Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

I read a webcomic called Kid Radd like a decade ago that eventually explored that sort of thing. Being a webcomic from a decade ago it's probably not actually any good, but you might as well check it out.
This reminded me of Hack 'n' Slash, a game whose central conceit involves actually changing the game code as you went along (well, more transparently than you usually do in the course of playing a game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

wait, that's what that game is about? Wish I'd bought it now...
It looks pretty great.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I remember when I was a kid and really frustrated by a tough and inscrutable game called Asylum on the C64 (:corsair:). At one point I chose to load a nonexistent save file and removed the disk from the drive mid-load. The game "loaded" me into the start room with a bunch of great items, including keys you wouldn't normally find until much later (if you were lucky enough to find them at all). It also dumped a handful of event messages onto the screen, so I guess a fair number of flags were set somewhere along the way.

From then on, I never started the game the normal way...but I still didn't beat it for another twenty years.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

If anyone needs to be convinced to read/follow this, here are a handful. Game names are spoilered if you want to try guessing the game based on the bug.
The Twitter account mentioned earlier doesn't include game names, though, right? That's kind of a bummer.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It even showed up on Kotaku! I didn't know it was a goon/some goons who discovered it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

GTFO with that "yoo-bee-eye soft" poo poo.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

If a boy in my 8th-grade class would copy a C64 disk of cracked games for me, I knew he must like me. :3:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That would have terrified me as a little kid, drat. Hell, I'm uneasy now!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Outstanding. Thank you so much for this. I haven't laughed that hard since the Before Times.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

There's a chainsaw without gas in Maniac Mansion and a gas can in Zak McKracken. I always hoped I could somehow get one transferred with save game fuckery but you can't :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bows1 posted:

wait so why is it in the captions
Someone done hosed up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, my God, this is fantastic. :allears:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My son can't get this to work on his physical copy. :iiam:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Large Testicles posted:

it looks loving terrible but it's still fun to play
That seems to be the consensus here, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Jawnycat posted:

In my experience graphical glitches like that tend to be indicative of something going wrong with your gpu; clown vomit style graphical issues also are signs, albeit those tend to mean your gpu is dying. Last time I had stuff blowing up like that in an old game I should have had no issues with, it was indeed too much dust causing problems.
I can run games fine on what is ostensibly a gaming laptop, thought it's hardly high-spec...but I get graphical artifacts on almost every page of the forum--little hairs, like these:

It's not much, but it's something new that doesn't belong there. Reckon a good dusting would help?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Computers can get Morgellons now?
My first thought exactly! :tinfoil:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

Check the error logs
You're looking at 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Getting elon’s new X-Optics that let me browse twitter with my eyes and they start showing me AR ads based on my location, stop loading after two days and then fry my optical nerves
Shades of Hypnospace Outlaw.