Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Boom! Ground floor! Been waiting for this one for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bad Munki posted:

If I am ever engaged as overseer, I hereby vow to name all new dwarves by attempting to type your name by nose or by toes, no fixin' of typos.

I may have a oblong shnoz, but it was a lot easier to type with my nose than with my toes.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

TildeATH posted:

Instead? Not unless the dormitory does something heroic.

Considering how these LPs go, we'll probably wind up having to collapse the dormitory onto the Forgotten Beast of the Week.

Note to self: create hanging dormitories during overseer turn.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Interesting that our god of mountains and caves is an eagle rather than a dwarf... Maybe it's a similar case to beak-dogs?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Internet Kraken posted:

That's why he needs to let me go hunting! Every animal we let go by is a potential zombie! :argh:

Animals are only zombified after they've been killed, aren't they? Outside of huskifying rains, of course.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Daeren posted:

I'd actually love to see this myself, though due to the quantum nature of size in Dwarf Fortress, best demonstrated by a million dragons fitting in one square if 999,999 are laying down, getting the proportions down might be a bit awkward.

That's really more a matter of animals than it is structures. I *think* the official measurements for each tile for physics calculations is 2x2x3 meters, but 2x2x2 or 3x3x3 might be better in Minecraft for consistency.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Three-Phase posted:

What? I would think 2x2x2 meters, TOPS.

I'm pretty sure Toady said the tiles are 2x2x3 tall for calculating in-game physics, but I can't find the devlog post where he said it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Leperflesh posted:

I opened the embark and measured how many tiles across it was. Then divided by three becuase it's a three-wide embark (3 wide 5 tall).

Right, but 48 times 2 equals 96. Times 16 is 1536, which means that Bronzestabbed is 6.144 kilometers away from the mountain range.

EDIT: Beaten.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Amazing contribution, Loden!

All I have to share so far is an IRL Dwarven Garbage Incinerator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7DDk8eLs8

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Grey Hunter posted:

Is it bad that I'm considering the feasiblity of making a scale model of a section of a DF world? I could us max sized embarks to reduce the number of segments.

Before you fire up Minecraft, try scratching that itch with IsoWorld, a visualizer tool that lets you explore the entire worldmap after it's been exported into image files.

Also, would love if you could give us a shot of the area surrounding the fort with this utility Leperflesh!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Leperflesh posted:

I interrupted because I owned details.

“In 174 the Fellowship of Adventuring formed in The Mysterious Temple in Ripewhips” I recited, and six dwarves heard my tone and quieted. I recited History.

“In 174, the dwarf Bembul Lurepaged ruled from The Mysterious Temple of The Fellowship of Adventuring in Ripewhips.”

Nettle Soup closed her eyes. Internet Kraken leaned on his sprawled dog and Bad Munki took seat. No dwarf will interrupt a history.

This right here. This is where Loden Taylor's theme starts up. A moment of reflection with a twinge of sadness and dawning realization.

Less than a week running and this is already shaping up to be an LP forum classic.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Captain_duck posted:

Wow i had no idea that could even happen in worldgen. Congratulations on finding such an incredible event in legends mode.

The craziest poo poo happens in World Gen if you really start digging through it. Probably the most famous example is Cacame Awemedinade the Immortal Onslaught, High Elf King of the Dwarves and legendary Hammerdwarf.

I've seen the reverse of the current situation before: a dark fortress entirely staffed by the descendants of human captors with only a dozen or so goblins remaining.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hah, going to try my hand at writing a journal entry. A husband and wife with their freshly hatched Guinea Fowl. Apparently this is what a keet looks like:

:allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hey, can't we just chalk it up to an old married couple trying to re-spark their youthful spirit? Crackmaster and I frolicked in the rain and drank water when it was cleanest while narrowly avoiding uncertain death. If not for adventure, then why come to a newly founded fortress?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

markus_cz posted:

You're right. This is weird. Non-historical migrants (those generated from pools of anonymous people in population data) seem to worship no gods. It's pretty obviously a bug.

Hey, look on the bright side: this means that you can worship whichever god/goddess you like to suit your narrative, rather than rely on what the game says.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

8th Slate
I wonder about my legacy. My craft in scopes is ignored by dwarves, and stolen by humans. Maintaining the pumps is work enough, but it never satisfied as the design and fitting of lenses. Still, in my endeavor in folly I discovered dear Sodelimush, which has been reward enough over the years. Perhaps I should change daily schedules?
(...)

27th Slate
Saw notice for new fortress in Hills of Rewarding. Sodelimush was intrigued. Perhaps we both need a new beginning as we pass the midpoint in our lives. Very few friendships tie us to the Manor of Dawn. Worth further thought.
(...)

2nd Malachite
Within day's journey of Bronzestabbed, as told by map. Cannot spot outpost in spyglass. Crack continues to dote on Geshud. Glad to see her affection, but I joke that Keet is very tasteful when young. She punches me for that, but it is well deserved.
(...)

3rd Malachite
Now within halls of Bronzestabbed. Had trouble finding entrance, as there was little to identify. No path, no walls, only doors in dirt. Was some time before a dwarf hailed us to come in. One called Leperfish came and showed us entrance. Fort is young, but shows promise: there is already tin and copper, so Bronzestabbed shall live to its name.

Leperfish is leader of expedition. He stares intently when thinking. It unnerved me when questions were asked, so I could not share my expert comedy. He is very friendly though, and I shall attempt expert comedy at a more relaxed time.

"Bad Monkey"(?) calls himself captain of guard, even though he is only military dwarf and is merely adequate fighter. Still, he patrols and menaces kangaroo in fields when bored. Told him joke about kangaroos and elephants which made him laugh. We share detest of snails. What are they hiding in those shells?
(...)

5th Malachite
Went fishing today. Not a worshipper, but made small prayer to Lorsith that she might give up some of her bounty. From the north came a mountainous column of cloud dust
something. It dangled with tendrils of malice. It was green, and it poured over the stream towards pond where I fished. I cursed Ugath and fled for the fortress.

Leperfish calls it "Fiendish Murk", which I find apt. Markus claims it is harmless murk, but I disagree. I do not know the intent of the gods, but murk was filled with evil. What mad fool would decide to settle here? Well, I suppose I am one of those fools for coming. May Sodelimush never encounter that wretched storm.
(...)

9th Malachite
Leperfish instructed me to construct fishery, which I did without delay. I am only a novice fisherdwarf, but the more experienced Kraken has shirked his duties of construction. I saw him at pond, where he spoke of theories of Murk. I prefer to ignore it now, but Kraken claimed that murk had power to revive a slain dwarf with power threefold. I quipped with expert comedy that we should throw him into the Murk, and then he might learn to build fisheries without shirking. Kraken said nothing and walked back to the fortress. He obviously does not appreciate expert comedy.
(...)

24th Malachite
Geshud has been pastured with other birds. Growing into a fine young guineacock. Crackmaster often visits him outside of the fort. I continue to joke that he has grown very plump and would make excellent roasts, but I hate for anything to happen to him. Crackmaster would be devastated.

Geshud accompanied us while hewing wood. Crackmaster and I took turns felling trees to conserve strength. Bronzestabbed is small, but it will grow and prosper despite threats. As long as I have Crackmaster I will be able to weather the worst murk this land has to offer.
(...)

13th Limestone
Crisis averted, but narrowly. Crackmaster had gotten into sewer brew while creating more alcohol for the good of the fortress. Must have downed several barrels, because she comes to me mumbling about mosquitoes and "paraphersnailia". She then stumbles full speed toward the exit. I only barely kept pace as Crackmaster dashed to Fadedmaggots. She always ran fast. The rain was pounding, and the Murk billowed. Crackmaster dunked her head into pool closest to stream. Out of breath I took a sip, but water was putrid. Murk swirled around us, but we were somehow spared. I remember whispering thanks to Igest the Silken Embrace for protecting us against Ugath Muckcrypt's fiendish Murk.

Was able to drag Crackmaster back to fortress but was reprimanded by Leper. Crackmaster complained of lack of well for drinking. I will accept any punishment from Leperfish, I am merely thankful that my bride is still among the living.

Leperflesh/whoever adds this to an archive, feel free to split this journal up into pieces if needed.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 1, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FiddlersThree posted:

This was awesome and hilarious.

Thanks! I've finished that series of journal entries up to Crackmaster and Kelli's encounter with the murk.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nettle Soup posted:

You're using paint to crop!? Download IrfanView! It's free, lightweight and a lot quicker to use. Just ctrl+v paste in image, highlight area, hit ctrl+y to crop and then hit s to save.

I get the feeling he's kind of at the whim of the hotel computers right now. Still, compared to most LPs you've been updating at a breakneck pace Leperflesh. Feel free to actually enjoy your vacation time rather than cater to us. :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Slashrat posted:

Has the effect of evil weather been tested on demons yet? If not, you know what to do. :colbert:

Aye, there are reports that husks can attack and defeat demons from hell itself. The only problem is putting them down afterwards.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_03F49thJ6s

2nd Granite

I have seen fiendish kestrel which now plagues Bronzestabbed.

I saw it for only a moment, but was filled with more dread than in all my hundred years. My expert comedy fails me, there was no joy in what I saw.

The kestrel... hung. It did not fly, it did not soar. It did not flit, flirt nor hover as birds do. It hung over the savanna lands, as an omen placed by a vengeful god. Its feathers falling out, its eyes milky white. And yet it stared, head downward and still no matter how its body was buffeted by cold winter gust.

Kraken intends to slay it. I hold doubts. This is no slavering beast, but a spry omenbird. It will not be easily pierced by arrow or hewn by sword. It watches us now, eyes of Ugath focused on us dwarves that would oppose the evil that inhabits this land.

I do not think

I have I have buried my demons regrets of my past, I have lived a humble life as a fisherdwarf. I know not what shall happen next, but I hope pray that should anything happen to the dwarves of Bronzestabbed, that Crackmaster and I shall be allowed to depart this world together, hand in hand.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 3, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

TildeATH posted:

The next overseer should trap the zombie kestrel and name it whatever this is in Dwarfspeak. And then mount the cage somewhere dark and dastardly.

For anyone interested, the closest parse is nòm-deb (God-eat), but some other fine choices for names include:

bunsoth: God-forsaken
ugog: bane
sog: conquerer
noshtath: devourer.
zotir: fiend

Also, interesting bit in the files: Apparently Ugath is the dwarven word for "belch". Never change, DF.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 4, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Leperflesh posted:

Bad Munki if you are just joking around that's fine, if you are actually spoilering the next update please don't. Thanks!

I think he's still obliquely joking about how JamieTheD was speaking to someone on Skype named Fish, and part of that display was shown in the Dwarf Fortress screenshots.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Sorry for not replying much, but I'm still following the thread, and I adore all of you. ALL of you. Seriously, I think this is already shaping up to be the least serious LP of Dwarf Fortress to date.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Aw Crap, what is Coastlens making? I hope it's something halfway useful, I wish to be Good Dwarf. :ohdear:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Looks like the Lizard finally killed SpiderDwarf. :ohdear:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 22, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm just glad that Revanant Threshold is okay now. :unsmith:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Someone needs to compile albums of these (And Gemclod too while you're at it) so I can jam down the highway listening to DF tunes on my Ipod.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bad Munki posted:

I'd still recommend reading it...or at least my turn :smug:

Yeah, WeepAngels was done in by a little over ambition and very slow updates, along with a general malaise over finishing once DF2012 came out. Still, the thread is worth reading for Munki's simian puns alone. There's no wrong way to eat a rhesus. :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, I have to admit, StealthArchers' addition of Krogan felt pretty incongrous, and the guilds weren't well implemented or explained... but the Party Golems were a fun addition. :3:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Stelas posted:

There's your answer. Loose the coyotes! :black101:

Please, PLEASE do this. It's precisely insane enough to work, and will buy us time to build our lava pumpstack.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That guy looks familiar for some reason...

(Poochy from Yoshi's Island for the curious)

Can't wait for someone to finish Yeol's superweapon/have it crash into the fortress.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Loden Taylor posted:

Well, that's ok. Composers are much better once they're dead anyway.

Well, it's like they say: Great musicians never really die.

They merely decompose. :v:
(I'll go sit in the corner now)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't gotten into the habit of not burying notable fortress dwarves. I know the ghost mechanics are unpredictable at best, but how awesome would it be to have our own Phantom of the Concert Hall in Loden Taylor?

Hell, let's desecrate Munki's grave so he can come back and moan at us as a ghostly Overseer warrior.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hey, Jazzimus/Leperflesh, can we just put this season up to a vote? In the celebration of current events, it might be worthwile to attempt democracy in all endeavors. Also, the dice hate BadMunki for some reason, and I want them to shove it. :rolldice:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hey, nothing major but I think someone signed me up for overseership without my consent. I don't remember visiting the form at all. :tinfoil:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Assuming my dwarf is still living a modest life, I volunteer Kelli for the Dangerous Task.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The thread got away from me, and my dwarf got lost in the veritable SEA of migrants, but burning through Bravemule and rereading my early journal entries made me want to try my hand at a little writing again. Hell, I might even start volunteering for Overseer again. Let me just download the latest copy of the fortress to see what my dorf is up to...

ninja edit: Or at least I would have, if I hadn't gone missing some time ago. Poor Crackmaster, she's lost her husband, her daughter, and her pet, with nothing left to her but craft. On the plus side though, she saw a nice waterfall recently. Now to try and figure out what happened to me...

e1: Legends mode says I died of thirst in the early spring of 244... Yep, LeJackal reported me missing in his Granite 244 update. Now to see if I can find the body.

e2: Found him. Next to the front gate, to the immediate right of the old barracks(?). Looks like I got trapped by a sandy loam wall somehow? Not entirely sure how that happened, because I'm drat sure dirt can't be replaced, can it?

I guess I'll just haunt you guys instead. Fortunately my expert comedy came with me to the afterlife.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

OhCrap posted:

Self propelling windmills that turn the fortress into a helicopter!

But that would mean raising the fort! A fortress necromancer! And that would be terrible!

• Locked thread