Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

Speaking of Empire, what is the goon consensus on best Empire mod?

I always enjoyed Imperial Splendour myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Empire: Total War

424 hours played

Am I a bad person? :ohdear:

I've only started using mods for the last 50 hours or so.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you play a cavalry heavy game, the gunpowder TWs become much more dynamic! I'm not sure if I know how to play the infantry game in Napoleon at all.

Is there an advantage to having the high ground in an infantry shooting battle? Is there a point to doubling up a regiment like the AI does? Does infantry automatically avoid shooting into friendly infantry? I really can't tell, so I play around with horses instead.

Fighting on high ground gives you a pretty decent morale bonus, as well as better accuracy. As far as I can tell, friendly infantry will not hit each other when placed behind each other (I could be wrong in this regard).

It's funny, I generally play Empire/Napoleon with armies mainly comprised of infantry and artillery , with cavalry used only to scout out positions and harass the enemy.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't want to start a massive derail, but the Chinese did not "perfect" it by any means.

The Chinese invented gunpowder but didn't do much more than dabble in it when it came to military matters (they primarily used it for fireworks and poo poo). It was westerners who learned to actually use it for serious military purposes.

I mean, you could just look up "Chinese gunpowder weapons" and see that the Chinese did a lot more than just "fireworks and poo poo" with gunpowder. You know, things like the fire lance (precursor to all firearms), cast-iron HE explosive shells, cannons, and rocketry.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

Kingdoms has a New World scenario and it kicks rear end.

Yeah, I remember the Americas campaign. Lots of good moments running the Europeans out of the New World.

In regards to an Asian-themed TW game, one mod for Medieval 2 that caught my eye was All Under Heaven, which takes place during the age of the Southern Song and the Jin Dynasty ( 1180–1280).

Here's a WIP map of the mod so far.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

The only things I agree with him on are the silly amounts of dudes flying the air and the unit cards. Although when I say "agree" I mean that I don't consider them ideal, not that they ruin the game for me or something ridiculous. To address both of them...

1) Really, the sheer number of dudes flying into their was comical at times. Those must have sent half the Roman formation soaring 10 feet or more into the air. It just looks a little ridiculous

2) I don't like the unit cards either. I get that they want to emulate the aesthetic of the period but I'd rather just have a unit card that looks like the actual unit. In Shogun 2 it was alright because the drawings closely resembled the units they represented. I think I'd prefer if Rome 2 just did the same thing as Rome 1 and just used an actual picture of the unit than a whole mess of black and white cards.

The rest of his complains seem pretty frivolous. What does he want ships to do, crack over half an hour? The battlefield points might look "gamey" but they serve a mechanical purpose. He complains about the unit sizes but they'll obviously be adjustable like always. I also like how he complains about "over-sized cities" like they're supposed to be modeled to scale or something.

To be fair, it seemed like the unit cards followed a more Egyptian hieroglyphic design style. If anything, I'm hoping that each faction might have custom unit cards as well.

I'm not sure if Europa Barbarorum is to be trusted on this, but apparently those massive ballistae actually did exist. They were called 1 talent Stone Projectors, and were invented by the Greeks

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, they have a white nationalist on the twc forums. Hahahahaha

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

brocretin posted:

:siren::siren::torgue:DEALS SON!:torgue::siren::siren:

%25 off the PREORDER for Rome II on Greenmangaming (steam code) this weekend! (also civ 5 brave new world)

http://blog.playfire.com/2013/06/are-you-keane-for-new-code.html

Argh. This is why I should wait to pre-order things.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading about players having to deal with their factions internal politics, as well as civil wars. Now, if this is applicable to Egypt, could it be possible for a pro-native regime to overthrow the Ptolemaic dynasty and restore native rule? If so, it'd make sense that the new regime would want to use traditional symbols and clothing in order to give them more legitimacy.

That's at least one way I could see CA actually having their "ancient Egyptian" style make sense.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Really diggin' the Blemmyes faction symbol.

edit: it's pretty neat that CA implemented something like this.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mod sooner or later to remove the cliffs.

Because those things are hideous.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So can you modify your elephants on the fly, or are each of those variants faction specific?

"blade tusks" :black101:

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Peruser posted:

I wonder if the unit's look changes with armor uprgades

That's what I was thinking. I always did miss that with the newer TW games.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glass Hand posted:

But those are Indian elephants. :eng101:

CA didn't make any distinction between elephant types in RTW1, but maybe they are in RTW2 if they're calling it "Indicus" in design art. Who knows.

Seleucids/Bactria?

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's incredibly rare for me to be this excited for a game. September needs to get here sooner.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The thing I like about Ultimate General: Gettysburg is that the engine could easily simulate any line and shot battle from the Renaissance to even WW1, if it so wanted to. Hell, I'd be down paying $15 for an UG: Verdun or Waterloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gobblecoque posted:

Thank God, all the better to annoy all the dumb Eastern European nationalist nerds on TWC.

TWC is already freaking out about no Great Moravia and Wendish factions, despite the fact that the Moravians weren't really a thing until 100 years after the start date, and the Wends pretty much just ended up as a Holy Roman Speedbump.