Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

R.L. Stine posted:

The place where I work is also the area's electronics recycling drop-off place, so we regularly get tons and tons of crazy old poo poo.

Do you work at Weird Stuff? If anyone here is in the bay area, you should definitely go there at least once.

http://www.weirdstuff.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I posted this a while back, but since haptics and obsolete tech are mentioned together...

The wingman force feedback mouse.

Logitech Wingman Force Feedback Mouse in Action: http://youtu.be/Kr_HQge58ho

I worked at the originating IP company and we had a literal wall of these that Logitech made us take that we could neither sell nor dispose of because if \*reasons*

They were essentially a mouse on top of a tiny force feedback joystick. Neat because it gave you full force feedback, useless because you had all of about 4 inches of play to move the mouse around.

Had some neat/useless hooks into windows too that would make the mouse perform indents when you did things like select cells in excel or run through menus.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are we talking about useless pointing devices now?

HP 9845C with light pen

Proust Malone has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jan 23, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

2400bps? Look at richie rich here with his speedy-rear end modem

*waits 8 hours to download boob.pcx from local BBS*

2400? What is this new fangled wizardry? If your modem could receive text faster than you can type, you need to get off my lawn.. *clutches acoustic coupler*

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I managed to get a very early BURN PROOF writer, back when you could sell copies to people for 10 quid a pop, and not dodgy software either, like copies of their files :lol:

Yeah mine saw me through 2 PCs which is a feat that has never been repeated I don't think, very good cards

I was an undergraduate during the heyday of napster. A guy in my dorm was selling CDs of people's mp3 (from open windows share folders) for $10 a pop.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shout out to the cheap laser printers. I have a $50 dollar one I picked up from Fry's and she's still chugging ~8 years later

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just bought a replacement at Weird Stuff for $10, so I may be back in business soon.

What up south bay buddy

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What does equivalent of mean in this context? Does it print a continuous roll?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, continuous feed, 2-up. 500 Feet per minute.

Way back in the day i used to run a xerox docutech.

I've always had a boner for mechanical systems that move paper. Newspaper printers give me a chub too.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

When I bought a Mac back in like 1996 in the showroom they had one of those huge rear end printers that took up the whole side of one room, it was really beaten up and lovely looking.

The salesdude told us that the people who bought it on credit were using it to print off fake money to pay for it :lol:

They got caught

I used it to make fake IDs which I then sold. So pretty much printing money.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

I saw one not long ago for Kids Bop where not only was it comically overpriced but the hook was that you would get a second copy FOR FREE. Which like, OK, one for the house, one for the car, an extra for when your kids destroy it, but, really? $10 to download it and burn as many as you want, not an option?

I listen to kids bop...in my minivan... it's horrible. But then I don't really listen to much pop music. It's gotten to the point where I hear the real version of the song and it sounds off to me.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I guess not technically obsolete, this is one of the first projects I worked on our of college:

BMW iDrive. We did the hardware, Alps and BMW did the software interface. Force feedback knobs with effects. The idea was that you could use a single knobs to control everything and the force feedback would provide you with enough information to do it without taking your eyes off the road. Our prototype rocked, their implementation sucked, the press hated it.

On the plus side, I did get to drive one of the first 7 series with it installed for a little while.

We also made a similar rotary force feedback implementation on the first Gen ipod:

Which I thought totally rocked, but apple turned us down on the basis of power consumption.

Proust Malone has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Mar 2, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Have never used iDrive, but it looks similar to Mercedes Comand knob.

One scroll wheel that controls everything works quite well, how did BMW manage to gently caress it up?

We did a scroll wheel for Nissan that looked like a mouse wheel. It was supposed to go on the steering wheel, but it never went anywhere.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm wondering how this would even be possible, since iDrive buries everything in piles of menus that you navigate by either turning or sliding (!!!) the knob on a completely arbitrary basis. It's certainly possible to adjust the air conditioning through iDrive in my dad's 5, but I'd only ever attempt it while completely stopped. (Not that I would anyway, since the actual knobs are right there.)

There's also no way to turn off the screen; selecting the option just displays shimmery LCD "black", which is somehow more distracting than the actual default menu view.

Yep. You'll get no argument from me.

With familiarity, the most used functions are intuitive, but diving through menus while driving never seemed like a good idea to me.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

sitchensis posted:

From page 20. Too soon?

I have a tablet pc which I use a lot. I tried the surface and kinda liked it, but you can pry my ThinkPad keyboard with the clip mouse from my cold dead hands.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nutsngum posted:

Im not even sure photo chemicals are that toxic to ingest anyway (dont do it anyway) because as you said, they act on silver compounds which we dont have any of as far as I know.

You don't maybe...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Sausages posted:

Good ol' dumb terminals. This was pretty much ubiquitous in any library I visited (school, public, university) well into the 2000's. We'd make them do weird poo poo but I forget what or how, sorry. But I did guess my high school library's admin password - DEWEY.

Perhaps the most widely-used software written using BASIC.

I don't think it was exactly this, but my first experience with the Internet was through a university terminal like this that allowed access to usenet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Humphreys posted:

Because people these days have an aversion for reading onscreen instructions and are expected to be presented with a wizard or have their hands held through a GUI akin to a mobile app. It better have images, animations and videos. Dumb people DO judge a book by its cover.jpg.

On Military tech failures I feel cheated that the RAH-66 never made it into production.

Taking so long in testing and design killed it off. Whenever I see one I think of the really interesting movie 'Pentagon Wars' which detailed the mess of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

I was always personal to this version of the Bradley