Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Blue_monday posted:

What gets me though? That keyboard clits are still a thing.

That is the Thinkpad Clitmouse. I have an X60 Tablet and an x61 Tablet - The X60 (on which I am writing this post) is missing it's clit and I use a USB wireless mouse.

I'm not sure if I look sophisticated or a total loving sperg using the clit so both machines have a USB wireless mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Dick Trauma posted:

Good news everyone! I've found a way to get all your news sent directly to your PC, live! Everything you want, all in one place and updated automatically.

My parents had a 150Mhz 1st Gen Pentium Compaq with this piece of poo poo on it. Tried it a few times, never touched it again.

I remember this loathsome pile of hate computer taking ~45 seconds at a minimum to start AOL version 3.0 too.

That and the 'Compaq Diagnostics' which would freeze at the opening progress bar and never finish opening.

No wonder Compaq got eaten by HP.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I had a Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 72 "Diamondtron" Monitor years ago, and that bastard was heavy too. I bought it from one of the computer sales at the Agricenter in Memphis and I about died getting it across the parking lot back to the car.

One of these:
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/2347.htm

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

carry on then posted:

It wasn't bad, but kind of funny when you look at what speeds were available in 1999: http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/quickrefyr.htm#1999

What caused the gigantic increase in clock-speeds around that time? Was the P6 Architecture that much more efficient with it's decoding x86 into micro-ops or was it just process tech improvements?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

carry on then posted:

Netburst is definitely failed technology, an architecture that ran so hot and so slow despite its clock rate that Intel chose the Pentium III to create its mobile Pentium M, and the Pentium M was chosen as the basis for the Core Duo successor to both the 4 and M.

"Netbust"

I still have an old Optiplex and it's got a Prescott Core P4 in it. The stupid thing is annoyingly slow despite running at 2.8GHz.
POS just sits in the closet of junk most of the time. I probably should just bin it but I like having extra computers around.

My 1.6GHz Merom C2D Thinkpad blows it the gently caress away. (X61 Tablet)

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Jun 15, 2014

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Thinkpad X Series Tablets that I've scrounged up have all had this black tape covering some of the vents on the bottom and it's also stuck all over the loving motherboard. I looked at them carefully when removing the boards, didn't see anything that looked like it would short out and ripped out every bit of that crap and I haven't had a bit of problem with them.

That and the giant sticker on top of the Intel Wifi Cards, what is this poo poo? What, are we trying to make the wireless card overheat on purpose?

You wouldn't believe the mountain of tape and stickers I removed from the inside of these things. drat it, Lenovo. I get about a 10 degree reduction in temps from doing this alone.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Distribution Media Format:

quote:

Distribution Media Format (DMF) is a format for floppy disks that Microsoft used to distribute software.[1][2] It allowed the disk to contain 1680 kB of data on a 3½-inch disk, instead of the standard 1440 kB.

If you ever installed Windows95 from floppies, this is what you were using, I think

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Mr.Radar posted:

This printer talk reminded me of The Secret Life of Machines episode on copiers. About a third of the way into the episode they give a demonstration of the world's first commercial xerographic copier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2NIAD5qn7E&t=498s

If you're a fan of obsolete tech the whole episode (and hell, the whole series) are worth watching.

Tim Hunkin Rules. I'll take any opportunity given to say this.

As for printer chat, I have to repeat what I've posted elsewhere that I bought a Xerox Phaser 6125N for $75 off Craigslist, its out of magenta so I can't print in color ATM but it just keeps going and going on the black cart.

The impression count shows 5170 so far.

I have to order the carts from ebay or wherever as NO ONE stocks them here.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The reverse kind of existed in that they released an Apple IIe card for the Pizzabox Mac LC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe_Card

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Athenry posted:

Yeah me too. Technically it was a Zip Plus Drive, so you could connect it via parallel or scsi on Mac.

I guess the Mac OS pre-X belongs in here as well (I don't remember it being issued)

The DOS to Mac OS X's WinNT.

Having to manually assign how much RAM your apps were allowed to use was the most asinine thing. I get that it made sense on the original 128k mac, but come on, that garbage persisted until TYOOL 2000?

If you wanted to let your software use more RAM, you had to exit it, open the little get into dialog on it and up the little number there.

What a crack brained way to manage memory. Made Win3.x even look sleek and sophisticated.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Code Jockey posted:

I miss old MacOS. :smith: I love it.

You do what now?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Then there's this. The fact that large parts of classic Mac OS were running under emulation to not break 68k backwards compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_68k_emulator

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

NLJP posted:

This was a long rear end time ago and I was a really dumb kid but I seem to remember that with pre-MacOSX it was pretty easy to delete or disable vital plugins. Confirm or deny?

The whole plugin system hosed with us in general considering we were mostly there to play games on our parent's computer without the guidance of the internet, mostly.

They were called extensions, and there was an extensions folder. They were unstable as gently caress.

You might be thinking of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_conflict

The "March of the icons" at startup below the Welcome to Macintosh/Mac OS thing at start-up was all the extensions loading up.

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 04:31 on May 14, 2015

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hey who remembers DLL Hell? I'm pretty sure computers in general just sucked during that era but nobody noticed because they were all awful.

It was the genesis of the WinSxS folder that everyone seems to hate so much.

That, and the underlying mechanism are pretty good at what they do, but it gets a mountain of poo poo because the way the files are linked makes the folder look huuuuuge.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Zopotantor posted:

Emulators are cool, yo.

(That's a CP/M emulator running inside a Mac emulator inside a Windows emulator inside another Mac emulator, on BeOS.)

I agree that emulators are cool, but not when the underlying operating system is running using emulation. That's wasteful.

I prefer video game console emulators myself.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

SwissCM posted:

It's fun seeing how deep you can go before it's unusably slow.

Like, keep going until you smell burning, and you open your computer up to find an unrecognizable melted, burned place where the CPU was?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along those lines, I actually bought someone some headphones a few years back as a gift and did bit of research on the internet about them to see how they rated. I learned there was a headphone mod hobby where people were going in and taking them apart and replacing the included cables and soldering in new ones, doing some other changes to the construction, etc. to make them sound better. Sort of surprised by that, for some reason.

The Koss 60 ohm drivers have a baffle in front of the driver and people love to gently caress with it for whatever reason:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/124243/kramer-mod-ksc75

I like the way they sound out of the box thank you very much.

Porta Pros and the KTXPro1 are great cheapies.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

cobalt impurity posted:

I saw one of these at a zoo that had a choice of animals! I had completely forgotten about it but I thought it was neat at the time. My parents thought it was a waste of money so I never got to see it in action.

The Memphis zoo used to have a ton of these things too...

Used to burn the fu-u-uck out of my fingers with the moldings until they cooled down.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

axolotl farmer posted:

and up to Windows Me you always ran as root. the few that used Linux were really smug about that.

People still want to run as root and do ignorant poo poo like turn UAC completely off.

UAC is a good thing, people. Being able to run as a regular user and elevate in windows is progress.

It's not perfect, not by any means, but it's certainly better than the old system where any malicious software that made it's way onto your computer could be like "gently caress your entire filesystem"

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I'm grandpa I guess but I like having an actual OS disc in the event the computer gets hosed.

Unless they come up with some sort of self replicating usb. The Windows app Rufus ( https://rufus.akeo.ie/ ) in the form of a USB device would be magical. Give it a thumb drive or a usb optical drive or whatever containing your os image on one end and the drive you want to make bootable on the other and press the button.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Computer viking posted:

Which is one of those things that have enough failure modes and possible annoyances that I really like having the option of installing from a USB stick.

Or, you know, a disc.

Having a local copy of the operating system, the thing that keeps the computer from being an expensive thing with a lot of blinky lights, is important.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

My recommendation is to start preserving things you love and don't wan't to go away.

AFAIK, I'm one of a scant few people who actually cares about my favorite videogame platform (the Poly Game Master/PGM). The secondary market for it is cheap as hell and barely existent and there is almost no reliable information about repairing or servicing them (the common suggestion is "they're cheap, buy another one").But the world needs more people who just hold on to poo poo, because that's how it doesn't get lost and people in the present are awful judges of what people in the future will want to be around.

My attitude is thus:

Streaming sucks. MY copy of my file. That I can copy where the gently caress ever I please. DRM this mother fuckers.

If you give a poo poo about it, save a copy of it. Portable hard drives aren't that expensive, get several. Make copies.

My favorite gaming platform, because I'm a bit of a normie I guess, is the NES. I have soooooo many NES ROMs.

Computer viking posted:

Why? A USB3 stick is easier to carry, much more resistant to physical abuse, way way faster, supported on more machines, and easier to boot from (no more "Did I do something wrong, or was it just so slow to spin up that the BIOS thought there wasn't a bootable disk in the drive?"). The only thing a DVD does better might be long-time storage ... and that's what image files on a NAS is for.

Might need to copy from the disc onto the usb sometime. Better be prepared. Redundancy is a good thing.

That, and the OS image has to get onto the USB in the first place somehow.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I think this is a good place to post this now:

The quest to save today’s gaming history from being lost forever
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/the-quest-to-save-todays-gaming-history-from-being-lost-forever/

quote:

But paradoxically, an Atari 2600 cartridge that’s nearly 40 years old is much easier to preserve at this point than many games released in the last decade. Thanks to changes in the way games are being distributed, protected, and played in the Internet era, large parts of what will become tomorrow's video game history could be lost forever. If we're not careful, that is.

Archivist nerds unite!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

But holy poo poo don't use SSD's. The issues with cold storing SSD's haven't been publicized enough IMHO.

Winchester HDDs are much better for this. Might have to smack em against a table to bring em back to life sometimes though.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

SwissCM posted:

Eventually the internet will become pervasive enough that not having access to the internet won't be a thing unless it's a personal choice or whatever.

Unless you live in a rural area. Internet availability out in the sticks is woefully inadequate.

Coffee And Pie posted:

On the topic of CDs, with the advent of bluetooth-enabled MP3 players, the big chunky stereos that only had radio, cassette, and sometimes CD are a thing of the past. I found this one (not my picture) at a Goodwill today, probably the height of tacky-looking stereos.

This rules. I want it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

VHS.

I know at least some of you, like me, had to remove the lid of a VCR repeatedly to disentangle the tape from all the clockwork, and then from thereafter that spot in the tape would play a little funny.

gently caress Video tape.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
All of that pulling the tape way out of the cartridge was why it took so long to get the player to start playing, to stop, and to eject.

All the ertnnnertwoooOOOooooShunk was all that mechanism pulling the tape back in before it could eject the tape.

The best thing was the player ejecting the tape shell but with several feet of tape still tangled up in the vcr. Just lovely.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Christ almighty, really? I thought we'd moved past that as a society.

Honestly a loving minute phone would be better than dealing with a party line.

Don't let the inbred backwoods booger eating cousin fuckers run the phone company.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I was trying to poo poo on the phone company, not your family. Sorry.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Where does Colossus fit into the history of computers? I've had this Jeremy Clarkson Computers Documentary on my drives for 15+ years, it tells the history of computing from a British perspective and I'm curious to know how it jives with the American narrative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTsHnxS5bg0

Worth watching at least the first few minutes to see Clarkson smashing the gently caress out of an old laptop with a hammer.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

open24hours posted:

I used to hate autos, then some time in the 90s they became OK as long as the car was reasonably powerful, and in the past 10 years they've reached a point where they're not too bad even on low powered economy cars. I'd rather drive a manual (and I do), but it's getting harder and harder harder to criticise someone for buying an auto these days.

I think part of it is that automatic transmissions became tolerable at the same time that Fuel Injection got really good. Made FI engines much more tractable so they didn't have all their power sapped out of them.

As per my username, I had a Vanagon with a 1.9l wasserboxer with absolutely lovely Digiet fuel injection and a 3 speed non lockup autobox. It was utter hell. Plant your foot and wait.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Typewriter symphony Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZCh4EY_kug

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Alcatel A466BG Tracfone I got from Rite Aid has an FM radio in it that needs headphones plugged in. It can play through the speaker via a toggle in the radio app it comes with.

http://tracfoneusermanual.com/alcatel-pixi-unite-a466bg-review/

Not a bad phone for the $30 it cost me.

Apparently most Smartphones have the capability to tune FM but it's locked out in software to make you use more data:

The Hidden FM Radio Inside Your Pocket, And Why You Can't Use It
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/04/16/400178385/the-hidden-fm-radio-inside-your-pocket-and-why-you-cant-use-it

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I've got a 2nd generation 4GB iPod Nano that I fished out of someone's trash on the curb a few months ago and installed Rockbox on.

Music players should all be like this, copy your files to the file system directly and access them via an onboard file system browser.

Pictures kind of suck, but it's the best my piece of poo poo phone can manage. Sorry.

Rockbox is so great.
https://www.rockbox.org/

I had a Sandisk Sansa c200 which was a piece of poo poo, but I still loved it way back in 2007. It was my first mp3 player.

I put Rockbox on it too.

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Last Chance posted:

Ohhh we had this in our middle school lab thing. At the time I thought building a floppy drive into a camera was ingenious.

In the days where flash memory was still ruinously expensive, i'd say it was a pretty good idea.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Some more 90s bullshit :

The Secure Digital Music Initiative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_Music_Initiative

Son of a bitches wanted to find a way to watermark MP3 files undetectably to normal people. Thank gently caress they never figured it out.

quote:

The strategy for the SDMI group involved two stages. Firstly to implement a secure digital watermarking scheme. This would allow music to be tagged with a secure watermark that was hard to remove from the source audio without damaging it. The second stage was to ensure that SDMI compliant players (see the SDMI Portable Device Specification) would not play SDMI tagged music that was not authorized for that device. The reasoning was that even if the files were distributed they could not be played as the device would detect the music was not authorized to be played on it.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Furby Bending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvruD_twPN8

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Circuit Bent Glitch Monster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKXecfkne38

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

GWBBQ posted:

I got one for $50 at Goodwill a couple of months ago and it runs just fine with Windows 10 and the old platter hard drive.

It's a Winchester Hard Drive :smuggo:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Winchester_disk_drive.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fs71P3J2AA

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Trabant posted:

And they seem to be really intent on keeping alive the "Check out the new Sonique skin I just downloaded" aesthetic:

I've always heard it called as the "Tokyo Ginza by night" school of design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Everyone who has an ACVW Should have a Blazecut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kswau1mGBE8

poo poo is amazing.

http://blazecut.com/