Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any mod recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Death by 1000 Taunts. DoD doesn't really require massive modification during your first playthrough.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've been playing it on and off for a long time. never won, but that's more of a "got bored" problem than a "don't know how to play" problem

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Are there any mods for inventory stuff? Also should I level up Archaeology and how far if so? Debating that vs Leylines for teleport which I know I will need, just not sure if I can be greedy and level the other first.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Boozie posted:

Are there any mods for inventory stuff? Also should I level up Archaeology and how far if so? Debating that vs Leylines for teleport which I know I will need, just not sure if I can be greedy and level the other first.

I typically put the points in Archaeology to get to Museum, maybe Charlemagne if I lack any sort of panic buttons, and then save the rest of the tree for dead last. Assuming you're running a magic-using build, Leylines will give you much more utility in the long run, as all you'll get out of Archaeology is some levels in Trap Disarming and some skills that just futz with your equipment.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Museum is probably the second greatest skill in the game, right behind the Pyromancer's dragon summon.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I just noticed I have 112h in Dredmor and I haven't gotten close to beating it. :negative:

I have enjoyed every hour!

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

spider wisdom posted:

I just noticed I have 112h in Dredmor and I haven't gotten close to beating it. :negative:

I have enjoyed every hour!

Between the game itself and the seperate beta key from back when they were doing that for patch betas, I have 332 hours. I've beaten the game a handful of times, only one of which being on Going Rogue perma-death (for the achievement), and never since getting the extra five floors from the expansion.

[EDIT] And I think my one GRPD win was before they finally nerfed Pyromancy into not being a complete gamebreaker.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 27, 2014

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Tollymain posted:

any mod recommendations?

bigger eyebrows

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I got it in my head to pick this back up. I got to floor 15 going rigoue permadeath and none of my spells effect dread more at all :(

That save file is now locked in an eternal stalemate.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Reznor posted:

I got it in my head to pick this back up. I got to floor 15 going rigoue permadeath and none of my spells effect dread more at all :(

That save file is now locked in an eternal stalemate.

You could try going back through all the floors and buying/crafting up as many clockwork saw blades/holy hand grenades as you possibly can.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from what i understand once you see dredmor you can basically call it a victory, killing lord d is just tedious

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You really can just get him stuck on the other side of a moat and pelt him with 200 saw blades, if you have to.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Tollymain posted:

from what i understand once you see dredmor you can basically call it a victory, killing lord d is just tedious

My guy is a vampire necroeconomist. They are roommates now and they probably get on real well. I am content with this. Worst case scenario I will write some fan fiction about it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hm

well, one of the mods i downloaded from steam added a random naked furry picture to the dungeon. guess i'm going to have to figure out which one :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

hm

well, one of the mods i downloaded from steam added a random naked furry picture to the dungeon. guess i'm going to have to figure out which one :v:

All of them. Welcome to Dredmor bitch :getin:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i found dredmor and got the achievement for dying to him :haw:

i had a bunch of inky hoglanterns so it was basically entirely my fault i didn't win. my build was:

Axes
Shield Bearer
Berserker Rage
Master of Arms
Assassination
Fungal Arts
Battle Geologist

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tollymain posted:

hm

The french Diggler.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I finally decided to install this and give it a try after owning it since it came out and I have been mostly hitting the random button just to see what each skill does or has in store for me. Now that I want to play the game in earnest, I realize I'm not very good and building a character. I tried just looking at builds others have posted but most were posted 3 years ago when the game first came out and are based on skills that have now been retooled and are completely different. I feel like burglary should be in every build simply for the free lock picks and xp but I honestly don't know if its truly worth it or not and I should just brute my way through traps and such. It seems like monsters re-spawn on a floor since I will run into a random 1 monster sometimes when I am backtracking but I'm not sure. Also, are you not expected to fill out all your skill trees by the time you reach dredmor and beyond?

EDIT: I forgot to add, is there any gear that boosts trap affinity or do you only get it from skills?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 17, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I finally decided to install this and give it a try after owning it since it came out and I have been mostly hitting the random button just to see what each skill does or has in store for me. Now that I want to play the game in earnest, I realize I'm not very good and building a character. I tried just looking at builds others have posted but most were posted 3 years ago when the game first came out and are based on skills that have now been retooled and are completely different. I feel like burglary should be in every build simply for the free lock picks and xp but I honestly don't know if its truly worth it or not and I should just brute my way through traps and such. It seems like monsters re-spawn on a floor since I will run into a random 1 monster sometimes when I am backtracking but I'm not sure. Also, are you not expected to fill out all your skill trees by the time you reach dredmor and beyond?

EDIT: I forgot to add, is there any gear that boosts trap affinity or do you only get it from skills?

Monsters do gradually respawn, though it's not fast enough to really make a habit of grinding. Whether or not you fill out all your skill trees depeneds entirely on your skill loadout and difficulty; on the easiest difficulty with Archaelogy (for It Belongs In A Museum and trap affinity) and a source of lockpicks, you'll generally get to about L30 if you make a point to kill absolutely everything you come across. On the flipside, on Going Rogue without any bonus EXP-granting skills or abilities, you might - might hit L25 by the time you reach Dredmor (if you make it that far). Considering that skill trees have generally 4-7 skills (not counting your original skill in the tree) you'll generally get 2/3 to 3/4ths done on average, though you can easily fill out your trees if you've got a mostly melee-based build.

Trap affinity does show up occasionally on artifact equipment, but if you want it on non-enchanted equipment, you're basically looking at the Trapper's Toolbelt (+2 trap affinity) or mod-created items. That said, a fair number of skills boost trap affinity; aside from Tinkering and Smithing, both Burglary and Archaeology boost it pretty substantially, and Perception grants crazy amounts of Trap Sight, which makes it far easier to avoid traps if you don't have the skills to disarm them.

The appeal of Burglary isn't the lockpicking, though, it's the free items from vending machines. Trust me, deeper in the dungeon, when vending machines start stocking Bolts of Mass Destruction and Clockwork Sawblades/Holy Hand Grenades, the free Burglary item will save you an unholy boatload of money.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Can items be hidden in 1 square rooms that are completely walled off, kind of like the 1 square islands? I have seen a areas that look perfect for this sort of thing and I figured there might be a way to reach them.

EDIT: Is the Wyrmling supposed to have health regen? It seems awfully powerful with it and I think the effect comes and goes. It must be tied to one of my stats.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 19, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can buff minions.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah there are some walls that are destructible by certain skills. I'm not sure which all skills work, but I know thrown grenades and most AoE magic works. Try the viking magic shout or pyromancy's fireball.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can buff minions.

Well I know I don't have a buff that regens 1 health per turn indefinitely. Which is what was happening. Its cool through. Once I re-summoned him because he was stuck, it went back to normal.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Double post.

So can you pick up any trap if your affinity is high enough? It just seems like any gargoyle trap I just can't pick up which makes sense, since the gargoyle can't come with you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah you can pick up any trap that doesn't have a wall launcher associated with it, although there was a funny bug many patches ago where you could sometimes find gargoyle traps as loot, and placing one on the ground would magically spawn a gargoyle on the wall to the north of it.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Will rocket powered punch work on breakable walls? I couldn't find anything conclusive. If not what is the deciding factor on what skills WILL break the walls?

EDIT: Are there any defining features of breakable walls?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 20, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't know

dredmor is really bad about telling you what things do, really

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Will rocket powered punch work on breakable walls? I couldn't find anything conclusive. If not what is the deciding factor on what skills WILL break the walls?

EDIT: Are there any defining features of breakable walls?

Most of the time you're just going to have to experiment and learn the map.

Rocket Punch leaves a smoke trail, but it's not an AOE skill so it won't break walls. It is useful for knocking items off islands.

Rocket JUMP, however, will break walls as long as you blast off or touch down next to them.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Most of the time you're just going to have to experiment and learn the map.

Rocket Punch leaves a smoke trail, but it's not an AOE skill so it won't break walls. It is useful for knocking items off islands.

Rocket JUMP, however, will break walls as long as you blast off or touch down next to them.

Be careful with that, though, because until your HP or Fire Resistance is high enough, each rocket jump is gonna hurt like the dickens. (Dickens hurt a lot.)

If you have it, Parabolic Goomba Stomp has an AOE that breaks walls, too. The basic rule of thumb is "is it an AOE skill that you can cast without an enemy nearby". Thus, Fireball and the Clockwork jumps work, but weapon skills don't.

As far as "can you tell where they are": Sometimes a secret room will very barely be visible when you pass by it (usually you can see the top wall of it but have no way to get there) but mostly it's a matter of intuition. There's only so many room layouts in the game, and the ones with secret rooms will always have secret rooms in the exact same spots.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Gotta ask, with high end items costing almost 100k possibly, is money really an issue in this game? I have only got as low as level 3 (mostly from indecision) and I wonder if picking up traps to sell them is something to really consider.

EDIT: Sorry for all the individual questions that are rather specific, but in all the time this game has been out I can't find much info on these kinds of things. A lot of it is just repeated.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 21, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Money is important early on so you can grab out-of-depth items in shops and it's important later on so that you can buy lots of high end ammo. If you pull a piece of endgame jewelry out of a fountain you're pretty well set, yes, but you definitely can't count on that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That being said, there's several ways to exploit stores to make it easier to amass a solid fortune and/or acquire any items for sale in vending machines and shops that are nice (some more obviously intended than others).

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
The more I play this game the more my OCD kicks in. Tell me that walking through traps and picklocking doors isn't all that necessary in the grand scheme of things. Since I have only made it as low as the 4 level I don't actually know how much xp you generally get from sending high end artifacts to the museum. I don't even get mad when a monster walks on a trap because I want the xp, its because I want to sell that trap to Brax. I need help.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Don't worry about it, it's a very tiny ammount of XP and gold you can get from traps and doors. There are many other ways to break the game that are way, way more effective. Sending stuff to the museum is an excellent way to get lots of XP so send stuff you don't need right away, it's usually worth it.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I meant to add, is there ever anything of actual note in the brown chests? At this point I feel like bashing them open and not caring if I break it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Occasionally you'll get potions or food or booze from them that are handy to have, or, ironically enough, more lockpicks.

It's not going to ruin a run if you bash chests, though. The most important stuff is typically either self-made, bought from a shop, or an artifact.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I wish the info out there was a little more comprehensive. I really want to know what skills actually blow open secret walls. Namely Remember Your Charlemagne. I can't seem to distill from all the conflicting info out there what it is that makes a skill able to break down a wall.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The egyptian sandstorm does everything. That's my advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Psychokinetic Shove in the Psionics skill tree is a cheap wall-mover that you can get as early as your first level-up.

• Locked thread