Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I've been putting off listening for months. Finally downloaded episode 1 yesterday and proceeded to marathon through the entire goddamn series.

drat. You.

You know what? This show would sound kickin' rad broadcast in the middle of the night on shortwave. Make this happen and I'll die happy, if I've earned the right to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I think I may have just jizzed.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

And for the love of god, crosspost the sched to the Shortwave listening thread in DIY & Hobbies.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

With the huge audience this is getting, I really hope this turns the current generation on to the joys of radio theater.

As Douglas Adams said: "Radio is superior to TV because the pictures are better."

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Isn't the argument about Cecil being blind easily negated by how he rambles on about Carlos' physical appearance?

Also, I LOVE the faceless old woman episode. So much so, that I'm thinking of renaming my freeform americana music project "The Melting Point of Birds."

Would there be any objection to this?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 12, 2013

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Tonight I seem to be overly preoccupied by my hatred for Telly the Barber.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I was just playing Star Trek Online and I encountered a player going by the name of Captain Cecil. The ship was the USS Night Vale.

This really has permeated everything. Night vale fandom is a thing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

I don't really even "see" Cecil, when my brain start making a movie out of an episode it shoots around him. It's just a 1980's era radio dj both with cuts to microphones, lit "on air" signs, blinking control panels with tiny levers and a rare shot of a dress shirt clothed shoulder or back. Like those old shows and movies where the director just wanted somebody to be a voice on the radio and nothing more.

This exactly. I have a clear mental image of every character except Cecil.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The podcast update on the first and the fifteenth, so I'm guessing new episode Sunday.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

maxnmona posted:

All Things Considered

SWEET. When will this air?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I kinda want to record half an hour of shortwave static and warbles and mix it into episodes of Night Vale and tweak it a bit in Logic studio to make it sound like it's coming out of a shortwave receiver.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Love how this week's weather thematically fit into the program.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Wow, there sure are a lot of teenage girls dressing up like Cecil in front of their computers and guilting their tannest female friends into making out with them.

Though really I shouldn't joke, because had the internet been what it is now when I was thirteen I would have been dressing up like Lucas Wolenczak from seaQuest for a webcam.

That's horrible and you shouldn't admit to such a thing.

I would have been dressed as Wesley Crusher.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

That was incredibly thought-provoking.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

As soon as Hyram started speaking I immediately recognized the voice and nearly poo poo myself in glee. I've never had to rewind an episode so many times because I lose poo poo while laughing so hard, nor have I exclaimed "OH poo poo" so many times at a plot twist and had to rewind to make sure I heard what I thought I heard.

I know you say there's no fixed plan for the series, but the way the plot threads came together in this episode made the whole thing up to now seem densely plotted and now it's going to be a long-rear end two weeks.

Also, people who like this show really need to read "American Elsewhere." It's a somewhat lovecraftian sci-fi horror novel about eldritch horrors who just want to carve out their own slice of the small town American dream. It's written by Robert Jackson Bennett, who used to post here under the name Spiny Norman (and his threads were beautifully epic) and published by Orbit books. Came out back in February. Definitely not a night vale ripoff, because he started writing it in 2011, but seems to inhabit a similar (although far less comedic) head space. Very much worth reading.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Indeed, and all of his other books are very much worth reading.

Also, am I alone in thinking "Believe in a smiling god" is just about the creepiest phrase ever?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 1, 2013

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Phylodox posted:

God, I love that this mayoral race comes down to Matilda vs. Hank Venture.

A million times this. I bet when they introduced Hiram McDaniels last year they never thought they'd end up having the creative mastermind behind Venture loving Brothers providing the voice.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Phylodox drinks to forget.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

PLEASE tell me Steve Carlsburg will be appearing on the podcast itself!

Not that I actually want to hear that guy's voice. What an rear end in a top hat.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

On fuckin' pins and needles waiting for the new episode.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Yes. But I think Cecil was at his most unreliable as a narrator today.

loving awesome episode, got lots of theories about it. Still like the name Baldwin better, but oh well

Theory 1: Cecil was killed when he was 15 and reborn, fulfilling his mother's prophecy
Theory 2: The current Cecil is actually the dark spirit that was behind him
Theory 2: Kevin is his brother (because of the eyes)

I think 2 and 3 are spot-on.

Also was young Cecil voiced by Cecil? Because I thought it sounded like maxnmona.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

One bit of the show I initially didn't cotton to was the Weather. Over time, however, it became one of my favorite bits. More and more the songs are tonally/thematically matching what's happening in the story and most of the music is loving fantastic. Really loving Squalloscope.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Don't forget Dengue Fever. They've been getting a lot of love from NPR the last couple years and rightly so.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Also I did a weather song.

SHUT UP NOBODY ASKED YOU

Just kidding. I love you.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I think it's that he's a bit more animated. Early on he played it very flat and deep, but he has more leeway to bounce around since he's settled into rhe character.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Thank crap I finally found the thread again. Had to use Google to find it because it wasn't showing up in forum search. That'll teach me not to bookmark threads...

Thanks for rescuing it from degenerating shitstorm that is now GBS.

Anyway...

Little late to the party, but the new episode is fantastic. I loved how when the weather ended, the computer was there going on a tirade about creating a perfect world. Somehow I just KNEW that it was going to be cutoff mid-sentence because somebody had the presence of mind to unplug the drat thing. I was not disappointed.

Also Nthing the love for this week's weather.

A friend of a friend in Seattle was dressed as Cecil for halloween, only she was dressed as weirdo fan art tattoos-and-third-eye Cecil. :rolleyes:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Slaan posted:

Yeah, purple/gray polos or button down shirts with a 36 hundread pound 5-headed dragon on the breast instead of the usual 'polo player' embroidery. Looks good enough for the standard work day, but shows your geeky side to those who pay attention.

YES! I want this.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I'd post my thoughts on the new episode, but UGH... Doing stuff! AmIrite?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Werong Bustope posted:

Cecil's little laugh in the Brown Stone Spire segment is fantastically creepy.

Fantastically, deeply, unsettlingly, majestically creepy.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Holy poo poo, this episode you guys. Holy poo poo.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I've listened to the new episode 3 times so far. Definitely a new favorite. Well loving done.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I started getting serious chills during the Traffic. I was thinking "Holy poo poo, this is getting real, yo."

Cecil is one hell of an actor. Some actual serious drama is working its way into this show, and it seems perfectly natural at this point. The writing, acting and music all just get better and better with no sign of slowing down.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Also, I couldn't stop laughing at Wednesday on the community calendar. Cecil's delivery of that is loving hysterical.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

If the reverse side of the red card is sort of greenish, but with more dimensions, report to the BROWN STONE SPIRE and submit. It is too late for you, but it may not be too late for those you love.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

maxnmona posted:

Oh, and really, really big news coming in the intro to the next episode.

I suddenly find myself somewhat erect.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

maxnmona posted:

I can honestly say it's the most exciting news of my entire life so far, and I can't talk about it at all until Sunday.

Standing at full attention.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I love you.

Weirdly enough, while I have very clear mental images for Mayor Pamela Winchell, Old Woman Josie, Carlos (perfect Carlos!), 13 year old Tamika Flynn and John Peters, you know, the farmer? I have absolutely NO picture in my head of Cecil.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

MikeJF posted:

oh, and Dana, but I just see Jasika Nicole so that's probably a cheat

Same here.

Intern Dana's pretty hot.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

jazz babies posted:

Is there a site I can stream the episodes from that don't include the weather?

Steve Carlsberg spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

The weather in the new episode is particularly awesome if you imagine you're staring at a "Technical Difficulties" sign with like a dog running off with Cecil's microphone while listening to it.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD! That's the exact mental image I had, minus the dog.