Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have a guide for setting up a race seats?

I'm installing seats into my track prepped e30 and need to know ideal positioning for the seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ColdPie posted:

For a car that you track a couple times a year, but mostly drive on the street, is it common to just have two sets of pads and swap them out on track days? I've been looking at reviews for the pads you mentioned, and most seem to complain about the noise when street driving. There doesn't seem to be a good compromise that works for both track and street driving. Sounds like a bit of a chore to do every time you head to the track, but it also sounds worth the effort.

e: I guess if you have a separate set of track wheels/tires as well, then it's less of a chore since you're in there anyway. Hmm...

I've done this on my e30 when I was using it for DD and track duty.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally got around to installing my new (to me) Sparco Evo 2 L seats and I have a question about harness fitment:

While seated, should the top of my shoulders be lower than the bottom of the shoulder openings?

I'm planning on picking up a rollbar and harnesses soon and really want to do everything right the first time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/cat/brake-pads/post/swapping_pads

Anyone ever try this method of swapping pads without swapping rotors? I'm lazy enough that carrying the drat rotors around and removing the caliper brackets makes it too much of a hassle for me. But if I can just swap the track pads on a few days before, then remove them a few days after, it'd be perfect.

And no, I don't care about brake dust on the wheels.

I swap pads on my e30. Axxis ults for DD and pfc 06's for track.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That autocross "track" in shelton at the airport is pure garbage.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
After the boeing club lost the everett site we were forced to use the track in shelton and it's just too far for such a bad location that I gave up and switched to track days only.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any recommendations for a cheap multilayer suit? I'm driving in a race at the end of the month at Oregon Raceway Park (ORP).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Anyone here use recaro pole positions or sparco evos? I'm looking for a quick measurement on each seat and there aren't really any local cars to check.

I have an older evo 2 xl in my e30 but you can get all of those dimensions from the manufacturer's website.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
crush> you just want the size of the holes? or their relative location on the seat?

For anyone running 15" wheels, great price on AD08's if you are looking for tires

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/rebates/

Double rebates if you have a discount tire direct credit card

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R
205/50R15 86V BSW

rebates

75x2
60x2

576 - 270 = $306 before taxes, free shipping is included.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did my first track day in my 318iS in 3+ years, constructive criticism appreciated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ7tBwGbhF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSB13nazIJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhffTCM1ij8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efzz0bLOK5U

sorry for the audio quality, i need to see if I can improve the gopro case.

I was getting a TON of brake shudder (race pads on street rotors) on the first session so I backed off a bit to minimize it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

You took out the passenger seat but not the back seat? I'll look through it later and offer actual useful info if I see anything. Brake shudder has always been pad deposits for me. A few times overly hard braking usually cleans them up pretty quick.

Well I sold the stock seats a long time ago and haven't bothered to install the passenger race seat yet, but the back seat is pretty light so I didn't bother. The entire car will be stripped once I finally get a rollbar and harnesses installed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I already read that this morning, awesome to see that it was written by a goon! Good read!

Is the AIM solo the only reasonably priced standalone datalogging option out there?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DTD is having a sale right now through ebay for tires and i'm looking at a new set for the spring for my e30 in 205/50/15

Nitto NT01 vs Nitto NT05 vs Kumho XS vs Azenis 615k

Leaning away from NT01 due to price and don't really need competition tires.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are the NT05's really that bad?

320 bucks shipped for NT05
388 for 615
402 for XS
504 for NT01

free shipping and no sales tax

http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Tire-Direct/Current-Promotions-and-Forms.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nait Sirhc posted:

I put it into the dirt REALLY HARD today at Miller. It was absolutely glorious. Kept pushing the car faster every lap. The last one of the day (was getting too dark)... there's the big straight of the course, then a wide sweeping left. I was at the top of 4th and I normally took this turn in the middle of 4th (around 80). Went in hot and tried to come out hotter, but the tires just gave up at that point (this was 7 laps in) and let go. Spinspinspinspin *chokes on dust* *car sputters to a halt*

(while driving this)

Well at least you got your first spin in a Z3M pretty soon after buying it, it's bound to happen at some point.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pro3 is pretty popular in the PNW but it's really really loving expensive now. 40+ cars in many races.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How about a great trackday video of what we all imagine GT-R drivers are like:

http://vimeo.com/109257775

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Octopus Magic posted:

I'm legit impressed at how well 2 tons of Nissan can hunk itself around.

while driven by a retard

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Welcome to flavor pucker town!

Could you hear any change in sound/vibration leading up to the crash?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yes, you can still get the gold stuff. It's better anyway cause it won't stain your fluid reservoir.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone going to The Ridge June 29?

Which group is running it? i wish i could afford to get on the track right now

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's the hot track day tire these days? RE-71R/RS3v2/Z1SS/AD08R?

I'm using 15x7.5 K1's so I'm leaning towards 205 width on my stripped 318iS.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DTD is having a pre-labor day sale, AD08's have a $100 rebate and a double dip rebate of 60 if you also use a DTD credit card.

Which leads me to a set of 4 AD08's for 400 shipped. Pretty tempting.

TTR is OOS on the RS3v2 225/45/15's for the year and 195's are available but won't work for my car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There are a few companies in motorsportreg that offer insurance

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DTD is running a BF/CM deal, double promotions, ect

205/50R15 Advan AD08's for 144*4 - 160 rebates = $416 with free shipping

Are these tires worth it at that price? how's the performance in the wet?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Raccoon? How many hours in and left in the race?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Cringeworthy over and over. Looks like 3 different bad drivers?

I still don't understand why so many drivers have a problem holding the steering wheel like a loving caveman, on track or not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's more than just one guy in that video. Not sure if that makes it better or worse

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

Buy an E46 330i. It'll be cheaper and less of a pain in the rear end than coming up with some bespoke scenario for your CTS-V since you're tall.

M54's are really poor for track duty (but not as bad as the M52B28 in the e46's).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

Because there are plenty of long blocks and parts available for them and you're not out literally thousands of dollars if you pop a motor.

:laffo: well played

I'ts not a bad suggestion but any e36 would probably be a better option, even if the non-M cars are significantly slower than a 330i.

Infinotize posted:

Just curious - why's that?

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7320

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

You didn't really answer the question.

Like "chronic oiling issues" or "constant money shifting" or "no parts availability" would have worked.

Sure I could have said those things but sometimes it's better to show evidence of how modding an m54 is akin to burning a dumpster of money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's the verdict on advan ad08 tires? I can score a set of 205/50/15 for 436 shipped. Any good in the rain? I have almost killed off my kumho xs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

AD08 or AD08Rs?

R

Discount tire direct is having a president's day sale

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just make sure they are DOT approved construction

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I know it's subjective but any recommendations for a cheapish full face SA2015 helmet? i got 10 years of infrequent use out of my $250 pyrotect but its time to retire it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Last time I checked (month or two ago?) I could only find a few SA2015 helmets online. I like my old HJC AR10 (I think it is?) quite a bit for the fit and will likely buy their new version of it. I tried a couple cheap helmets and none of them fit my massive dome even though I picked the correct size based on their dimensions. Too much pressure on my forehead and they gave me headaches.

Hjc won't have SA2015 helmets available till 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Thought you were being facetious, but it looks to be true. :(

I thought they would be a good option for a budget helmet with removable liners but yeah, no way i'm spending 2/3rds the price of a 2015 helmet for a "discounted" 2010 helmet.

I guess bell or simpson are the way to go for me.

Last day of the 50 dollar rebate at tire rack for dunlop star specs, I think i'm going to pull the trigger. My Kumho XS are 6 years old .

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hahaha awesome response. Is it just me or shouldn't a set of wheels take more than 14 track days to start seeing that kind of fatigue?

I installed a set of speed bleeders on my e30 yesterday and they are amazing. Took less than ten minutes to bleed all of my brakes with them and my motive power bleeder and no assistant required.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
awwwww yissssss

recommend me:

brand and model of 5 or 6pt harness (compatible with HANS)

paint for roll bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
make sure you buy supplemental insurance for your track day