Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

There's no formal rank structure in the inquisition, if you show up and wave the Rosette then you're in charge unless someone shoots you in the face and it manages to kill you.

In Eisenhorn/Ravenor they made it clear there were regional/district inquistors who had authority over everyone else working under them. There's a definite command structure, but not a complex one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Impaired Casing posted:

The best description I heard of Cain was that he was a normal guy living in the 41st millennium. He's only as scared as you or me would be when facing zombie robots or zerg like monsters. Even with regards to the Imperial Guard Cain falters, not once feeling the enthusiasm that they feel when facing the xenos. Cain is just along for the ride, in a way, taking advantage where he can and improvising when he cannot.

My favorite Cain book is the third one, I believe, where it is against the forces of Chaos, and his old rival from the Scholum is there and is just determined, every step of the way, to expose Cain as a coward. Cain isn't vindictive for the most part, even going as far as to put in a good word for the man when Cain ruins that plan. He's a decent guy, no matter how much he downplays it.

That's the best because it has Cain, the guy who has faced down literal demons having to explain the politics of the 4 chaos gods to the military brass for strategic reasons and the other commissar is so shocked and offended he calls Cain a heretic and terminates the communication immediately. Merely mentioning the concept of other gods is enough for that rival commissar to try to arrest Cain for treason.

Basically Cain tells them that the 4 gods, without mentioning names, are pretty hardcore rivals with each other and will ruin plans if it means one of the them gains a major advantage. The point was "If you see demons killing demons hold back and left them sort it out, sweep in and kill any survivors."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

How does the fluff explain why only the Eldar can use the Webway? Are the doors keyed to Eldar genes or something?

I'm pretty sure the Old Ones built it and gave the keys to the Eldar, who turned around and hosed it all up and forgot most of the webway routes. Also, some Chaos Sorcerers and human Inquisitors can traverse the Webway, but it's only ever for trying to find the Black Library.

It's one of those things never properly explained because how can Eldar fleets of ships travel the webway and pop out in the area of the Galaxy they need to be if most of the webway is in disuse?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khizan posted:

They're immune to warp-induced mutation, yes. They're also immune to madness that's directly caused by the warp(e.g. a psyker cannot use their powers to drive them mad, they won't feel psychically induced fear/madness from a demon's presence, etc).

Whether or not they can go 'regular' mad from it, though? Not sure, but I would assume that the answer is "yes". I know there's one part in Eisenhorn where a blank sees a Chaos Marine and pretty much loses her poo poo because being immune to the warp doesn't make you immune to regular old non-psychic pants-making GBS threads terror.

Jurgen has assisted Cain in dealing with many a chaos entity by getting close enough to it so power swords or guns can kill it. I'm pretty sure the first major Chaos demon Cain fights is stomping them until the second Jurgen gets it in range and then it goes down really quickly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The 40k fluff is complete chaos and contradictions and they've dedicated their recent efforts to Horus Heresy books because they can't advance the plot past M99.499 whatever the last year of the 40th millennium is.

I remember my first exposure to 40k being in 2004, where a friend was explain the latest global campaign GW put on during the summer which was the 13th Crusade. Since then has GW done any of those 'worldwide' plot campaigns? It seems like between the 80s to the mid 00s they were doing global campaigns from time to time that advanced the overall fluff timeline but have ground to a standstill and can't go any further because they've hit the same problem the World of Darkness franchise had in 2004 where they built up to an endgame and were forced to relaunch the franchise.

Games Workshop has way more money and fans then WoD ever had, so anything earth-shaking would probably seriously effect their revenue stream. I assume the HH books are decent cash cow but at some point they have to write the Emperor/Horus final fight because that's what most of the fanbase is waiting for.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Nobody's ever really gone into what the rates are, and it's safe to assume that it varies wildly between chapters based on the quality of their gene-seed and the level of knowledge that survives in their apothecarion.

For instance, it's vaguely noted that the Ultramarines have some sort of military school filled with volunteers, genetic screenings, and their selection process is relatively refined. Whereas other chapters basically just set their potential recruits on some sort of death challenge climbing up a mountain or something and whoever survives that they stick some gene-seed in them and see if they die.

One short story I read about a squad of training scout space marines investigating a hulk mentioned how the Scout leader in charge had failed the black carapace part of the implantation process and could be a scout but not a fully fledged SM and was resentful of constantly watching recruits come and go and become SMs.

The Ultramarines in the fluff are pretty much the exception to the rule. The vast majority of non-first founding chapters are barely mentioned and it's unlikely every chapter has a dedicated planetary system they pull recruits from. Plus they are always written as this indestructible pure hearted chapter. If a single chapter of Ultramarines can stand and fight off a hive fleet then why are other chapters constantly getting wiped out by tyranids?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm fairly sure the Space Wolves are still at nearly their former strength, actually. According to Lexicanum they were only split into two following the Heresy: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Wolves

They were also never all that large to begin with, unlike, say, the Ultramarines who were like 50 or 60 thousand I think. The Space Wolves were elite commando unit equivalents rather than giant armies.

According to the numbers given in the HH books so far http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Marine_Legion the smallest legions at the start of the Heresy was the Thousand Sons with 10,000 (legendary for their small legion size compared to the others) and most were closer to 6 digits. I seriously doubt the remaining loyalist legions were depleted to 1/50 their size when the second founding was established. The Ultramarines were topping out at 250k but the popular theory is they absorbed the 2 lost legions at some point.

The Space Wolves are a problem, unless they lost 90-95% of the legion when fighting Magnos then a few thousand Space Marines just up and vanished. I guess when they get to it Russ will take the bulk of the legion to the Eye and the few remainders will make up the new chapter.

The closer they get to the final confrontation between Horus and the Emperor the more gaping inconsistencies they'll be forced to establish some canon for. When they wrote the Codexes GW wasn't big on consistent numbers or details, which worked for the setting. I expect once they run out of HH stuff they'll reveal some epic saga about the 2 missing Primarchs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Wait, i thought humanity was older than the Eldar? It was my impression humanity was the dominant power during the dark age of technology, with the help of the men of iron. Then when humanity fell due to the war between men of iron, the Eldar made their great empire only to fall to slaneesh?

Speaking of the great Eldar empire, how great could it have been when all their worlds were consumed by the Eye of Chaos, a region of space a fraction the size of the Imperium.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

It's been a while since I read that, but cultists don't really have the means or the knowhow to use it, unless they have the Dark Mechanicum on board. The rogue Imperial elements could.

What exactly is an STC? I can never tell if it's just some massive computing machine that fabricates technology or a repository of all of humanity's knowledge from the Dark Age. The fluff always mentions "hard copies" of STC plans so it must have made physical objects in some form or printed out schematics.

One quote that stuck out from the HH books was when they were besieging the Auretians someone mentioned how their STC would allow them to keep making more advanced weapons to counter what the Legions were using.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wiegieman posted:

The Space Wolves are pretty much superheroes though. Only the Salamanders and maybe the Ultramarines are more dependably good guys, because the first founding chapters are still the same defenders of humanity they were during the Crusade (unlike new chapters which are symptomatic of the degradation of the Imperium). The Black Templars have nothing even remotely resembling limits.

It does come up in ADB's stuff that the Inquisition doesn't really like how much the Space Wolves tell them to suck it.

As far as I can tell the Space Wolves are just the major "anti-Ultramarine" chapter with little else going for them other then being allowed to disregard the Codex due to their first founding status. I guess their legion size at the end of the Heresy was 12-13k, because each 'great company' is a chapter by any other name, or Russ took a shitload of Wolves with him when he left. The most recent mention of them in GW world events is committing forces to the 3rd Armageddon War and their whole chapter to the 13th crusade.

There's the Space Wolves novel series from 2 authors I've never heard of, and the W40k cites a couple of short stories and novels, including one by C.S Goto. I keep seeing the Night Lords trilogy brought up as being fantastic, is there anything focusing on the Space Wolves of similar quality? I'm getting bored to death from reading the first few HH books and constantly hearing how rigid and stalwart all the loyalists are.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

A Great Company is like 1,000 marines strong, yeah, which makes it even loving dumber that the Inquistion would give a poo poo about Black Templars who a; basically undertake nothing but penitence crusades and poo poo and b; hate psykers, where Space Wolves are known assholes with a mutated geneseed and are likely only protected due to their status as a First Founding chapter.

The major factor would probably be having the closest thing to a Primarch left in any Space Marine chapter, Bjorn, who's actual presence is enough to shock the Grey Knights/Inquisition into calming the gently caress down.

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder how many Space Marines other than Bjorn remember the Imperial Truth.

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable backlash in the HH novels the Emperor will get from the Primarchs as the Heresy unfolds and they realize the 'Imperial Truth' is bullshit and he didn't tell any of them (except Magnos) that evil warp gods existed and that during the crusade the Legions would face demonic horrors of madness, plague, and deception yet know nothing of them or how to combat them because of reasons.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 11, 2013

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I picked up the Ian Watson Inquisition War omnibus a while back and just starting getting around to it. 2 words.

Holy poo poo.

First off, Watson uses language to express the W40k universe no other writer I've read come close to. In the intro he mentions how when he got the job to write the books other BL authors at the time were cranking out the books like stale genre fiction with no attempt to evoke the unique qualities of the 40k universe or try anything challenging or interesting.

A lot of the adjectives he uses aren't ones commonly used in the modern English language, but from the way he writes and how he describes things you get a pretty good impression of what he means but using pseudo-archaic terms emphasizes the dark, Gothic feel. Plus, he's talented enough to break standard grammar rules to create a sense of someone speaking an alien language and communicating in different terms while writing the dialogue in English.

I've read Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Cain, the Galaxy in Flames short story collection, and the first 3 HH books, and so far Inquisition War absolutely demolishes them in quality and truly evoking the feel of the grim dark future.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Inquisition War teilogy is pretty great, in a bizarre way. It definitely evokes a weird, alien future in a way that no other 40k novel can.

One thing I forget to mention, the Omnibus includes the short stories, the first of which is probably the only example in W40k fiction that actually has conversations between several genestealers and first person descriptions of their lair and how they operate. It's the second half of the story, but it does a great job of establishing how a 1st generation genestealer builds up their power base with pretty great descriptive imagery of the physical differences between genestealer generations, and how the various following generation members will feud with each other for favor from the primary.

The question "Do any books cover the alien races besides Eldar" gets asked every so often in this thread and the story is called "The Alien Beast Within". I don't know where else you could find it other then the onmibus, and I think its out of print. Amazon has it used from $3 (but the next cheapest is $22) and new at $115.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aries posted:

"The Alien Beast Within" is available on the iTunes Store for iBook. Is that the gene stealer story? Sounds fantastic.

Yeah its the same. Be warned though 150 pages in Itunes book terms is 45 pages in regular BL print. $3 is a bit pricey for a 30 minute read, but it's probably the only legal alternative to buying the omnibus.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah in general the Horus Heresy series is really bad at distinguishing 30k from 40k and I preferred it back when it's implied that all the skull stuff grows progressively as human civilization slowly declines.

The first 3 HH books do a poo poo job of doing anything to emphasize the differences in between the 10,000 timespan other then Sinderman going on and on about the Imperial Truth and everyone's bafflement at anything chaos related. Otherwise it's just another 40k bolter piece with different dates used.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The first book of the Inquisition War trilogy, Draco is off to a great start. The squat and the navigator characters act completely unlike the typical dour grim faced side characters in most all W40k fiction except the Cain stories and actually seem to bring a unique attitude towards the Inquisitors interactions with his associates. The squat in particular being from technologically advanced non Mechanicum worlds doesn't bother with any of the runes, catechisms, or rituals to repair or modify stuff, so the rest of the team is amazed that his engineering efforts actually work, but assume eventually the machine spirit will strike him down.

The book also has some minor flashbacks into the Inquistor's childhood and how his perception of the world changed once his psychic talent emerged.

quote:

He would lie abed in the darkened dormitory, sensing a sloshing seas of human and mutant existence surrounding him. In that sea twists and clumps of phosphorescence marked the minds of other psykers. Many displayed the malign green of corruption, the verdigris of spiritual gangrene. Some swelled bloatedly, streaked with red, as power from the deeps infused them. From such, tendrils descended into the abyss.

Indeed, threads dangled down from all life, psychic and non-psychic alike. Filaments linked living beings with the seeds of themselves in the deep down ooze. Up some of these tendrils the substance and energy of the ooze could travel parasitically. This material was hostile to all life yet also greedy for life and jealous of life. This energy was hungry and destructive, bestowing power upon a person but invariably injuring that person by virtue of the power it bestowed.

It's probably got the most elaborate and visceral descriptions of the warp in any 40k novel. Most mentions I've read are just "Warp= bad things that eat souls" or similarly blunt.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are there any good W40k short story collections? I'm seeing tons of things like short stories, novellas and audio dramas that look really interesting that aren't really easy to find by themselves and purchasing the individual stories digitally is a huge rip-off.

Most of the omnibus editions include 2-3 short stories about the subject but other then that there don't seem to be too many collections.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
One of my favorite things about Inquisition War so far is the use of actual Latin for the invocation of the Emperor's protection and to guard against chaos. Having a character struggling with the temptation of a seductive voice in their head finally realizing what it is and shouting Latin invocations they've heard from priests to try and strengthen their will and refuse the corruption emphasizes the dogmatic nature of the Imperium.

I'm surprised Games Workshop never made that a major fluff point. Having Latin as the lingua franca of Inquisitors and empowering the resistance of the faithful really adds a special touch to the dark, theocratic nature of the 40k Imperium. Watson even mentioned he went the distance and included correct Latin in his writings for that extra impact and to emphasize the importance of how belief and litanies of faith have actual power in the W40k universe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Leman Russ can cause psykers pain with some kind of psychic roar.
Sanguinius has a 6th sense type thing.
Corvus shows invisibility powers that are likely a result of psychic manipulation of people's perceptions.
Perturabo can see the Eye of Terror from anywhere in the galaxy.
The Lion somehow killed incorporeal beasts when he was a kid on Caliban.

I have the feeling that all the primarchs are latent psykers due to their shared heiritage, and that under the Emperor's guidance they likely would have grown up actually knowing how to properly use their abilities. Instead though, Lorgar constantly dreams of a voice calling to him, Kruze is driven insane by visions of his own death, etc. etc.

Last I checked they explicit say that Kurze's foresight was not warp related but something else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Isn't Sanguinius supposed to be the most psychically gifted one after Magnus?

Those wings must have been massive unarmored flesh targets that should have gotten torn to shreds the moment he was in a warzone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Magnus took to sorcery but at the very least it was still the purview of the Chaos Gods. His attempts to cure the Thousand Sons geneseed only worked by bargaining with the Chaos gods,Tzeenetch I think, and when he appeared to Horus in the fever dream he had to sacrifice tons of psykers to feed him the power to do it. Whatever Magnus thought he was getting away with it was still a corrupting influence just waiting for him to give up and accept chaos.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Is it just me or after reading both Fallen Angels and the Descent of Angels, or does the Lion seem a lot lesser and barely awe-inspiring compared to the other primarchs?

Even during Fallen Angels, when The Dark Angels fought the Sons of Horus. The sons of horus were completely okay with charging into combat against a loving Primarch. Also i thought the lion was supposed to be the embodiment of the emperors finesses at warmaking, such that he is a brilliant tactican, and amazing fighter. Yet he doesn't understand any of the emotional/social components of fighting a war.

Also another question (i forgot about), but during Descent of Angels why did the Lion bug the White Scars to let them take over compliance of the planet? Zaherial says something about duty, with absolutely no explanation for why they are fighting a war.

Also i would love to see the Black Library pump out some short stories basically about the werid/mysterious/non-sensical worlds/planets the expeditionary forces came across during the great crusade.

I'm pretty sure this is why the Lion is referred to in this thread as an autistic smurf.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EyeRChris posted:

Gulliman is probably rigid adherance to the law. It said that he wrote the codex as a guide not a set path to follow but he didn't exactly teach that to his sons.

Alpharus - Insecurity. Could have fought the Ultramarines from the shadows but decided he had to teach big brother Gulliman he can bang with the best of them. Omegeron was forced to face palm so hard he shattered his helmet as he had to find a way to hide his twin's death.

Angron - Fatalistic acceptance of his death that when his father pulled him from the face of death, he could never forgive him for denying him the death he choose.

Perturbo - Pride because of all the sieges he started just to have his brothers come in and take the glory.

Also Perturabo was much, much smarter then all the other Primarchs, but distant and aloof from them as a result. So when the Heresy started happening he wasn't really close to any of them and especially hated Dorn, who fawned over the Emperor like a sycophant. That and while other Primarchs won relatively short epic battles with heroic victories, Perturabo spent years cracking planets that were essentially glorified strongholds that could've have held off everyone else indefinitely and decimated the attackers, his victories usually being met with "Oh, that's nice. Russ just slayed an Ork Warboss twice his size, but not everyone can be a battlefield hero. You did good champ, now head over there and relieve the Ultramarines so they don't lose too many Marines."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Guilliman's flaw, to me, always reads as 'is quintessentially lawful stupid'. He works FANTASTICALLY well when the situation fits his expectation of situations in general, and when he can find a moment to MAKE it fit, but when it all goes to poo poo, and you have to throw the book out the window and make do, he's screwed.

The whole point is he wrote the Codex Astartes and told all space marines to follow that and only that, deviating from it would be treason and some chapters followed it to their deaths or attack other chapters for not following it closely enough.

Then the Tyranids showed up and wrecked Ultramar until the Ultramarines finally stopped blindly following a 10,000 year book and made use of their resources to best defeat the enemy.

I guess it really all depends on who writes it. We might get a HH series book or another Ultramarines series that continues to show the Codex as the be all end all of war and contains no flaws or oversights in the slightest.

lenoon posted:

I'll happily volunteer and reccommend the Space Marine novel (again by Watson) as it is batshit even beyond the inquisition war stuff. And really gay. In a good way.

I think maybe tying the BL stuff into the best examples of military sci fi is something that's been talking about before in this thread - Forever War/Free, Life during wartime, even use of weapons - would be interesting to compare style rather than quality. How much of even the best 40k fiction is military fiction / sci fi with extra gothicness and how much has its own distinctive voice?

Thinking about Abnett for a minute, I think he's grown the Gaunts Ghosts series from something that was essentially standard military fiction into true 40k fiction. But, as much as I like necropolis and the saint trilogy, I don't think that happens until traitor general (and even, really, His Last Command).

The 30k stuff, while cool, doesn't have a 40k feel (obviously I guess) and, except in rare cases, is pretty standard military sci fi. Even some of the Abnett and ADB falls into that, though they're very very well written. Weirdly, I'd say its probably a reason why Thousand Sons stands up so well for me - it feels appropriate to the universe, mutation, daemons, insanity etc, while prospero burns (a better book by far) isn't quite as.... Insane as 40k fiction feels like it should be.

Does all that make sense? The comparison of Watson's writing and Blanche's art is a good one. There's probably better artists, but none who quite capture the sheer mind destroying insanity of the 40k universe quite so well.

In the Omnibus intro Watson makes a big deal that to get a idea of what to write and how to write it he surrounded himself with all the Warhammer40k fiction and tried to place himself mentally in a broken dystopian future hellscape and write from that perspective. At the time most of the other W40k writers just took typical space sci-fi styles and added the bolters, Eldar, and orks without distinguishing it from all the other dark futuristic settings. Watson decided "Well, maybe if I write this like a crazy person it might mesh better with the intended setting" and his trilogy is most effective work to convey the misery and chaos Games Workshop tries to make W40K into.

The 30k fiction written by the mediocre/poo poo writers is crammed so full of references to the modern 40k setting its extremely off putting. That, and the forced dramatic lines like Horus exclaiming "Let the galaxy burn"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I don't think anything nails the Emperor's terrible decision making like what he did to Angron. Probably any other person, or space marine, or Primarch could have told him pulling Angron out of a last stand with fellow slaves he has fought and bled for would be a terrible idea and Angron would never forgive him for it.

But no, teleports him out and then lets him watch while the rest of the slaves collapse and are massacred. All because "YOU ARE TOO IMPORTANT TO MY GREAT PLAN".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kenlon posted:

Seeing the Wolves as the Emperor's internal enforcers of last resort (it's heavily implied they dealt with at least one of the 'missing' primarchs), goes a long way to explain why they don't get along with the Imperium of M41.

No other chapter except maybe the Ultramarines could get away with engaging in an actual war with the Inquisition and end up dictating terms to them to end the conflict.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EyeRChris posted:

Has there been anyword on when Yarrick will be available in print? I want another Commissar book but seems this hasn't been released yet and Amazon doesn't have a listing.

Also with how much the Inquisition likes to take a dump on certain Marines and Chapters...I'm kinda surprised that The Exorcists and The Black Dragons have not been culled yet. We got a Chapter of guys who invite the warp in and then exorcise it out. Once the door is open there is no going back. And then we have a chapter of wild mutation. A space marine chapter of nothing but Baraka from Mortal Kombat.

The tolerance of the various weird Space Marine chapters and the whole "mind scrub any non Ordos" varies wildly across the fiction.

So, starting the last book of the Inquisition War, it just keeps getting crazier and crazier. A Space Marine who followed the Inquisitor into the webway ends up getting his power armored destroyed, strips down and basically goes "I'M GANGLAND MOTHERFUCKER COME AT ME".

It just keeps getting better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

I think they're aware of things in the warp but they're not aware of what they are. They were probably seen more like native flora or fauna that you could tame or subdue instead of being the primordial forces of the universe. The warp was also calmer so it wasn't as big a threat to psykers.

I'm not sure if they were true AIs but I'm pretty sure they use computers and such. They just stick them onto skulls or other human components to ensure they aren't breaking the no AI rule.

There's some confusion because of the tenuous connection between the Warhammer 40k universe and the Dune universe. In the Dune universe, all AI and most computers were banned, which necessitated the emergence of people called Mentats who had trained themselves to process information much more rapidly then normal people, acting as human computers.

Warhammer 40k almost certainly has actual computers, data servers, digital storage etc. its just the only things that survive thousands of years are physical copies, like STC plans etched into adamantium.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shameless posted:

I've been slowly getting into the 40k and HH novels. I've read Eisenhorn, the HH books up to Legion and just finished off The Emperor's Gift and, despite a couple of dull books in the HH series I've not read anything I could honestly call terrible. Then I started on the Death of Antagonis. Holy poo poo, does this get any better or am I better off saving my sanity and just quitting it now?

It's not like I'm expecting any great literature or anything but simple characterisation and something that vaguely resembles a plot would be nice.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, read the books by Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Dan Abnett. They are the only authors to really take the W40K universe and make it their own.

Personally, I've been reading the Inquisition War trilogy by Ian Watson and it is wholly unique in how it addresses the idea of Chaos, Elder, and the concept of the Webway and other esoteric ideas. The style is extremely unique, and since Watson wrote in the early 90s before most of the fluff was established he had free reign to do whatever he wanted, and it shows.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Cain has one flaw really, and that's incredibly low self-esteem.

Amberley Vail even mentions that he's probably the best swordsman in the entire Segmentum and he isn't really aware of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Thousands Sons is fantastic. McNeill does a great job show how heavily entrenched warpcraft and warp related features like the tutalaries are to the Thousand Sons (and that it seems natural and benign to them) but how completely corrupted they are and don't even know it yet. During their club meetings McNeill makes a point to emphasize that while in a region of limited connection to the Warp they're forced to communicate verbally, rather then psychically like they normally do.

His description of the latent psyker seeing Magnus as some horrifically powerful and undeniably 'wrong' entity constantly shifting forms is really good. You learn pretty early on that all the Thousand Sons consider their Primarch to be essentially a massive warp being just trapped inside a bag of flesh.

For an immortal demi-god trying to raise up humanity but making sure that absolutely no one messes with the warp having a son be 99% warp energy seems like a pretty terrible idea.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Quills posted:

So Unremembered Empire had two new interesting plot threads.
The beacon that Dantioch is operating is on Sotha the future home of Scythes of the Emperor. They're later wiped out by the Tyranids and Sothas destroyed . Are the beacons what's drawing the Tyranids out into the galaxy and why they hit Ultramar so hard?

The anti-chaos Word Bearer certainly sounds like he could be part of the founding of the Grey Knights. Grey armor inscribed with devotions to the Emperor, he still has the old Word Bearer book emblem, devotion to the Emperor as a god.

The fluff on the Tyranids seems to be the most inconsistent, but its usually said that the Tyranids can sense the Astronomican and are all heading towards it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Archonex posted:

The reasons on why this is have changed according to what's canon, but I think the current canon has a precursor race (Which are basically the lizard dudes from FB, only not devolved.) being responsible for pretty much every horrible thing that happens in the setting. They're the ones that made the Eldar, gave humanity psychic vulnerability/abilities, and made the Orks thinking they could use them as a slave warrior race.

The "Hey guys the Warhammer Fantasy is separate from W40k *wink wink" died a while ago and there is no connection anymore.

The Old Ones are responsible for every major Warp related feature of W40k. The fought the Necrons, won and caused them to turn to the C'tan. They built the Webway, they built the Elder and gave them the Webway keys, they made the Orks, and whatever else they built whenever BL needs a seriously ancient warp device for some reason.

They've been expanding on the Necron's influence, making them the ones who built the pylons on Cadia that hold back the Eye of Terror, the Void Dragon influencing the Mechcanicum, etc. Those 2 races are fairly convenient source for explaining anything ancient and unknowable without effecting the current balance of power in W40k.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Archonex posted:

The whole setting inter-connectivity thing doesn't really have much to do with it. A lot of that stuff I mentioned is still being featured in the fluff. Heck, the Enslavers showed up in a book series a year or so ago.

Aside from that, Ciaphas Cain's secondary arc also features what's almost certainly either a C'tan or Old One artifact that makes people psychically active, too. Only since the galaxy's gone to hell since it was made it usually just spits out demons at anything that gets too close to figuring out how it works.

Ravenor also features a proto-demon from when Chaos was first forming. It's basically far less malevolent than modern day demons. It's more like a loaded gun, in fact. A loaded gun that blends humans on command.

The whole "Old Ones tried to save the galaxy, were actually one of the only good races, but were also incredibly stupid about how they went about it." thing is definitely still a core concept in the lore. It's basically an explanation of why the setting is so screwed up. The Imperium isn't just a decaying institution. It's just the latest result of every race being one since poo poo went south a long, long time before humanity came around. The concept of decaying technology and knowledge extends all the way back to when the Old Ones got themselves wiped out.

What's neat about Warhammer is that there's a ridiculous amount of "ancient history" lore that's completely separate from the game. It basically explains why the galaxy is basically hosed forever short of Chaos getting a total win. And even in that case Chaos will basically kill everything, further reducing the capabilities of anything that emerges from the rubble.

My own perspective on the Old Ones is that the Eldar were set up to fail; a physically perfect race blessed with immense psyker abilities were given the keys to the webway and tier 4 level technology to fight the Necrons, then the Old Ones left and the Eldar spent the next 60 million years in a post scarcity society slowly descending into complete and utter depravity eventually creating an evil god from the sheer excess of their decadence. I don't think the Eldar can make new Webway Gates, or even fix it. Once things started to fail all they could do was cross off the gate on their maps.

I'd love for some Eldar novels from someone besides C.S Goto because there are so many problems with the Eldar lore. I've read that no Eldar children have been born since the Fall, but that must be impossible and the fluff makes such a massive deal over some Eldar characters being 10,000+ years old. That, and Exodites are almost never mentioned, each Craftworld is supposed to be a wholly unique culture, and the Black Library/Harlequins offer immense potential in the hands of a talented author. Ian Watson's Inquistion War creates the most visual, descriptive, and confusing perspective, but expands on nothing not related to the Inquisition main character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kurzon posted:

In practice, humanity relies on the Emperor only in his role as a magnificent lighthouse. Otherwise, they've been fending for themselves ever since the end of the Horus Heresy. They certainly aren't being true to his teachings, what with their religious fanaticism and abhorrence of science. What is badly needed is for the Emperor, or at least one of the Primarchs, to return and set the Imperium straight. Reform the Inquisition, disband the Ecclesiarchy, and enlighten the Mechanicum.

Except Humanity clearly had some functioning system going during the Dark Age of Technology that required neither then Emperor nor psykers that was far superior to anything the Emperor could create after the Age of Strife. A huge amount of isolated human civilizations encountered by the Imperium are vastly superior in technology but lose out to sheer quantity or brutality.

The more they explain about the Emperor, the less sense every single thing he did makes, and no matter what Humanity was far better off in the Dark Age then he could ever make them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nephilm posted:

Consider an electronic copy? You really should read Eisenhorn.

The only good books concerned with the Inquisition are the aforementioned, Ravenor series which is a sequel, Pariah which is a sequel to the previous, and... The Emperor's Gift deals heavily with the Inquisition though in the context of its broader intrigues and place in the Imperium rather than as a "warband on the ground" focus. You should read it anyway if you haven't already because it's an awesome book.

There's also the Inquisition War series by Ian Watson, but that's old, written in its own peculiar style, and deals with long-since rendered archaic fluff.

I've been working my way through Inquisition War and I can't recommend it enough for the most unique take on the W40k lore and inquisitors I've ever seen. Watson wrote during a time where there was very little established fluff to follow and just read the Rogue Trader issues and various Codexes and set off in his own direction. His descriptions of the Warp and a planet in the Eye of Terror read like a man who dropped LSD, wrote reams of pages, and once sober read through everything exhaustively and constructed a coherent chapter that sane people could read and glimpse the madness slowly bubbling up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Impaired Casing posted:

I just finished reading The Death of Integrity by Guy Haley, which takes place during M38 where two chapters, the Novamarines and the Blood Drinkers, team up to cleanse a space hulk of Genestealers, but then get a visit from a couple of Magos of the Mechanicum on their own battle ship that has orders from a High Lord of Terra to retrieve STC data from the center of the hulk.

It was fun, mostly bolter porn and Space Marines being Space Marines, but it wasn't boring. The neatest part of it was that near the end, when the reach the center, the STC prize is in the computers of a ship that predates the Imperium, from the height of the Dark Age of Technology. It was pretty cool, I thought, the contrasts of designs, where everything was sleeker, and there was no ornamentation at all, unlike the battle barges and whatnot of the Imperium. What's even neater was that the ship just happens to have a fully functional AI that is the sanest character in the book, despite being called insane by said Space Marines and Magoses. When the Magos in charge attempts to control the ship, the AI kindly responds:

I thought that was awesome.

That makes me really want to read Baneblade.

The whole 'time displacement in the warp' gets brought up periodically in the fluff for humorous reason but a single Dark Age of Technology ship that emerged from the Warp would be horrified and disgusted at humanity but even with their hyper advanced tech still be powerless to do anything. The most positive end result is they flee to some out of the way Imperial world or Exodite world (Dark Age humanity was trading partners with Elder if I recall correctly) and avoid attention.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Dune actually. Butlerian Jihad and all that.

The Orange Catholic Bible to be exact. "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

I worked in a shop selling toy soldiers. If I were to ever (IE: from now until the end of time) create anything that GW felt they could make money off of then they have the power or attourney to sign it over to themselves with no payment neccesary so that they would be the sole owners thereof. This is a standard part of any contract that GW give employees.

Wouldn't stand up in court were they to try it now, but it's in the contract.

Is that supposed to cover if you made some awesome special figurine by hand that they wanted, or if 5 years later you wrote a cowboy romance novel and since you worked for GW at one point they could sue you and take it? Either way it sounds hilariously illegal.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

I know there has been one or two little bumps, but how is the HH series not lining up?

The books aren't written chronologically and several different authors are working it, so there wasn't a coherent timeline for books 1-20 that had every event happening sequentially and each author given an outline of what to cover.

I know they write the multi-book Star Wars stories like that and all the authors have to routinely collaborate and share information so everyone is on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

This is an interpretation I've not seen before. Wait until Abnett writes it before we get a definitive answer, but anything I've read so far puts the Emperor in pure killmode when he teleports over. There were a couple of links to versions of the story, including the first ever published by GW, previously in the thread but the two I have bookmarked are down now.

Every minor fluff mention prior to the HH books had the Emperor battling Horus and losing until Horus casually eviscerated a Custodes, making the Emperor realize Horus was truly lost and unleashed his full psychic might against him, eradicating Horus' soul.

No idea who gets to write the final HH book and that battle. They might not even get to it for another 20+ books.