Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

DarkJC posted:

Virgin has it as well, for the record.

Is it built into every plan? or do you need to buy an add-on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They've changed things around since I signed up, but it's built into all "Choice" plans (which used to be called "Talk & Text").

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Anyway upped my plan from 150 minutes, and 2 gigs to 1000 minutes, 3 gigs and 25 cdn long distance minutes for $20 more a month.

Includes tethering, visual voice mail, and 10 hrs of mobile tv. horray i guess?

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 12, 2013

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I think 7-11 speakout has 365 day expiry for any top up amount.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
So I've had my iPhone 3GS for 3+ years now and I'm thinking of dropping it to switch to Wind with a Galaxy S3. The only problem I can think of is that it used to be a dual-plan with my ex and we split the contract about 16 months ago so I have no idea if it would've been considered a new contract or not and I wanted some opinions before I go blurting things out to the Rogers call centre rep.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

aunaturale posted:

What's the easiest way to keep my phone number active while studying abroad for eight months annually over the next several years? I'm getting too connected to be able to reset my network by FBing Hey guys knew number!@ every summer break but don't want to pay for a plan I don't use.

My current thought is to switch the number to either a prepaid service or a $15 monthly plan and then transfer it to a carrier with the plan I actually use during the summer. But what specifically is the cheapest way to keep an active number?
Port it into Google Voice.

Edit: poo poo this is the Canadian crappy cell phone thread, never mind. I think the prepaid service is probably your best bet.

slow crow
Sep 29, 2007
2012 was a bad year

slow crow fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 12, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
That's why the real growth in the Canadian cell phone industry is in... financial services?

It would actually be neat if Public Mobile was pushing those services through their subscribers' phones, but it looks like they'll be issuing their own physical Mastercards and do the rest through their retail outlets.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Man, I thought the title was just a joke since I've always gotten Caller ID for free with my plans, but I just helped my cousin sign up with Virgin, and to my utter shock it was actually 7 dollars.

Out of curiosity, will Virgin and the like offer you retention plans (assuming you've used their service for a while) if you are on the month-to-month contract?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Geektox posted:

Man, I thought the title was just a joke since I've always gotten Caller ID for free with my plans, but I just helped my cousin sign up with Virgin, and to my utter shock it was actually 7 dollars.

It's a joke because it used to be $8

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Geektox posted:

Out of curiosity, will Virgin and the like offer you retention plans (assuming you've used their service for a while) if you are on the month-to-month contract?

It's especially hilarious because if you have visual voicemail you'll get a call and it doesn't say who's calling, then it goes to voicemail and the voicemail lists the caller it's from - I know this because I had my iphone without call display for a week. It's purely a cash grab and it's disgusting. I sure hope the discount carriers gain more traction and coverage, but I'm not holding my breath.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cold on a Cob posted:

It's especially hilarious because if you have visual voicemail you'll get a call and it doesn't say who's calling, then it goes to voicemail and the voicemail lists the caller it's from - I know this because I had my iphone without call display for a week. It's purely a cash grab and it's disgusting. I sure hope the discount carriers gain more traction and coverage, but I'm not holding my breath.

The most ridiculous thing I've found is that they charge for callerID and then they charge another fee on top of that to show a name instead of just the number calling (Call DISPLAY). And apparently only Rogers (and subsidiaries) even support that?? Like Koodo/Bell/Telus, at least according to the Koodo message boards, simply don't support that feature at all.

Edit: Ohh I see that Rogers/fido have now combined callerid and name display into one feature. Weee.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Actually it looks like Fido has some new plans too. I might have to switch, the new plans are a bit more generous with the data (though still ridiculously expensive of course). Does Fido charge to switch to a new plan? I'm under a three year contract right now.

edit: Looked it up, seems to be no charge other than pro-rated charges for difference in plan unless you align the change with the billing cycle end date. If you've experienced otherwise please speak up!

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are cell repeaters directional? I have a friend who lives in an area near the border where the AT&T signal is stronger than Bell's, so he often gets switched over to roaming.

Would a repeater help at all?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Are cell repeaters directional? I have a friend who lives in an area near the border where the AT&T signal is stronger than Bell's, so he often gets switched over to roaming.

Can he turn off roaming? What kind of phone is it?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You should be able to call up Bell and get them to disable roaming from their end I think

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said they said no to disabling roaming.

He currently has some kind of Blackberry, a Curve I think, but is getting a Galaxy S3 this weekend.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Way back when I use to work for Bell they had an add on that wasn't charged to the account and would auto credit border city roaming. Maybe they got rid of it or maybe your friend can just call and ask if it's available in his province, because from what I could remember not all border cities were eligible for the add on.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Where does he live?

I don't know about Bell, but I know Telus declared certain areas "Border" zones. In a "Border Zone" you wouldn't get charged voice if you roamed onto a US carrier (AT&T) tower.

I lived in White Rock, which is 15 minutes from the US border, so this happened all the time. All I had to do was make sure data roaming was off as data wasn't covered.

White Rock and Abbotsford in BC are one border zone, Windsor ON is the other. Perhaps Bell has this agreement too as they're very similar Telus network wise?

I'm sure you can get directional repeaters, but an omni-directional should be good enough. You just need a stronger signal than the foreign carrier.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kolta posted:

Way back when I use to work for Bell they had an add on that wasn't charged to the account and would auto credit border city roaming. Maybe they got rid of it or maybe your friend can just call and ask if it's available in his province, because from what I could remember not all border cities were eligible for the add on.

The feature was for CDMA devices only.

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !
For anyone living in Québec, Videotron is offering a plan with 6gb of data, caller id, voicemail, unlimited sms for 55$ + taxes(~63$).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like the iPhone 4S is dropping to $99 on a standard 3 year plan.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers-carriers/rogers-bell-and-telus-drop-iphone-4s-prices-to-99-on-3-year-terms/

quote:

Most likely in anticipation of the upcoming ‘iPhone 5′, Rogers, Bell and Telus have simultaneously reduced the price of the 16GB iPhone 4S to $99 on a 3 year term (regularly priced at $159), available in either black or white.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Where does he live?

I don't know about Bell, but I know Telus declared certain areas "Border" zones. In a "Border Zone" you wouldn't get charged voice if you roamed onto a US carrier (AT&T) tower.

I lived in White Rock, which is 15 minutes from the US border, so this happened all the time. All I had to do was make sure data roaming was off as data wasn't covered.

White Rock and Abbotsford in BC are one border zone, Windsor ON is the other. Perhaps Bell has this agreement too as they're very similar Telus network wise?

I'm sure you can get directional repeaters, but an omni-directional should be good enough. You just need a stronger signal than the foreign carrier.

He lives near/in a town called Dundee.

Bell already removes the roaming charges as it is, it's just an annoyance he was hoping a repeater can solve.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Does anyone actually have WIND mobile with the ~$40/month plan? What's your final bill like? Do you have Voicemail/Call Display?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am seriously contemplating getting the 4S, but I got shafted by the 3G on a 3 year contract. I guess if I'd waited for the 3GS I would have been better off. Gotta weigh whether Apple will still offer software updates for the 4S in 3 years :ohdear:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Martytoof posted:

I am seriously contemplating getting the 4S, but I got shafted by the 3G on a 3 year contract. I guess if I'd waited for the 3GS I would have been better off. Gotta weigh whether Apple will still offer software updates for the 4S in 3 years :ohdear:

I have the 3GS and I just called Rogers today and I'm on the 27th month of my 36 month contract, they said everyone is eligible for a hardware upgrade at 30 months so you can get a 4s or wait a bit and get a 5 when they come out (should be announced on October 4th).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I am seriously contemplating getting the 4S

Even though the 5 is just around the corner?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Yes, speculation is that pre orders will be on Sept. 12th.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Does anyone actually have WIND mobile with the ~$40/month plan? What's your final bill like? Do you have Voicemail/Call Display?

I got this and it's pretty much what you'd expect. $40 base, +$8 for voicemail and 5% GST with occasional dimes when I'm out of town and my phone sends/receives data before realizing that its roaming. Got call display too for free. The first billing is the first two months with the first month adjusted for when you signed up with Wind so if it was halfway through the month you pay about half of a normal monthly bill.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I'm officially off contract so really the only reason I was considering the 4S was because my 3G is starting to really creak and groan and $99 seems like an okay price to replace a phone that I basically only use for telephone calls and email anyway. My iPad does all the heavy lifting for apps, really.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah I'm officially off contract so really the only reason I was considering the 4S was because my 3G is starting to really creak and groan and $99 seems like an okay price to replace a phone that I basically only use for telephone calls and email anyway. My iPad does all the heavy lifting for apps, really.

I would wait and consider ponying up for the new iPhone in the fall, if only because it might be LTE and that would give you discount carrier options if you don't travel or roam often.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I will. I mean if anything the 4S will still be around. I was mostly thinking out loud. I have a lot of time to think out loud while I wait for my 3G's keyboard to catch up with what I typed :tipsahat:

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Be advised that the iPhone 4S sale is only on until September 7th.

The prices of the 32 and 64GB iPhones has dropped by $60 as well, so now hopefully someone will actually buy those. We still have both our original white 64s from launch.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Just an update on being with Wind for awhile: I'm still really happy but my GF was getting antsy not being able to get a signal at home. We had submitted a few complaints using the network builder thing which I assumed were ignored. Last weekend Wind came out and setup a repeater in her area, now she gets 5 bars everywhere so shes loving it. Data speeds are about 5/1 which is pretty good, shes on the unlimited package and saving about $70 a month vs her old Rogers bullshit.

All told it took them about a month from first complaints to implementation which is really good considering it's a small coverage area in Winona.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

God drat it.

Is there some sort of CRTC complaint that I can lodge against Bell? EVERY month since I signed up for an LTE tablet plan, we have to call and have them correct our billing. It's wildly inaccurate every single time without fail.

This month, despite the fact that our plan goes up to 5GB (we used 3.4 this month), we were charged $34 at the cost of $1.00/MB. Obviously, this doesn't even make sense.

Just, like, I am getting tired of having to take this time out of my day to get this fixed, and it is a regular monthly occurrence. I want someone at Bell to get something official from someone to make sure they fix my loving billing and keep it working. It should not be this difficult.

Canukian
Dec 13, 2005
I am a displaced Canadian

mediaphage posted:

God drat it.

Is there some sort of CRTC complaint that I can lodge against Bell? EVERY month since I signed up for an LTE tablet plan, we have to call and have them correct our billing. It's wildly inaccurate every single time without fail.

This month, despite the fact that our plan goes up to 5GB (we used 3.4 this month), we were charged $34 at the cost of $1.00/MB. Obviously, this doesn't even make sense.

Just, like, I am getting tired of having to take this time out of my day to get this fixed, and it is a regular monthly occurrence. I want someone at Bell to get something official from someone to make sure they fix my loving billing and keep it working. It should not be this difficult.

You could try their ombudsman, or office of the president. It's like higher their customer service

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Anyone having 3g mobilicity problems in downtown van? I haven't been able to connect since last night. Normal service is fine

EDIT-Never mind, contacted them. They've confirmed a 3g outage across the lower mainland that should be resolved later today.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 31, 2012

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004

Canukian posted:

You could try their ombudsman, or office of the president. It's like higher their customer service
or

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/en/complaints/complaint-form

Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services

It's a terrible form to fill out but it's most likely what you're looking for. Also, don't mistake this for a government website, it's only a voluntary industry alliance (I think) or something like that. Anyways, whenever the Big Three are taken to task for anticompetitive behaviour they always quote the low number of complaints lodged against them via this service, which is hard to fill out and few people know about.

on an unrelated note i'm pretty happy with what I just got from retention (Fido)

$17.50 200 daytime minutes ev. unlimited from 5pm, w/e unlimited until 8am monday
$(10.00) credit
$5.00 voicemail & call display
$5.00 200 sms
$10 flex data ($10 > 100mb, $15 > 200mb, $20 > 500mb, $25 > 1gb, $0.05/mb <= 1gb)
$0.40 911
total:

$27.90+tx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow, getting my number ported is a bit of a hassle. Can't receive calls so I call back to ask the sales guy at Mobilicity what the problem was, says I need the account number on my Virgin Mobile account. Not my PIN apparently, so I have to call Virgin's CS for it and the lady who gave me the number seemed to mumble it out for me. Hopefully it goes okay, I guess I'll see in a few hours if it does.