Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Ho-lee poo poo. Finally caught up with this thread after I think like 1,5 years. Sadly forgot all those things I wanted to post about. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Boiled Water posted:

Depending on just how crap your mail server is that might still be true. Getting an "i forgot my password" request from EA.com for example can easily take an hour, if it ever arrives.

I just deleted 40k deferred e-mails after a compromised web spammed a lot. Some legit e-mails might never arrive.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Powered Descent posted:

40k, you say? "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only spam."

My boss was 'not amused' when I told him about it, but hey, what can you do? \/:shobon:\/ (I even called SpamTitan support to see if there was any other option)

This is what happens when you don't notice/fix a spamming web for a week.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Kelp Me! posted:

Anyone who recommends an FM transmitter has never tried using one in or around a major city

I disagree, I live in a major city and used to live directly below the main FM broadcast tower, a good one works perfectly fine and doesn't interfere with anyone else. There is enough unused bandwidth, at least in my country.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Pham Nuwen posted:

For a while I was running some Cyanogenmod build or whatever that set up the phone so that IIRC a quick double tap on the volume-up button would skip to the next song, and that was a huge improvement over trying to use the screen. It was great when riding the motorcycle too because I could hit the volume button through the outside of my jacket pocket.

Any Android I've encountered lets you skip by either double tapping or holding the volume up.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

I heart bacon posted:

Yeah, they might not like it if you do.
:downsrim:

That car is so old i feel like a bluetooth joke just doesn't work.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Collateral Damage posted:

The only time I hear about prepaid cards nowadays is when people are talking about scams.

I don't know if it's common in the US, but prepaid cards got obsoleted by virtual cards here (:sweden:). I just log in to my online bank and generate a temporary card that draws from my regular account up to a chosen limit.

Prepaid cards are still attractive for underage kids.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Don't worry guys, remote control shenanigans are still alive today since TVs haven't changed. Everyoen who has an android phone with an IR LED is sure to be blasting at beamers, TVs and everything else IR controlled.
Since TV sessions were the best, I don't think anyone had any reason to want to mess with them tho.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Krispy Kareem posted:

It wasn't malware, it was a way worse root kit.

I think Lenovo is the one who installed actual malware on their bottom tier PC's.

Lenovo installed a thing that put a root CA in, I think people even got the private key for it after a short while.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ReidRansom posted:

In case of emergency or if other infrastructure is down for some reason, I could see it being very useful, though that's a long way to go for emergency preparedness when an FRS/GMRS/CB would probably work for basic communication in that sort of scenario.

Well, all those unlicensed bands are already semi-crowded and would be really bad when everyone gets out their walkie-talkie. In HAM radio you got fairly decent coordination, but more importantly you can choose from a wide range of frequencies.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

ReidRansom posted:

Although I feel like even unlicensed band equipment is an uncommon enough thing these days that it would still be somewhat useful, yeah that is a tick in the HAM column.

I'm not sure about the US, but PMR446 is something you can go 'scanning' with any old end device and you can be certain that you'll pick something up on channel 1 within no time. Hell, I had people randomly braodcasting music on there. CB is also filled with truckers and some diehards who don't want to become hams and just transmit with thousands of Watts. In my country you also get a lot of interference from Russia.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

dont be mean to me posted:

Familiarity is a hell of a drug.

On the other hand, having a hard copy is useful because if your computer navigator cuts out it's better than ending up in The Woods or something.

I don't get people with no sense of direction, I was out and about just exploring some roads and my phone locked up and I couldn't get it to work within reasonable time since it was dying at that time, I just used road signs and scenery to orient myself. I still got home.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gromit posted:

I describe myself as having no sense of direction and I can read a map and follow signposts and look for landmarks no problem. But drive me out somewhere I've never been and I can't point my way home. I need to travel a path multiple times before it sticks in my head, and I find it very hard to memorise street names. I would describe what you're talking about as being a spatial awareness issue or something.
Then again, maybe I've got the definition wrong all this time?

I would have used it the other way around, but I guess these are fairly flexible terms anyway. Luckily finding my way back has never been a problem for me either.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Cat Hatter posted:

I have no idea why some people think their priorities are universal. The screen is bigger, they can support real-time traffic (Garmin and Tom Tom have been doing that for about a decade), usually have a more sensitive antenna, the radio turns itself down so you can hear directions, don't have to plug your phone into a charger and attach it to the windshield with a suction cup that sometimes falls down (and I think is illegal in some states), works in areas with poor cell reception...

I don't even have a navigation system in either of my cars, but I understand that they have advantages that some people find appealing.

Theres also air duct mounts, magnet mounts... Sygic also has live traffic and screen size is a preference with phones just as much as gps.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Gromit posted:

A friend of mine loves milsim and when we play Arma 3 he can read the heck out of a map and use the compass to cover many virtual square miles of terrain. Get him into Killing Floor and he gets lost going from the trader back to our camping spot which would be the equivalent of going about 150 yards through some corridors. It's weird

Honestly, a lot of the Killing Floor maps have a confusign layout, and I totally feel your friend, when you never really take the time to learn the layout and are focused on pulling constant headshots, certain maps have almost nothing identifying one end from the other.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The problem with maps are the ever changing road structures around here, it's the downside of an efficient Autobahn provider.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Cat Hatter posted:

...So nobody should ever have the option of a built in navigation system because they might want a smaller screen that they have the option of mounting in a different way that is still less secure than having one built into the dash?

I'm not saying that a navigation system is clearly better for all people (personally, I use my phone most of the time and a Garmin if I'm going on a road trip), but there is a common sentiment in this thread that "Technology X is not the best solution for me, therefore nobody else could possibly have a use for it".

You do realize there are huge phones too?

I for one certainly would appreciate the return of the DIN radio, gently caress all these fancy radios taking two slots with a special cover that can't do the most basic things unless you pay 1000+ $ to get the 'better' model.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Platystemon posted:

lol if you buy a phablet just so you can have a bigger screen for navigation

No, but his argument seems to be a bigger screen, other people have huge phones that a GPS can't even compete with.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Humphreys posted:

As a dude who spent the money and time hacking/modding to get the 'better' model, all I want it a double DIN.

It's just annoying as gently caress that you can't put any aftermarket radio in, because it will never fit with the dash with the cover removed. On my old RAV4 I replaced the radio with a cheap 100 $ unit and had all the features VW would charge me at least 1k to upgrade to (Bluetooth...). Afterwards the dash still looked fine. I know integrated is modern and it is sleek, but I feel like you could still make it so the radio is replaceable without completely loving up the look.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Good solder joints are important unless you want your things to burn and/or break.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HAT FETISH posted:

Apropos of nothing, are there any particularly good books about phone hacking/phreaking that anyone would recommend?

I like the PLA book, not much hacking tho, really.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The inclusion 5 1/4" and 3.5" floppies is an interesting timeline thing. By the time I got into gaming the big floppies were gone, and I remember increasing numbers of floppy disks, then floppy disks+CD, then finally just a cd, then two CDs, then (Holy poo poo, Riven) like four CDs. Then they started selling games on DVD. Have they moved on to Blu-Ray or something now or are physical releases basically just a memory?

Which physical releases?
These days you get a code and maybe a CD/DVD with Steam on it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Phone scanning apps are garbage and it doesn't allow me to store documents in sufficient quality to replace paper copies.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
All this CCTV chat about resolution is redundant, most cameras in use today are poo poo because of exposure, and general problems with image quality rather than the resolution. I'd take a sharp, high range camera at 480p over any lovely 1080p crap any day.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Any recognized brand uses good LEDs, not necessarily Cree. I like Nitecore, Fenix, Led Lenser (too expensive for what they are), with nitecore having the best firmware on the market IMO.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

spog posted:

Ditto: I have a few of these in different sizes and they all work very well. 3xAA for the car, 2xAA for taking the bins out, 1xAAA pocket carry and they are all as bright as gently caress and cheap enough not to worry about.

I have a 3xD cell that uses standard LEDs that I keep by the front door.

Firmware for a flashlight? Have we finally reached that stage?

Well most chinese craplights don't remember mode but have 20 because they want to be like the big boys. So to switch between high and low, you have to go through strobe and SOS as well. usually with a lovely switch. Nitecore lights have tons of small extra features that are really neat AND several programmable modes for your application. Only thing I don't like about them is the 18650 batteries, I am bad at keeping them charged. For AA I have been happy with my fenix tho.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

PhotoKirk posted:

I put one of the LED conversions in my big 5D Maglite and keep it in my truck. Much brighter and I can use it as an improvised hammer.

I have an old 3D and 4D, I thought about converting them, but D cells are expensive and hard to come by and the conversion kits are expensive, especially for what they are.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

sarcastx posted:

mostlygray isn't entirely wrong about the "predictive" aspects of his rant - cars will get there, of course, and when they do, they'll be able to
*Apply varied brake force to individual brakes, which a human can't
*Distribute torque from left to right as appropriate, or front to back for AWD cars

This already happens. There are 'virtual diffs' that are based entirely on braking the other wheels.

Hell, this whole statement is ridiculous, I live in a country with snow and mountains, and for shits and giggles I went down a far too steep hill in my minivan, I actually got up that hill without snowchains by letting the TCS do it's thing for a while. No one can tell me that turning it off and just putting the throttle down is any better than controling every brake individually and auto-throttling according to wheel slip. The car can literally inch itself forward this way in a way you never could.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Collateral Damage posted:

I wish more phones had options for putting a better lens on it though, since that's the usual shortcoming of phones.

Motorola's Moto Z modular phone looks kind of neat, but the camera module is kind of pricey.

The problem is putting a proper lens connector on a phone that already has zero real estate for anything.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

sarcastx posted:

I'm not sure if you got the point of the post; we are in agreement on mostlygray being hilariously wrong about driver aids.

The point I made wasn't that cars in the future can have torque vectoring and individually brake wheels (which they already do) - it's that in the future, they'll use these existing technologies in conjunction with camera and sensor data, and identify things like snow berms, ice patches and standing puddles of water and understand how they can be handled. mostlygray's point was that he can see and respond to stuff that cars don't - I'm saying that cars will see and respond to things in the future that they don't now, but are already infinitely better equipped to respond to them than luddite drivers.

Oh alright I missed that. The second part of my post wasn't aimed at you either way.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

DoctorWhat posted:

Windows 8 has a great start menu, people are just babies about it.

Windows 8 doesn't even have a start menu.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I suspect it's spite for when they can't get away with the whole unit because it was properly secured.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

T-man posted:

why is it rendering a condom?

Showing that you can use it for sex ed too.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Geoj posted:

I'd be more concerned that they're currently owned by the same group that thought Chrysler was a sound investment, and spent the post-war era through 2017 under the management of General Motors.

Basically I wouldn't trust their vehicles any further than you can throw them.

I'm pretty sure you can't even throw most Opels, so that's not a valid way of getting them to move either. Pushing might still work

Disclaimer: I don't actually hate Opel, they are just unequivocally known as being bad cars.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Phy posted:

If you were locked in an apartment with a credit card, a source of potable water, and a phone that only went to the McMaster app, you could actually live quite comfortably until you died from a vitamin deficiency. (They sell office snacks including energy bars and beef jerky and Gatorade packets. And the energy bars have vitamin c, so no scurvy!)

Alternatively, you could just order the tools to get out, but any prison is just in your mind, I suppose.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I've been meaning to implement a sort if wake up light type alarm clock, but for noe I am using the type that tries to wake you half an hour early but only works if you are in light sleep.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Slimy Hog posted:

Unless it phones home, then you'd have to setup a dummy server + know what response it should be sending

Well no, you can just block it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Powered Descent posted:

When I'm driving, the last thing I want is to be fiddling with my phone, so I don't bluetooth it to the car stereo at all. Instead I've made a USB stick full of folders that roughly correspond to the mix CDs (or burned copies of albums) I used to keep in the CD changer in my last car. Of course now I can have way more "CDs" and they aren't constrained by the 74-minute limit. Every now and then I bring the USB drive in and add to or change up the music.

I'm probably way overestimating how much actual phone fiddling would be required, but I've worked myself into a happy little rut with the USB stick method, so why change now?

You can get your phone to autoplay whatever you like

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

rndmnmbr posted:

What is this "paid vacation"? At job 1, I'm at 36 hours per week, classified as PT and get no benefits. Job 2 is a contract gig, I get two weeks but they're unpaid and still working job 1. The last "vacation" I had was two weeks 100% unpaid three years ago, recovering from emergency gallbladder surgery.

Holy poo poo how do you survive mentally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So apparently OLED displays are prone to screen burn-in? Lmao.

Yes. Ever since my Galaxy Note I have specifically looked for non-OLED phones.