Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Have the Dynasty Warriors Blast character images been posted yet? One of the developers said that some of the character designs will eventually make it into future Dynasty Warriors games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Tae posted:

Well I hope "some" don't include this

"Some" as in characters not yet featured in DW, at least I hope so. :ohdear:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Drakenel posted:

Oh my goodness some of the burst character designs.

Look at this motherfucker. Chen Gong has nothing on Li Jue

Other standouts that I'll hope they'll include someday:

Yuan Shu, because DW desperately needs a useless joke character who's constantly laughed at by everyone.

Liao Hua, because he started out as a Yellow Turban rebel and ended up living 'till the fall of Shu. He's in pretty much every Shu battle and he desperately needs to be included.

Cheng Pu, because he's present at every major early Wu battle and his appearance is about 4 games overdue.

Yan Liang (pictured) and Wen Chou because Yuan Shao's faction deserves fleshing out. Yan Liang also looks chill as gently caress so there's that.

Lu Bu Lite Hua Xiong, especially if they keep involving him in the Lu Bu storyline.

Zang Ba, because Lu Bu could always use extra officers and the edgy 15-year old in me finds him strangely appealing for some reason.

I could add more but this post is getting long enough as it is. I'll just shut up and cry in a corner because you guys get to play SW4. :ohdear:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

So does Koei plan to release SW4 for the Wii U after the positive reception of Hyrule Warriors?

Screw that, I want to know when it's coming to PC! :colbert:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Does Samurai Warriors 4-II add story modes for all characters?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Most of you probably already know it but this 2010 Chinese Three Kingdoms show is actually pretty legit entertaining and its all on youtube with subtitles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7llSbAPwg-0

I love how they get so many characters right. Wang Yun's arrogance after defeating Dong Zhuo, Yuan Shao being cautious to the point that it negates every advantage that he had and Yuan Shu being his polar opposite in that regard and just as inept for it.

I have yet to finish it. I just hope the show doesn't revolve around Zhuge Liang as soon as he shows up. It's what killed the novels for me.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Azran posted:

Yeah, she was added alongside Hua Xiong, Yuan Shu and Dong Bai (who also had unique models before they were released as DLC).

Dong Bai ended up way more interesting than she has any right to be but I really don't understand why Xiahou Ji and Hua Xiong were made into characters. There's almost nothing interesting you can do with them.

Yuan Shu is amazing, of course.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

american warriors when

ripped af george washington dual wielding double bit axes, benjamin franklin swinging an electrified kite string whip

Koei made a WW2 strategy game at one point, I'll pay good money for World War II Warriors.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Schubalts posted:

He was a pretty lovely person in general. Just look at how he got his "wife".

Still can't believe they turned her into a playable character.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndSw-HBoFIs

ROTK X was the best game in the series and the fact that that'll probably remain so for a very long time makes me sad. :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

lurksion posted:

Steam reviews are not happy. Apparently 30fps lock & memory leak & bad performance without top of line gear & crashes/failure to loads

JFC why can't Koei get their poo poo together when it comes to their strategy titles? XIII also ran like rear end for me.

The presentation also bugs me in how 'busy' it all looks, I much preferred the more laid back approach that VIII took and X perfected. The animated Zhang Fei portrait will haunt my dreams tonight.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

dipwood posted:

ROTK14: So it looks like you can't play random mook officers? Only faction leaders? This is a big step back in management and other options too. I hope the improvements to war/battles are worth it. So far I can barely tell how this isn't just flat-out inferior to TW3K.

VIII, X and XIII were the officer focused ones. I used to love the ruler-focused games as well but I can't be bothered with them anymore, especially now that the Total War game is out.

X was the last ROTK I really enjoyed so I'm not going to bother with the series anymore unless they release one to unanimous praise.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I seem to remember that there was at least one officer-centered RoTK that had at least decent AI, either VIII or X. That's probably the nostalgia kicking in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431bE2u30p0

I can't praise the OST enough.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

Thank you for that. Now a third thing. I think I might be going crazy. I've been playing DW since 3 or 4, and when 5 came out I got really confused because they took Cheng Pu out of the game. I could never figure out why. Until today when I decided to look up the answer only to find he's in Dynasty Warriors 9. And it's his debut. I am super confused and my 'every time I go to sleep I wake up in an alternate dimension where one very minor thing is different' theory is gaining traction.

Cheng Pu only being added in DW9 is such a baffling decision in and of itself. The guy was with Sun Jian since the beginning and played a part in nearly every single engagement right up until Chi Bi. Meanwhile Ding Feng gets added despite the fact that Koei doesn't give a poo poo about Three Kingdoms history after the fall of Shu.

I guess I shouldn't complain since Wu adds have generally been pretty great, same with Wei. Shu is a WAY different story though, there's plenty of interesting people that get shafted in favor of yet another Guan kid. And then there's Xu Shu...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

quote:

Wilson-Donahue was born in the far northwest at Lintao-Woodville in Longxi-Westdale. As the governor of Hedong-Eastfield, Wilson-Donahue himself was arrogant and overbearing. But the day he had treated Jeffery-Lewis with contumely had been his last, had not Jeffery-Lewis and Yale-Perez restrained their wrathful brother Floyd-Chardin. e-reading.club

Why did anyone think this was easier to read?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, hopefully soon. Tecmo Koei has been forthright and said that they're making Samurai Warriors 5 (they said this a couple years back) so it's SOMEWHERE right now.

I loved the first two Samurai Warriors games but hated everything that came after that aside from Spirit of Sanada and even that one I didn't like that much. (3 is the only one I've never played so I can't comment on that one)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Teratrain posted:

This is why DW8CE is probably my all-time number one Musou to date. Being able to subvert the catastrophic turning-point routs like Chi Bi or Fan Castle by deviating from the story in earlier chapters is absolutely my jam.

A playable Jin scenario also feels like a solid cap to the story, even if it's more "stopping in-fighting and mopping up remnants" than a true final boss scenario like Wu Zhang Plains.

I just wish the alternate history scenarios after the turning point weren't extremely dull, with the possible exception of the Lu Bu campaign.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Azran posted:

Men of Intelligence is still my favorite.

Exotic Traitors for me.

Maybe tied with Cry for Wind and Eve.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Azran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmOB26OU6E

Maybe this time it'll be good? No news on the new character AFAIK, apparently it will no longer be open world.

Huh, the open world could've been interesting with Empires. I'm still glad they're moving away from it though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Arbite posted:

Nah, they'll just cut English voices altogether.

I can never seem to focus on the subtitles and action at the same time, bummer... :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

NameHurtBrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRoxMG2QYOk

That's a compilation of his various arrow'd in eye scenes. Never eats it. I guess Omega Force views it more icky than badass? With camera cuts it wouldn't be that hard to animate.

IIRC, in 7 and 8, when you play him immediately after he's still the two-eyed version and doesn't get the patch til next battle. Shouldn't have been much effort to, I dunno, have him pull off some cloth, show him off screen bandaging himself, then running off into battle like a lunatic?

DW1 though, he does eat it. And it comes with PS1 era blood.

I think he does eat it in DW4.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Right, the old RTK and Nobunaga's ambition games being on steam without english release despite having english versions on other platforms irks me so much.

I just want to play ROTK VIII and X with the PUK... :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Azran posted:

and motherfucking YASUKE

This owns.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Tae posted:

Arslan Warriors was a really budget game based on some anime designed by the Fullmetal alchemist person. The only gimmick besides being a super generic musou was a cards system.

Also did none of you remember the last gundam musou

The Arslan novels are written by the same guy who wrote Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also I've had thoughts about them making an American themed Musou game set in the Revolutionary War or something, containing historic figures like Ben Franklin wielding a kite charged with electricity, but also folk heroes like John Henry and Paul Bunyan.

Koei had a strategy game based on Irish mythology that I'd love to see a Warriors spin-off of.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Kin posted:

Yeah, it gets kinda frustrating after a while. The whole army and swaying the tide of battle mechanic is such a big draw to these games.

Might be rose-tinted glasses but I remember this being a huge deal in the old Warriors games.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

Like Nagashino for example; I feel like typically when they do this battle in these games, they make it a point to stress how much of a turning point the battle is, or how fearsome the takeda cavalry is supposed to be and how interesting it is that Nobunaga found an unexpected way to counter them; but in this game it's just "kill 5 cavalry officers" and then you move on.

Honestly the main Warriors games have had this problem for ages and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

kdrudy posted:

I got them through :filez: so you could look in the usual spots.

I did so a couple of months ago as well, though admittedly it took a bit of searching.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Morter posted:

Nothing felt like more of an adventure to me than being a teen playing Nanban Campaign in DW3 as Pang Tong on the xbox.

I played the DW3 demo where you get to play the Nanman campaign as Huang Gai, Zhao Yun or Sun Shanxiang for about 10 minutes dozens of times, what a blast.

I couldn't find the game in stores anywhere so I had to settle for 2.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

I was in high school during the ps2 launch and my family managed to find one for Christmas. I spent the majority of my winter break playing DW2 front and back, to this day I can still hear the lovely delivery of "the great gan Ning will FIGHT you!" in my head.

I got my rear end handed to me at Changban time and time again to the point where the entire map was red while I desperately tried to keep Liu Bei alive.

Learning how to actually win a battle was an amazing moment.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Don't sleep on Exotic traitors. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

That's extremely cool, 8 is my favorite! Especially the soundtrack and the theatrical historical events.