Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

McCoy Pauley posted:

I just finished Bloodlines this morning, and really enjoyed it -- particularly for how it was focused on something so different from what I've previously read about in 40K books -- but I must have totally missed what's being discussed here. What was going on in the book about a cult and an infection?

The main character goes to a couple meetings of a secretive group which has some weird serpent symbology associated with it. I read Bloodlines a bit back but I think he also agonizes about whether to loop his daughter into it. It's basically an aside in the book so you may have read and just plumb forgotten about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

He also goes on about how much he wants to stop going but he can only stay away for so long before he finds himself back. It also turns out, after agonizing about bringing his daughter into it, she is already into it and much more fanatic than him. Her intense desire to join the guard and leave the planet also points to the genestealer theory. I think it might end up being a chaos cult that got co-opted by the genestealers. That's known to happen in the lore.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Any books about space marines on feudal worlds that aren't lovely Dark Angels novels? I'd love to read a story abiut a giant knight who falls from the sky and sets to claiming a world for the Emprah

There's a GoT crossover fanfic, which I think I first saw in this thread maybe, about the Essos/Westeros planet getting brought into compliance. I never finished reading it so I don't know if marines showed up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Guyver posted:

There's a GoT crossover fanfic, which I think I first saw in this thread maybe, about the Essos/Westeros planet getting brought into compliance. I never finished reading it so I don't know if marines showed up.

I'm in it:frogc00l:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Guyver posted:

No spacemarines. But had better writing and ended WAY better than the last few seasons of GoT.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Got a link to that fanfiction? Google-fu isn't helping me much.

(I did find a set of fanfics where primarchs land in Westeros, and Fulgrim getting adopted by Targs sounds extremely fitting. No idea if they're any good yet.)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

He also goes on about how much he wants to stop going but he can only stay away for so long before he finds himself back. It also turns out, after agonizing about bringing his daughter into it, she is already into it and much more fanatic than him. Her intense desire to join the guard and leave the planet also points to the genestealer theory. I think it might end up being a chaos cult that got co-opted by the genestealers. That's known to happen in the lore.

She didn't join the cult. She got co-opted into an Inquisitorial investigation into the cult.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Z the IVth posted:

She didn't join the cult. She got co-opted into an Inquisitorial investigation into the cult.

A lot of the "little" things they set up in Bloodlines are so loving cool and I have faith they'll pay off.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Got a link to that fanfiction? Google-fu isn't helping me much.

(I did find a set of fanfics where primarchs land in Westeros, and Fulgrim getting adopted by Targs sounds extremely fitting. No idea if they're any good yet.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5spfpl2wjddnxz/Grim%20Darkness%20of%20Far%20Future%20-%20ASOIAF-40K%20crossover.doc?dl=0

Found it. I didn't have it downloaded still but I remembered the There Are Only Lemon Cakes part of the title which helped.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Guyver posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5spfpl2wjddnxz/Grim%20Darkness%20of%20Far%20Future%20-%20ASOIAF-40K%20crossover.doc?dl=0

Found it. I didn't have it downloaded still but I remembered the There Are Only Lemon Cakes part of the title which helped.

:f5h::stare::coffee:

E: I read by pressing the F5 buttan, ok? :mad:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

PSA that Peter Fehevari's new horror novel drops on Saturday and the digital short this week is also by him. Unsure if it is related to his new novel because the BL site seems to be down at the moment, but I assume it is. The cover of the new novel is freakin' rad too.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

There's mention throughout the series about snake emblems as the planetary insignia so being an old Chaos snake cult (a la Molech) would be quite reasonable. It doesn't really read as genestealers to me since they sound like a cult that recruits members rather than the weird extended families genestealer cults are.

Serpentine imagery is very common for Chaos. Off the top of my head there's Molech, the Davinites (Serpent Lodge :argh:), the Nurthene (though probably more crocodile than snake), the cult in Rites of Passage, the Laer, and Fulgrim's whole deal. There's a big engraving of the Emperor spearing a snake on the Eternity Gate that is clearly an allegory for him defeating Chaos / killing Horus.

Genestealers never occured to me but what people have posted makes sense as an interpretation. One big point against it though is that the cult is presented as a survival of Alecto's pre-Imperial (pre-Crusade?) indigenous religion, and genestealer cults don't show up until late M41.

Fallen Hamprince fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 28, 2020

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Serpentine imagery is very common for Chaos. Off the top of my head there's Molech, the Davinites (Serpent Lodge :argh:), the Nurthene (though probably more crocodile than snake), the cult in Rites of Passage, the Laer, and Fulgrim's whole deal. There's a big engraving of the Emperor spearing a snake on the Eternity Gate that is clearly an allegory for him defeating Chaos / killing Horus.

Genestealers never occured to me but what people have posted makes sense as an interpretation. One big point against it though is that the cult is presented as a survival of Alecto's pre-Imperial (pre-Crusade?) indigenous religion, and genestealer cults don't show up until late M41.

Genestealer cults infiltrate existing organisations. Trade unions, other cults or religious sects etc

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah Genestealers literally just show up and infect people with a parasite that takes over their brains and changes their body chemistry, existing organisations that meet in official (or unofficial) ways is a good way to sneak another parasite into the group. They then breed off of each and the offspring tend to have more overt Tyranid features and act as bruisers and guardians in whatever hovels or sewers they live in. Once a gene stealer cult has spread far enough on a planet they emit a psychic signal that attracts a swarm tendril for an easy meal.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How Genestealer breeding works is always kind of fuzzy. The first generation is the most like a Genstealer, until the fifth, at which point purestrains start popping out again. Because :shrug:

There's old fluff about Genestealers being known for a long time before the rest of the Tyranids showed up too, with a callout being made for the connection not being known for a long time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

How Genestealer breeding works is always kind of fuzzy. The first generation is the most like a Genstealer, until the fifth, at which point purestrains start popping out again. Because :shrug:

There's old fluff about Genestealers being known for a long time before the rest of the Tyranids showed up too, with a callout being made for the connection not being known for a long time.

Exactly. If our hero was a genestealer infectee then his daughter 100% would not have passed muster since she would have like an extra arm, no hair, claws and interesting brow ridges.

There's a reason the cults stay hidden until gen4 or so when the offspring appear nearly baseline human. Gen2-4 also reproduce by breeding with each other so he can't be a gen3 with an implantation scar.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's one of the problems of GW aiming at kids in the 90's. How exactly does implantation occur? Do the hybrids implant or get knocked up the traditional way for the host species? There are all kinds of questions raised that we were just not meant to think about.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

That's one of the problems of GW aiming at kids in the 90's. How exactly does implantation occur? Do the hybrids implant or get knocked up the traditional way for the host species? There are all kinds of questions raised that we were just not meant to think about.

Maybe not your small weak brain, but I was born for speculating wildly about genestealer sex.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arquinsiel posted:

They literally answered all of this in the early 90s. Purestrain genestealers (and some of the initial hybrids) have ovipositors on their tongues , which doesn't implant a chestburster so much as infect the host and modify their DNA so that their kids are hybrids and they fall under the psychic sway of the cult, which does things like make them want to start a family, make the parents ignore the fact their children are monsters, want to protect the rest of the cult etc etc.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 28, 2020

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Genestealers gently caress. A lot

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They literally answered all of this in the early 90s. Purestrain genestealers (and some of the initial hybrids) have ovipositors on their tongues , which doesn't implant a chestburster so much as infect the host and modify their DNA so that their kids are hybrids and they fall under the psychic sway of the cult, which does things like make them want to start a family, make the parents ignore the fact their children are monsters, want to protect the rest of the cult etc etc.
The story in which that was "answered" has them infecting a Space Marine captain and literally describes the hybrid growing inside him. So...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

The story in which that was "answered" has them infecting a Space Marine captain and literally describes the hybrid growing inside him. So...

GW change poo poo all the time so idk. It's been how I described it for more than a decade tho.

EDIT: Checking Lexicanum, since a series of White Dwarf articles in 1989

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Biplane posted:

Maybe not your small weak brain, but I was born for speculating wildly about genestealer sex.

PM me your fanfic

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

GW change poo poo all the time so idk. It's been how I described it for more than a decade tho.

EDIT: Checking Lexicanum, since a series of White Dwarf articles in 1989
Those citations don't actually link to the text, because Lexicanum is lolbad. IIRC the story with the Blood Angel Captain is from about that era, and reprinted with a bunch of extra missions in White Dwarf for the 1996 re-release of Space Hulk.

ETA: White Dwarf 203, judging by the cover art.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Those citations don't actually link to the text, because Lexicanum is lolbad. IIRC the story with the Blood Angel Captain is from about that era, and reprinted with a bunch of extra missions in White Dwarf for the 1996 re-release of Space Hulk.

ETA: White Dwarf 203, judging by the cover art.

Feel like someone in this thread should have those issues, I've read them but they were before my time.

EDIT: the original fluff is from issues 114-116

EDIT 2: here we go, from 114:

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 28, 2020

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

D-Pad posted:

PSA that Peter Fehevari's new horror novel drops on Saturday and the digital short this week is also by him. Unsure if it is related to his new novel because the BL site seems to be down at the moment, but I assume it is. The cover of the new novel is freakin' rad too.

gently caress yeah :spooky:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking of Warhammer horror, they just announced another novel and an anthology: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/28/warhammer-horror-in-2021/

For some reason David Annandale's first(ish?) novel Death of Antagonis really grated to read, but I liked his first Warhammer Horror novel House of Night and Chain and I'm looking forward to what sounds like a horror novel full of Nurgley goodness.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Genestealers gently caress. A lot

I wonder if the original inspiration was a parody of the various US Christian cults.

gently caress a lot. Have a lot of children who are monsters. Attempt to destroy the world.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if the original inspiration was a parody of the various US Christian cults.

gently caress a lot. Have a lot of children who are monsters. Attempt to destroy the world.

It's 1:1 although they had to tune down the ugliness for the genestealers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pyrolocutus posted:

:siren:Speaking of Warhammer horror,:siren:
Get your submissions in by Saturday!

Z the IVth posted:

General nerd wisdom was always that they were lifted from Alien, with the other Tyranids being the bugs from Starship Troopers as per the novels. I vaguely remember rumours of "they gots sued by Giger" but zero proof of that.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

There's a reason the cults stay hidden until gen4 or so when the offspring appear nearly baseline human. Gen2-4 also reproduce by breeding with each other so he can't be a gen3 with an implantation scar.

He could’ve a Gen-3 if the scar is a ritual imitation of an implantation scar rather than the real deal. The real reason he can’t be a Gen-3 is that third gen hybrids are too hosed up to easily pass for human; they’re perpetually crouched, purple-skinned, and some have three arms.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

General nerd wisdom was always that they were lifted from Alien, with the other Tyranids being the bugs from Starship Troopers as per the novels. I vaguely remember rumours of "they gots sued by Giger" but zero proof of that.

The genestealers themselves are definitely from Alien but I always felt the cult bits had a different origin.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Z the IVth posted:

The genestealers themselves are definitely from Alien but I always felt the cult bits had a different origin.

It's a pretty clear Shadows over Innsmouth inspiration. Cult of blood-related weirdos who look almost but not quite human and eventually rejoin the terrible otherworldly entities which created them and whom they long for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NihilCredo posted:

It's a pretty clear Shadows over Innsmouth inspiration. Cult of blood-related weirdos who look almost but not quite human and eventually rejoin the terrible otherworldly entities which created them and whom they long for.
That kind of circles back to US Christian cults anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NihilCredo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_1k-lOto8

The Shadow over Immateriums

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

Get your submissions in by Saturday!
Quoting myself: submit here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr1Ip9aaHIA

Accurate

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A Shadow in The Warp, if you will.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Doh. Forgot about that one.

Arquinsiel posted:

That kind of circles back to US Christian cults anyway.

Did Lovecraft derive the Innsmothers from Christian cults? I thought he was more racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Z the IVth posted:

Did Lovecraft derive the Innsmothers from Christian cults? I thought he was more racist?

Pretty sure Innsmouth was about the horrors of the white race breeding with the swarthier peoples of the world and the resulting "mixed blood" children.