Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Xenomrph posted:

Refresh my memory, how do Tyranids achieve FTL travel?

From the Lexicanum article on the Narvhal

quote:

A Narvhal is a Tyranid Bio-ship that fulfills the essential role of allowing all the vessels of a Tyranid Hive Fleet to travel faster than light. This ability makes up for a Narvhal ship being small, innocuous, and having almost no weaponry or armour.

Tyranids do not travel via Warp jumps, such as the Imperium does, and so instead rely on their Narvhal ships. Through the use of monofilament spines clustered along a Narvhal's bow which can interpret a wide range of sensory input and even a broad spectrum of gravimetric signals, a Narvhal can detect the presence of a planetary system at an incredible distance away. It can then somehow harness the system's gravity to create a corridor of compressed-space through which Tyranid vessels can travel towards the system at a swift rate. Whilst slower than proper warp travel, this method is infinitely more reliable.

However, strong gravitational forces cause interference with a Narvhal's delicate senses. And so on final approach to a system, a Tyranid fleet can no longer use a Narvhal's ability but must resort to slower conventional propulsion. This will often slow their arrival by years or even decades. While within system borders, they must resort to conventional propulsion methods.

Disastrous side effects are caused by this method of manipulating a system's gravity. The ensnared planets will often experience earthquakes, solar flares, tidal waves or other natural disasters in the period between a Narvhal harnessing the system's gravity and the Tyranid fleet actually arriving. For the Tyranids this is of course another weapon as the defenders will be busy and disorganised dealing with their own planet turning against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of nids.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/06/04/sunday-preview-leviathan-approaches

You want some books? Of course ya do!

To commemorate the launch of the new edition, there is of course a Black Library book.

Leviathan by Darius hinks will come out in both a blinged up Special Edition (2,000 copies) and a regular Hardback, Audiobook and Ebook version.

quote:

The people of the fortress world Regium are plagued by nightmares of ravenous creatures that Lieutenant Castamon of the Ultramarines 1st Company recognises as the signs of an impending Tyranid invasion, though even he has no idea of the scale of the oncoming catastrophe.

quote:

Also included is an introduction by the author and an additional short story, A Vigil for the Prince. This novel will also be available alongside the Special Edition in a regular hardback version and in eBook and audiobook formats.

Echoes of Eternity by Aaron Dembski-Bowden will also be available to pre-order in paperback format.

One heads up though if you looking to pre-order any of these, because of the Leviathan box going up for pre-order there's going to be a queuing system on the store.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Yet another book that makes it pointless to care about the dawn of fire series

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol. Even by 40k standards that explanation of how the Tyranids travel between stars is real handwavy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

Lol. Even by 40k standards that explanation of how the Tyranids travel between stars is real handwavy.

very carefully

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

How do they do it? Oh, you know, like bugs. Like big space bugs.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Darius Hinks you say

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Promo books for specific product release events don't exactly inspire confidence.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Deptfordx posted:

"Somehow". It's very clearly explained!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Angry Lobster posted:

Promo books for specific product release events don't exactly inspire confidence.

They're usually forgettable at best

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It'd be cooler if they could enter the warp but protected by the Shadow

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
For some reason I thought that tyranids didn't travel faster than light, it took them forever to get somewhere but also hive fleets were so massive that they just couldn't be stopped.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

For some reason I thought that tyranids didn't travel faster than light, it took them forever to get somewhere but also hive fleets were so massive that they just couldn't be stopped.

So massive that the galaxy is being assaulted by the cannibal remnants of what made it across the galactic gulf. That'd be something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MariusLecter posted:

So massive that the galaxy is being assaulted by the cannibal remnants of what made it across the galactic gulf. That'd be something.

I think it's way cooler than the specialized bioship thing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yeah thats what I always thought, they're real slow but theres so many of them, and what we're seeing is the tail end of their 96 million year journey from Andromeda or wherever

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deptfordx posted:

what are you talking about? artificial singularities folding space (or more like scrunching up space) is 10000% more grounded than than the Imperium's method of "literal magic"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I'm finally reading The Magos after rereading Eisenhorn and Ravenor's omnibuses. I found this exchange funny

quote:

‘Off you go,’ said Cherubael. He gave a little wave. ‘Good luck and all that. That is what friends say, isn’t it?’
‘Why…’ said Eisenhorn. ‘Why are you being so nice to me?’
‘Well, because, quite frankly,’ said Cherubael, ‘and please don’t tell anyone, but right now you scare the absolute poo poo out of me.’
Eisenhorn smiled.
‘Hang on,’ said Cherubael. ‘I didn’t think you could do that any more.’
‘Neither did I,’ said Eisenhorn.

Excited to get to Pariah and Penitent. I've had Pariah sitting on my shelf since it came out lol. It's going to be interesting to see how it ties to the HH and SoT.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
People do recommend reading Pariah before The Magos.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Too late now but I'm sure it won't bug me

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I read Magos before Pariah and it was fine, honestly it seemed to fit there more naturally anyway

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Biplane posted:

Yeah thats what I always thought, they're real slow but theres so many of them, and what we're seeing is the tail end of their 96 million year journey from Andromeda or wherever

The thing is that space is Real Big, if they’re traveling sub-light between star systems then humanity has like millennia of advance warning of where they’re going and what planets they’re going to try and eat. They need some kind of FTL for them to be any kind of real threat.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Yes, but also no.

The fact that they were floating between stars would mean it'd be very hard to pick them up until they actually hit the manderville point of each new system. Assuming they're moving close to luminal velocity, they could basically scream in system faster than most could react. After they ate a system, you could make an educated guess what direction that they were going to go, but you wouldn't know for sure because they'd kill any thing trying to watch them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Calax posted:

Yes, but also no.

The fact that they were floating between stars would mean it'd be very hard to pick them up until they actually hit the manderville point of each new system. Assuming they're moving close to luminal velocity, they could basically scream in system faster than most could react. After they ate a system, you could make an educated guess what direction that they were going to go, but you wouldn't know for sure because they'd kill any thing trying to watch them.

Sure, but if they’re going less than FTL, after the first attack you wouldn’t see another attack for decades to centuries, if not longer. That makes for a somewhat less impactful existential threat.

In other news I had some Amazon digital credit to burn so I bought Pariah and Penitent for my kindle, but I’m thinking I’m going to re-read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies first since it’s been an extremely long time since I read them.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

In other news I had some Amazon digital credit to burn so I bought Pariah and Penitent for my kindle, but I’m thinking I’m going to re-read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies first since it’s been an extremely long time since I read them.
I'd recommend that. I enjoyed my second read-through of Pariah much more than my first because I'd just reread the prior trilogies before the second go and picked up a lot of interconnected things I'd missed the first time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Seeing Eisenhorn smile is the moment when we know he's finally gone completely bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there a suggested reading order among the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin books for when I should read Magos?

Unrelated but one thing I liked in the 8th edition codexes is that they all had essentially the same galactic map but with faction-specific details picked out. I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity that the official Warhammer Community didn’t digitize all of those maps into an interactive website where you could click on filters to see how different factions line up or overlap, etc.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenomrph posted:

Is there a suggested reading order among the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin books for when I should read Magos?

Magos has the official reading order for short stories and novels. Get Magos, page in as far as the reading order, read what it says, when it says.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Xenomrph posted:

Unrelated but one thing I liked in the 8th edition codexes is that they all had essentially the same galactic map but with faction-specific details picked out. I always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity that the official Warhammer Community didn’t digitize all of those maps into an interactive website where you could click on filters to see how different factions line up or overlap, etc.

I thought they literally did that recently

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I read the series Eisenhorn trilogy, Ravenor trilogy, Magos, Bequin and it seemed to come together fine for me, didn't realise that was wrong

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DaysBefore posted:

I read the series Eisenhorn trilogy, Ravenor trilogy, Magos, Bequin and it seemed to come together fine for me, didn't realise that was wrong

It's not that big a deal, but if you read Magos before pariah you'll know going in that Eisenhorn is a full on sorcerer now.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

wiegieman posted:

It's not that big a deal, but if you read Magos before pariah you'll know going in that Eisenhorn is a full on sorcerer now.

I think he crossed that boundary long before that.

If not when he made his first Daemonhost, then it was at the latest when he remotely puppeteered a corpse and made it focal point of a localized warp rift to take out Pontius Glaw's daughter.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Bee posted:

I thought they literally did that recently

Oh poo poo, can you link it?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo, can you link it?

Yeah, I've seen the different versions and they're very neat, but I haven't seen one where you can toggle between the overlays.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

so Dantioch and Polux definitely explored each other's bodies yeah

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Eisenhorn did nothing wrong

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

sharknado slashfic posted:

Eisenhorn did nothing wrong

Cherubael on the other hand...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Black Griffon posted:

so Dantioch and Polux definitely explored each other's bodies yeah

The real question is which of the primarchs are cut and which are uncut

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The real question is which of the primarchs are cut and which are uncut

Russ' foreskin was eaten by wolves

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Honestly tho I always just figured they'd have a cloaca because big E would see that as the most efficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The primarchs are half incels because they are too self aware of themselves as mythical figures to ever get groovy and the other half are red pilled volcels imo.