Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Barometer posted:

So much so that you can always spot them!

"Hold it, buddy...let's see your feet and underwear..."
It's very important to know who you and your friends should beat to death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
This woman looks like she's about to cry.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

quote:

A 1944 opinion poll found that 13% of the U.S. public were in favor of the extermination of all Japanese.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Broken Machine posted:

I was at the supermarket today, and saw the following bottles up on a shelf:

Picked up a bottle of the Riesling, not quite $5 and not a bad wine. I'm just stumped that there is an honest-to-goodness Lucky Duck line of budget wine.
"You can afford to spend five dollars on wine, when MY TAXES pay for your gruel!? Lucky Duuuuuuuuck!" :doom:

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Broken Machine posted:

It bugs me when artists depict the crucifixion with the nails going through his hands. People were crucified with the nail in between the radius and the ulna of the forearm. A nail through the hand like that would just rip out.
Well, not wholly the artists' fault.

quote:

The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

From Color of the Cross

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Pfffffffffft posted:

Pretty tame for Joan Rivers, i mean she said Phyllis Dillers whole act was based on her looking like an idiot a few days after she died.
That's literally the case though, that was her act.

For comparison, without the makeup:

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Radbot posted:

Yeah, I used to be a Stalin apologist until I learned about the Holodomor. Wasn't an easy way to justify that one in my mind.

Probably posted before in this thread but, the Holodomor memorial in Kiev.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Pass the biscuits, Pappy!

Pappy O'Daniel: A real person. Not to be confused with his latter day fictional counterpart, O Brother Where Art Thou's governor of Mississippi.

Not real

In reality, Pappy was a real person born W. Lee O'Daniel. Born in Ohio, raised in Kansas, W. Lee didn't move to Texas until he was 35, where he worked as a sales manager, and later advertising manager, for the Burris Mills Flour and Elevator Company. A failing daily radio spot for the company became its best sales tactic after W. Lee hired an "ol' timey" hillbilly band, dubbed the Light Crust Doughboys.

One day the regular announcer was too sick to go on air and W. Lee took the mic instead, becoming such a hit he became the regular host. OR, depending on who you ask, W. Lee, now president and general manager of Burris, just forced his way on. Regardless, there he was singing with the band, reading Bible verses, and extolling the virtues of flour, and I'll be damned if it wasn't a hit. (All else aside, the popularity of the band's sound is credited in large part for helping create, or at least popularize, Western Swing).

Even after Burris Mills and Pappy had a falling out, he took it in stride. He launched his own brand of flour, Hillbilly Flour, and established a new show and a new band, the Hillbilly Boys. It was more popular than ever, and Hillbilly Flour flew off the shelves - despite the fact that it was simply other brands of flour Pappy bought up and repackaged.

Every day at the noontime hour, across Texas could be heard the voice of Pappy O'Daniel, crooning such self composed hits as "Beautiful, Beautiful Texas," "Sons of the Alamo", and "The Boy Who Never Grew Too Old to Comb His Mother's Hair".

Pappy became a beloved figure - especially among the women of Texas, as his show had a prime slot when housewives had an opportunity to listen, and because he sang creepy songs about their sons combing their hair for eternity. On Palm Sunday, 1938, Pappy mentioned that a blind man had asked him to run for governor. He took the question to his listeners, and tens of thousands of telegrams poured in in favor of the Kansan radio announcer who had never held office or voted.

Finally a man who will give us the smokestacks we crave

So Pappy and the Boys hit the trail. They were considered a joke by the Texas political elite - at their peril. Pappy and the Hillbilly Boys toured the state in a red firetruck plastered with slogans. They made their campaign stops major events for the people of rural Texas, and pulled in crowds tens of thousands strong. He pledged to lower taxes and raise pensions for the elderly, and offered absolutely no plan by which to do this. His entire platform was "the Golden Rule, the Ten Commandments, and the Bible."

"There's a communist in that tree, look out!"

This mixture of boldfaced ignorance, religious pandering, and catchy tunes beguiled the Texan people, who gave Pappy 51% of the vote in the Democratic Primary - which was the only real contest in Texas in those days.

Pappy in a miniature, mobile Texas capitol, god bless America

Once in office, Pappy's first major move was to propose - a tax hike! Which failed. In fact, all of his propositions failed, to the extent he even bothered to propose them. And he vetoed a staggering number of bills, many for no apparent reason, purposefully stoking resentment in the legislature - so that he could go to the people and blame them drat boys in the capitol for his own failure to do basically anything. He was, of course, re-elected in 1940, and at least managed to pass the Anti-Violence Act, which could have been more appropriately called the "gently caress Unions Act". He also packed the University of Texas Board of Regents with cronies, to ferret out the communists which supposedly hid behind every door. Thanks to their heavy-handed firings, UT was ostracized by the American Association of University Professors for almost a decade.

All the while, he stayed on the air, now giving weekly Governor's addresses which targeted those drat hand-grenade chucking communists and anarchists, which we must assume 1940s Texas was simply crawling with.

Hillbilly Flour: Guaranteed to give you some kind of stroke I guess

In 1941, when one of Texas's senators died, Pappy saw an opportunity. He appointed Sam Houston's ancient son Andrew Jackson Houston as a placeholder, to prepare for his own candidacy. A.J. Houston was no political threat, and may or may not have even known he was a Senator. Right on cue, he died almost immediately.

Andrew Jackson Houston, preserved by the powers of the Holy Grail

In the ensuing special election, Pappy handed one Lyndon Baines Johnson his only defeat, when a naive LBJ announced his totals early enough for Pappy to steal just enough votes necessary to win.

But what made Pappy beloved in Texas made him seem like a weirdo and an embarrassment in Washington. And despite being the one-time composer of the song "On To Victory, Mr. Roosevelt," Pappy was a huge foe of the Roosevelt and Truman administrations. Well, I say huge foe, but as he also alienated all of his colleagues, he did little enough to actually hinder them. Pappy declined to run for re-election, and was replaced in the Senate by that same Lyndon Johnson (who had learned his lesson about vote stealing, but that's another story...). Pappy tried for governor again in the late 50s, updating his message of imminent communist revolution with some timely segregationist flavor, but the bloom was seriously off the rose at that point. He spent the remainder of his life in real estate investment and ranching, and died in 1969.

"The Business of America is Biscuits"

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 18, 2012

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

quiggy posted:

Oh poo poo right I forgot that infertile women are actually men. My bad, you win.

This is the trans flag flying over the Castro in San Francisco this past 11/20, the Transgender Day of Remembrance. It is the first time it has ever been raised there.
This makes me think: Sometimes people seem to get pissed about minorities having their own flags. The granddaddy of them all is the Pan-African flag; I know I've heard shitheads saying "If black people are REAL AMERICANS, why do they need to have their own flag?!" These are often people with rebel flag bumperstickers.

But why indeed? Well,

"Every Race Has a Flag but the Coon" was one of the most popular songs in the country around the turn of the century. Among other things, it helped solidify the usage of the word "coon" as a slur against black people.

quote:

The leader of the Blackville Club arose last Labor night
And said, “When we were on parade today
I really felt so much ashamed, I wished I could turn white
‘Cause all the white folks march’d with banners gay

Just at de stand de German band
They waved their flag and played ‘De Wacht am Rhine’
The Scotch Brigade each man arrayed
In new plaid dresses marched to ‘Auld Lang Syne’
Even Spaniards and Sweeds, folks of all kinds and creeds
Had their banner except de coon alone
Ev’ry nation can brag ‘bout some kind of a flag
Why can’t we get an emblem of our own?”

Chorus:
For Ireland has her Harp and Shamrock
England floats her Lion bold
Even China waves a Dragon
Germany an Eagle gold
Bonny Scotland loves a Thistle
Turkey has her Crescent Moon
And what won’t Yankees do for their Red, White and Blue
Every race has a flag but the coon

He says, “Now I’ll suggest a flag that ought to win a prize
Just take a flannel shirt and paint it red
They draw a chicken on it with two poker dice for eyes
An’ have it wavin’ razors ‘round its head

To make it quaint, you’ve got to paint
A possum with a pork chop in his teeth
To give it tone, a big hambone
You sketch upon a banjo underneath
And be sure not to skip just a policy slip
Have it marked four eleven forty four
Then them Irish and Dutch, they can’t guy us so much
We should have had this emblem long before”

Repeat Chorus

Charming. It was this that inspired the Universal Negro Improvement Association to later create the Pan-African flag. As Marcus Garvey said, "Show me the race or the nation without a flag, and I will show you a race of people without any pride. Aye! In song and mimicry they have said, 'Every race has a flag but the coon.' How true! Aye! But that was said of us four years ago. They can't say it now."

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Madison posted:

The man who is possessed of wealth, who lolls on his sofa or rolls in his carriage, cannot judge the wants or feelings of the day-laborer. The government we mean to erect is intended to last for ages. The landed interest, at present, is prevalent; but in process of time, when we approximate to the states and kingdoms of Europe, — when the number of landholders shall be comparatively small, through the various means of trade and manufactures, will not the landed interest be overbalanced in future elections, and unless wisely provided against, what will become of your government? In England, at this day, if elections were open to all classes of people, the property of landed proprietors would be insecure. An agrarian law would soon take place. If these observations be just, our government ought to secure the permanent interests of the country against innovation. Landholders ought to have a share in the government, to support these invaluable interests, and to balance and check the other. They ought to be so constituted as to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority. The senate, therefore, ought to be this body; and to answer these purposes, they ought to have permanency and stability.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/liberal-amsterdam-plans-scum-villages

quote:

Amsterdam still looks liberal to tourists, who were recently assured by the Labour mayor that the city's marijuana-selling coffee shops would stay open despite a new national law tackling drug tourism. But the Dutch capital may lose its reputation for tolerance over plans to dispatch nuisance neighbours to "scum villages" made from shipping containers.

The camps where antisocial tenants will be rehoused for three to six months have been called "scum villages" because the policy echoes proposals from Geert Wilders, the far-right populist, who last year demanded that "repeat offenders" be "sent to a village for scum".

Those deemed guilty of causing "extreme havoc" will be evicted and placed in temporary homes of a "basic" nature, including converted shipping containers in industrial areas of the city. "We call it a living container," says Boer. Housing antisocial tenants in these units, which have showers and kitchens and have been used as student accommodation, will ensure that they are not "rewarded" by being relocated to better accommodation.

Dutch newspaper the Parool has pointed out that in the 19th century troublemakers were moved to villages in Drenthe and Overijssel, which rapidly became slums. But Boer insists that the administration has learned from past mistakes and is not planning to house the antisocial together.

It would be more accurate to call them "scum houses" than scum villages, says Boer, "because we don't want to put more than one of these families in the same area". After up to six months in these houses, scattered around the city, the tenants will be found permanent homes. The city government anticipates moving around 10 families a year into this programme, which starts in 2013.

The temporary dwellings will be heavily policed, but antisocial tenants will also have access to doctors, social workers and parole officers. "They are taken care of so the whole situation is not going to repeat at the new house they are in," says Boer.

Home sweet home! Somehow I think these will not look as nice as the student housing pictured with the article...

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Radbot posted:

Hey, he owned the shores of Tripoli, he deserves a Marine Corps ribbon.

Noooo! Everybody edit in a photo before you're probated! :(

This reminds me of these macros, which I've been seeing online in various forms since the early Bush II days.

Charming.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Mister Bates posted:

Pawnee. Also the only flag I've ever seen which includes another, smaller flag as part of its design.
How about three other, smaller flags, courtesy South Africa:

edit: DnD Pictures Thread (PYF Flags, License Plates, and Rail Maps)

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 14, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 15, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Wow, what happened in 1835?

Rise of religious opposition, a rise in the previously ridiculously low price of whiskey, distillation concentrating into major businesses and becoming a viable target of populist political attacks, industrialization (although why specifically that year, I don't know). From The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition by W. J. Rorabaugh, who also notes that

quote:

This American experience was not unique, for a glut of distilled spirits has preceded industrial development in many modern nations. A mid-eighteenth-century craze for gin preceded England's Industrial Revolution, mid-nineteenth-century distilled spirit binges preceded the rapid transformations of Prussia and Sweden, and an upsurge in vodka consumption preceded the industrialization of Russia. In each of these cases, as in the United States, agricultural surpluses had created conditions favorable to rapid industrial development.
So countries black out and wake up the next day with factories everywhere.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This just got posted by my ultra republican, NRA supporter family

"Take this picture and sure it and share it again. Print flyers,show it to your parents, your preacher, and your coworkers. Spread the god drat word Tryranny is alive and well!"
You should let them know they're following the lead of someone who is very obviously mentally ill. Unless they also believe that:

"Jack White musician and Punk that tried to steal a 10oz bar of silver from me"

And finally:

Looks legit! http://www.wellaware1.com/

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

School Fundraiser of the Year

Campus Crusade for Christ

Student Body Presidential Candidate (Third Place), Band

Amateur Rocketry Club

Most Likely to Secede

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Joementum posted:

He's intimidating even with a basket of puppies.

I was just at the LBJ Presidential Museum, they've moved Lyndtron Bainsbot Johnson from his former perch as a friendly cowboy

to a small alcove filled with political cartoons.

But that spotlight in the picture only turns on when you press the button that makes him talk. It's very easy to pass by without noticing, turn around, and suddenly have a giant lifelike LBJ staring at you with his cold, dead eyes from the darkness.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of comics, anyone remember Prez?
Prez Rickard was no Max Frost.

zoux posted:

White people in the artforms of the people they were there to exploit/enslave/colonize:
Vaguely related:

quote:

The Country of Da Qin, is where western businessmen are gathering. The king wraps his head by cloth in pyramid shape. This land produces coral, gold, brocade with pattern, silk cloth (without pattern), pearls, etc.
Da Qin being Rome. Or at least the Roman east.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Oddly, considering what a horrible poo poo he was in just about every other possible way, Goering had something of a soft spot for animals and championed a number of measures against animal cruelty throughout the Third Reich.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Security features in paper money, an age-old concern:

quote:

The money that Franklin designed and printed for New Jersey in 1737 marked a unique advancement in technology. In an effort to prevent counterfeiting, a special form of “nature printing” was used. This consisted of making a lead casting of an actual single leaf, and using this as part of the design on the printed note. The outline and veins of each leaf were unique, and thus could not be duplicated by any other printer.

Franklin’s nature printing was so successful that it was used on numerous issues of State and Continental paper currency until 1780.

"To Counterfeit, is DEATH"

EDIT: I don't like the image choice with this one.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 26, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

How very Marie Antoinette.

Yes, I often pop to the corner shop for a pint of milk and pay with a credit card.
I don't really understand how using a card implies "rich" or "Marie Antoinette." I often use a debit card to buy stuff like milk. When I was unemployed, the state distributed payments through a government-issued debit card. The only time I don't use one is for small purchases at local shops that would lose out because of processing fees.

Patton's design for tank uniforms.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 26, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Volcott posted:

Constitutional monarchies in the British style bring in far more dosh than they cost their nations in upkeep, primarily through tourism. They're essentially living national treasures.

I really don't understand why some people have such raging hateboners for anyone with a crown.
The Dutch monarchy is the most expensive in Europe, at something like €36,000,000 a year in costs, with a population size a quarter of Britain's.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Radish posted:

That led to this story about how clearly unions are unneeded since American employers have learned from the early 1900s that worker safety is very important.

Oh Filibuster Cartoons

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Goatman Sacks posted:

The best Sapeur:

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
I had never seen the bit complaining about "dismembering Texas", which I guess must refer to Texas giving some of its land to the federal government in exchange for paying off the former republic's massive debts.

Confederate 100 dollar bill. Even their money had slaves on it.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
I tried explaining this to someone and got as far as "The program was actually started under Reagan -"
"Hah! There weren't cellphones when Reagan was President! Wow! You expect me to believe that! Reagan! Hah!" repeated ad nauseum until I gave up.

edit:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm not spun up on Greek lit: what's the right parallel to draw for a character who sells out his values for power, and it comes back to bit him in the rear end?
Agamemnon? Uses a hot button social issue to increase his own standing, is a huge piece of poo poo that alienates everyone despite prescient warnings about the inevitable effects of his behavior, and then is destroyed. After his death he is worshiped by a bunch of violent, slavery-loving yokels as a model of good government.

Eat poo poo, George Wallace.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 11, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Zeroisanumber posted:

That was not helping. Unless the car is on fire or the occupants are otherwise in danger, please, please, please do not move them or touch them or do anything except talk to them and ask them to hold still.
The media was reporting the car WAS on fire, initially - it seems like everywhere has removed that detail now.

Unrelated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

trapped mouse posted:

Not to mention Jim Sturgess:

Turning into this:

To play as a Korean. In 2012.

The dressing up as other races by white people is a long, long practice that has often been used to keep people of color out of Hollywood, preferring the much safer white actor, the one who is more likely to bring in ticket sales. It is often used to mock the person of color, with the added benefit of not needed to cast someone who would be more likely to get offended by carrying out racially stereotypical acts.

If this were no longer a problem in our media, it might be a little different. However, the altering of skin tone/facial features in order for a white actor to play a non-white role, or a white person to dress up as a person of a different race is all too common, and it's frankly awkward. If someone really, really wants to dress up as a person of color, then fine, dress up as the character without darkening skin. Better yet, just go as a different character. It's not worth getting caught up in racism in society just so you can pull off your Richard Pryor costume, or whatever.
Doesn't this example actually show that there's room for a little nuance in these sorts of discussion? Cloud Atlas was about how people of all races, genders, and sexual orientations have similar experiences that tie them together, also something about souls and an evil leprechaun guy? But whatever. It attempted to demonstrate a message of inclusiveness through race-swapping. It also had an Asian actress in whiteface.

Bae Doona in makeup:

Bae Doona (L) Halle Berry (R)

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 29, 2013

• Locked thread