Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

Wait a minute..... Wouldnt that mean that Warhammer Fantasy and 40k exist in the same universe? :psyduck:

Yeah, they used to. That was a long time ago though and they've gone to an effort to make sure they don't really crossover anymore.

I think the Warhammer world was just thought of some rear end-backwards planet lost somewhere in space. You used to have guys with the occasional bolt pistol or even a powerfist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:wtc:
This happened in a 40k book?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nephilm posted:

Spoilers for a terrible thing: Lucius becomes convinced that Fulgrim has been possessed by a daemon so along with Fabius and others capture him and plan to torture the daemon out of him, including using such colorful methods like pear of anguish on his anus while the presumably slaaneshi daemon is having the time of its life.

Oh, and after the reveal that he's DUNDUNDUN really Fulgrim all along he breaks free off his bonds by himself and admits he was playing along for shits and giggles.

Well, that's definitely a thing. Why would anyone think that's a good idea to write about? And it's even paired with a bad plot twist.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

Roboute coming back to fight the Tyranids would be really cool. And it could kickstart the storyline of the Emperors ascent or death. Roboute coming back would just be the sign of things going for a massive change, while still keeping him out of the way story wise, busy fighting off the Tyranids.
I'd like to see a primarch come back because it could be some sort of weird time-travel comedy. They haven't been around for thousands of years and everything's gone to poo poo.

But it would probably be written horribly and everything would be good again because this one dude showed up and told everyone how to do things.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Let's be real though, Abnett's secret project will be about Cypher reaching Terra and suicide bombing the Emperor.
I'd read it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just started Battle for the Fang and goddamn these names are awful.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Picked up Pariah the other night. When I heard that the third trilogy was going to be Gregor VS Gideon, and would be told from the POV of Alizabeth, I was stoked. Love all of Abnett's Inquisition characters, so this book was going to be a real treat.

I'm on page 64. Does it... does it get better? Bequin shouldn't be this boring why the hell is she so boring why does she already know she's a blank why is Dan retconning the first trilogy argh!!!

I want to push through it but I'm going to be really disappointed if it doesn't get better soon.

Keep going. And in regards to your spoiler... that's not what's going on. Pariah is really good, but starts off a little slow.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's only 3 or 4 illustrations that serve no purpose and don't really show any important scenes. I'm trying to remember what they were, but I can't. I read these books on my kindle, so illustrations aren't really a selling point. Betrayer was pretty good though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Abnett definitely has issues with endings, but I thought Pariah's worked perfectly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ravenwing is actually a decent book even if some things don't really make a whole lot of sense.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Impaired Casing posted:

I finished the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Well, I still have the Sabbat anthology, and the first two books, but I am caught up in regards to the story line. I loved almost everything about the series. I really liked, in an ironic way, when one of the main characters died. Yeah, it sucked if it was one of your favorites, but drat if it did not keep you on your toes while reading the series. I was always up in the air over who was my favorite author, the tie being between ADB and Abnett, but I am certainly leaning towards Abnett now. Also, I believe the next Horus Heresy book is written by him, so good news there.

I started the first Grey Knights book. Half way done. It's alright, but a different gear entirely after having read Gaunt. There is a lack of characterization, which I find disconcerting because, one, I just read a series all about characters, and two, I read a short story from some anthology by Counter that had the Grey Knights, and it was more entertaining that this. But, like I said, I'm only half way done, so maybe it'll get better.

Don't bother with the Counter books, just read The Emperor's Gift by ADB. It's really good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

Blanche's work has some nice ideas, but their extremely loose, messy style makes them feel like nothing more than that, where other artists have taken those concepts a lot further, with considerably better results.

Blanche's artwork is awesome. :colbert: He's pretty much defined the look and feel of 40k for me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

John Blanche does have some issues drawing people. But, look at this goddamn spaceship.

This is one of my favorite 40k images and I'd probably want to hang it up if I didn't know it would be social poison.

Oh well. :allears:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Finished Path of the Incubus. Worse than its predecessor. I don't recommend the Dark Eldar series, it has some good ideas (showing how the fractured Eldar race needs each other regardless of whether they're Commorite, Craftworld, or Exodite), but the prose is mediocre.

That, and I had no characters to really root for.

I think I have to agree with your general sentiment. I wanted to like Path of the Renegade, but could never really get into it. I was excited to read it when I saw it was written by Andy Chambers but it just wasn't that great. Dark Eldar weren't as interesting as I thought they'd be. I can kind of see what the author was trying to accomplish; it just didn't come across as well as it should have.

I just finished Ahriman: Exile and it was pretty good. :smugwizard: I really liked it overall, but I feel the resolution was a bit too quick. Though that's a common problem in 40k books. And (dumb spoiler) The reveal at the end with Maroth and the chained demon wasn't really needed.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Nah, the coolest Dreadnaught moment was in 'Know No Fear' when that one Dread does an atmospheric re-entry and then gets up fighting.
I love the idea of grumpy Dreadnaughts for some reason.

Basically pick any book where Bjorn shows up. He's basically the grumpiest dreadnought of them all. He doesn't even have to do anything but grump and it works. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

Is it a safe assumption that the birth of Slaanesh caused the warp storms that wrecked the first human galactic civilization ?

Nah, it created the Eye of Terror and actually blew away a lot of the warp storms that were blocking human expansion.

Edit: I'm not really sure what caused those warp storms to begin with.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Anyway, I'm almost done with Architect of Fate and it's pretty boring mediocre. Kind of wish I bought The Death of Antagonis or Legion of the Damned instead.

Don't buy Death of Antagonis. It's just so loving clumsily written and I'm not sure the author really understood what space marines are. There's some cool ideas in it, but they're rare. It's easy to see what the author was trying to do with the book, but, again, it's just so clumsy. The Black Dragons could have been interesting, but one of the main characters is like 10 feet tall with retractable arm-blades and custom armor while another is completely normal. Guess which one is actually corrupt and bad? It's all dumb. Though I'll admit the crazy planet-grinder controlled by a demonic bone organ (the instrument) was kind of cool.

Legion of the Damned on the other hand loving rules. It's :black101: as all hell. It keeps them as a mystery though and focuses on a different chapter entirely.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

He said that his Black Legion series will be his "Gaunt's Ghosts" and his initial planning was 15 books. Obviously, sales figures, and the tendency for "the tale grew in the telling" could shift that either way.

But still, as an opening estimate, 15 books, spread across 10,000 years, filling in back story and explaining how the Traitor Legions in general and Black Legion in particular became the groups they are in 40k.

He has said he is modeling it after greek epics and arthurian legends in structure. So yeah. Gonna own.

Oh hell yes. His Night Lords series is one of my favorite Black Library things. If he can pull of anything like that I'll be all over this series.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shroud posted:

According to RPS,

- Bugged missions (you fail even if you win)
- Slow, unskippable, repeated animations
- Hotseat multiplayer shows your opponent how many genestealers are under each blip
- Graphics can make doors hard to spot
- Crappy translation from boardgame to PC
- Others

For what it's worth, I really enjoy the game. I think it did as good a job of porting the board game as can be expected; it is almost a straight copy. The RPS review/opinion-piece/whatever is what it is and I don't entirely agree with it though it has some good points.

- They fixed the bugged missions within a day or two (the article was written beforehand). I had the same problem. It shouldn't have shipped like that, but it happened.
- Yeah, terminators are slow as hell when they move. That's just what they are. You can order multiple guys around at once, but you have to wait if any of their actions involve shooting.
- Hotseat multiplayer shows your opponent the genestealer numbers if they're looking at the screen during your turn. I'm honestly not sure what anyone expected there.

It's not without its issues, but it's worth checking out if you like the board game. If you're indecisive, just wait for a sale. v:shobon:v

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

My own perspective on the Old Ones is that the Eldar were set up to fail; a physically perfect race blessed with immense psyker abilities were given the keys to the webway and tier 4 level technology to fight the Necrons, then the Old Ones left and the Eldar spent the next 60 million years in a post scarcity society slowly descending into complete and utter depravity eventually creating an evil god from the sheer excess of their decadence. I don't think the Eldar can make new Webway Gates, or even fix it. Once things started to fail all they could do was cross off the gate on their maps.

I'd love for some Eldar novels from someone besides C.S Goto because there are so many problems with the Eldar lore. I've read that no Eldar children have been born since the Fall, but that must be impossible and the fluff makes such a massive deal over some Eldar characters being 10,000+ years old. That, and Exodites are almost never mentioned, each Craftworld is supposed to be a wholly unique culture, and the Black Library/Harlequins offer immense potential in the hands of a talented author. Ian Watson's Inquistion War creates the most visual, descriptive, and confusing perspective, but expands on nothing not related to the Inquisition main character.

I know it's not quite what you're asking about, but Andy Chambers has some Dark Eldar books out. I've only read the first one so I can't really recommend the entire series. I found the first book to be oddly bland. It was clear the author was trying to show off how crazy their society is, but it never works quite right for me. Still, the book wasn't bad and may be worth checking out. It even involves a raid on a maiden world and features some Exodite stuff.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 6, 2013

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cream_Filling posted:

Andy Chambers actually wrote a whole series of Eldar books in the past year or so, including craftworld eldar, rangers, and exodites. They were all pretty bland and boring and I wouldn't recommend them. I actually liked GW's previous "no alien viewpoints" policy because the eldar in those books aren't sufficiently alien in viewpoint - they're just really whiny fantasy novel people.

I was all excited when I saw Andy Chambers wrote something because holy poo poo, it's Andy Chambers. But then I read the first book and it was just so bland. :geno: I really have to agree with the "no alien viewpoints" policy. Most of their authors wouldn't be able to pull it off well, especially with Eldar. Still, I'd be kind of interested to see what Chambers could do with a regular Imperial viewpoint.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Orks could work pretty well. I remember when I read some Gav Thorpe Dark Angels battle book (Kallidus?) I actually thought he did a good job with the Ork prologue and epilogue. His marines are really inconsistent though and seem to die like flies.

And it goes without saying that Deff Skwadron is amazing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ElPedro posted:

This is very true. Multiplayer worked great and had a lot of viable classes/builds to chose from.

Did we play the same game? I won't deny that multiplayer was a lot of fun. But that was only when the thing worked. The matchmaking and peer-to-peer set-up made most games a laggy mess. Targets frequently became invincible or teleported around. I know I was shot through plenty of walls when I played. If it had worked properly people would probably still be playing it. The survival mode managed to avoid most of the same issues, but it was limited to 4 players and not 16 like the regular multiplayer. It was less likely to get stuck playing with someone with a bad connection which would manage to slow the game down for everyone.

I enjoyed Space Marine a lot. I just wish the multiplayer had been more stable. :smith:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does this mean Gav Thorpe runs the Dark Angel side of things? :ohdear:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Colonel "Death" Strike is a perfectly fine 40k name. Especially for a Catachan. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
More about the Word Bearers:

It's actually expanded upon a little more in Betrayer. Rather than doing an internal purge like the other legions did, Lorgar loaded up all of his angriest dudes and sent them off to die against the Ultramarines. Many of them never forgave the Ultramarines for destroying Monarchia.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drgnvale posted:

Needing to go to my computer, buy the book, download it and then drag and drop. Yes, this is too much compared to buying a book off amazon with a kindle.

I do this for all of my e-books because it's easier for me to just browse and buy on the Amazon website. I almost never connect my kindle to wifi, but maybe I'm weird.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EyeRChris posted:

I'd also probably put The Black Dragons as a Tier 3. Sure they pretty much sacraficed their humanity and became monsters, but its to protect the people of the Imperium.

This reminds me, no one should read Death of Antagonis. Ever.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pariah's pretty good. The shift in perspective didn't bother me and I liked how Abnett slowly worked in Eisenhorn and Ravenor. The introduction of Eisenhorn is :black101: as all hell in that book too. I'm looking forward to the next one even if it might be a while.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Some people have bad taste in pew-pew spacemans stories. See: People who defend Vulkan Lives!

I know a guy who told me he was having trouble getting through Eisenhorn because of the first person perspective. He really liked the Outcast Dead though. :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

handbanana125 posted:

So, Dan Abnett just linked to a game currently in development based on Eisenhorn- Xenos. No solid details yet, but it's going to be a mobile based 3D action game.

Link:
https://www.pixelherogames.com/xenos-announced

Goddamnit. What is with GW and mobile games? I'd play the poo poo out of a competent Eisenhorn game on the PC. :argh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dog_Meat posted:

I completely, totally, unironically 'get' this.

I remember hearing "The Planets:Mars, the Bringer of War" as a kid and I couldn't help picturing titans and 40k warfare. My parents thought I was an oddly cultured kid, but the reality was I that I was picturing pew pew battles while listening to this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTByW8NElo

If you don't hear this track from 4:30 onward and think "Imperial Titans marching" then you don't deserve to be a 40k fan.

This is all I can think of when it comes to that song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfjj7Y9N27c

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Deff Skwadron rules and everyone should read it.

UberJumper posted:

Oops i thought he was referring to just the HH, however i heard the Hunt for Voldorius was battle of the abyss bad. I kinda wish someone would go a bit more in depth with the Scars.

So i am reading the Vengeful Spirit, and something i am getting more and more curious about is about the terran Dark Angels.

They were the first legion, the emperor says the "You doubted them? The First? Even after all they accomplished in the time before the others took up their swords?", which i don't really get. Since the Lion wasn't there at that point, so i don't understand how that makes the Emperor sure of their loyalty.

The first legion also has weapons that according to Guilliman "they should not have". I am wondering is, was the shadowy nature of the Dark Angels a product of Caliban or was it a product of everything the Dark Angels have had to do?

This post has just made me interested in Vengeful Spirit. I'm a sucker for anything Dark Angels related. :smith:

In response to your spoilers:
The Dark Angels were the first legion, but you're right, they didn't find their primarch until later. They still fought for the Emperor from day one before anyone else joined up. I think that's what that quote is trying to say. They have a bunch of crazy wargear because of their status as the first legion. I'd guess they ended up with a lot of prototypes that were too complicated for mass production.

I don't know why the Emperor would count their loyalty as a given since, if I remember right, Horus was the first primarch found and even he turned.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

I listened to the podcast, there is a bunch of really interesting things in there.

Actual stuff about his projects coming up:

• His next project which he is going to start soon, is called Master of Mankind
  • Master of Mankind is about the War in the webway. Specifically a siege story, from the point of view of the imperial defenders loosing the webway war. According to ADB the book is "last death of the emperors dreams".
  • Cyrene's apparently going to have a huge arc and is going to be a huge important characther, and she is apparently deeply tied into 30k/40k lore (this surprised me)
  • New audio book by ADB coming very soon, involves Sevatar and a Little Girl :pedo:
  • Annieka from Emperors Gift is going to get her own book eventually (apparently it involves warp and how time is really hosed up)
  • Still wants to write about the Dark Angels, however he wants to write about the "Terran" Dark Angels
  • Ahriman Exile and future Talon of Horus books might intertwine.
All of this sounds great. I'd really like to see ADB handle the Dark Angels. They show up in Prince of Crows, but aren't a focus. I'd also read anything about them from Abnett since I liked his take on the Lion in Unremembered Empire. Even if that book was a crazy mess of plotlines.

UberJumper posted:

• Gav Thorpe apparently more or less has control of the Dark Angels for the HH :negative:
  • Wants to make a book about Octavia and Septimus about them trying fit themselves into imperial society, but BL said no.
:negative:

Speaking of Gav Thorpe, does anyone know how Master of Sanctity turned out? It's a sequel to Ravenwing which was alright. It was obvious he was asked to add all of the new units from the codex into the book; they were mentioned in the first few chapters and then promptly forgotten. He also tried way too hard to show that the Ravenwing can work in a bunch of environments. The book featured them riding around inside a space station and later climbing a mountain without their bikes. Dark Angels could result in some really good books instead of sub-par ones, but they need to be handed to someone else.

I don't like Gav Thorpe being the final authority on my favorite space men.
:goonsay:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed Master of Sanctity recently because I'm traveling and was bored. I got to say, I was a little surprised by it. I found Ravenwing to be pretty standard 40k garbage that didn't have much going for it beyond being about Dark Angels. The sequel was a lot better. If any of y'all are interested, you don't need to read Ravenwing to get into it. There's maybe five characters that carried over and they aren't important. The focus is put on Sapphon, the titular head chaplain of the Dark Angels, and a bunch of the other higher-ups. At times it felt like Thorpe was just kind of mashing established characters into the story, but it more-or-less works since most of them are small parts. Things like Azrael's in a couple of scenes because they're on The Rock or Ezekial's hanging out when there's interrogating to do. Asmodai's the big exception there. He's ridiculously one-note and constantly played up as Sapphon's counter-part. Beyond that, there's a pretty sweet Deathwing assault on a demon world in the middle of the book and a bunch of stuff about the Fallen. You know, the usual. The ending was pretty sudden, but that was so it could end on a :pcgaming:cliffhanger:pcgaming:.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

Apparently the next Horus Heresy book after the Damnation of Pythos is going to be another short story collection Legacies of Betrayal.

Apparently it has a 3 short stories, by Gav Thorpe, Chris Wright, and ADB. The Cypher Story is by Gav Thorpe :negative:
That sounds like it'll be a decent book though I'm kind of curious what the other stories will be about. I'm not surprised that Thorpe's writing a Cypher story given what's going on in his 40k series. And if it means anything, Master of Sanctity wasn't bad at all. It thought it was a lot better than Ravenwing so maybe Thorpe is improving. :unsmith:

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* Apparently ADB is also writing a novella about the duel between the Lion and Russ.
Yeessss :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

He does however loving hate psykers (no reason given yet).

I'm pretty sure Mortarion hates psykers due to the former overlords of his home planet. They were all psykers and aliens and did all sorts of horrible poo poo to humans. His origins are expanded on in the first Forge World Horus Heresy book, but that's not really something everyone can just go out and grab.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wax Dynasty posted:

Yarrick book by David Annandale (which isn't quite as good as the Cain series, but it's close.)

Wait, is this actually good? I've only read Death of Antagonis by him and it was hot garbage. Probably the worst 40k book I've read. I haven't bothered checking out anything else.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dog_Meat posted:

I'm waaay behind on the modern fluff, but I seem to recall the original story had something about the video feed cutting out before the moment of the assasin striking meaning there's yet another "this happened OR DID IT?!?!" event with a primarch.

It's expanded on in a few things, especially the Night Lords books by ADB. Curze is straight-up dead.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wax Dynasty posted:

The first two Salamander books are just poorly written generic bolter porn, but the third jumps off the deep end when the main character saves the day by becoming a literal Superman, complete with the ability to fly, and then he gets murdered by a rival Salamander. The end. It makes no goddamn sense, even within the realm of 40k where most anything can be explained away.

:wtc: How is this explained? Does he just get psychic powers out of the blue or some bullshit? I guess this can all be explained by Nick Kyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

David Annendale is turning into a real bright spot in the BL. I thought Overfiend dragged through the first two parts, but it finished strong. The short stories are getting very good. I'm putting him on the "expect a good read" list.

Really? I've only read Death of Antagonis by him and it was awful. Maybe it was just a bad first book. I've been hesitant to read anything else since.