Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Any chance of convincing you guys to turn off punctuation ground? It would really help clean up visual clutter in the screenshots - especially since punctuation is shown at full saturation and catches the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Imapanda posted:

Hypothetically, what would happen to this thread if the fort is lost prematurely? :ohdear:

I think in Boatmurdered or Gemclod we had an overseer who hosed up and killed off the fort, but they just reloaded the save and played on for several more years.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

This is skirting the edge of spoilers. There's nothing really revelatory here, but nobody knew about kobold civil wars, for example. Please use caution, thanks! :)

I don't want to know what exactly you put in the game (don't spoil me/us!), but I'm curious if you expect whatever you put into the game to pop up sometime during the LP. Or what happens if they never do?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Crassus posted:

I feel a much better player now.

Yeah, honestly the best way to learn DF is to just go hog-wild on your first few fortresses and try building absolutely everything until you collapse in a flaming tantrum spiral.

Trying to play DF "right" while you're new at it will just mean it takes a lot longer to learn. When I was starting out every time I lost a fortress I felt like I understood the game much better than I did before.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I personally can't stand digging my fort deeply since Z navigation is annoying if there are too many levels. This is also generally why I try to embark on flatter ground - good luck following a fight that's fought over 10 thin strips of Z layers.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hey Rawkking can you use [timg] tags for your large images instead of linking them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Dude, you don't have to timg/link every single image. If it's less than 1024 pixels wide you can probably get away with not timging it.

Great update otherwise.

• Locked thread