Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I've been here since the board was free. There was a mass migration when the 3dfiles.com boards shut down to this place which was free then. Then I got banned for something or other and had to give up ten bucks.

The board was a MUCH different place back in those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsSoNotPLUR
Nov 29, 2011

I joined in 2006 because I was bored and I like internet forums. I wasn't too too into it, generally just read topics about comic strips. Then I got into politics and LF came about and I was on here all the time.

I like SA because the paid for accounts and heavy handed moderation style give it a very good quality of discussion. Most of the other forums I like to read are mainly people trolling and acting stupid, which I do love, but it's nice to have a balance.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I joined originally in 1963 after lurking since the mid-50s. The giant "What shot JFK?" photoshop thread drew me in. You might remember an animated gif of the then-topical Duchess of Argyll flashing JFK while wearing nothing but a pearl necklace. That was mine.

I didn't get banned or even probated until 1969. In the moon landing thread, I said, "Whooohooo! Next we're going to land on the sun!" I was rather embarrassed, so I registered a new account and then made fun of my old account with my new account so that I could seem cool.

I forgot my password at one point, so I reregistered in 1982 when the forums switched to Colecovision. I got banned two years later for "spoiling" the ending of Gandhi and didn't return for months out of anger.

In 1995, I was a mod of the short-lived "Hidden Disney Penises" subforum. I got probated for something stupid and took a break, reregistering under a different name. In 1998, I got banned for a poorly-received threat titled, "Photoshop the US Embassy Bombings!" Since then, I have been banned twice and reregistered under a few different names.

I'm much more goony, you see, than this account's June 2012 registration date.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ChairmanMeow posted:

I think we should talk more about how the forums has affected our gaming.

SA taught me that you should always be mean to pubbies, and that doing so is often more fun than the game you're playing.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I joined when there used to be :filez:. I stayed because isn't this where all the assholes go?

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

I only looked at Photoshop Phriday on the main site for years and then around age 18 or 19, I started poking around the forums and thought they looked like a good time waster, since I had a lot of time to waste, and also an income disposable enough to warrant buying an account.

Years later, I'm still here, still wasting time.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My friend showed me a few threads back when we were in college. I got hooked after he bought me an account.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Close to ten years ago, when I was young, Something Awful was the first site my parents ever blocked out of concern for my moral welfare. Now I have come full circle.

Also one of my friends is a goon and drew my attention to the board. I lurked for a long while and finally caved and bought an account.

ectoplasm
Apr 13, 2012

MaDMaN posted:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
I'm a lonely person with few friends. That's why.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

TLG James posted:

It was free.
We were goons before there were goons.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Swillkitsch posted:

Close to ten years ago, when I was young, Something Awful was the first site my parents ever blocked out of concern for my moral welfare. Now I have come full circle.

Also one of my friends is a goon and drew my attention to the board. I lurked for a long while and finally caved and bought an account.

Your parents have an account.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
When I was fifteen or so one of my internet friends mentioned the site. It was in the context of the miscarriage shrine thing so my first impression was not great. But somehow I got into reading the Comedy Goldmine, and thought hey, some of this stuff is pretty hilarious.

I didn't work out where the material for the Goldmine came from until links to forum threads started coming up. Then I began reading the forums, especially A/T and GBS. I joined to avoid the annoying ads and had no intention of posting. After my ex-boyfriend dumped me in July 2010, I started posting regularly in E/N; the breakup thread probably saved my sanity.

Trying to explain the appeal of the forums to others is often quite difficult. Yes, the rules are strict and it costs US$10 to join (and more if you want an avatar, private messaging, search, etc), but the quality of the posting is worth it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Well, I was always born to be a Goon. I got no real friends except my lovely family. I'm rear end ugly and I got a crooked back from when my mom dropped me down the stairs as a kid. She hated me since the day I was born and would always call me her gimped bastard. My rear end in a top hat of a dad, when he's not sleeping around without other women, is arguing with her and bossing me around.
My love life isn't much better. I know my wife dated my brother (gross right?), and I've got the sneaking suspicion they might still be going at it behind my back.
Works cool though I spend all my time forging lightning bolts for my dad to smite mortals with.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think I joined because of a LP? It was when SA would sometimes block things to people without account.

Also because this Forum is pretty funny, Helldump was hilarious, LF too.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
As previously mentioned, I joined for files. Stuck around because I enjoy reading and am always able to find something interesting. It is also a great knowledge base without all the immaturity that plagues 95% of the internet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This place is almost the least retarded corner of the internet.

Venerable Monk
Jun 28, 2012

Being an MMO player, I've encountered Goons in many of the games I've played. I knew that SA was the website they were based out of, but for some reason never took the time to actually check it out.

A few days ago I finally decided to stop by and see what SA was about.

What I found blew me the gently caress away. The quality of the OP's for each game is staggering, but what surprised me the most was the sheer number of games that Goons are involved in. For example, my friends and I used to play a mod called "cRpg". I will forever remember our first few days, hiding naked with pitchforks trying to leech experience. I vividly remember our worst enemy - a fearsome woman with beautiful golden hair, riding on an armored steed. She was known as "LLJK Lady Gaga" and the amount of times that dude killed us cannot be measured by any device known to man.

Imagine my surprise when I checked the cRpg thread and saw that the LLJK clan is from SA. Its like I've stumbled into some real illuminati type poo poo - nowhere is safe from you guys.

Upon viewing the other sections, I found that contrary to everything people told me about SA/Goons, it really is a place that rewards intelligent discussion and has little tolerance for trolls. Everywhere I looked (well, apart from FYAD, l0l) I found quality posts and real dialogue. I found a community of like-minded individuals spanning a wide variety of my interests, from gaming to politics, science, music, traditional/digital art, and more.

And so, needless to say, I signed up. I wish I would have discovered SA much sooner, but I look forward to good times with you guys in future games as well as other endeavors.

See you in Guild Wars 2 :)

Venerable Monk fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 22, 2012

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I joined to post in this thread. Eight years of practice posting just for this one moment.

It's my time to shine.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

I really wanted to argue about sports

Machiavellist
Jul 1, 2012
I joined for the professional forums, and because I've enjoyed reading the posts here for a few months. I finally caved and bought an account today, so I might be able to offer my insight, though limited it may be, to all of the different topics here. Who knows maybe someone will benefit from something I have to say as much as I have from some of the comedy, and information I've encountered here.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Safe and Secure! posted:

I had been lurking SA for a few years and wanted an account, but didn't want to ask my parents to buy me one and reimburse them for it, since it seemed like a weird thing to do.

Then, I was either 18 or 19, and I had a debit card, and my dog ate a grape. Everything I could find on Google suggested that grapes were very poisonous for dogs and I was kind of freaking out, but I wanted to make sure before deciding to call a vet, so I payed $10 to get an account here. My first post was a thread on Pet Island asking if dogs could survive eating one grape.

Is your dog OK, did you take it to a vet?

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
The front page brought me in, and then the feature where they let you read some of the best threads (forums Friday?) Sold me on it. I think it was Bruiser's thread about being a street sweeper and someone with unicorn in their username talking about working in repossesion. I dropped the ten and never looked back.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Crankit posted:

Is your dog OK, did you take it to a vet?

Sounds like it ate 1 grape.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I found the forums when it was linked from somewhere else (I forget where),and the thread that was linked was the one about the jailbait subreddit being removed, or something, and there were a lot of people being very happy about it.

I remember getting a bit weirded out by how earnest some people seemed to be, but then I'm very laid back.

Then I went to A/T and read about working in the Merchant Navy, living at the South Pole, being a traffic engineer, a girl who believes she's soul bonded to anime dudes, BEEEEEES! and a few other that I can't remember. Reading through them took about a fortnight of just staring at my screen unblinking whenever I had time, and then after that I lurked for a few months without buying my account, reading GBS, E/N, A/T, CC and NMD. I really liked the heavy-handedness of the mods - shitposting = probation. Keeps content considered, I find. Still mostly terrified of posting, though. :ohdear:

When I finally did, I found that I oddly missed the word filter!

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

PromethiumX posted:

I've been here since the board was free. There was a mass migration when the 3dfiles.com boards shut down to this place which was free then. Then I got banned for something or other and had to give up ten bucks.

The board was a MUCH different place back in those days.

Same here. That's when I came. I have no recollection when exactly I registered, but I do know the forum was more of a free-for-all. There were few rules, but I broke them because I was banned before we had to pay to register. The front page brought me here. I remember specifically there was a Jeff K comic about video game developers on an island. It made me laugh a lot. I figured I'd join the forum.

My username back when was Sonicdrift and I posted a fairly large thread about camel spiders. That one was lost to time. I was banned for spamming a thread with a gigantic picture of Wario inflating a spaceship. I've been back under many different usernames.

My favorite early Something Awful memory is the Something Awful land we built up on Active Worlds. That was a lot of fun. Hard to believe that ever happened...

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT
The forum I was posting on at the time was extensively mocked on SA. I read the thread over a period of months and gradually concluded that the goons were basically right and that their forum had a much saner and healthier culture than the one I was involved in. And they let you make fun of people when they deserved it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I was playing Warcraft 3 with two friends in a mode we referred to as "Cops and Robbers" when I ran into Integral, Lowtax's old trainwreck fiance and a mod at the time. Cops and Robbers involved all three of us playing as human, with the following rules:

Player 1 was the Sherriff (Mountain King) and controlled the Squad Cars (steam tanks)
Player 2 was the Deputy (Paladin) and controlled the Riot Squad (Towers/barricades and Footmen with Defend permanently toggled on)
Player 3 was the Commish (Archmage) and controlled the Attack Choppers (Flying machines)
No other units were allowed.

-Every action had to be announced over the Police Scanner (All Chat) in advance to give the opponents fair warning
-Every action had to be role-played at all times
-Warrants would need to be announced to attack a base

So basically we would act like giant dicks, pretending to be police departments, talking constantly about what we were and would be doing with our units at all times, and overall humiliating opponents because all three of us were high-level tournament players at the time and we would win pretty much every game we played doing this.

After beating someone by the name of SAIntegral and 2 other goons they sent me a message laughing about our schtick and incredulous that we had still managed to win. I was already an SA reader and Integral offered me an account. Then a few months later she was banned in a hilarious dramastorm and that's my story.

Levo
Aug 19, 2002
woah guys I posted again!
Because I wanted to be l33t liek JeffK!!!11

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
I was on deployment in 2008. Although I sometimes had time off, there wasn't anything on the flyspeck desert base to do when I did. So, I spent a lot of time on the internet. I was linked to a thread about a bunch of awkward sexual stories, then a later one about lovely job experiences. After reading through those, I poked around some more, and then joined so that I could share as well.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
My brother pledged to buy me an account so I'd stop reading Ebaum's world. I first started lurking around the pink flyer time. Years later I had forgotten all about it because I was too busy playing TF2, and my brother got me an account and named it after a old family inside joke.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I spent most of my youth dicking around GameFAQs--developed a few friendships which culminated into a small AIM chatroom; with both that and the advent of my finding LiveJournal I went on less and less. I only really used the thing for a handful of subforums anyway. My memory gets kind of blurry here, but I think at some point in the middle of high school, one of the AIM regulars linked us all to a Let's Play thread and my teenage self thought it was the greatest thing ever. He also linked to that one goldmined thread about a dude incinerating bees on a swingset, which was also fascinating.

Eventually I moved onto tumblr and forgot all about SA in general until I was doing a google search some years later and stumbled upon the Baldur's Gate megathread and probably pissed myself. Something about the idea of so many people going on about a game I've played maybe half of my life, that nobody else I'd known personally had ever heard of, was crazy to me. The quality of the posting was leagues above the troll and :effort:-posting I was used to seeing on GameFAQs as well, so I was intrigued. Spent a few months lurking before the forums completely closed up to guests, and by then I was totally okay with spending :10bux: to keep reading.

I think another part of it too was how much the whole thing just reminded me of what GameFAQs could have been, given a decent mod staff and better userbase. Their moderation was probably better than half the lovely proboards out there and somewhat heavy-handed but kind of for the wrong reasons? As in, swearing and spoilers were way probatable but being a smug dick was not. Mod nepotism/cronyism was still a huge deal too (some actions ignored because the mod and user were buddies) and most barely posted in their respective forums, making them achieve a sort of bullshit Voldemort status in some circles. In a way finding SA for me was essentially like finding the bizarro GameFAQs. Between that and the Mermaid Shelly thread I'm glad I spent the money.

flocons de mais
Oct 4, 2008
I joined so I could read/watch the LP forums. I ventured out into ask/tell, BFC, GWS, GiP, E/N, and GBS. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and information and I find I can lose hours here reading about anything and everything imaginable.

SA is a great place :3

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Some are born Goon, some acheive Goon, others have Goon thrust upon them. Yeah, it was one of those for me.

Hoofbite
Sep 6, 2003

I loved Photoshop Phriday and Cliff Yablonski, so I decided to sign up for the forums. Pretty sure this is the only good forum left on the internet.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I used to read the front page and avoided the forums. Then one day I decided to explore the forums and found the Let's Plays. I actively followed Totalbiscut's LP of Shining Force III until he abandoned it (why TB, why? :negative:). I then introduced a friend of mine to it and we would read the Gaschamber for hilarious threads like "How long would it take for you to tear a gorilla in half?" and "You're a homophobe if you've never tried pegging" (Why I remember their names I'll never know). Said friend then bought me an account and now I mostly post in Let's Play and TCC.

Also, I've stopped reading the front page since I just bookmark Let's Play and start my day from there.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Mockingbird gifted me my account. The account outlasted our acquaintance. :( The only stipulation was that Mockingbird got to choose the avatar and I could never change it. This was back in the day when it was cool to try to find the Grossest Internet Thing. So Mockingbird found this god awful Cowboy Bebop comic where Ed rapes the rest of the crew with an alien that pretends to be a strap on vibe, I think. Ten years later it's still here.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I lurked the forums a lot back in 06 and finally bought an account four years later.

I came for the hilarious nature of the forums and staying for the same. Not to mention it's awesome playing games with goons.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I joined after numerous recommendations from the same friend, lurked Ask/Tell for ages, then stumbled upon D&D and LF in particular.

Because of all that I am the insufferable rear end in a top hat I am today.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Joined to read about all the EVE Online drama, stayed to retain my sanity.

Best :10bux: i ever spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
A Goon I knew in real life said the forums were good and bought me an account. Initially, it was a great comedy site, now its mainly where I go for info and discussion on games and electronics.

• Locked thread