Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

I'm in the market for a new helmet myself. Do you need a HANS device for NASA HDPE? I'll be doing my first in June.

Which event? I'll be at Thunderbolt in June in case you're local.

You don't need one but after my first weekend with NASA I'm fully aware that HANS+harness+seat is coming up. If you're on standard seats/belts the HANS just serves to do what your airbag already does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

June 16-18 at Thunderbolt. And that's exactly what I'm afraid of happening to me.

I'll be there, see you there.

What car are you driving? I'm new to car-trackdays but done tons on bikes. Happy to show you around and help as needed.

Passing corvettes is fun!! (which is why I'm so far offline)

Edit: You're doing all 3 days!? Dude you're gonna be BEAT haha

Blaise fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 10, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

I'll be in a Focus RS being real slow. Also volunteering the first two days and driving Sunday.

Volunteering?

Cmon sign up for 2 days. Do it do it do it do it :)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Stock miata, could probably track it 20 days in a row. and not change tires or brakes. hahah.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 10, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Roman Rambo posted:

The miata guys always look like they are having the most fun while I am fixing the power steering for the 100th time of the day.

What goes wrong with the PS? My buddy is bringing his '05 WRX as well. I figured he'd just need pads and fluid, otherwise good to go (has RS3s).

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I used my phone in normal spot. Lap times seemed very consistent (slow).

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

hey blaise is back where did you end up going after you left everett/seattle?

Went back to Philly for a few months.
Drove out to Alaska for a few months - legit.
Drove down west coast camping.
Spent a month in Thailand, then one month in Vietnam - yeah... that whole motorcycle across vietnam thing? People who think that's a good idea are nuts... (there's a thread on ADV)
Malaysia, Myanmar, Australia (meh, dont go there), New Zealand (definitely dont go there), Japan, korea, then back to California, camped a few more months.

Now I'm back in philly again. :lol: I have 2 jobs, 2 miatas, a motorcycle, a truck... and thinking about buying a daily so I can put race seats in the NA.

To stay on topic:

yayyyyyy

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Sorry, it shows on my end just fine and imgur is blocked at work :( I'll fix it later

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Can you run tires backwards on cars in dry conditions? I've done it on bikes...

I ask because the tires on the 15x8s I bought just happen to be more worn on the left side, and most of the tracks near me are right-handed. So I'd rather not end up with two bald and two 50% tires.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Just signed up for my first ever track day. HPDE June 17th-18th at NJMP. Is anyone else going to that event? Would love to meet up with some people.

See you there! '92 sunburst with the perpetual left arm giving point-by. What are you gonna be driving? Sold the miata?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

What track? The WRX gets up to speed quite fast and you put exponentially more heat into the system when you're braking from 120+ mph. A lot of local guys who are doing laps in their Mustangs or Corvettes usually opt to coast after 135 because braking at 135-140 gives them double the pad life than braking from 150+.

I believe this 100% but it still doesn't seem like they're coasting when they pass me in my miata going 35mph faster...

At least I have near infinite brake and tire life? :sigh:

Blaise fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 23, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know how you guys in Miatas keep sane. Riding a slow bike isn't bad because there is PLENTY of room to pass someone slow on a fast bike... but not in a car. Seems like it would get frustrating real quick.

I actually really like it. In group 1 it was annoying (very little awareness of holding up a slow car/fast driver) but in group 2 it forced me to really push my brake markers back and carry tons of speed. By the end of my 2nd day I was passing C6 corvettes.... while still giving lots of point bys. You're right, it's not nearly as easy to make a pass as on a bike but it's still great.

I'm learning and learning quickly. Having a 1.6 miata is the best tool :dance:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

FatCow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoWECHIclE0

I raced some people, then lost.

Also there is nothing "in a straight line" about braking on the backstraight of VIR.

This is SO good.

Dear Santa bring me enough money to go racing. *gets 3rd job*

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
What's the typical life of another ~200TW tire? Running A008Rs here in a stock miata.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

crazzy posted:

all the manufacturers are cheating with the 200TW stamp now.

I've noticed this. Is there not a standard MTS tire test standard to run these on?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
That's what I've heard as well. They really should have a standard test like we do in aerospace to rate things. At least so it's consistent even if it's consistently cheating.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^^ Thanks for this. Excellent. Hard to believe the RS4 and RE71s are that much stickier than my AD08s but AWESOME.

Edit: Where's the Toyo R1R fit?

Also, would you choose a 205 RE71 over a 225 RS4? I run 15x8 and I'm worried the 225 wont fit :(

Blaise fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 25, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I guess I could just run the 195/50 RS4 as well. Hmph.

Yeah yeah yeah VVT/boltons/PNPMS/6spd swap and done. Oh wait, It's a $1500 car :lol:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Really? A Go Fund Me for a new safety gear?

Is it just me or is this being hugely overused now? Glad the cage clearly held up to the worst-case scenario.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yes I posted this in 2 threads. I'm sorry but I REALLY need help/info.

Naturally, less than a week out from track time and now is when I've got issues.

1992 Miata. NA8 (94-97) brakes. G-LOC (Carbotech) XP-10 front pads, XP-8 rear. No other mods, standard rotors. Pretty much the standard issue miata setup.

6 weeks ago I installed these pads with a new set of rotors. Amazing, like being hit by an oncoming train. Lots of noise but totally worth it. Great bite. Did 2 days with them at NJMP, no problems.

A week or so after the track I noticed that I was getting a steady squeak-squeak-squeak from the right front. Took apart calipers, sliders looked good, piston looks good, etc. Put it back together. Still squeaked.

Took it back apart again, this time noticing that when spun, the RF came to a stop much faster than the LF. Compressed piston, tried again - now it spins great. Checked sliders again, checked piston again - no binding there. Looked CAREFULLY and noticed a tiny amount of play in the wheel bearing. Ordered a bearing and threw it on a few days ago.

Now my brake feel is AWFUL. The noise is gone (both consistent and when on brakes) and so is the bite. It's not unsafe to drive on the street or anything, but I'll be at NJMP on Saturday and Sunday - even with 90whp I want my brakes back. It basically just feels like there's no friction until I really stand on it.

Been trying to get ahold of 949racing (brake vendor) with no luck since Thursday, I think they're out on an extended racing weekend so I'll update if they get back to me.

Under heavy braking, the car seems to pull left. That makes me think the RF brake is definitely the culprit. Took the brakes apart again last night, here's pics. I gave em a light scuff with sandpaper, cleaned em off with brake cleaner. No change. The two pad pics are different only in that one pic was taken in shade and one in sun to show possible glazing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8388_zpszdusqaui.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8390_zps4ervpno0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/IMG_8392_zpsyp215cke.jpg

Any ideas? Getting really stressed bc even if I ordered a new set of front pads ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) not sure if they'd show in time.

Edit: Both G-LOC and Carbotech suggested swapping inner/outer pads. Said there's no way to screw up the transfer layer from just commuting. Here's to hoping...

Blaise fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 12, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Check your axle nut on that side

Guess you missed that I just replaced the wheel bearing. It's right.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Ah sorry, read the too fast. My buddy had almost the exact same issue this weekend at gridlife with carbotexh pads, his nut backed out.

Did it go away once he fixed it? I could back it off and retorque it to check.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Sorry I missed everybody but KidDynamite.

Hope you guys waved as you passed me! (Yellow miata, group 2)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Which car were you in?

That drill was atrocious. I'll admit it took me a sec to hit the brakes because red flag = off pace and pit in has been drilled into my head from motorcycling. But yeah. Awful. I actually missed it the 2nd time around just because I was chasing somebody and suddenly the black NSX went WAY off pace. :wtf: Then I saw it.

That being said I'm not sure if I'm OK with drills for group 2. Lotta guys are still learning lines and such. This ain't racing.

In other news, my miata is fat pig (2522lb with me and 2/3 tank). Barely cracked 1:47s, which is a full 10 seconds off SM pace.

I figure 3 seconds or so is stuff I can improve, 3 seconds in the tires, and about 3 seconds in lack of power and too much weight.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 19, 2017

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Almost certain they did it with you guys because 3-4 group screwed it up so horribly on Friday.

Yeah that ain't OK. By 3/4 you better know em.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, at the same time I do appreciate that NASA is so safety conscious. After all, if I was in the wall I'd want the ambulance and the doctor both on their way at full speed.

I also appreciate Paul drilling SEAT HELMET HANS ROLL BAR into us over and over. I'm shopping for em now.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, guy in red civic - he's buying one now. He wouldn't watch the video of HANS vs no HANS on youtube but he got the point. Either 3pt+airbag or harness/HANS. You gotta choose.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'd go with a proper bar made by a shop that does this regularly. Not worth risking design/welds/etc to save a few bucks.

That being said, I really like my blackbird bar.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

These guys have supposedly built at least a few batches of 20-30 before, they just build to order. But yeah it's some dude in a garage and not hard dog or anything. Those unfortunately need to be imported and are expensive as hell as a result. I'll look around if there's a better way to get a good brand one but it might be that this is the only realistic option I have here.

Where are you located? For the record there's been lots of fitment issues with hard dog from what I've heard from friends. That's why I ended up going with Blackbird.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody have any actual, real-life experience with tire life on RE-71s? I know they are THE fast tire out now.

Running a 1.6 miata, so real slow. Would be moving up from AD08s. HPDE use only, some street.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Why do you suggest the RS4, esp in 195? I'm running a 15x8 FYI.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Do you really think the RE71s wear that fast? MY AD08s weren't new when I picked them up and I've done 5 days so far and they're doing great.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Who's coming to track night at NJMP tonight? :D :D :D :D :D

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm buying a SA helmet since I now will be running a 6pt and HANS (still need to order than HANS too) so I'm looking for something similar fit wise to what I've worn in the past without the ability to try one on before ordering.
I actually fit my helmets correctly size and shape wise, instead of flopping around like most people, so a proper fit, to me, is something that is tight, but creates no hot spots from the shell. It's been my experience that helmets basically break in a full size.

I've spent time in and fit well in:
Small Arai Vector 2
Small Shoei RF1100
Extra small Scorpion Exo400

I don't fit a Bell RS1 since it is too narrow across the crown. Gave one of those away.

I was looking at the HJC AR-10 III. Anyone have experience crossing over from motorcycles and worn these helmets?

I wore an EXO400/700 for over 5 years and an Arai Corsair RX-7 since on my bikes.

I moved to an AR-10 and love it. Go for it!

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
FYI You can continue to use an M helmet that you have, just add the HANS inserts and you're good to go. Not much use if you have a SNELL '15 M helmet to go to an SA unless you plan to wear a suit/etc.

My RX-7 was 2005 so it was time to get a newer one.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Nope, my HANS came with instructions to drill and add your washers. I'd keep your Arai if you like it and it's a 2010 or '15 rating.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Well, I'm basically a wreck.

Missed first track event this year bc car wasn't done.

"Its OK its only the first event"

Missed next event bc truck wasn't done.

"Its OK I'll get it done"

Missed event a few weeks later because car was broken due to a freak TO bearing failure. Put it back together. Missed next event bc I was trying to be nice and spend a weekend with the gf. Then realized HOLY poo poo ITS END OF JULY SEASON IS ALMOST OVER.

Then my clutch failed again. I was determined to at least make the last 3 events for the year. Pulled the trans last night, solved problem, went to sign up for VIR.

THIS EVENT IS FULL.

Gonna miss 3 events following that due to 2nd job I picked up specifically to pay for this stuff. That puts us into October.

10 years of putting this off and I find myself living on the east coast with access to a dozen tracks and I totally blew it. I've done 2 events an NJMP and one at Pocono. :sigh: What a joke of a season.

*climbs into hole until spring*

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

The Glen in September is calling you. Also I will only be driving that day so I'm very excite.

I signed up. That and Summit and maybe VIR in October.

:sigh: I really wanted to do a lot of days.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Roman Rambo posted:

Once I succeeded in doing a lot of days, but usually your story is my story. Broken car, cannot fix car in time, break the car at the track and miss the day, kill the car forever, have no money, have no time. This hobby rules except when it really sucks.

20 year old girl put her e46 m3 race car into the wall at Pocono last time I was there. Everything past the rear wheel was gone.

I later saw her hand a check to the shop owner who was trailering it back. She said she wouldn't miss a single event.

FML. :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

I'll be lucky if I get in another track day this year, I only got like, half of one done so far. Weddings :argh:

I hope this was one that included some track outside the infield because I have no idea where you could even hit the wall on the infield course.

Yep, she hit the wall entering the outfield. HARD. Really really hard.

Weddings is what keeps me away sometimes too but only because I'm working them to pay for this stuff (photographer). I quit attending weddings as a guest a long time ago.

honda whisperer posted:

Contact the organizers. Ask if you can fill any last minute cancellations. It's pretty normal for someone's truck to die the day before and call asking for a refund or rain check. If they have someone to fill the slot everyone wins.

I'm on the list of course. Just upset because OBVIOUSLY VIR would fill up. Obviously.