Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Color Printer posted:

Good lord some of these room layouts. If you walk into a room with eight hopping spider heads and a bunch of holes, and you've only got one heart left, you may as well just hit Escape and quit right there. Some of these rooms are just totally loving unfair.

My personal favorite lately has been the one that's a bunch of 1 tile wide vertical strips with pits on the end of each column of rocks and like 4 of those stupid masks/hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I believe in the actual code there's a secret for Conquest but it does not function properly and is therefore not needed to get Plat God.

Old Thrashbarg
Dec 18, 2003
With the dead cat, I died 9 times in a row without being able to do anything about it. I respawned in a room with those spike square things, and by the time I got my control back, I'd already be dead.

gently caress this game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Picking up Lard as Maggie is a slow death. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the topic of unfair rooms, I do wonder about his decision to design them like this. Most of the pre-expansion levels/rooms were all designed in such a way that you could manage to not get hit even without flying or insane damage bonus items. I thankfully did all of the no-damage achievments before this expansion, and with the exception of a few rooms (laser eyeballs in the corners) I didn't feel like the game was being plain unfair.
Now there are so many rooms where you literally can't escape getting hit without having a flying item, and many more which are completely bonkers like the mentioned mask/heart room with nothing but vertical stripes of walkable terrain. The hearts have far too much HP (hell, even the Necronomicon can't kill them!), and the masks are way too fast.

Another really annoying thing with the expansion is that the pathfinding AI has figured out that glitching through blocks or gaps to get to you is a good tactic, and several enemies (especially spiders and greed heads) will do this way too often. Speaking of greed heads, I hate the mechanic where touching them takes away your coins, not getting hurt. This means that if you swipe past one, you can easily lose all your money instantly (since you're constantly colliding with it).

This game is a complete mess, and Ed is the worst person ever. It's still a fantastic new genre (?) and I've spent way too much time playing it :(

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aha, I've figured out the problem I was having. I skipped ??? to try with Samson first. I'd been going in order, starting with Isaac and heading to the right. Samson's given me hell, so I figured I'd try a dead kid run. First try today with ???. Didn't get the Polaroid until the Cathedral, after putting 19 out of 20 cents into a fortune teller. I'd run into two others but they hadn't paid out.

Game said I got Eve's Bird, achievement was Samson's Lock.

I can't remember what's left, but Samson'll pop it when I beat it with him. Despite my crabbiness, trying to do it before the patch. Doin' this poo poo the legit, stupid way! :downs:

Only Samson remains. And man, he's still a piece o' work. Rage won't help if you get no tears/damage up to really put it to good use. Do all characters start with the same base luck? Cain maybe not, but it seems Samson's strangely unlucky for me. Why no, I don't want a Portable Slot Machine and Coat Hanger from the first floor and no keys to get anything out of the second, thanks!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I've made the decision that, if I'm low on bombs, I'm going to prioritize blowing up discolored rocks over trying to find the secret room. The Rock remains one of the most useful powerups in the game and almost always provides huge boost to your survivability wherever you are.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Your Computer posted:

It's still a fantastic new genre (?)

Classic Zelda Dungeon Style (1986) with Roguelike Mechanics/Rules (1980).

New!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Rocketlex posted:

I've made the decision that, if I'm low on bombs, I'm going to prioritize blowing up discolored rocks over trying to find the secret room. The Rock remains one of the most useful powerups in the game and almost always provides huge boost to your survivability wherever you are.

You should do that anyways as there's a decent chance you'll get bombs from the rock.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

poop posted:

Well, apparently Brimstone + Polyphemus is insane. It takes forever to charge but I was one hitting bosses.

I had it with guppy's head and the nun's hat (habit) - anything that didn't die instantly to brimstone would die to the flies. Pretty good combo.

It's a fantastic combination. Walk into a boss room with it fully charged and laugh as the bosses all die instantly. Using the book of belial, mom's heart died in 2 shots.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Okay, gently caress the Mask of Infamy. I can deal with a lot of bullshit, and even though I complain about a lot, I still have fun playing the game.

But holy mother of god that boss just grabs the fun dial and turns it all the way down to "gently caress this goddamn bullshit, holy loving poo poo". I was running around that rear end in a top hat with the Book of Belial, The Small Rock, The Pact, my fire rate and and damage were all high according to the pause screen. And even though I actually managed to hit him a few times, I basically was running around for a solid three+ minutes and I still. Couldn't. Kill him.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Okay, gently caress the Mask of Infamy. I can deal with a lot of bullshit, and even though I complain about a lot, I still have fun playing the game.

But holy mother of god that boss just grabs the fun dial and turns it all the way down to "gently caress this goddamn bullshit, holy loving poo poo". I was running around that rear end in a top hat with the Book of Belial, The Small Rock, The Pact, my fire rate and and damage were all high according to the pause screen. And even though I actually managed to hit him a few times, I basically was running around for a solid three+ minutes and I still. Couldn't. Kill him.

If I ever get mask of infamy without a piercing shot of some kind, I usually quit. I just cannot be hosed to fight that bullshit.

Seriously, why the gently caress did he take the most annoying enemy type and turn it into a boss?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Color Printer posted:

-Stay in the center of the room
-Wait for him to charge you
-Sidestep
-Step back and shoot him in the back quickly

Absolutely do not try to chase him around.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

-Sidestep

It wasn't really me chasing him around so much as me trying to not die considering I had one heart left for most of the battle.

I did attempt this strategy but hitting him in the back sometimes seems to be...dicey. The hit detection tends to not be your friend in that battle (except whenever you hit him in the side when you're not even trying).

EDIT: I wish I could have recorded that because there were several (and that's a big understatement) shots that really should have damaged him, but didn't.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 24, 2012

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

-Sidestep

Good luck with that if you have the sacred heart, it makes the shots too slow to hit it without wasting 10 minutes and hoping for a lucky shot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mind Spew posted:

Good luck with that if you have the sacred heart, it makes the shots too slow to hit it without wasting 10 minutes and hoping for a lucky shot.

Or just having any character whose speed and/or shot speed isn't high enough to hit him before he turns again. I've fought him for over 10 minutes and then died..

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Oh boy. :what: What's the loot table for curse rooms anyways?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

apophenium posted:

Oh boy. :what: What's the loot table for curse rooms anyways?

Do you get 18 lives for that, or just the 9?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Fairly sure Bloody Lust is actually bugged to show up before you unlock it. I'm not sure what Conquest's unlock is.

There's a picture with Conquest in the game files saying that "You've unlocked.. A Forgotten Horseman" but it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything. :iiam:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Maide posted:

Do you get 18 lives for that, or just the 9?

You get 10 for cat + 1up, so you'd get 18 in theory, but I wonder.

I guess the game can handle you getting multiple bood bags, so v:shobon:v

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
You just get 9 total, and if you lose any before picking up a second Guppy you go back up to 9.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I disagree with the people saying that Epic Fetus is an instant-win for the simple reason that it causes the game to absolutely poo poo itself when you're fighting Mom. Seriously, I could barely control my cursor or myself. It was all I could do not to kill myself with my own bombs.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

I disagree with the people saying that Epic Fetus is an instant-win for the simple reason that it causes the game to absolutely poo poo itself when you're fighting Mom. Seriously, I could barely control my cursor or myself. It was all I could do not to kill myself with my own bombs.

I once grabbed Epic Fetus and Mom's Bra and thought I had an instant win-button for bosses. Turns out the freezing effect causes your cursor to just stop like a second after you start firing, so your range is pathetically short.

FIX YOUR GAME ED :negative:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rocketlex posted:

Epic fetus plus candle is like super win, seriously the candle needs more love.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Samson. gently caress his slow firing speed, gently caress his ungodly low damage, and gently caress my poor luck with finding good items when using him. I had what I thought was a pretty bangin' run! I found the Polaroid on Caves 1! I had the X-Ray Specs, Transcendence, 30 bombs with Mr. Mega damage, and a 1-Up and I still failed before even entering the Chest because I'd had to burn most of my bombs just to reach him, and then I basically had to bomb him to do damage worth a poo poo to him.

Bastard was spamming his Death Blossom, which wasn't helping. I got him to phase 3. But I had no bombs. Ever try fighting Isaac while using base damage Samson? I'll put it this way: I couldn't kill a loving thing. I respawned outside the boss room and I just gave up. No point going back in with zero bombs, and I wasn't about to bounce around the Cathedral getting my rear end kicked as I desperately searched for a blue rock in the insane hope of finding a small rock.

There's nothing more frustrating than getting the Polaroid and coming up short because of a lack of damage.

tl;dr: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Dear Guppy,

What the gently caress has happened to me? Please send help.

Isaac

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Funny enough I think that's roughly the size Isaac would be inside of the chest.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Just had an amazing Samson run. Minor damage upgrades, cat's paw, one-up in a secret room. Then hit a devil chest and got teleported to a devil room with guppy's head and the dead cat. Grabbed the head, grabbed the cat, died from having no hearts and got popped back into existence one room back (from the 1-up) with the paw, nine lives, the cat suit, Hairball unlock/achievement, the full deal. Next item room was Polyphemus. loving done. Nothing else in the game stood a chance, and for whatever reason Polyphemus counts as an asston of individual hits so I was shooting out flies like I had the mulligan (I'm assuming catsuit trait) non-stop in addition to the giant fuckoff hateball blood tear.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

I would pay money to get rid of that fucker from the game.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
New "fun" bug.

Those enemies that have long... necks? The ones that break apart into a body and a head that spits at you. Well, somehow it was two bodies attached by the 'neck' and then there were three invisible heads that killed me while I was trying to figure out why the doors weren't opening.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Did Samson get a buff so he starts with improved shot speed?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Technology 2 really, really weak, or do I not get something to it?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Sockser posted:

Did Samson get a buff so he starts with improved shot speed?
I believe that's correct.

Anatharon posted:

Is Technology 2 really, really weak, or do I not get something to it?

It sets your damage back to minimum after picking it up iirc. It's good if you find it early and get some damage upgrades. If you find it late in the game, it's probably not worth getting.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ChibiSoma posted:

gently caress Samson. gently caress his slow firing speed, gently caress his ungodly low damage, and gently caress my poor luck with finding good items when using him. I had what I thought was a pretty bangin' run! I found the Polaroid on Caves 1! I had the X-Ray Specs, Transcendence, 30 bombs with Mr. Mega damage, and a 1-Up and I still failed before even entering the Chest because I'd had to burn most of my bombs just to reach him, and then I basically had to bomb him to do damage worth a poo poo to him.

Bastard was spamming his Death Blossom, which wasn't helping. I got him to phase 3. But I had no bombs. Ever try fighting Isaac while using base damage Samson? I'll put it this way: I couldn't kill a loving thing. I respawned outside the boss room and I just gave up. No point going back in with zero bombs, and I wasn't about to bounce around the Cathedral getting my rear end kicked as I desperately searched for a blue rock in the insane hope of finding a small rock.

There's nothing more frustrating than getting the Polaroid and coming up short because of a lack of damage.

tl;dr: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Obviously you should demand McMillen send you a fixed copy of the game and then refuse him and curse him out if he actually responds.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

ShadeofDante posted:

New "fun" bug.

Those enemies that have long... necks? The ones that break apart into a body and a head that spits at you. Well, somehow it was two bodies attached by the 'neck' and then there were three invisible heads that killed me while I was trying to figure out why the doors weren't opening.

Nah, that's an old one. It doesn't happen often but it's happened since early in the vanilla game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well, gently caress me then I guess.

10/10, Edmund. You got me good.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

CJacobs posted:

Well, gently caress me then I guess.

10/10, Edmund. You got me good.

Rooms like this make me wish there was some kind of "Demon Friend" item. It would work like the Bum Friend, only it would pick up hearts rather than coins.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Widow is way too hard to be a basement 1 boss. :negative:

For a boss that's the prehumous version of Scolex, Pin is almost insultingly easy though.

edit: I've had to start again, so I don't have anything unlocked which makes the Wrath of the Lamb stuff more annoying. Those stupid super-troll bombs or whatever. :argh:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 25, 2012

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Widow's alright as long as you move in a right angle from your last position when she jumps. I usually ignore the nubs as she's got pretty low health and you can usually finish her before they spawn more than a couple of spiders each.

Does anyone know if the Pony boss been buffed? I had one that fired the red exploding bombs more or less continuously, and it used to only do that if you went too close. It made for an interesting time on a 9 lives run anyway :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For the Widow I just hug it, it jumps set distances and if you're at its side it literally just hops over you harmlessly.

• Locked thread