Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here we go again.

Calling it now; the first death will be either me or Markus Bad Munki. The fighters are always the first to go in evil biomes.

EDIT: Already getting confused about who is who :downs:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Munki posted:

Oh gosh I got so excited that I request dwarfing before realizing I was in the freakin' embark group! Hot diggity dog! And a big strong ox of a military dwarf? I can dig it.

You and me are all that stands between the fort and a horde of zombies. Fun times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure vamp naming was fixed, though other issues wi9th them are still around for sure. I wonder if they still accuse random pets of draining blood from bodies. They seem to always try and pin it on my steel golems.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I find it funny that everyone is worried about goblins when the fort is sitting right next to an evil biome. I'd be more concerned about the inevitable undead.

Glumprong would be good to make bolts out of since its heavier than normal wood.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rurik posted:

It would be hilarious if that kestrel would be to die somehow over there and return as flying undead bird of... death. I think we'll be seeing some wildlife from Over There relatively soon anyway.

The pantheon is really great. Tithleth and Ugath have especially appropriate names.

That's why he needs to let me go hunting! Every animal we let go by is a potential zombie! :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Triskelli posted:

Animals are only zombified after they've been killed, aren't they? Outside of huskifying rains, of course.

Yes, but if those animals fly into the deadly dust we'll get dust husks which are a hundred times worse than normal zombies/

In other words;

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress the undead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

People ask me a lot of questions. Questions like "what is the best way to cripple a goblin so you can terrify all his friends?". Course having been killing for over 65 years I know the answer, but I ain't inclined to tell no one. Why? Cause that ain't the question you should be asking me. Any dumb dwarf who's spent a year in the army can tell you how to fight a goblin, cause that's all we do. Now instead you should be asking "how are we gonna stop a horde of undead ghouls from tearing us apart?".

The answer? Kill everything. Every last animal that ain't been tamed needs to die. Why? Cause they ain't smart enough to stay out of the evil. I mean the real evil, not some silly moral concept of right and wrong. The kind that poisons the land and twists critters into horrible things. That is the biggest threat to all civilized folk. But of course nobody listens to me. They just say I'm a crazy old man and go back to killing goblins and elves and whoever else offended them at the time. But I know what the real threat is. One day, the sky is gonna be covered in undead kestrels and all the dwarves will come running to me, begging for me to save them. But I won't be able to, cause nobody listened.

That's how the worlds gonna end. Might as well kill some zombies before it happens though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leperflesh posted:

No. Honestly I spent like a week thinking "hell yeah land of the lost dwarf fortress" but ultimately I decided that it would have been a lot of effort (because the only dino packs I can find online kind of suck and include stupid things or are incomplete) for not really that much payoff (you can be eaten by a dino instead of a jabberer but ultimately it's the same thing).

Hey, I could have made dinosaurs if you asked. Though Toady already kind of solved the problem of there not being many creatures, so long as you don't mind there being animal man versions of practically everything now.

Beware the skeletal kestrel men!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JollyPubJerk posted:

You could add Dinosaurs as an addition that is only found in spawns on Necromancers found in caves. That could overcome the :effort:

As far as I'm aware that's impossible. The only way you could sort of do that is to have necromancers turn other creatures/corpses into dinosaurs through an interaction, but then there would be other problems. Mainly the dinosaurs attacking the necromancer due to oddities in fortress mode AI.

This is a weird discussion.

VVVV Given that there are a ton of normal animals and DF I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 25, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I always thought of beak dogs as hairless chocobos from hell. With pretty rainbow skin.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SourceElement posted:

Regarding dinotalk, aren't theropods, dimetradons, and pterodactyls already a base type of procedurally generated creature? If we're really lucky, we could have one of those as a forgotten beast eventually show up!

Yeah there are tons of creatures in the game that only show up as procedurally generated monsters. I'm pretty sure one of the forgotten beasts in gemclod was a dinosaur.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For the record, [TRAINABLE] doesn't let you tame animal. [TRAINABLE] allows an animal to be trained for either war or hunting. if it doesn't also have the [PET] tag it won't matter since you wouldn't be able to tame them in the first place.

Most animals already have either [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], the later of which is bugged (yet was still applied to new creatures :psydwarf:) due to the dungeon master never arriving. A lot of them don't have [TRAINABLE], and honestly I don't think they should. It'd be pretty silly for dwarves to be able to herd stuff like war porcupines into battle.

Rurik posted:

Your entry reminded me of something, so I changed it a bit.

I thought of that but decided against it since I feel stupid referencing stuff I've never read.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pickled Tink posted:

The dungeon master was removed in 0.34.06 when the training mechanics change came in. Now you can train wild animals, but they revert over time. Check out the devlog. The relevant entries are down in march, starting on the seventh.

Also, that devlog is often times hilarious. The log for 04/12/2012 is awesome.

Guh, I completely forgot that he changed the function of [PET_EXOTIC]. I was just so used to it being broken and pointless that him changing it was pretty shocking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shukaro posted:

I wonder if the flying creature AI works with trained stuff like giant eagles. :clint:

The AI for flying creatures gets broken when you tame them. At least, that's what the wiki says. I've noticed some tame creatures will fly but only in specific circumstances. A goose kept flying into my cave kraken breeding chamber and stealing the next box inside it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you don't mind me asking, what biome is the fort in?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leperflesh posted:

The Hill of Rewarding: warm calm temperate savanna. Northmost edge tiles: The Fields of Vice: warm sinister temperate savanna.

Why'd you go for the clam biomes? I can't play anything but savage now becuase they're more interesting.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shorter Than Some posted:

Yeah but the problem is it doesn't just rule out dusk husks but all other syndromes as well. Would it be too spoilerish for Leperflesh to tell us whether he has tested the cloud for dust husks or not? Also are all clouds from the same evil region the same?

Leperflesh posted:

Consequently, I actually don't know (yet) what our mist does. Your guess is as good as mine. I hope it's interesting!

There's your answer. I propose chaining up someone something in the mist to see what it does.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That Leperfish is such a pain. Spends all day whining about goblins or some other nonsense that don't matter none to me. We're sitting here out in the middle of nowhere and he's more worried about green skins than the monsters lurking across the river. Bad Munki saw a horrible one the other day. It stood on two legs like a man but looked like a furry devil. It didn't attack now, but it won't be long before an entire horde of them descends upon us, I'm sure.

Right now I'm trying to root out any evil in the fort. Gotta make sure none of that corruption spreads here. I think the turtles from the pond might be zombies. I mean sure they look normal, but something seems off about them. Urist won't touch them and he'll eat just about anything so something is wrong. Gotta watch them, make sure they're safe. Leperfish just want some to build the fishery but he's a fool to be so hasty. I'm not bringing any of these things into the fort until I know they're not evil! There's already evil everywhere, we can't let it get us...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Kittens? Well obviously we now have a way to test what the murky fog does. Have markus chain one up in the evil biome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

These dwarves ain't right. A bunch of new folk showed up, and some of they seem to be a few eggs short of a roc's nest...or however that expression is supposed to go. Point is they could be crazy. Some of them walked right towards the blighted lands without no protection and drank heartily from the putrid waters. Then they walked right back like it was nothing. Who the hell does that? I'll tell you who; creatures of the night. I think some of them might be in league with evil. Or they're just insane. Either way, we gotta keep a close eye on them.

This Fitzy Fitz guy is probably their leader. He's been involved with a bunch of cults and is always going on about death and other grim crap. A real overseer would keep him under close watch, but of course Leperfish just lets him go unchecked. I sure as poo poo wouldn't. drat fool won't even let me go hunting yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

aldantefax posted:

ahhhhh

all the normalized ground tiles make me think i'm looking at open space

BEDS ARE FLOATING IN MIDAIR

Seriously. I am gettin weirded out by these "graphics".

Oh good it isn't just me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leperflesh posted:

Tomorrow, June 29th, there probably won't be an update. I mean, I'm gonna work from my laptop and maybe on the plane it'll all get done and then I'll post from the hotel on friday night but it's unlikely.

Saturday, June 30th, there will definitely be an update. I have my work laptop, I have access to my wife's laptop, and I've actually already taken a bunch of screenshots and poo poo so it's mostly a matter of editing and writing and I can do that even if I have any problems running DF.

Sunday there will probably be an update, and it'll probably be the final update for my turn. If not, then there will definitely be an update Monday, and that one will definitely be the last one (unless it's not for some weird reason I can't predict).

Well based on what you said before the LP was posted, I can conclude that the next update won't be until Tuesday :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm rooting for Urist the dog.

Hell yeah :hf:

Though I get the feeling at least on person is going to have their pet die and then the corpse will come back to kill them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sam. posted:

That's not a dwarf, that's a short human. Dwarves have beards.

Females don't in Dwarf Fortress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I wish Leperfish would stop lying through his teeth. Called everyone into the hall today and gave some grand speech about the true purpose of Bronzestabbed and blah blah blah. Bottom line is he wants us to kill a neromancer. I'm all for that, nothing good comes from those corpse worshiping loons. My problem with the man comes from his approach to the whole issue. He kept going on about how this necromancer is the source of all evil or something, which is just silly. And then some crap about goblins worshiping them? I ain't never heard of nothing like that. Killing this necromancer isn't going to solve any problems outside of this horrid place. But of course all the idiots in this place bought into every word he said. You shouldn't have to lie to a dwarf to get him to fight the undead.

Unless he really believes all this nonsense, in which case we'll probably all be led to our death by this fool.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 1, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rurik posted:

:aaa:

Wow, to think that this kind of procedurally generated game now has this kind of setting and story. This LP is no longer about dwarves just doing stuff in a fort and about emergent gameplay, it has a purpose.

Though there are no scripted events so it's really unlikely the Necro King will appear to us at some point.

Not sure how spoilery some might consider this, so better safe than sorry;

Embarking near a necromancer's tower means they have the potential to show up with an undead siege, which can happen at any time. So while he's not guaranteed to come it is pretty likely he'll show up at some point. Just have to hope it isn't next month :v:

VVVV If a certain someone let me train my marksman skill it would be a lot easier :argh:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 1, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pickled Tink posted:

That is not how evil regions work. Evil regions randomly get one of three different types of condition. In order from least to most horrible, they get clouds of SUBSTANCE (Like Bronzestabbed), or they get Rain of HORRIBLE SUBSTANCE, or they can get the nastiest of the lot where everything dead rises to attack the living (In these regions, butchering a cow will result in a hollow cow skin and a hollow cow hair attacking you. Butchering breaks up the skeleton and meat so no skeleton or zombie).

You can get multiple if you embark on multiple evil biomes. I assume Leperflesh did not do so here.

That's not how they work. Corpse resurrection is an inherit trait of all evil biomes. What type of weather you get depends on the region. Some of them have multiple weather types. One of my last evil biome embarks had half-elf blood rain and heinous fog.

EDIT: Unless that actually isn't the case, the wiki isn't entirely clear. Still, if Bronzestabbed is in an evil biome that is merely sinister and has not resurrecting corpses it is the wimpiest, most pathetic hell hole ever. The murk might no even do anything.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 1, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pickled Tink posted:

Ok. Another test, another 2x2 evil embark. This one is the necromantic zone. One indicator I have gotten in every necromantic aligned zone is undead animals entering the map, and only undead animals. In this case, I got burrowed inside and left my horses to fight a war against the re-animating undead that lasted until early summer when the zombie skunks and kestrels called for reinforcements and the pack of zombie emus managed to eventually wear down and kick my horses to death. The horses are now a part of the dead horde. :(

This result supports the 1 effect per evil biome hypothesis, as I have had no rains or clouds. Will let it run till autumn to confirm results.

Given Leperflesh got regular non-undead kangaroos north of the river, I am forced to conclude that the evil region north of the river does not raise the dead. Do not lose hope people, it may well create husks (which would be worse).

Okay, I know this isn't right. I've had maps with both undead and living animals entering it. It had corpse resurrection as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Turns out Leperfish is- and I can't say I'm all surprised by this- is a massive coward. He led us all out here, gave grand speeches about our work here and overcoming the enemy, and then the second one of those enemies actually shows up he gives up and is looking for someone else to do his job. Typical. Nobles will take credit for all the accomplishments of a fortress and then look for someone else to handle the hard poo poo for them. We don't need a sniveling fool like him in charge. We need someone who has strong will. Someone who isn't afraid to face evil itself. Someone who doesn't order us all to HIDE FROM A TINY LITTLE BIRD ZOMBIE!

I mean jeez if there was a whole swarm of them I could understand, but it is one zombie bird. It's like he has never seen an undead before.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

markus_cz posted:

Hooray for Leperfish, long live the next overseer!

Can we make wishes now?

Because I think the LP is ripe for a big change of pace now. While I did love Leperfish's updates, I don't think another year of the same would be entertaining. I can only spend so much time reading about day-to-ady workings of the fortress, designating stockpiles, ordering poo poo from traders, building fisheries and making roasts. Leperfish made it sound interesting thanks to his writing, but I'm afraid it would soon get boring now.

So whoever ends up being the new overseer, my advice is - do NOT write about menial things AT ALL, unless they're really important. We've seen it so many times already, both in other LPs and in our own games. Find other stuff to write about.

Fortunately, there seems to be some drama conveniently looming just above the fortress.

What exactly do you expect people to write about then? That's what happens most of the time in DF. Obviously when an enemy shows up you should focus on that but I don't see how explaining what goes on in the fort is bad. Obviously I'm not talking about reporting everytime Urist McCook makes a plump helmet roast ubt I
d like to know what things the overseer is planning to build/dig out/etc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

White-Devil posted:

Also, I hope that bird leaves the area soon. Truly these are dangerous times.

It's smaller than a kitten.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If the kestrel actually manages to kill something the game will give it a name. The dwarf it kills will also be forever shamed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would dwarves not know about lycanthropy given that every human and their dog knows and sends you out to kill werebeasts on a regular basis? It's a common thing in the world of Dwarf Fortress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bad Munki posted:

Nope, born in 177-ish, I think. He's of unknown parentage because, I believe, while migrants are historical figures, embark dwarves are created on the spot.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the case. I guess you can use that as a excuse to do whatever the gently caress you want with your dwarves history :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The kestrel went and rounded up all his zombie pals. Should've killed it when you had the chance Leperflesh.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One-Way Out is the best squad name :hist101:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ignimbrite posted:

Carp are no longer the unholy engines of destruction they once were. Neither are elephants.

Elephants aren't dangerous because their tags make them passive instead of horribly aggressive. Since undead are always aggressive, an elephant husk would be incredibly dangerous.

Carps less so, but they'd still pose more of a threat than a tiny bird.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leperfish threw a party to celebrate our "victory" over the kestrel. Leperfish needs to wake up and realize that we didn't accomplish jack poo poo.

An undead fleeing from Bronzestabbed is not a success. It is a failure. To fight evil, you must crush every source of blight. We need to destroy every undead and slaughter all of the wildlife, for it is only a matter of time before all animals become infected. We have done none of this. The kestrel has escaped, taking the foul murk with it. And though it alone is not a threat, we must think of the creatures it will inevitably infect. It starts with a kestrel, but because of this there could one day be a murk zombie dragon charging towards us. Oh they don't believe me though, saying that such a tiny creature could never cause so much harm. Clearly they don't understand just how big of a threat evil is. Nobody does, and that is why we will inevitably fail.

Several children have been born in this fortress already. These children will be raised on ignorance, like all dwarves before them. They too will do nothing, unless something happens to make everyone in this fort realize just what we are dealing with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How did you manage to upload those screenshots without noticing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JamieTheD posted:

Olesh, a ranger by profession, will be placed under Internet Kraken, as Olesh was thoughtful enough to bring his own bow. His animal training will serve us well, although it worries me that he is reported as slow to heal and quick to tire

Again, most likely to be placed in the One Way Outs. Internet Kraken will find a small challenge with this one.

So my two soldiers are a teenager that can barely hold a crossbow straight and an incredibly old man that could keel over 3 years from now. Fun times.

• Locked thread