Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CatCannons posted:

New census calculation finds higher rate of poverty in U.S.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57549919/new-census-calculation-finds-higher-rate-of-poverty-in-u.s/

You have three months if you are fired to become a homeless person in america. 6 months, if you cut off cable, phone, and start walking. Assuming you do not have a credit card debt, which the average american has $27,000 in.

Would it be worth overlaying a map of minority communities and a map of Democratic-leaning counties? It's a no-brainer that such counties would lean Democratic with the Republicans declaring war on everyone but rich white cis straight men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

N. Senada posted:

I really like this one.

:golfclap: I'd like to believe the uploader created a second account, and filed a complaint against himself.

Fugitive Slaves in the Dismal Swamp, Virginia, 1888, oil on canvas, 17 x 14 in., on display at the New-York Historical Society. Painting depicting pre-Civil War era of a generation earlier.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 19, 2012

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

scary ghost dog posted:

The Tavor, standard infantry weapon of the IDF

The M16A2 Rifle, standard infantry weapon of the US army

What exactly is this attempting to demonstrate, though? That the IDF is using more futuristic-looking equipment than the American military?

The QZB-95, standard issue of the Chinese People's Liberation Army.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

The Tavor, standard infantry weapon of the IDF

The M16A2 Rifle, standard infantry weapon of the US army

Not sure what exactly what you're trying to say here, but I'm guessing its "The IDF are fighting with weapons from Outer Space!"

Tavors, like all bullpups, are largely gimmicks. The Galil, the previous Israeli standard issue weapon, is still issued to the IDF and I would argue that it is a superior weapon in most regards to the Tavor.

Of course, optimal small arm weaponry is largely irrelevant if your army solely exists to suppress unarmed civilians.

Purgey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 19, 2012

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Purgey posted:

Not sure what exactly what you're trying to say here, but I'm guessing its "The IDF are fighting with weapons from Outer Space!"

Tavors, like all bullpups, are largely gimmicks. The Galil, the previous Israeli standard issue weapon, is still issued to the IDF and I would argue that it is a superior weapon in most regards to the Tavor.

Of course, optimal small arm weaponry is largely irrelevant if your army solely exists to suppress unarmed civilians.

Pretty much, they tried putting the magazine in all kinds of places and generally just end up going back to the tried and tested standard magazine place. Alot of the time it seems like trying to improve something and ends up just bringing up more faults then good (like the SA80 series). :suicide:

Side and top didn't catch on really in modern stuff.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Purgey posted:

On the other hand, their up-armored vehicles are pretty low tech.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Chantilly Say posted:

What exactly is this attempting to demonstrate, though? That the IDF is using more futuristic-looking equipment than the American military?

Purgey posted:

I assume the point is that the IDF uses bullpups and carbines while the US uses rifles. The reason for that is because shorter weapons are better for stopping civilian revolt - better to clear tight restrictions that come with indoors/city fighting, less penetration means it is fine if you are against people without body armor and don't want to trash the surroundings. Whereas rifles are better for greater distance and penetration, but are more cumbersome if you are out to suppress a population. In other words, the IDF is supplied around the mission of curbstomping civilians, where as the US is still focused around fighting other armies.

Since I need a picture, nerd chat time: this is one of the few things George Lucas did showing he still had some semblance of subtlety. The Clones, fighting a war, use rifles

The later stormtroopers, suppressing and terrorizing people, use carbines

And the shocktroopers inbetween the two use both

Using the rifles in scenes where they are fighting the war, and carbines as soon as they shift to being the fascist occupation force.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 19, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dOjhdMs2oY

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fried Chicken posted:

I assume the point is that the IDF uses bullpups and carbines while the US uses rifles. The reason for that is because shorter weapons are better for stopping civilian revolt - better to clear tight restrictions that come with indoors/city fighting, less penetration means it is fine if you are against people without body armor and don't want to trash the surroundings. Whereas rifles are better for greater distance and penetration, but are more cumbersome if you are out to suppress a population. In other words, the IDF is supplied around the mission of curbstomping civilians, where as the US is still focused around fighting other armies.

Since I need a picture, nerd chat time: this is one of the few things George Lucas did showing he still had some semblance of subtlety. The Clones, fighting a war, use rifles

The later stormtroopers, suppressing and terrorizing people, use carbines

And the shocktroopers inbetween the two use both

Using the rifles in scenes where they are fighting the war, and carbines as soon as they shift to being the fascist occupation force.

I'm pretty sure that Half-Life 2 subtly does this too. In the early game, your major opposition is the Civil Protection, who are glorified school bullies, and their weapons include suppressionary weapons such as stunsticks, manhacks (drones with spinning blades), and the real life MP7.

As you progress through the game, the enemies change into the infantry, the Combine Overwatch, who are equipped with an energy pulse rifle.

By the end of the game, you're constantly fighting against the Combine's invasion force onto each world. Each episode so far has had the Strider, basically Tripod-style things with disintegration lasers, as an end-game quasi-boss.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fried Chicken posted:

Literally everything in that paragraph is wrong.

Spaceguns!

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

TinTower posted:

I'm pretty sure that Half-Life 2 subtly does this too. In the early game, your major opposition is the Civil Protection, who are glorified school bullies, and their weapons include suppressionary weapons such as stunsticks, manhacks (drones with spinning blades), and the real life MP7.

As you progress through the game, the enemies change into the infantry, the Combine Overwatch, who are equipped with an energy pulse rifle.

By the end of the game, you're constantly fighting against the Combine's invasion force onto each world. Each episode so far has had the Strider, basically Tripod-style things with disintegration lasers, as an end-game quasi-boss.

Almost all games do this but it's more of an increasing difficulty thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Hitler had a rad mountain house, loved dogs, and had a hookup for cocaine. Seems like a good friend.

Having a hookup for cocaine is a negative if anything :colbert: Hippie drugs 4 lyfe.

Found in this thread on the Mises forums.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sadly this is a series:

"Ghada Karmi and Ellen Siegel, in 1973, 1992 and 2001. Photos by Francis Khoo (1, 2) and Jean-Pascal Deillon (3)"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Literally everything in that paragraph is wrong.

So you want to argue that carbines have greater range than rifles?

(bullet drop comparison)

That they have greater muzzle velocity despite having shorter barrel lengths?

Or that lower velocity doesn't change penetration profile when comparing bullets of identical caliber and composition?

Or that bullpups are designed to give rifle length barrels while giving carbine length overall because carbines can be brought to bear faster due to being shorter?

Tell me, which part do you want to claim is wrong here.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
gently caress the both of you, go back to jerking it in TFR jesus christ.

Hayek and Mises, look at these fuckin shrivs.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Holy gently caress you guys are nerds, can't even do gun-chat right.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LP97S posted:

Holy gently caress you guys are nerds, can't even do gun-chat right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHY14OVk7r0

I think the Palestinians would do better if they could come up with folks songs that are fun to drink and sing to.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN0qmEa4lsQ

I dunno, traditional nasheeds seem more stirring to me than this does.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

This Thanksgiving, be sure to enjoy everyone's favorite vegetable

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This Thanksgiving, be sure to enjoy everyone's favorite vegetable

At first I laughed and I felt kind of bad, but then I remembered he did this:

and then I didn't feel so bad anymore.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Armyman25 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHY14OVk7r0

I think the Palestinians would do better if they could come up with folks songs that are fun to drink and sing to.
I don't trust any revolution that doesn't go to war half in the bag.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I guess it's because you weren't a world super power at the time. Also completely different culture back then.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 19, 2012

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

:argh::bang::commissar::cripes::sotw::wth: gently caress TAXES!!!!! :negative::fuckoff::barf::flame::stare::rant:

No, this one isn't anarchist, it's voluntarist/anarcho-capitalist.

quote:

There Will Be Blood is a 2007 American drama film written, co-produced, and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. The film is loosely based on Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel Oil!. It tells the story of a gold miner-turned-oilman on a ruthless quest for wealth during Southern California's oil boom of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Hmmm. So it's a right wing movie then.

Taxes are comparable, ethically and morally, to rape.

After this post, I think you'll find that

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

Loony Libs: boring white text on black background sign.

Tea Party Patriots: awesome and witty memes.

'Nuff said.

e: Further proof:

"Gary Johnson Style" - GANGNAM STYLE PARODY

Even the Tories are getting in on the hot meme action!

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 19, 2012

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stew Man Chew posted:

gently caress the both of you, go back to jerking it in TFR jesus christ.

Hayek and Mises, look at these fuckin shrivs.

Hans Hermann-Hoppe (right), Austrian School theorist and smugbertarian extraordinaire, who made his own conception of ethics to argue that every political viewpoint other than anarcho-capitalism was inherently immoral.

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

Hmm..

The black dot in Colorado is a county in which there is a state prison and not much else.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

ptk posted:

Hmm..

The black dot in Colorado is a county in which there is a state prison and not much else.

Wait -- there's an "American" ancestry other than Native American? And these non-Native natives settled almost entirely in the Bible Belt?

Methinks a shitload of people can't grasp even the most basic notions of genealogy.

:argh: :nws: :nms: for animal cruelty: http://i.imgur.com/3UsD6.jpg

http://www.change.org/petitions/criminal-prosecuters-in-santiago-de-chile-give-patricio-millar-the-maximum-punishment-for-his-abuse-of-dogs

http://pachnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/aspirante-que-ahorco-y-enterro-su-perro.html

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

budgieinspector posted:

Wait -- there's an "American" ancestry other than Native American? And these non-Native natives settled almost entirely in the Bible Belt?

Methinks a shitload of people can't grasp even the most basic notions of genealogy.

:argh: :nws: :nms: for animal cruelty: http://i.imgur.com/3UsD6.jpg

http://www.change.org/petitions/criminal-prosecuters-in-santiago-de-chile-give-patricio-millar-the-maximum-punishment-for-his-abuse-of-dogs

http://pachnews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/aspirante-que-ahorco-y-enterro-su-perro.html

That part of the country, it's not that uncommon for people to not know what their family's country of origin is. My family's from north-eastern Kentucky, and we have no clue what country we came from. Germany? Ireland? Scotland? Switzerland? It could be all of them or none of them. After being in the country for almost 300 years it's hard to know for sure, and quite honestly "American" is about all we really need to know.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Mo Tzu posted:

That part of the country, it's not that uncommon for people to not know what their family's country of origin is. My family's from north-eastern Kentucky, and we have no clue what country we came from. Germany? Ireland? Scotland? Switzerland? It could be all of them or none of them. After being in the country for almost 300 years it's hard to know for sure, and quite honestly "American" is about all we really need to know.

I have ancestors from half a dozen different countries that I'm aware of and there's probably a few more that I'm not aware of. I don't exactly have Mormon-level knowledge of my geneology and in all honesty I don't care. I know where the guy with my last name came from (Germany) but that was almost 300 years ago and there are lots more non-Germans in my family than Germans. I suppose I could do some in-depth investigation and decide what percentage I am of what but I really don't care and I think that's kinda dumb anyway.

e: Or at least I think I know where that first guy came from but who really knows? There's a story that's been passed down for a long time but for all I know it's completely made up and if it is I don't really care.

Pictures of a protest against the construction of a new airport at Notre Dame des Landes near Nantes, France and the police response.

Soviet Commubot fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 19, 2012

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Mo Tzu posted:

Branches of my own family tree (which also settled in that part of the country a long time ago) are obscured by adoption, Americanization of the family name, and what we believe to be lies arising from anti-German sentiment. (For example, we know that one branch, originally Kleinschmidts, became Smiths.) In this country, where the majority of the population came from somewhere else, it just seems odd that non-Native or African Americans would be given the option of plain "American" instead of "European", "Asian", "Middle Eastern", etc., on a question regarding ancestry.

Anyway, here's David Cameron in a moment of reverie:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It's world toilet day, which aims to raise awareness of sanitation issues affecting impoverished countries worldwide.

The Guardian posted:

The Golden Poo, a Japanese good luck charm (playing on the similarity between the words for 'luck' and 'poo' in Japanese) was an eye-catching exhibit at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine last month in an exhibition drawing attention to sanitation, a major killer of children in developing countries

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh the joys of new facebook friends

"Protecting" Palestinian children

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 19, 2012

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

ekuNNN posted:

Sadly this is a series:

"Ghada Karmi and Ellen Siegel, in 1973, 1992 and 2001. Photos by Francis Khoo (1, 2) and Jean-Pascal Deillon (3)"

I don't post in this thread that often but I lurk it and this picture you posted is awesome.

Here's one from Gaza in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

Donkwich posted:

Hans Hermann-Hoppe (right), Austrian School theorist and smugbertarian extraordinaire, who made his own conception of ethics to argue that every political viewpoint other than anarcho-capitalism was inherently immoral.

He's also a loving lunatic and I consider it a minor miracle that any academic institution would employ him. If you haven't read Naked Capitalism's Journey Into A Libertarian Future series, which samples heavily from Hoppe's magnum opus, I encourage you to. It's all the proof you need that Poe's Law is as true as anything can be, especially with regard to the more sociopathic tendencies of the Austrian School. I can only wonder whether Mises had any idea what sort of ideological Pandora's Box his work would open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwH3Xr6uyG0
Wrap it up leftailures, it's capitalism.

the2ndgenesis fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 19, 2012

• Locked thread