Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

-Fish- posted:

:words: about cable

When we first got transitioned to digital cable here, we couldn't get the new digital box to work at all, mystifying even Comcast to the point that they sent out a technician. It wasn't until I happened to say something along the lines of "Would the old filter on the line be messing things up?" that they went out to check, and sure enough, that was the problem. We only had limited basic, so until the digital conversion, the filter on the line had been all that was necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The worst part of my 2004 Chevy Malibu is the radio....it's just the stock radio, but it's radio/CD. No cassette, no AUX or USB. The CD is jammed to the point that I can't even find out what disk is stuck in it from the previous owner because it will neither play nor eject.

Replacing it would be roughly $200 because I would need an adapter for the information system display built into it as well as the replacement head unit. Basically, I need this.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My first (and still current) MP3 player was one of these:

20 GB of internal hard drive space, proprietary connector-to-usb connection, and if the battery gets too low, you have to plug it into the wall and charge it that way. Got it in like 2006 or so for less than $100. Works really well, my biggest problems are that the battery dies even if you don't use it for a long time, and the playlists are in a stupid proprietary format that pretty much requires you to use their lovely ancient software.

I'd use my phone instead more but even with using winamp for android, I still get "Apollo has stopped working" and not being able to play anything until I reboot the fucker. Not good when trying to drive.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

strangemusic posted:

Vacuum chat:

my grandmother had a vacuum that was a metal water basin, vaguely UFO shaped, on a wheeled base. Very, very obsolete technology. I think my dad may have kept it, I'll see if I can get a photo because I have no idea what to GIS to find one.

Are you thinking of the Rainbow vacuums?

Basically the water is used in place of a vacuum bag or bagless's canister, they actually still make modern ones.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Yeah. If you don't have to

LOAD "CHROME",8,1

I'm not interested.

You better not have to be loading your phone's browser from a 5.25" floppy disk. :colbert:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

There are still people in this world who really love their Apple II machines.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My college's radio station used to be 24-hour student-run programming, but last year got changed to running Georgia Public Broadcasting from 5 AM to 7 PM every day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRAS_(FM)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Went back home this Thanksgiving and found a small batch of cassettes I recorded with back in high school (because I was broke and CD burning tech wasn't an option for me just yet). I had a hell of a time trying to find a tape player and the only one I could find wouldn't work. Luckily, I still own a car that has a built-in cassette player (although that one is still finicky as hell) :unsmith:

The last car made in the U.S. to have a factory-installed cassette player? This one.

Cassettes: The Very Best in Obsolete Technology

I wish my car had a cassette player. It's a 2004 Chevy Malibu, and it has a (broken) CD player, and no aux-in. I'm stuck with an FM adapter that sounds shittier than a cassette adapter because at least with the cassette adapter, I didn't have to worry about interference or finding an empty radio channel. And since the radio also has the information display, replacing it with a modern head unit would run me about $300.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Apparently it's a lovely enough microSD card that it's slowly corrupting all the data stored on it. Samsung apparently isn't what it used to be.

I have one with that problem too. My phone would keep saying "SD Card unexpectedly removed" even when the phone itself hadn't even been touched. New microSD card, and no problems at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I went from a CD player (can't remember if it did mp3 cds or not) to the Creative Zen Sleek Photo around 2006 or so.

20 gigs of hard drive based storage. Downside is the proprietary software for managing playlists, though files can be added via mtp. Also, proprietary connector to the USB cord, but that was still fairly common. Discovered the hard way that if you let the battery get too low that you have to charge it via wall charger, as it wouldn't wake up long enough to ask the computer for the higher charging voltage on usb. Would still use it for long car trips, except the battery is fubar and I can't be bothered to try ripping it open even if I could find a replacement. My phone's mostly good enough, aside from fiddling with the touch screen while driving.