day goons for the answers and advice, i think im hooked.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Bleeding down the tires is what i did. I started at 40psi all the way around, after my first session the tires were 47ish up front and 45 in the rears, i bled them down to 39 all the way around, after the next session they were 43is i belive all the way around, bled them to 39 again and they stayed that way for the rest of the day.

Tire temps wernt to hot, around 120deg f up front, actualy i dont know if thats 'hot' or not but they didnt seem to mind. rear's were 110'ish. The temp's mibht be a little off as i checked them after i was done adjusting my pressures

I did ask a few other subaru people and they were going on track in the morning with 35psi all the way around on cold direzza z2's

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Whats the rule on flushing brake fluid for hpde's. I completely flushed my brake fluid in my sti on sept 29th and did an HPDE the following day. After that ive put maybe 200 miles on my car and went to 1 autoX.

I have another hpde this Saturday, is it good practice to completely flush the brakes again or is that overkill and should i just bleed each caliper a bit?

-Jacob

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
on the subject of turbo dsm's, did yours make nhms's com event? i managed to get in for saterday and never came across your car

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
So I'm going to replace the fantastic stock struts and tanabe springs in my 05 sti and am looking for opinions.

It seems that rce t2s, kws, jrz rs1s are all about the same price, and all fairly known aside from the jrzs which I can only find BMW reviews, any one have a reccomendation out of the bunch, or something different?

Car will be on zii's till they cord then I'll prob buy sticky tires for both autox and hpde. I'm aware I may have to change spring rates if I go rcomps. Currently the car has Cobb bars, an alk, stiffer bushings out back and i,m looking to do the front next.

I do drive the car on the street, so race only stuff that can't take normal street use isn't an option, I will however swap them out for the newengland winter months

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
It sure does. If I haven't blown my budget I'll be there for the comscc events.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

Certainly it's something better than doing NHMS again and again and again.

I'm guessing you haven't seen this years schedule...

Anyone have an opinion on carbotech 10s or even 12s on a heavier track car. I've got to decide on tack pads for my sti in a few weeks and there price is rather attractive

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

jamal posted:

Oh, and the stoptech street pads have similar max temp and cf properties as the HP+ but work cold and are a lot cheaper.

I'm no expert on the subject, but stoptech street pads survived two track days at nhms on my sti last year and they are still on my car today. I did however use a good 60‰ of the fronts in that 3 week span, and that was with a conscious effort to be easy on them.

rotard fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 13, 2014

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Does that use factory pickups or did use some form of harness bar?

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Finally got the approval for time off from my boss, went to go sign up for 2 days at Watkins Glen at the end of the month... and it's full :negative:

Genuinely pissed off after a really lovely past 2 weeks of stupid, unfortunate car trouble.

Comscc is doing 2 days at wgi the very beginning of sept and there are only 47 registrations as of now if you still need a fix.... Its a mon/tues deal

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Ohh, that's tempting. Looks like it'd be $450 as a newbie for 2 days? That's a lot cheaper than trackmasters was. What would I register my car as, it's bone stock aside from the wheels. I can't seem to find the specifications that differentiate the different Touring tiers.

e; Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

You should get a discount if your a first time com'er as well. Comscc.org has an excel sheet on the rules page for touring class's. If your car is stock just pic your car from the list and skip all the modification pages.

Also garages are usualy dirt cheap and wgi is no diff, its 25 a day, cant beat that.

If you do go im registered and will be there both days, #281 white subie, prob onjack stands, as it loves to break at events (infact i lost a cv joint at an autox today)

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Crustashio posted:

Used my NT01s and beat my previous lap record by almost 2 seconds. Not bad for tires with ~40 autoX runs by me and 4 trackdays on the POs 335i.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFMnK7bqlmI

What track is that? Looks very fun with the elevation changes

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. I live up in Buffalo, so I'm considering just getting a hotel nearby, rather than driving 6 hours round trip twice. Any particular reason I should get a garage spot instead?

Im getting a garage as it always seems to be blisteringly hot, or raining at track days. Nither of which i enjoy working on my car in. Im also getting a hotel as even though i like camping, a bed is mighty nice after a day of lapping. Be sure to mention comscc with a hotel if you do go, i got what we figure to 30% off pre-tax a night

Crustashio posted:

Atlantic Motorsport park. The only road course east of Quebec. Luckily its a really fun course, although the surface condition leaves a lot to be desired.

It does look fun, and would give me an excuse to try the nova star out to get up there

rotard fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 19, 2014

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Saddly no, my clutch is toast from wgi, im t80 anyhow. Are you planning nhms?

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Looks good! how much does it weigh and what tires were you using. Also, shame on the GT3 for not giving a point by

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

drgitlin posted:

That's because in the UK all motorsport is organized under the MSA. In the US there's SCCA and NASA, both of whom will want you to have done the equivalent course with them (including paying several thousand dollars for tuition), which is why there's now a market for grassroots series like ChumpCar and Lemons where there's no licensing and you don't need to drop $5k on a four day course.

in new england at least, you can do scca club racing experience which is a day of both school and wheel to wheel and i think its around 350, wont get you a license. they also have weekend comp schools which are around the same but friday and sat, more class but more learning. they do not however guarantee a comp licence, you may need a second class. if you do get a licence you can reg up for the sunday races aswell. the 4 day $$$$$$ schools do result in a license assuming your dangerous.
Assuming i finish my car ill be doing the nhms school in may which will be my first w2w event

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Anyone have an opinion on the next (or same) tire i should move to?

short story, im going on my 4th year of hpde's and casual tt's with a local group that travels all over new england. I did the first two years on direzza's, last year on nt01's which have some life left in them but wont last all year so I have to buy something. Class wise sky's the limit, I only have to maintain power to weight now. Ive toyed with buying another set of wheels and some imsa or similar scrubs if i can find 275 in 17's, i dont think a second set of wheels and new tires is in the budget.

Car is a 2005 subaru that weighs 3050-3100 with me in it depending on fuel. Im looking at 20 track days this year, something that would last most of that would be ideal, but I know thats pushing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
just casual track days? unless $ really is no object id just go with single adjustables shocks at most and and much less expensive brakes. out of curiosity, what are you having built?