Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hey anyone on Wind or Mobilicity. I ordered an AWS cell repeater out of the US but then ended up jumping onto that Koodo plan when they had it going last week.

Any interest in buying this thing from me? I got this kit:
http://jdteck.com/products/repeaters/consumer-repeater-kits/jd55-pr-standard-kit-grey

Should I do an SA Mart thread for it or something? It's unopened, sitting in its box in my basement right now.

I'll probably try to craigslist my 2 Nexus S phones soon too I guess. Oh and I'm located in Vancouver (Coquitlam)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Gunslinger posted:

I might be, my girlfriend gets a really weak Wind signal at her place but wants to keep the service. I would need to do some research first though, $320 is a lot to drop on something that might not work.

No problem, take your time. I guess it has an outside antenna that you have to install then run a wire through a wall or something.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cold on a Cob posted:

It's especially hilarious because if you have visual voicemail you'll get a call and it doesn't say who's calling, then it goes to voicemail and the voicemail lists the caller it's from - I know this because I had my iphone without call display for a week. It's purely a cash grab and it's disgusting. I sure hope the discount carriers gain more traction and coverage, but I'm not holding my breath.

The most ridiculous thing I've found is that they charge for callerID and then they charge another fee on top of that to show a name instead of just the number calling (Call DISPLAY). And apparently only Rogers (and subsidiaries) even support that?? Like Koodo/Bell/Telus, at least according to the Koodo message boards, simply don't support that feature at all.

Edit: Ohh I see that Rogers/fido have now combined callerid and name display into one feature. Weee.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Scaramouche posted:

Is there a way do three party conference calls on a cheap crappy plan like my Mobilicity $45 one? I've got a client phone meeting that I've realized I can't be in the office for

I think all Mobilicity plans include 3-way calling but I don't know how to initiate it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Scaramouche posted:

Figured it out (on android). When you're on a call those top 3 buttons are there on the screen. The middle one is 'End Call' (red phone), the one on the right is 'keypad' (a little keypad), and the one the left is 'add call' (little plus sign). After you're connected to the first party just press the 'add call' and dial out to your other party. Apologies for that description but I thought it might help people not on android phones figure out where it is too.

Ah, I was afraid it would have been a star code or something to get it working like the old days but google wasn't turning up anything.

of course it probably still is a star code, the android UI just hides hides it in the background and does it for you.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Crumbles posted:

So I finally got around to calling Rogers retentions....

After a little bit of haggling, they offered to bring my plan down $65/month before tax. The plan includes bare-bones voice, 6GB of data, and callerID + voicemail. No additional discount on the iPhone 5, just the same subsidy everyone else gets when signing a 3 year contract. I've been a Rogers mobile subscriber for 9 years. I'm going to sit on this for a few days and mull over switching to Wind and grabbing an S3. Gonna have to crunch some numbers and figure out if I still net a saving despite leaving the Wind zone pretty regularly. Any chance Rogers may call back in a while with a more interesting offer?

For $65 at Koodo you could get 6gb data, 150 minutes daytime, unlimited after 5pm, canada wide calling, callerid/voicemail (no visual voicemail though) and unlimited texting.

How does that compare to the Rogers retention plan?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Geektox posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Wind's coverage in the GVRD, particularly in the North Shore, Burnaby and Richmond? I currently have a GS3 from Virgin, which if I understand correctly is a pentaband phone and should work with Wind without me having to get a different phone.

Also, does anyone have any insight on Bell's LTE speeds vs. Wind's HSPA+ speeds? There's a theoretical difference I guess, but if residential internet speeds are anything to go by, what the operator promises and what you get are two very different things.

I found internet speeds on Wind/Mobilicity to be pretty poor compared to Telus (Koodo) and I'm not even on LTE. Not just overall speeds but responsiveness of websites and such is much much better on Koodo. I mostly used it around eastern Burnaby/Coquitlam/Port Moody though.

I have found in general Mobilicity/Wind are a lot less likely to get a decent signal if you are indoors. In our house in south coquitlam (Dawes Hill, above the theatre) you could get a signal if you were on the south side of the house upstairs but if you went into the half-basement or the north side of the house you'd vary between 1 bar or no signal. Koodo gets 2ish bars in the basement and 2-3 bars in the back side of the house.

Check coverage mapper to see if there's any gaping holes in areas where you frequent http://www.coveragemapper.com/. And just know that even in good signal areas, indoors in those areas can provide weak signals. Most of the coveragemapper results are from people driving around in cars/transit busses etc so the signal can look a little better than it is.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
On that note: I still have the AWS band version of this thing if anyone in the Vancouver area wants to buy it from me at a steep discount: http://jdteck.com/products/repeaters/consumer-repeater-kits/jd55-pr-standard-kit-grey

I bought it because my Mobilicity phone didn't get signal downstairs but then I ended up switching to Koodo so had no use for it. I never even opened the box and have been super lazy about craigslisting my stuff (Also have a pair of Nexus S's that work on wind/mobilicity that I've been too lazy to get rid of).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not sure how new these are but Fido has some OK plans right now, til the 25th.

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/monthly/smartplans

Unlimited text, minutes, canada wide long distance and 1gb data. Comes with call waiting/conference/visual voicemail/Call display/name display/whocalled

$57

And it's available month to month or with 2 year contracts.

The hilarious thing is that you can't get the plan with a 3 year contract. That's because the only phones that Fido sells that require a 3 year are iPhones. So to screw over anyone who absolutely must have their iPhone they offer the EXACT same deal except they call it a "Max Plan" instead of "Smart Plan" and it puts you on a 3 year contract but they charge $80/month.

I'm tempted to switch from my koodo plan since I don't use all that much data. I could sign on for 2 years and get a free galaxy nexus that I could craigslist since I already have one. Plus it'd save me $3/month over the Koodo plan and I'd get visual VM instead of the old kind that koodo uses.

Edit: Hmm, visual voicemail app for android doesn't have much in the way of good reviews https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fido.vvm

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 15, 2012

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dfuz posted:

Its horrible. A notification telling you "vvm is synching" comes up about every fifteen seconds, which cuts your battery time in half. About twice a day I install it, let it check for messages and then promptly uninstall it again. Worst app I've ever used.

I saw mention they have an alternative method you can use that utilizes MMS messages? Have you tried that and if so, how well does it work?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dfuz posted:

No I haven't... But Ill look into it. When I first started this plan I just had standard voicemail which was fine. This vvm nonsense got added without me knowing. I want to go back to srandard but I've been too busy to call them. Where did you see this MMS option mentioned?

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/manageyourcalls/visualvoicemailplus

quote:

Users with a supported Android and BlackBerry device can manage their voicemail messages through an application. Other mobile phones will receive voicemail messages via Picture/Video (MMS) messages.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

infinite99 posted:

How does GV work? I was able to get a GV number and I do have a 403 number. What can I do with it?

I haven't used it personally but going by memory I think what happens is you give people your GV number instead of your real number. Then it can do things like screen calls for you, have more control over voicemail, if you change phone services you can keep your GV number the same (if for some reason you lost your cell number). It can transcribe voicemails for you and send you a text message or something so you don't have to listen to the VM. Lets you make cheap international calls through google voice. You can have your text messages get forwarded to email.

More stuff here: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

teethgrinder posted:

So... I'm bad with money and confrontation, basically Rogers' ideal customer. I'm paying $68/mth including tax for the 6 GB bundle and no add-ons. (200 or so minutes, My10, SMS, free evenings; no voicemail or call display).

I've recently set up a budget and plan to get out of debt, but I'm paying way too much for my phone. Basically I need to get retentions to offer me a discount. I've been off a three-year contract for around half a year. I own my phone outright (unfortunately I'm pretty sure it only operates on Rogers... S2 LTE)

Should I basically tell them I'm switching to Wind or Mobilicity? Unfortunately rates on Bell and Telus don't seem any better than Rogers. I only need a gig of data, and hardly use phone minutes. 2 gigs would be nice.

Or should I honestly just tell them I need to cancel/reduce it because I can't afford to pay their rate?

The phone won't even work on Fido despite them using the same network/towers?

Fido has unlimited minutes/texts/canada wide calling + call display/VM/2gigs for $60 with no contract. Surely rogers can do something to meet/match that for a long time customer?
http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group2

edit: Didn't see you said including tax. Fido's $50 plan would probably save you a bit.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Mak0rz posted:

That's good to know, thanks! Is there anything I should know about my plan of choice? I can't help but be paranoid about :siren:hidden fees:siren:. Unless I can hear some convincing reasons to not go with them, Koodo is my final choice. Actually owning my phone means I don't have to go with a contract, right?

Another question: My Telus contract finally peters out on May 2. What happens then? Is my deal with them automatically terminated, or do I have to contact them and tell them I'm switching providers or what?

When your contract expires you shouldn't contact them to tell them you're leaving. You just need your account info then go to koodo and get them to transfer your number. That will automatically cancel your existing plan with your former provider. I believe there are or were some providers who were known to lock your account which prevents transfers if you notify them that you are terminating your account with them? Not sure if that still happens but it was kind of a dick move.

That said, I don't know how to time it best to minimize getting double billed for a month of service from your old provider. Maybe they prorate your cancellation date now or something? I can't remember.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

OilSlick posted:

Never heard of it happening, never had it happen in five years of selling phones, and if it did I'd punch that carrier in the dick for ruining my sale. Of course if you cancel your line completely then there is no number to port and will have to get a new number (if it's possible to get it back it's more trouble than it's worth)

When porting, just make sure you have your account number. That's usually all that's needed.

Huh, I'd swear I've heard horror stories of transfers being denied because of providers locking the number when the account was going to be terminated. Then again, don't believe everything you read online I guess :)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not on his cell phone but a friend of mine uses voip.ms. they are reasonably cheap and they run a broadsoft server I think so it's pretty well supported for having sip clients logging in to it. He fully recommends them. Also I used to work for polycom and a number of the voip phone developers used VoIP.ms so that's a mark in their favor as well

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

cowofwar posted:

Now that you mention the scenario it is pretty ridiculous that you can't have multiple sim cards linked to the same account. If I'm paying for a certain amount of voice and data then I should be able to use it on as many different phones as I want.

It's like a cable provider only allowing one TV per plan. There is a physical restriction to prevent sharing of lines but TV service is also unlimited and not defined like cell service.

Yeah but now the cable companies force you to buy/rent cable boxes rather than charge by the TV. And they used to try to charge you extra by how many jacks you had in your house though I don't think that was really enforced too much.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I think that Koodo plan will still be available just without the double data/minutes?

Last summer they had the same/similar plan except it had 6gigs of data so I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that come back as they try to entice the back to school crowd.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lobok posted:

What exactly is the tab system anyway? It looks like a phone loan of sorts, and I'm guessing these loans will now be extended to three years if I'm reading you right.

They give you a phone and x% of your monthly bill (usually 10%) goes toward paying off the value of the phone. So if your bill is $60 then every month your tab is decreased by $6 until the phone is paid off. You aren't technically locked into a contract because if you leave then you don't pay a set cancellation fee, you just have to pay off the remainder of your tab.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Oh and most providers with a tab system such as Koodo allow you to build up your tab if you don't currently have one. Koodo lets you build up to $150 in positive tab credit so next time you go to buy a phone your tab hit won't be as bad if you end up leaving early.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Dark One posted:

That only becomes helpful if you have an expensive plan, though. My plan only costs me $25 a month, so it would take five years to get to a positive tab.

Yeah, though I think some of the providers now have a 3 year limit or something where if your tab is still negative after 3 years they wipe it out. Which basically amounts to a 3 year contract I guess :p

Also if you already own your own phone when you join a provider that has a tab plan then eventually you'll get a cheaper upgrade I suppose. Though now Koodo has that thing where they discount you by 10% if you opt out of the tab system I think?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well this looks promising

Intersting development. Not only do Wind's original owners want it back, they also want to bring in Moblicity, enabling a 4th players in the monopoly. Could this be the begining of better cell rates and such
?

I don't really get how buying Mobilicity will suddenly make them a huge player. They both share very nearly the same coverage and cities I think so the only real change would that it would increase their total number of subscribers. I'm not sure that even both of them combined would be enough to put much of a dent in the big 3/their subsidiaries.

Also apparently Public Mobile just got bought by another equity firm apparently?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

WienerDog posted:

Does Verizon use the same frequencies as Wind here? If so they could leverage that as lower roaming rates for their customers in the States.

Marty: did you figure out what happened with Rogers regarding suddenly have more data? Just a glitch in the app/site?

Pretty sure T-Mobile is the only provider that uses the same frequency as Wind/Mobilicity (AWS).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Oddly last summer Koodo had basically that same plan but with 6gigs of data. Actually all the budget carriers had something like that going I think, or at least Fido did. I don't know why they've backed off so much to 1/2/3gigs since then. I haven't seen anything with more than 2 or now 3gigs at that $60 price point since the big sale ended in august or september last year.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am never letting go of my 6GB/$30 addon holy loving poo poo.

Also: Telus prices :lol:
http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/15/telus-to-increase-prices-as-it-moves-to-two-year-plans/

Edit: Durr posted on the last page.

Here's bell's new plans: http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/15/heres-bells-new-monthly-rate-plans-voice-voice-and-data-lite-and-voice-and-data-plus/

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Maybe this was just an American thing, but as I recall you sued to have to rent telephones themselves from AT&T, not just pay for the landline itself. I bring this up to effectively say "'twas ever thus", because telephones are almost-but-not-quite unique in how utterly useless they are WITHOUT that ongoing service contract, and so it has always made a certain amount of intuitive sense to tie initial sale and initial service together. Add "people value short-term profit over long term" and "businesses like money" and you have the recipe for inertia.

Obviously the part about phones being useless without that ongoing service is less true now than it's ever been, but we (general we here) still think of our smartphones as phones rather than the PDAs they actually are and so we are still stuck with the accompanying habits of thought.

Yeah that was in Canada too. I think it wasn't until they split up Ma Bell in the 80's that you were finally able to purchase a land line phone separate from the service.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lexicon posted:

^^ I don't even understand exactly how he intends that point to support his argument that Verizon shouldn't be allowed in.

After all, it's pretty much a law of the universe that: if $X were to enter $Y’s $Z market, large urban markets would benefit more than other markets.

I suspect it's an appeal to the rural and suburban largely conservative voters to try and get them to complain to their party until they reverse the decision to increase competition.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Lexicon posted:

Maybe I don't understand people, but that doesn't even make any sense to me. Do rural residents/voters get annoyed at various products/services that enter the market and primarily/exclusively focus on the urban market? If so, they must have to cope with constant disappointment.
Yes

See: The election of Rob Ford

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is it some kind of leaf or wood chip?

I was hoping it would be dried banana slugs or something but sadly: http://saltspringdollars.com/

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ante posted:

Man, you something is pretty hosed when plans are going backwards, not forwards.

I went on contract in January '12 and got unlimited texting, 100 min talk, 50 min long distance, voicemail, caller id, 6gb for $60

Yeah I don't know why they've gotten so stingy on data this year. Summer of 2012 everyone was offering 6gb data in $60 plans. Mine has 250 minutes, unlimited evenings, unlimited canada long distance, unlimited texting and the VM/CallerID stuff. Now you can get basically the same thing but you don't see anything over 1 or 2gb.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

teethgrinder posted:

My girlfriend's Mobilicity I think is even worse than Wind. She can only deal with it because she can steal my (Rogers) phone if necessary. I would love to dump Rogers, but the alternatives are useless where I need them the most .

I tried both Mobilicity and Wind. Both were kinda bad for dead zones and indoor coverage. Mobilicity had appalling data issues. Sometimes it would be fine for 5 minutes then when you try to load a web page it would crawl and be unusable for the next 5 minutes. Super frustrating. Wind had more reliable data but still dropped calls, missed calls and spotty coverage. This was mostly in Burnaby and Coquitlam.

I've since switched to Koodo as of about a year ago and it's far more stable. The down side is having to pay $20/month more ($60 vs $40).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I impulse bought one around noon today. I just kept clicking between black/white/16gb/32gb for a few minutes. The white one showed up in stock a couple of times, when I clicked on it it took me to the cart but then said my cart was empty. Eventually the black 16gig one showed up and I was able to get through the purchase process.

I didn't have to keep refreshing the page, just clicking between the options within the page itself. Though if you are really set on a particular colour/size I guess you'd have to do the refreshing thing.

Also, they were literally in stock for seconds at a time. I had it show up in stock, then changed to another option then back and it was gone.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

My 2-3 week shipping just turned into shipped today :)

I noticed my Nexus 5 tracking says it's coming from the US via UPS. I sure hope UPS isn't going to hit me with their crazy brokerage fees :ohdear:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Ah good to know. A retailer that actually knows how to handle cross border transactions, how innovative.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Hello! So lately I've decided to help my family upgrade their phones. We go to Future Shop, pre-order the iPhone 5S (for their $50 out-of-stock bonus), and then are shocked when the cheapest plan is for $70 ($20 more than what we are currently paying ... for a worse plan when it comes to data).

Suffice to say that since she's exactly 20 days out of contract, there's nothing exactly keeping her tied down to Bell. I was thinking that she'd take her current iPhone 4 to mobilicity, but I don't even know if they're like Wind and therefore don't accept them or what.

Any help? Price really is not an issue. I was considering even moving her to a Nexus 4/5 or similar on a no-contract carrier (which would mean she'd pay the same for buying a phone and less for the plan in the long run). What have other people been doing? Who has sane rates nowadays?

I am sorry if the new Bell rates have already been brought up and someone posted a logical conclusion somewhere. But I glossed this last page and found nothing.

Mobilicity and Wind both use AWS band (Same as T-Mobile in the US) and the iPhone does not support that frequency as far as I know.

For cheaper options that support iphones you'd probably want to look at koodo/fido/virgin I think. They give a discount if you bring your own phone I believe.

Also, subsidising an iphone purchase is expensive. Even the discount carriers like koodo and fido have 'special' (read: More expensive) plans that apply only to iphones if you are getting an iPhone on contract with them.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 7, 2013

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hah weird, I saw Hodgkins IN and Hodgkins IL on mine so googled to see if it was the same city on a state border or something like how Kansas City is and came across this little tidbit:

quote:

There is no Hodgkins Indiana. The town (Hodgkins IL) is located in Cook County, IL southwest of Chicago.

Hodgkins INDIANA is not a city, it is merely a UPS hub. It is located somewhere in Ohio close to the border with Indiana. The reason is that Indiana allows only double trailers at max, while Ohio and Illinois allow triple trailers. Therefore, when UPS trucks travel from west to east, they drop one trailer in Hodkings ILLINOIS, and then after going through Indiana they get the third trailer in HODGKINS IN, which is just the name of the UPS hub. When traveling east to west, UPS trucks drop the third trailer in HODGKINS IN and pick up a third trailer in HODGKINS IL.

Mine is listed as departing Hodgkins a few days ago so I imagine it's on its way to canada now or something? Estimated delivery date is tuesday.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Mine is currently out for delivery so I'll either get home to a package on my front step (don't rob me pls, thanks) or I get to wait for UPS to redirect it to my office or travel to some distant depot to pick it up or whatever.

What should I do if I want to back up a game save/profile to move to another phone. Is that something that varies game to game or can I do it manually if I just copy over a file somewhere? Defender's of Texel is the game I'm thinking of to be specific.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Alright, thanks.

Mine has apparently been "out for delivery" since 2:45AM. Speedy trucks!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Man those UPS guys are sneaky. My phone was still "out for delivery" when I got home. Around 6pm or a bit later I hear a knock at the door and the doorbell so I literally run upstairs and by the time I got to the door there was no sign of the guy and the phone was sitting on the doorstep. He must have literally rang the bell and RAN back out to the street.

Now I need to get a microsim from Koodo at lunch today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
The Koodo store in Metrotown also charged me $10 for the new Sim but I didn't really press the issue.