Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I haven't tried 8 empires, but in 8XL you can press F12 to unbind everything on the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Morter posted:

So is there any word on how officer locations work?

I'm a prefect under another ruler, and I made a point to invite Yu Jin from Free Officer into a lieutenant, supposedly in my territory, but I can't choose him in a list of participants when I go to invade or raid. What am I missing

As far as I can tell it's random, but occasionally rulers seem to take officers you've recruited. No clue why, or how.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

yeah I also voted in Japanese for Bo. Even knowing in my heart that it was never going to happen, it hurts

Bo is the truest tecmo star

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

when you complete the merchant it becomes 1-1 each way.

Probably because there's basically no use for facility materials once you finish building stuff

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Achernar posted:

The RTK13 PUK got it's English release today. Does anyone have any impressions about it? Is it worth picking up?

I'm kinda 50/50 on it so far. On one hand, it does seem to have some pretty decent improvements in a bunch of ways, with slightly more in depth duels and debates, better character goals with the prestige system and something to do as an independent officer. I'm just not sure it's 35 dollars worth of improvement

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Chinook posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the answer. I'd like to know why anyone made it "Zhuo" instead of "Zhua" in the first place. Same with Cao Cao, of course.

Romanization is a hell of a thing basically. If you read some of the old copies of the Romance, written back when Wade-Giles was the predominant style Cao Cao's name would be written in English as Ts'ao Ts'ao. Or Tsao Tsao.

Translating languages with completely separate syllabaries is really hard

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Honestly no, none of them are worth it. The closest is the Castle and Scenario Pack, which does add a couple more scenarios, but none of them are really worth the price of admittance

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I've personally had no crashing issues with the power up kit. On the other hand I still hate that you basically have to pay an additional 35 bucks to get the games XIII should have been from the start

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

pretty boy who's playable in what feels like 2/3s of Shu's story.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Is Diao Chan supposed to be her mother because I have all but forgotten most things about that :(

Diao Chan is very notably not Lu Linqi's mother. Which is why so far they've basically never interacted, koei has no idea how to write a relationship between the two of them

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What's bad about musou all stars exactly?

people were hoping that it was basically gonna be Warriors Orochi 4 with other interesting Koei characters but instead it's generic musou with a bunch of characters that a lot of western fans just don't give a gently caress about.

I mean, I was never gonna buy it once we learned there was no Bo Jackson, but w/e

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

The football/baseball player Bo Jackson? :confused:

Okay, Bo Jackson was a game-breakingly unstoppable player back in Tecmo Bowl, probably the most beloved NFL game on the NES. When Koei-Tecmo did that whole poll to see which characters they should include in All Stars, a bunch of us westerners actually wrote him in, in a desperate attempt to get the greatest video game star in Tecmo history into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Man, Xin Xianying is a weird choice. Advertising has been mentioning 90 officers so we knew we were getting one more. Jin was the smallest faction, so it was probably going to be them. Rumor's been that the last add was gonna be a woman, but I was really expecting it to be Yang Huiyu

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

It's possible that there's more than one, but this

http://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

was the one previously linked in the thread. It is a hell of a thing

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Policenaut posted:

I got a bunch of PSN money out of nowhere as a gift and thought it might be worth getting back into ROTK13 with the Fame and Strategy Expansion Pack but good lord! It's $47 here and the base game was only $60!

Can someone who's actually played F&S give me a real rundown on how it improves ROTK13 and if it's worth paying over half of what the base game costs just to play? I wasn't a huge fan of 13 but I'm willing to give it another try, but I'm balking hard at this price tag.

the expansion pack adds a couple of things, most notably the prestige system, adding a bunch to the comrade system, along with smaller things like letters and adding a tiny amount of depth to duels/debates. Prestiges are basically titles that have specific requirements, like win so many duels, have a high enough fame, and have enough troops, and you can become a bandit or a warrior or whatever. This gives characters something to work towards at all times, and finally give players a (admittedly shallow) reason to stay independent, as you could be a merchant or a bandit or whatever. These aren't amazing, but they're a solid improvement over the base game. Comrades are kinda related to friendship, but when you've made a friend who's in the same realm as you, and at a lower rank, you can make them a comrade, which guarantees that they'll stay with you wherever you go, which is nice if you've been stuck as a governor out in the middle of nowhere with one garbage subordinate before. The real problem is that while the expansion is certainly the better way to play, paying an additional 50 bucks or whatever it's going for atm for probably should have been the base game is really rough.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I'm not sure 13 is worth paying 30 bucks for without the power up kit.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

as far as I'm aware. story mode has 10 chapters, and is vaguely character driven in each one. So like, in chapter one you can play as people who were alive and fighting during whatever time period that chapter covers. Then, depending on who you are and how you do in battles, things will allegedly change.

Now, I'm not aware of us getting to see anything about the story mode yet, so this is all still just promises (that I may be misremembering tbh) and nothing concrete yet.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

Literally anything that walks on two legs and partners with koei can be warriors

the fact that Koei Tecmo refused to include the greatest tecmo star of all, Bo Jackson in warrior all stars proves that this isn't true

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

they can get away without dubbing the side games or something like all stars, but they know they'd get a lot of poo poo for not even bothering to dub a mainline game

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

well, just got the email that amazon's shipped my copy of 9, so I guess I'm 100% committed now

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

sterling hasn't put a video out about it yet but he's dropped hints in some of his other videos that he got an advance copy of 9 and that he really didn't like it. Since there's no video it's hard to say if his dislike is "I hate the combat but the underlying ideas are interesting" or "this game is complete trash and no one should buy it"

iirc he takes the removal of weapons and selling characters as DLC way harder than most fans will too

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

well, time to blindly pray that at least some of these issues will get solved during the inevitable day one patch we all know is coming once the game is officially released

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Does this ever actually happen?

as far as I'm aware no

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I've seen a couple people really really love it

I've seen a whole lot more range from disappointed to outright hating it. I'll say I'm still holding out hope and being optimistic, but that's more based on me wanting it to be good than me actually really liking what I've seen so far in the trailers.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I don't think 9 is nearly as bad as sterling made it out to be but wow is it hard for me to really be able to praise just about anything in the game without some kind of qualifier.

- For the amount of lag and pop in I get pretty regularly it's a kinda ugly game. I'm playing on a PS4 instead of a pro or anything but still.
-The combat definitely has more potential than 6's, but at the same time the difficulty seems completely borked. Only played on normal so far, but there appear to be two flavors of NPC AI; dumb as rocks, and dumb as rocks but also rolls away from everything all the goddamn time. Enemies also have levels, but I honestly can't tell if enemy levels matter.
- I'm not morally opposed to open world in concept, but I'm not sure DW9 does anything interesting with the idea. Stages feel like a battle or two spread across a way bigger map, with resources to pick up and what I assume are radiant quests to go do random busy work. The problem becomes that rarely if ever do I want to do any of the random busy work instead of just teleporting around to do whatever side missions I can/feel like before doing the final mission before the boss.
-kinda a minor note, but it feels weird as hell to personally be solving what are sometimes really small problems or collecting resources as Cao Cao or Yuan Shao, why are these major leaders running around picking up sticks to make a necklace?

so yeah, for anyone who hasn't already bought it I'm 100% on the "do not pay full retail price for this, wait for a pretty major price drop/ maybe a xtreme legends/empires release" bandwagon

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

PC version of RotK X doesn't have English localization on any of it's PC versions, does it?

nope. the only PC versions the west got are 11 and 13 (along with maybe one of the really old ones, not 100% sure)

Jack Trades posted:

How many chapters are there in total?

13, but some of them are longer than others

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Maleketh posted:

13? The game only has 5 chapters.

so for whatever reason I saw "wang yi and pang de" and immediately assumed we we're talking about DW9 for some reason (probably just that I'm an idiot)

whoops, my bad

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 4, 2019

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

all stars was doomed from the second they didn't include bo jackson as a playable character

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

7's story mode is better. If you really care about that go, 7 first, because the QOL improvements in 8 make it frustrating to go back.

otherwise just go 8

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

http://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

DW9 is...fine? Like, there isn't anything aggressively bad about it, it just also didn't really do anything that made me go "oh wow, I'm so glad to be playing this new game I paid 60 dollars for instead of just replaying DW8 again!"

I would probably be nicer to if it I hadn't bought it at launch

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Shinji117 posted:

I have been thinking of getting DW9, but I’m a little confused as to how the DLC and character unlocks work. Any chance someone could give an idiot-proof explanation. Do I need to buy every character, do I get any free characters with the game and have to pay for the rest, that sorta thing.

the free trial version gives you three 'free trial tickets" that you can use to unlock the story modes for those three characters. You can then either purchase additional characters at like, 3 bucks each, or pay the (currently on sale for 30 bucks) full price for everyone. The DLC is separate, and is mostly additional characters, weapons, costumes, just like any other version. DLC can be purchased and used in either the free trial mode or the full version of the game

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I'm still frustrated with DW9 because it's all about this big new open world, and then barely does anything with it. It feels more like the team was told "Open world games are big! Make dyansty warriors one!" than actually wanting to include it to make the game better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Takoluka posted:

So I've been playing Warriors All-Stars, since it's on sale. Why did people dislike this game again? It's fun as heck!

a lot of it's the character choices tbh. People were hoping for a big, almost smash brothers celebration of koei and tecmo characters, and it ended up being (for most westerners) warriors orochi with maybe 10ish interesting older characters. In retrospect a lot of it was unrealistic expectations, but when the roster list was released there was a lot of "that's it?".

Policenaut posted:

Didn't have Bo Jackson or even a Tecmo Super Bowl guy.

is half meme half serious; people were seriously hoping for a game where a tecmo bowl character was something that was a real possibility