Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alteisen posted:

One thing I'd like to know is what system is in place that decides the items that will appear.

Take transcendence, 88 mom kills, I've seen it once. Tons of replay as Isaac, flipping items with the D6, no transcendence.

The way I understand it every item is placed into a "pool" -- Devil Room, Item Room, Secret Room, Boss Reward, etc. and some items have multiple copies placed in a pool which gives them a higher frequency of appearance. Once you've encountered an item, whether you've picked it up or not, it won't show up again -- this includes items you roll into other items with the D6. If you completely exhaust a pool of items, like you've seen every single Devil Room or Angel Room item, I think it'll start picking items from all the other pools at random to show up there. So I guess by this logic it's possible to see something like Transendence in an item room if you've already seen every item room-unique item available but it's still incredibly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Alteisen posted:

There's one rather elaborate theory that I've seen an image off.

It suggests that Isaac did have a sister(Maggy) and she died cancer, hence why you can find an item called cancer in the game, also when you unlock maggy you get maggy's wig as the item, there's also an item called sister maggy in the game.

That stuff with the wig actually makes a ton of sense wow

edit: Also the final ending seemed kind of "happy" to me, honestly? That very last polaroid? It was kind of refreshing after everything else in this game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

limited posted:

I used it on my third play through on womb 2 out of curiosity to see what would happen.

It put me straight into Sheol even though I hadn't unlocked it yet. :stare:

The RNG hates me so bad still. When I'm playing legit my runs are always terrible and nothing drops ever, and when I use the CE to give myself infinite health I'm suddenly overflowing with coins, keys and bombs. :argh:

You can get to Sheol without "unlocking" it, you just have to get lucky and have a devil room spawn on Womb 2 with the same odds as it showing up on any other floor. After 10 mom deaths it's guaranteed to appear there though

edit: Not really sure when the Cathedral entrance starts spawning but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get there before 10 mom deaths and after that point it's... maybe guaranteed? Again, unsure

goferchan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 23, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

So here's how to gently caress up a perfectly good Eve run. You start by being reasonably lucky, acquiring all the trappings of a game that looks like it'll go far – find several Tear Ups, three orbitals, the Book of Revelations and lots of soul hearts besides, the Battery, make two Devil Room deals that leave you in perma-Whore mode – hell, you even manage to grab Mom's Purse along the way. Good stuff!

On Depths level 2, after bumping off Mom, you find yourself thinking about which of your trinkets to drop for the Polaroid. One of them must go, so you swap your current trinkets around a few times, then settle on one of them.

Here's the important part.

You pick up that trinket again, then hop straight through the trap door. For maximum effect, I suggest looking at the Polaroid you just left behind and thinking, "what the flying gently caress?"

If the game is feeling especially helpful, it'll then proceed to drop three other trinkets in the Womb, none of which are the Polaroid. In fact, it'll probably do its best to keep you from ever seeing it ever again during this run, even if you clear every single level up to and including the Cathedral, and despite the fact that you've seen plenty duplicate Polaroids during previous runs. You will, of course, wipe the floor with Isaac because you're spitting out bloody tears at a positively ludicrous rate and have more soul hearts than God, and you will be perfectly confident you would've wiped the floor with ??? as well. If only...

:negative:

If it helps, unless I'm mistaken about the way items spawn and the Mom polaroid is some special conditional drop, there was no change of the polaroid appearing again after you skipped it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Does Polyphemus actually max your damage? Or does it just make it really big? I have a Judas run where I picked up Tech 2 in Cellar, and a battery in the shop on the same level. I figured that would give me constant Book of Belial (woo!). Then I snagged Polyphemus in Caves, giving me the ever-amazing tech 2/poly combo. Does using Book of Belial do anything for me at this point?

It doesn't max your damage- if I recall correctly, the max for damage is really, really high. Also I think the book acts as a multiplicative and not additive damage increase so it should help a LOT

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I had an insane weapon combo with rage, chocolate milk, polyphemus, sacred heart, and a couple tears and damage ups -- and I lost literally 7 soul hearts and died to mask of infamy. My speed wasn't too high and I had no other damage sources (even bombs) besides the slow, enormous homing bullets. Maybe got one hit on him the entire fight, which required a lot of luck and dancing around very close to him -- it was almost literally impossible to hit him in the back since they did that AI change for him and the knights.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jedit posted:

You can get hurt by a spike room door without passing through it.

That damage won't pierce through and ignore your soul hearts, though. I think blood donation is the only way, or at least by far the most reliable -- maybe bad trip pills? Or demon beggars

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

All that said, I got 4x meat boy on a fresh save with not that many hours played this afternoon, so, luck is luck

edit: No 9 Lives exploit, I don't know how to do that (but I would like to learn)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I remember hearing that if you have a 1up and a dead cat, the 1up will trigger instead of the cat if you have more than 1 heart max HP.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

HellCopter posted:

Increasing range with My Reflection doesn't actually increase the range of the tears, it just makes them go for a second turn.

:ughh:
that sounds like it would be really tight though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This game is really, really hard starting a fresh save file on the current patch + expansion -- took me forever to get my first Satan kill or even do a lot of the basic challenges that only go through the depths. WAY harder than WotL was at release (albeit with pretty much everything from the base game unlocked on my part)-- I was sick of seeing the grail and prayer cards all the time when the expansion launched, too, but the game is a lot harder with the new balanced drop rate , especially when you don't have everything unlocked.

Edit: I'm still having fun and I appreciate the difficulty, but keep in mind I know what every item does and I'm pretty familiar with all the game's quirks . It's hard not to wonder if it wouldn't be overwhelming for a brand new player, though, especially one who purchased the expansion off-the-bat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Also! Just discovered something. Looking at the code, I was thinking that The Nail and the Book of Belial shouldn't stack on themselves (like, say, if you're using them with The Habit)....and they don't. I'm sorry to say you can't jack your power up infinitely with the Book of Belial and the Habit. (But it can still be a good combination because you can use it more often)

Was wondering about this just yesterday, thanks

Edit: with the multiplicative nature of the boost if I'm playing Samson will I end up with higher damage if I kill a few trash mobs and invoke Bloody Lust before using the Book of Belial?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ugh I'm still trying to get cathedral clears and I wasted an Eve epic fetus run -- I beat Mom's heart and a god room showed up and I dropped through the hole inside thinking it would take me to the cathedral, but sure enough, ended up in Sheol which i'd already cleared with her :( don't make my mistake

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

If I am using a controller. Is there any way I can set it up so I can just have 1 fire button that will shoot in the direction I am hitting on the Dpad (this would be preferred)? Or alternately is there any way to set it up like a dual stick shooter?

Also, is there any way to tell what any of the power ups do in game, or am I just going to have to go online to find out?

You don't want to do the former; the game would be almost impossible if you could only shoot in the direction you are moving (I think this is what you're saying?) but the latter is definitely doable. Mess around with joy2key.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

omeg posted:

Never had a single crash in 200+ hours.
same -- definitely some slowdown, and a handful of times I've seen the long hang-up between floors but it always corrects itself and lets me continue after about one minute

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I finally beat the Chest (just once, with Isaac) and I feel like I'm about done with this game -- at this point it's hard for me to have fun when I'm compulsively rerolling items and trying to game the system for some broken combo every time, it's a headache. Definitely got my moneys worth but man, when you unlock the D6 it's hard to play the game the same way anymore. Wake me up when news about the remake hits, though

Edit: might as well brag about my winning item combo tho: quad shot, bent spoon, polyphemus, a ton of tears ups and damage ups INCLUDING cancer (with the trinket purse, obviously)-- it's fun to actually beat the game using (albiet extremely powerful) tears, I feel like I'm kinda cheesing it when I win with the knife or lasers or epic fetus or brimstone

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 15, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

omeg posted:

It took me 200+ hours to platinum Isaac and I didn't play since then. I'll wait for the remake.
Now I'm in the same type of addiction with FTL. :v:

FTL is great and I hope the sort of adapted-roguelike feel becomes a trend -- I wouldnt exactly call Isaac a roguelike but it borrows a lot of the elements that make them exciting and adapts them in a similar way to Faster Than Light , it feels lke

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IUG posted:

Wow, I hope there's a way to keep the art the way it is now if there are any more additions to the PC/Mac version of the game. I don't like any of those styles at all. I love the details in the current art style, and that completely loses the game's current look. All of those remind me a a Game Gear/Gameboy Color game.

I think it's been pretty explicitly stated that there won't be any more updates to the existing game-- the remake will be released on PC and (hopefully!) Mac though! I don't mind the "demake" style though personally, and Edmund gives a brief explanation for his reasoning in changing the art style in that Gamasutra post-mortem linked a page or so ago.

Edit: and keep in mind they're just mockups... the remake is about a year away, I think he said they're shooting for "end of 2013". Recent games like Hotline Miami have surprised me in how much detail can be packed into, like you said, the graphics of a gameboy color game

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 1, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Level 2 meat boy is pretty crazy if you have a flight item and can just hang out on some rocks though-- damage is nuts, I can't imagine having 2. I always end up fuckin it up atrociously in one way or another when I try the black cat boss fight trick and accidentally grabbing soul hearts and burning wasting bombs or grabbing HP boss drops too early

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I'm trying to get better at this game, but I must have pissed on the RNG's cornflakes in a previous life. So far my worst luck has been getting no keys at all on the first four floors, and the 1st treasure being Kamakaze.

Do things get better as you unlock more stuff, or will I keep seeing crummy items 90% of the time?

If my first treasure is COMPLETE poo poo (like, Kamikaze, for example) I just restart and feel no shame about it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Le0 posted:

Wow the DLC is really harder than the vanilla game and more buggy. With the vanilla version I could often get to the depths quite easily but now that I have the DLC I barely get 3-4 levels deep. Do I suck that much or what?

Also the new ennemies introduced by the DLC are way harder, boss as well. Those drat spiders get me everytime with their huge jump...

Is there a way to start the game without the DLC? With my first mom kill I unlocked a level or something that I will probably never see with Wrath of the Lamb

Some of the alternate expansion levels and bosses (which are subbed in randomly for the base-game ones) are definitely objectively harder but for the most part the new items are superior so it balances it out a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Other than waiting for another unholy edition release is there a way to get a drm free OSX version of this and the exp?

Yeah, buy it on Steam. It's just a little flash executable dmg you can pull it out of the folder and stick it on a USB drive or whatever and play it on any computer fine.

edit: Also it was available in the Humble Bundle a couple months ago but I guess it's too late for that, now...

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 27, 2013

• Locked thread