Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
He's not the only one; if you don't remember from the time, Nintendo was giving out free protective gloves to dodge a lawsuit after widespread injuries from it. I tried finding a picture on GIS but had no luck; I remember the ads showing it as being white and fingerless, and I think possibly even more of a triangle shape than an actual "full" fingerless glove

http://news.cnet.com/Nintendo-offers-glove-to-prevent-joystick-injuries/2100-1040_3-237808.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NLTW60 in my car and it works great. Doesn't directly transmit over FM, but you can just plug the 3.5 jack into whatever; alt port, cassette adapter, fm transmitter, FM modulator (plugs directly into the radio instead of an antenna cable)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Remember those antenna stickers from the days of flip phones? Apparently snake oil is never obsolete!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The connector may suck, but SCART cables are awesome since they let you have pure RGB from consoles which is miles ahead of composite or even S-Video

efb while looking for comparison pics

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I've been really tempted to rebuy a https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SCH-U470 that I had years ago and just completely ditch smartphones altogether, but the problem is that the GSM version was apparently rare and never shows up for what I'd consider to be a sane dumbphone price

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

And even in the modern days of actually having monitors as high resolution as 640x480 or even 800x600, the struggles still existed. This was in no way an exaggeration (aside from the lightning quick load time of the popup)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

I love old mp3 players. Anyone else own one of these?

Inside was a 5gb micro hard drive, which was a massive failure point. I went through like 3 of them that luckily Creative covered under warranty.

Shiiiit, that's luxury. My MP3 player was a 96MB Soulmate that I bought for around $120. It also used its own clunky and proprietary software to load the device (one file at a time if I remember right), just like the GBA flash carts of yore

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If you want, I've got an LG VM670 running Android 2.2.2 that you can stick an SD card into for all the space you want. It's got the extended battery, so it's a brick but it will last at least a dozen hours if not more, especially if you put it in airplane mode (and no reason not to). It's already been factory reset and just sitting around, so if someone wants to pay for shipping and maybe an optional little bit extra I'd be happy to send it to a good home

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Of course it's obvious, Asians typically move to areas that have a high concentration of Asia-specific phone cards and shops

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Smartmedia, you say? That can only mean one thing:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/03/08/hands-on-with-the-gp32

A portable emulator box back in the day when the non-SP/micro GBA was relevant? Yes, please!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Speaking of light guns and obsolete, here's some head tracking tech that was basically rendered moot by the new wave of VR headsets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw&t=150s

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I wish I never sold my Fingerworks Touchstream
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231915813228

Apple bought out the company secretly one day and sales of their stuff completely ground to a halt. Their tech and patents are what the entire multitouch/gesture paradigm (I can't believe I actually used that word, but it's the one that best fits) is based upon. Back when it was directly through Fingerworks the company actually trusted the user to be smart, so the gestures and customization were amazing. You could set up taps, rotation, movement, pinching/growing with any number of fingers and set them each to mean anything. It was so cool to be able to do your mouse movement with two fingers, then, say, switch to touching with your thumb and middle and ring finger then give a short clockwise twist to paste what's in the clipboard. Sounds a little convoluted, but it was just so natural and fast

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I imagine things would have gone a little different if I was trying to finance it.

From what I understand, you actually would have gotten a lower price since the dealers get a commission from the lenders for setting up loans (or just even more direct profit if it's in-house lending), that's why current advice seems to be to let the dealer believe you're trying to finance, then only mention a full payment (even if it's a loan check from your own bank) once the numbers are settled

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Though really, the entire conversation about how opaque and convoluted the process is should just serve to show how outdated and lovely the entire thing is

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

spog posted:

I wonder at what point it is more cost effective to have power windows on every car than it is to manage two different builds and supply chains,

I'd say it's less about cost and more about price discrimination. They can advertise a nearly-fictional barebones price, but a package that includes things almost everyone thinks of as standard like power windows/locks could sell for 10% or even higher of the car's lowest possible price

Personally I'll shoot for barebones with my next car, I'm a big fan of simplicity, it sucks when a multi-hundred motor/regulator dies, and I unironically loved driving old cars that didn't have power steering

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The sheer number of copycat channels after that one guy got popular on reddit is hilarious

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

In FL the registration stickers just go directly on the license plate itself. I don't see why that wouldn't work in any other states, maybe they thought there would be an epidemic of license plate theft/swapping?

True that there's no smogging here, but why does that even need its own sticker? Just get paperwork from whatever agencies saying that your car passed the various inspections, then bring that to the DMV when it's time to renew your car (or sign an affidavit if your car is non-operable and get a different color registration sticker so the police know there's no valid inspections). That way if you don't have your inspections, you don't get your registration renewal.

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 20:41 on May 9, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

As far as the music itself, rip the CDs to a lossless open source format like FLAC and you'll be all set. The FLAC 'masters' are literally as good as the CD itself, and you can just convert a copy from flac to mp3 or whatever is the flavor of the decade when you need smaller or player-specific files

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Because this is what happens when you do, if you have too many CDs

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The biggest problem is (sound, not bitrate) compression rather than just mix channels from a generic standpoint https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

From what I understand, the biggest non-nostalgia reason that vinyl is reported as better than CD is because most use actual sane compression that actually give a big dynamic range, as opposed to CDs which use the same compression intended for FM radio

vvv: I hadn't heard that story before, that's hilarious

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 19:59 on May 12, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I was lucky enough to see Antoine Dufour and a few others live a few years ago. I'd thought that their recordings were great, but holy gently caress nothing will ever match just how beautiful the music was live and just how hard the bass can hit your stomach. They had some kind of string instrument that was larger than a cello that they used for some of the bass, and god drat there are no words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlyHbu0zz4

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Maybe, I don't play so I don't know the details at all. They did mention some of their stuff being custom made and had things like triple neck guitars (though AD did all his stuff on regular acoustics like in the video, though a couple may have had extra strings)

e: Yeah, whatever, I'm a dum; point was that even with great recordings, there are still ephemeral qualities to live music that it just can't capture. Maybe with incredibly expensive speakers, sure, but I was just offering a counterpoint to muddy recordings compared to live

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 21:36 on May 12, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Aren't beepers on a different cell network that's more robust or something like that? Maybe not after cell lines switched from analog to digital, but I remember that being a thing and the primary reason doctors had beepers even after cells dropped from insanely expensive to just sorta expensive

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The new wave of automation is probably the biggest reason there's been a push for UBI (and why it's being treated more like a serious policy than a blatant vote for money). I suppose you could say that the entire current economy and societal structure will be listed in this thread soon

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Nobody sane is saying the current step is the jobmageddon, but it's pretty obvious where the trend is headed in the long run. Not even that there won't be jobs, but that there won't be enough jobs - particularly unskilled ones

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Mcdonalds isn't really aimed at the poor any more, they've switched their prices to target the suburban lazy like wendys.

Back to content, I miss third party unofficial addons to games. I remember back in the 90s you could buy weird expansion packs to duke3d and doom in regular stores. This has been sort of taken over by the modding community, but it's just not the same.

On the same topic, games having CD music was fun; you could put in a different CD while the game's playing to have a different sound track, and you could listen to the music on its own as long as you remember to skip track 1. There was a quake1 demo that came on a CD in some kind of multimedia magazine, I think it was associated with MTV or something like that. It was funny, since the demo was still coded to pull the intro screen's music from track 2, but the multimedia CD had demos of singles from various groups like green day, so quake would play with pop music in the background instead of the ambient stuff

vvv: That's the kind of thing that's missing from youtube

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 22:12 on May 22, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But can you self-checkout a propietary lightbulb socket switch?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

To be a cynic, people with a fresh degree that are looking for menial jobs are basically the new wave of indentured servants.

There's a huge chance that they'll have enormous debt hanging over their heads. If they're applying for a crap job or one not in their field, it's obvious that they're desperate. If they don't already have any marketable experience, then you know they have no leverage to find another job. You can easily make them work 80h no-overtime weeks on salary, work in terrible conditions or with unfit equipment, and basically take advantage of them in every possible way.

Even if the person knows how to say "no" and actually stand up for themself, they won't risk doing it to someone above them in the only job they can get

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Apprentice? That sounds like union talk, we can't have none of that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_VL4gqrCHc

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Talk-only headsets are obsolete, but over-the-neck a2dp (stereo music) ones are everywhere

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I doubt he's posting from a total vaccum

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I had one of those electronic clusters in my old 88 Lebaron, and I have you know that it absolutely kicked rear end. :mad:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, it wasn't as exact as a needle, but it at least had a decent resolution at 4 bars per thousand. Mine was an automatic so I didn't have to worry about being too precise, and it had the kind of engine where it was really easy to tell by feel/sound if anything was odd. One thing I miss is having an oil temperature gauge - I know it doesn't matter as much for non-turbo cars, I like to know how gentle I should be with the car until everything's fully warmed up in cold weather

A relatively crappy video, but it's the same kind of cluster that I had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKbBnqWZAsw

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Seems like a good fit for those pseudo-holodeck places that use open spaces and environmental effects to produce immersive VR experiences, but I don't believe that many people will splash out for a backpack computer just for VR.

It seems odd to me that everyone is on board with walking-around vr. I'd be willing to bet that it will die of just as quickly as Gorilla Arm Minority Report interfaces - the real world use case seems to just scream a stationary seated user with an effectively 360° 3D monitor

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I agree that AR has some potential. The first kind of game that pops to mind is a virtual haunting/ghost hunting type of setup - that easily gets around the "no tactile interaction" issue. Ditto virtual pets - you could have a little dog or rabbit or dragon or fairy or whatever bounding around, and I'd imagine they can double as an assistant via the fake-AI systems like siri/alexa/watson/etc. HUDs can be neat; they could be the kind that show general information like names and whatnot based on other users' systems, and they could also do things like show exploded diagrams for mechanics working on things. Though of course, you also need to look out for things like virtual billboards in the sky or advertising wars where one company tries to cover up another company's physical ad space

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

But my phone needs to be razor thin!.. Even though I put it in a water/crashproof case that's like an inch thick, probably after I already cracked the glass screen/back

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I feel like I want to give a lot of credit to Blizzard. Say what you will about the actual content of WoW, but the game was incredibly optimized. I don't feel like looking up any hard numbers right now, but that game would run with extremely old hardware compared to other games at the time.

Yes, it had a really low bottom-end of graphic fidelity, but it helped set the expectation that your computer doesn't have to be trashed after a year or two passed

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I love the idea of FireWire and the fact that it could actually reach its started bus speeds without requiring an insane amount of processor overhead, but I'm fine with not having it on my computer since some FireWire exploits can give remote devices direct access to your ram. Also, it's not just that usb3 came out - FireWire was a thing before even usb2 was commonplace. Compare more than 4x the top speed of high speed Ethernet (back then it was basically 10m or 100m, no gigabit) to just around 1mb/s via usb and you'll get the idea why tons of stuff including the better webcams and external drives ran on FireWire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Esata took over for fw800 for people that cared about speed on drives, and not enough people had video cameras with 800 (most had that weird fewer-pin mini 400). I'm sure there were industrial uses or probably high channel audio mixers, but nothing public i can think of