Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Horace posted:

Oh, I love these. I'd forgotten all about them until a couple of months ago when I found some magazines from the early 00s. Here's an ad picked at random:

These cost £3 each. That's how much you had to pay if you wanted to see Snoopy being ejaculated on every time you looked at your Nokia 3210.

I would scan these, use a bitmap editor and import them using a regular nokia data cable. I remember spending a lot of time getting various programs working and uploading those logos, but in the end, probably changed the logo twice ever.

It's hilarious to even contemplate spending money on 28x32 monochrome BMPs, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

WebDog posted:

Gaming of the future as seen from 1979.

Pretty broad, but generally accurate with the concepts.

Oh. I have that book, and I remember that last panel about "hyper realistic graphics" and whatnot. Playing even non-AAA titles always brings me back to that quote.
The other day, my wife asked me where I took a particular photo - it was a screenshot from The Forest.

Even though that passage reads like a generic adverisement, it's pretty much bang on.

That first panel though, it seems like they drastically underestimated the increase in computing power. "In 10 years, computers will be a hundred times faster". If that books from 1979, by 1989 they were probably tens of thousands of times faster. The rest of the book is pretty good for a kid's introduction to computers as well.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral Damage posted:

People have always and still do underestimate Moore's Law.

Tell me about it. I have some old scraps of paper in my stuff from high school, where a few friends were making up crap about what computers they'll have in what turned out to be circa 2003 or so, roughly. This was in the mid 90's, and it has stuff like "500mhz pentium 7 with 256mb RAM, 5 Gb hard drives (etc)". Maaaaaaaasively underestimated reality.

I am totally scanning and posting these if I come across them in a clean up.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

John Big Booty posted:

A long time. Back when you knew it was time to go to bed when a re-run of M*A*S*H* came on.

Ah, you just caused a flashback of THE TONIGHT SHOOOOOW WITH DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVID LETTTERRR *click*

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

TotalLossBrain posted:

Computer memory old school! Ferrite memory:

A close-up:

Isn't ferrite memory so drat stable, that these might well have the same data stored in them?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

2008-2011 was a really bad period for laptops. Too many were leaning on really awful core 2 duo processors (instead of the superior for the time AMD offering) and the ultra lovely Nvidia 9800M chipset, which was just an awful fit for a laptop. That whole series ran too hot in normal towers, IDK why they thought cramming a card with the average temp of a blacksmiths forge into tiny laptop bodies was a good idea but it reduced them all to ash in a short time.

Reading this post on a C2D T7500 with Nvidia 8600M - you are absolutely spot on about those temps.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Fo3 posted:

What's wrong with yours?
I'm using a dell from 2007 with a c2d t7800 and nvidia 8600m. Been a good laptop pc for all these years.
Only time I had problems with heat is when linux mint cinnimon goes crazy with cpu usage for some dumb reason, or lots of video watching on 35 c degrees summer day. Most of the time the fan is barely circulating air.

Is yours a DV-9500 by any chance? The one that comes with 2 hard drives, because back when they came out it was the only way to have 320gb.

Most of the time it's ok, but when you have anything that uses the graphics card and/or heavy CPU utilisation, the temps climb up to 75°C. A friend of mine who was working in computer service told me long ago to sell it while it was still working and worth something since they often overheat to the point of damaging the board. Basically it's just a matter of being judicious about letting those temps get high. It's also from that era where you can't just get at the fan and clean it - that requires a full disassembly.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Athenry posted:

I remember using this. My old Performa 6115 couldn't handle anything else while encoding. It also only had a 600MB hard drive, so I kept MP3s on many many zip disks.

I still have some of those MP3s in my music folder. I think their "created on" metadata has been wiped and reset a couple times by now, but I can tell which they are because I encoded them at 112 kbps to save space (I was a dumb kid ok)

I've never seen that one before. We had a windows MP3 encoder at some point, which was a lovely speed boost from l3enc.exe - a DOS based MP3 encoder that we were using for a while before. It was amazing to see MP3 compression the first time - it was met with disbelief and calls that it was a trick. How can you squash a 60MB .wav file into a mere frew megs?!!?

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Humphreys posted:

Obsolete and I need it now!:

loving Parallel Port!

And not cheap/hard to find a PCI-E parallel port too :(

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

I still get a kick out of UT2004 playing a "holy poo poo" sound clip when you max the graphics. Which is much less impressive when you're playing on an ultraportable laptop and it still hits 60FPS.

My mates and I still to this day call putting a game into highest detail as "holy poo poo mode".

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

IIRC I needed drivers for the CD drive, ethernet, monitor to get it above 640x480 in 256 colours, USB, sound, and probably a couple of others that I'm forgetting now. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but drivers from that era seem quite hard to find.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. I remember struggling with computers sometimes back then, but I don't remember it being so bad. I think we're a bit spoiled these days with most things working straight out of the box.

There is at least one VESA universal driver that's been written specifically for windows98, it's even working for Win98 VMs. Perhaps you can try it?

This should be it: http://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbempj_x64.zip, from this page: http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp.htm

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
While I agree in the business world. The medical world still relies heavily on faxes - the reason being accessibility, simplicity and above all else - staunch reliability. For all the problems with faxes in general, there's still a degree of certainty that sending a fax will more often than not, just work.

Also these exist:

(Just search ebay for usb fax)

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

WebDog posted:

Aussie nostalgia overload here:

https://www.gamesmen.com.au/old-catalogues

Old catalogues from The Games Men. Games weren't cheap in Australia. Flipping through stuff like Myst cost $99 at release. Plus back in 1995 the multimedia boom with under the Microsoft Home banner and the glut of shovelware titles of glorified reference CD-Roms. And all of the adult titles casually tossed into the mix as well.

Oh wow. I have a few of these and around 3 years ago I scanned them in for a thread here.

I also contacted the gamesmen guys and showed them the scans. The guy I emailed said that they'd been wanting to do that for a while and that they still had mint copies somewhere at the store. It's so good to see that they've finally gotten around to it.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Powered Descent posted:

That's cooler than what I had. To move anything that was too big for floppies, I had to resort to a null modem, a serial cable, and a copy of Laplink that someone at school had given me.

I was able to use that same serial cable and null modem plug to play Doom against a friend on another PC. Now THAT was just transcendent -- we were both in the same game! When Warcraft II came out, a friend talked a bunch of us into investing in a "network adapter" and oh my god, EIGHT PEOPLE could all play at once in the same game! Suddenly the LAN party became a staple of my weekends.

I still have that old null modem kicking around my box of various plugs and adapters. I'm not sure when I last had a computer that even had a serial port, but hey, you never know when you'll be called upon to fix something ancient.

Your story is almost identical to mine from around the same era. Reading it is almost too strange.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

WebDog posted:

Oh yeah. Wasn't there a batch of mystical Athalons with certain wafers that could get clocked to 1.3ghz?
Had a friend obsessed with finding one. Would check out individual chips at the store to double check.

God I don't miss trying to play Bf1942 or Morrowind at lowest settings on a Celeron 400. (Celery inside) with some Riva TNT2 card.

You ran around in pea soup fog. Cliffracers were a terror unseen.

Ah, the AXIA core athlons. AXIA was part of the manufacturing code, has something to do with the production run, and they were notably good overclockers.

spog posted:

Want to convert your AMD processor 700Mhz to a 1000Mhz chip (back in the day when PC performance was everything to do with processor speed )?

Except, on the athlon 64, AMD was wise to the trick and so they added an etched out lane to stop shady pencilers from unlocking.

And so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RrTRuGc6mg (that music still plays clearly in my head, note for note)

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
I have headphones on and I heard the 15kHz signal quite clearly (and now it stirred up some pseudo tinnitus). Late 30's.

I thought that my hearing was worse than that. :thumbsup:

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Ditto: I have a few of these in different sizes and they all work very well. 3xAA for the car, 2xAA for taking the bins out, 1xAAA pocket carry and they are all as bright as gently caress and cheap enough not to worry about.

I have a 3xD cell that uses standard LEDs that I keep by the front door.

Firmware for a flashlight? Have we finally reached that stage?

This is from approximately a million pages back, but drat if you didn't post my thoughts word for word.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Arrath posted:

IS IT SELECT OR MOVE :argh:

I made this exact same complaint a couple of years ago (in games, while GBS was going through it's akward phase) and was bitched out by a few goons for being "exacting" in wanting a particular kind of control scheme. The rightmouse thing has ruined far to many RTSs for me preciesley because I just don't ever seem to get truly used to it. TA, C&C, red alerts & generals - can work those with an interface that's barely perceptable, but switch to rmouse and I'm fumbling everything.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean it can work but the level design has to be really, really good to make it happen. in HL1 i was literally stuck in a cluster of rooms with no apparent exit and nothing triggering a cutscene or anything (I think there was supposed to be a ladder in a certain spot and it wasn't there for some reason?). in HL2 I ended up in a big open area with... no apparent exit except the place I came in from.

meanwhile, Quake 1 has no map or objective markers, and I can navigate that game just fine because it's made by loving level design wizards who knew to put landmarks in places and have a reasonably obvious "flow" to their levels and executed that basically perfectly throughout the entire game

I can totally sympathise with you on this, because I have fleetingly had the same experience in a few games but have always managed to find the way forward after a short while. Don't ever try descent! :)

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Humphreys posted:

Wow.

Even in the backwater wasteland of Australia I can use our phone apps to transfer money between my accounts instantly, pay off credit cards, pay someone instantly (if same bank) - a few hours/days if different. Never had to actually go to my bank for anything except grandma still sending cheques to us at Christmas.

I haven't used it yet, but now there's a thing called pay ID, and you use your phone number as your reference. With this you're supposed to be able to transfer money across banks within a few minutes.

I mean, this should have been in place about 10 years ago, but it's cool to at least have something now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Here's some obsolete technology for you. I've been building an 8 bit computer out of TTL chips.

Are you Ben Eater?