Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

I see that there. posted:

Age of Mythology?

I would pay significant amounts of money for a game that is basically dominions 3 with a modern UI and engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, I got the first Shogun 2 on a White Label Release a few years back and the BAI is non existant.

You got the what now? And I remember the BAI to be not that bad, it certainly made assaulting a river province a pain in the butt because it would line up its Army juuuuuust out of bow range and pin you into the bridgehead as soon as your first guy made it across.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
If, for whatever reason, you don't have Rome already, it is up for 1€. I got it just so I have it on steam (and get the English dub because the German one sucked. The Triarii sounded...unenthusiastic).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah but Romance isn't a 100% accurate historical record, but like the series based on the dude with the silly hat in my avatar stuff happened. Interesting stuff.

Besides, we all know after Rome 2 CA will give us another Medieval/Attempt at the 18th century.

I'm hoping for 15/16th century Italy, myself. Pike and shot is an era they haven't really visited.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not really, but why stop? (well, unless your territories are in open revolt) because the high end economic tech really rakes in the money.

Apparently after the first release of that mentioned Foreign Invasion mod the CSA is even getting representation to fight Federal troops on Japanese soil.

Irritating, a lot of Fall mini mods are still not on STEAM community yet.

I'm still surprised they didn't decide to go with an American Civil War game next. It is pretty much just an extensive reskin of FOTS, anyway, and it would probably sell really well, considering the popularity of ACW mods.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

shalcar posted:

It has always been a maximum of 20 units per land stack, although in Shogun 2 you can have up to 40 units on the field for each side at once, so if anything, you get the biggest battles out of the entire series in it, certainly bigger than anything Medieval 2 threw at you.

You can actually mod the savegame to allow an unlimited number of units on the field, but your performance tanks rather predictably.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

This was fixed a while ago in Shogun 2. All maps have dojos now (instead of only some of them), and if you control all the dojos for 10 minutes you auto-win. If you just collect the dojos then a camper will have to contest at least one of them, and the skirmishing almost always results in a full scale engagement because their only alternative is to throw units away one a time contesting points.

EDIT: Since it got me thinking about it, I'm going to share a classic tale of camper ownage. This is from a match shortly after release (so capping dojo's didn't cause victory, you had to kill the camper) on the infamous Okobe Gorge. My troops are in green and his are in red. I'll type out the chat in case it's hard to read.

Might be the same guy I fought. He sat on a hill and dared me to approach. Turns out that sitting next to the forest running all the way around the map can lead to unpleasant surprises.

He also got mad that I didn't charge into his perfectly placed killzone.

I mean, there is nothing wrong with taking a defensive position if you think you are outmatched. Attacking always comes with a penalty if your opponent knows what he is doing. But defending isn't camping. You still have to counter maneuver and look for pickoffs when one of his units is out of position.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

Loading into that battle was amazingly fast. Also, they are clearly redoing the scales of stats for this game:

I think the battle and the campaign map had nothing to do with each other, he said the battle was a historical one.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

As annoying as TWC is, it's still thousands of potential customers compared to the couple dozen or so who post regularly in this thread. I doubt they'd waste their time.

Well the Paradox guys post in their thread.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

R. Mute posted:

Y'know what I'd like? A Total War game in Sub-Sahara Africa or pre-colonial America. It would be neat.

Is there actually enough historcal research to make a game the scope of your avergae TW game? Last I heard the Europeans were very thorough in wiping out the cultures and records in thos areas, so it would probably be a themed fantasy game. Plus you lose all the sales from the white nationalists that want to see the world painted in the color of their country.

Not that this would necessarily be a bad thing.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
They would be insane not to include Legions. Its the equivalent of not having Samurai in Shogun.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Panzeh posted:

There are a lot of fantasy/sci fi strategy games out there, actually, but they're mostly designed by people who are more interested in just shoving in 'awesome' than bothering with things like balance. They add in more possibilities than historicals, but most of them are bad, kind of like Dominions 3's magic uber alles or Master of Magic's complete lack of internal balance.

Dominions: Total War could be pretty awesome, though. At least they have a metric fuckton of unique factions.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

While the 99% figure is an exaggeration, this man correct when he says that there is a rather bizarre trend of game developers being somewhere between bad and awful at their own games. I've never understood it, but it seems to be an undeniable truth.

They are playing 12 development builds a week, they just don't have the time to break the game wide open the same way players do. Besides, you design the game with certain assumptions in mind (which you may or may not be aware of). Other people obviously do not necessarily follow these assumptions and approach it unbiased.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I thought FOTS did Realm Divide very well, with both sides of the conflict deciding that this is it and rallying behind the largest factions. Of course, that is a fair bit harder if there are no two well defined sides.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

So what will be the next Total War game? Medieval 3? Modern Total War?

Fall of Rome/Rise of Rome. And last I heard they didn't really want to do anything with a three in it. Plus medieval naval battles are probably the most boring thing imaginable.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

World War 1: Total War.

Medieval naval battles were basically: ram into the other dude and board, right? Same as Shogun?

Yes, except you use sails instead of paddles. You know, bascially the worst combination of Empire and Shogun 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Odd, normally people flip out at clothes and demand more dicks and/or boobs in their mods.