Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I missed all the previous LPs, finally I can actually participate in one! I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Oh god I forgot that minecarts were added.

I'm sure nothing unfortunate will ever happen. :)

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Fargo Fukes posted:

I was hoping one of the things we could steal from Matul Remrit was the five-letter bastardisation of the forum names. I can put on my fake beard and chainmail and quaff all the ale I want before coming into the thread, but reading about the exploits of dwarf nakedsephiroth246 just breaks my immersion. Oh well, maybe next time!
I agree with this, though honestly while the names bugged me initially in other LPs, it's just something I grew accustomed to. My main concern now is that I might accidentally conflate together characters from different LPs, since there'll be a large amount of the same people using the same names. Just a niggle though.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Kill the cats before it's too late.

And that's a pretty rockin' pantheon! I like Tithleth and Ugath.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
That's awesome, Grey!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Ardeem posted:

So, is there anything in this world besides the dwarves that isn't gigantic? Even the housecats are huge.
I've always just assumed everything seems big to a dwarf.

It's like how the pokedex entries are written by 10 year olds.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 24, 2012

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Oh yeah, I'm curious about how much of the Legends stuff we'll get to see. I'm particularly interested in seeing an overall worldmap. Digging into a world with a Legends viewer utility is one of my favorite parts of the game!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah, an ankylosaur I think.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

A waterfall in the entrance tunnel could be a thing. Pump water in from the river, bring it up a z-level and let it drop onto grates and then feed into a lake in the caves that drains off the edge of the map.
I like this idea!

Great update! I'm really eager to see what the TENTACLE CLOUD does! Poor kangaroos. :(

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Fashion a set of Ned Kelly hazmat armor and send the least valuable dwarf out into the mist.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

HK5000 posted:

Question. Is the Deity stuff a mod? Tried looking through the hotkeys and wasn't able to find a link to that screen with the list of them all. Any help?
It's information hidden in the Legends mode; there's various utilities that let you read a world save and it outputs stuff like history/deities, etc.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Loden Taylor posted:

I wrote a piece in commemoration of this fortress's founding and in anticipation of its inevitable horrific end.

Wow.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Interesting!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Awesome update, I'm excited to see newcomers!

Also I'm starting to think Ugath is somewhat our patron deity.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Hey Leper, is there any way to change my preference of Adult/Babydorf to Adult Dorf? And Medical Dwarf as the preferred profession? I previously left both blank because I was such a fluster to complete the form and read the first post. :) I'm #51 on the list!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Thanks so much!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I really, really like that last one.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
The suspicious behavior of Crackmaster and Kelli can only be explained by them being sinister goblin agents.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Sotsa, that was awesome. I find Ugath fascinating. :allears:

edit: dat music

Qwo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 28, 2012

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Seems portentous. :ohdear:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

If I'm "elected" overseer, I'll see to it that something is done about the cult of Ugath. Surely, we whose mission it is to make a stand against the malign, unnatural forces of undeath and corruption cannot allow worshipers of disease and deformity to endanger our righteous crusade.

They are not beyond redemption, though- perhaps some sort of cleansing atonement is in order?
It's an apotropaic cult!

Driving out Ugath from Bronzestabbed will bring only DEATH.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Kennel posted:

Making easily readable family trees is quite tricky as dwarves like to marry their cousins. Here's a quick look of Nomikos's and Saoritficis's ancestors. Tomorrow I'll color code them (current colors are random) so important historical figures can be spotted easily.

Fortunately the procedure will be highly automated so in future generating trees for new migrants will be a minor task.
Mistem Chuckfortresses has a great ring to it.

I hope I'm related to him. :ohdear:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
An ominous portent.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Do nothing anyone says in this thread.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Hooray! Something exciting!

I can't wait for John Charity Spring's term as ghost-baby overseer!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Len Kisnastorspa, a god-sent babyslayer

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Oh, I just noticed I did the hyena the wrong color!

Here's the correct version:

Also I was disappointed to find in the Legends mode that he's not a historical figure (or else he's a very recent one).

edit: haha, I love her beard.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 10, 2012

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
It's a secret.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Not to be a poopy doopy sport, but the pace is going to pick up, right? A month and a half in a little over a week? Don't kill me, just asking, I know being Overseer is hard.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Very good point! Consider my impatience curbed.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
The werehistory was great! Man, Legends mode stuff is my favorite part of DF.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Once the fortress walls start getting engraved, I'd be interested in seeing what kinds of things are being depicted!

Let's churn out statues until we get a depiction of John Charity Spring's death, and then plop that out in front of the main entrance.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I think that it's fitting that our first-slain gets the grandest coffin.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

JamieTheD posted:

Right, currently working on screenshotting all the dwarves I missed, including one I forgot to list, Qwo.
Oh my! :haw:

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
ohgodohgod

save me!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Ohhh, the Mister!

For the past few updates I've been seeing that and thinking "Mister who? Who is he talking about?"

I totally forgot.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Hmm, any chance of getting a shot of my beautiful wife Falgund's character screen? I looked back and it she seems she didn't get one.

edit: Also I'm reluctant to ask, but any chance I could get my name switched to the dwarfier 'Qword'? Just a little preference - it's what I specified on the dwarfsheet - but no big if it's a hassle.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 15, 2012

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

The Journal of Qword, Chirurgeon
Entry 1 (Hematite of 237)

We have arrived at Bronzestabbed. The journey was quite unkind to us. Many things went wrong, which gave my wife Falgund reason to complain constantly. Twice I laid her on the ground and trepanned her thick skull, but she only complained all the louder afterwards.

I do not much care for my wife. She is a cherub-cheeked, benign dwarfess. Boring, insipid. Slow. Bubbling with things to say. She worships the gossip-goddess when it suits her, which is when she’s feeling particularly womanly. I do not share her fascination with fluffy creatures and relationships. I am glad her pet cat starved on the way here.

I sometimes long for my bachelor years. It was not so long ago, for I am a very young dwarf. Tomemoistened was my home, a fair fortress of a few hundred dwarves. I trained as an apprentice chirurgeon - one who cuts and heals dwarfflesh. A rare and prestigious profession! I was, by all accounts, a promising sawer of bones.

But alas, it was not meant to be. My training lasted only two years before I had Falgund thrust on my shoulders. My parents had arranged the marriage with hers. It was a joining of houses, a sharing of wealth, a horrible dwarven custom that ended my life before it had even begun.

I moved to Ripewhips to live with my bride and her family. It was pure misery. Ripewhips is an astonishing fortress, as I’m sure you’ve heard. A progressive polyracial society. It was truly disgusting. The only joy to be had in Ripewhips was my 0% survival rate for goblin patients.

Obviously, six years of dead goblins caught up with me.

I narrowly escaped being clapped in irons and sentenced to death. The goblins, craven greenskins that they are, came in great numbers while I was asleep. I broke a few of my precious anatomy tablets over their heads, threw my screaming wife at them, and fled from Ripewhips, never to return again.

Unfortunately, my wife, through some sick joke of the gods, escaped too and followed me into the wilds. I was grief-stricken to find that she still lived, but I passed my sobs off as joy.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 23, 2012

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't normally care for journal entries, but I enjoyed this one.
Thanks! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Seeing someone I don't recognize get overseership makes me nervous. :ohdear:

• Locked thread